Page 6 of 16 FirstFirst ... 3456789 ... LastLast

Thread: n00b 0f l337?

Admin
    Hoses will leak a vacuum. Pressure test with nitro.
    UNDER THE ICE .com
    Phase Change Cooling

is the remedy

Diablo 3! Who's Excited?
    Leaked 50psi out of 200psi in 12 hours. When I changed the seals on the hoses I pressure tested them and they held 200 psi fine. It looks like another leak, guess I'll dunk the system again. This is becoming a nightmare

Xtreme Addict
    omg that sucks I was really hoping to hear that luck was on your side today, maybe tomorrow???
    Case: Corsair 400R
    PSU: Corsair HX1000W
    mobo: Maximus IV Gene
    CPU: 2500K @ 4.2ghz 1.19 volts
    RAM: Gskill Ripjaws 1866mhz 2 x 4 gigs
    OS Drive: Kingston Hyper X ssd 120 gig
    Graphics: XFX HD5850
    Cooling: Corsair H100

Diablo 3! Who's Excited?
    Grabbing the tooth brush and soap and soaping all the joints. If this doesn't work I'll dunk it again, and if that doesn't work then I'll chop off the HX and condenser and pressure test them separately.

Diablo 3! Who's Excited?
    Been dunked for an hour now, it has been losing roughly 7 psi per hour and yet I see no bubbles... wtf? I'm getting close to the point of bashing this thing with a sledge hammer and starting over. Maybe the HX is compromised internally and leaking into the 2nd stage? Going to leave it overnight again.

Here to help
    Quote Originally Posted by [XC] gomeler View Post
    Been dunked for an hour now, it has been losing roughly 7 psi per hour and yet I see no bubbles... wtf? I'm getting close to the point of bashing this thing with a sledge hammer and starting over. Maybe the HX is compromised internally and leaking into the 2nd stage? Going to leave it overnight again.
    Put guages on both if you have an internal leak the sum of the two pressures will be equal, however on will increase and one will decrease.

If one or both are decreasing without an equal increase in the other you have an external leak.

regards

john.

"Thermodynamics is a funny subject. The first time you go through it, you don't understand it at all. The second time you go through it, you think you understand it, except for one or two points. The third time you go through it, you know you don't understand it, but by that time you are so used to that subject, it doesn't bother you anymore".

Diablo 3! Who's Excited?
    Quote Originally Posted by pythagoras View Post
    Put guages on both if you have an internal leak the sum of the two pressures will be equal, however on will increase and one will decrease.

If one or both are decreasing without an equal increase in the other you have an external leak.

regards

john.
    Yup, that is the next step, problem is the valves are currently under 6 inches of water

edit: hefted the thing out of the water and hooked up gauges to both stages. 1st stage is at 140psi, 2nd stage is at 10 psi. I've regassed the 1st stage twice to 200psi, so it isn't leaking between stages otherwise the 2nd stage would have risen considerably.

I dunked my gauges also while hooked up to the cascade, no leaks there, so I'm thoroughly stumped. No visible bubbles, everything is under water, and yet it is still losing gas. Could it be leaking from such a small pinhole that the bubbles would dissolve into the water and not form bubbles when soapy water is applied?
    Last edited by [XC] gomeler; 05-12-2009 at 04:27 PM.

I am Xtreme
    When doing a bubble test you will have lots of small bubbles 1/16" to 1/8 " that don't grow in size. What you look for is the one that grows slowly to the size of a grape,maybe larger,depends of the surface tension of the soap or leak detector solution.

When you see one growing in size,you found the leak,it may take a couple to ten minutes just to get grape sized for a real small pinhole leak.

Put 350psi of nitrogen in both stages,the leak should show.

Inspect the joints visually, If it looks like the braze didn't flow smoothly there a good chance there a problem there.
    Last edited by wdrzal; 05-12-2009 at 05:19 PM.
    The Laws of Thermodynamics say:

Zeroth Law: "You must play the game."
    First Law: "You can't win."
    Second Law: "You can't break even."
    Third Law: "You can't quit the game."

Do you wanna Play Thermodynamics ???????? I forgot "you must"

Diablo 3! Who's Excited?
    Quote Originally Posted by wdrzal View Post
    When doing a bubble test you will have lots of small bubbles 1/16" to 1/8 " that don't grow in size. What you look for is the one that grows slowly to the size of a grape,maybe larger,depends of the surface tension of the soap or leak detector solution.

When you see one growing in size,you found the leak,it may take a couple to ten minutes just to get grape sized for a real small pinhole leak.

Put 350psi of nitrogen in both stages,the leak should show.

Inspect the joints visually, If it looks like the braze didn't flow smoothly there a good chance there a problem there.
    Thanks Walt. SDumper is going to loan me his electronic leak detector and I'll give that a shot tomorrow. If that doesn't help I'll then give the bubbles a shot again.

-100c Club
    Since there are no bubbles - are you sure it's the heat exchanger that's leaking?

Do you have a spare stainless steel suction line extra? Flare the connector, remove the valve core, mount the hose to you manifold and service port with 1/4" SAE nuts, charge 200psi nitrogen and observe.

I am Xtreme
    I noticed on the pic of unit in tub that the insulation was on the suction line and evap. That small leak and the gas will be trapped inside the neoprene. Also notice the control out of the water,check flare on back.

My money (and high probability)is on a tube/joint/evap/suction line noob brazed,or a flare he made. Unless you have leaky hoses or manifold. You need to scrutinize every last connection.

Diablo 3! Who's Excited?
    I'm just worried about the 1st stage right now. The 2nd stage is maintaining pressure at 10psi regardless of the 1st stage, so it isn't leaking between stages. The entire 1st stage is under water and I tossed my gauges in there while I was at it, no leaks/bubbles. I'll strip off the remaining flexline and push it all under water but if there is a leak there it doesn't explain why the 1st stage is leaking.

I am Xtreme
    Shouldn't post after being up all night,forgot your working on the first stage.........

I wouldn't hold my breath on holding 10 psi.

But leave the insulation on until you pressure test the second stage.

I am Xtreme
    You know this Builder/customer relations thread is turing into a Fix-it thread. Maybe Start a new Thread in phase cooling for this unit and when fixed come back and update here.

The message is getting lost with all the advice. Every time I hit "submit" I fell guilty posting here in this section.

Just my thoughts.

Diablo 3! Who's Excited?
    Scott dropped off his leak detector and it is freaking out around another joint near the one I repaired. There are two reducers and a coupling in this region so it makes sense for this thing to freak out here. I'm going to try and remove the suction line on the 1st stage from the HX to the original solid copper and put in a single piece of copper to remove all these questionable joints.

Xtremely unstable
    This is all making me very glad I don't have this here. Thanks again.
    dx58so
    w3520@4100
    4x1gb corsair ddr3-1333
    gtx 295
    TR ultra-x, 2 scythe ultrakaze push/pull
    xclio stablepower 1000
    vista ultimate

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    -------------------------------

would you crunch if you thought it would save her life?

maybe it will!

-100c Club
    Great news gom and thanks once again to sdumper for lending you his leak detector!

Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by runmc View Post
    My hats off to ya Chris. Your taking on a big job!! Hope you didn't bite off more than you want to chew.
    I quote myself
    UNDER THE ICE .com
    Phase Change Cooling

is the remedy

Xtreme Member
    Electronic leak detector. If your using just nitrogen it shouldnt pick up. Unless it an ultrasonic detector.

Check the pressure switch. the bellows in them will go bad and leak.

Diablo 3! Who's Excited?
    Quote Originally Posted by ultralo1 View Post
    Electronic leak detector. If your using just nitrogen it shouldnt pick up. Unless it an ultrasonic detector.

Check the pressure switch. the bellows in them will go bad and leak.
    I charged the system with 100psi of R22 for the leak detector.

-100c Club
    R22? Shhhhhh, don't let EPA guys hear ya

Quote Originally Posted by tiborrr View Post
    R22? Shhhhhh, don't let EPA guys hear ya
    We make 160,000 lbs. per day of R22 where I work.
    Quote Originally Posted by chuchnit View Post
    Why do you always have to bring two sockets into everything?
    Quote Originally Posted by Movieman View Post
    Because a one socket system is only 1/2 a system..
    You got two balls don't you?
    I rest my case!

http://www.usdebtclock.org/

Diablo 3! Who's Excited?
    Think the leaks are taken care of. It was holding vacuum for 3 hours, pressurizing it now and going to let it sit over night. If there is a leak 12 hours at 200psi should show.

Diablo 3! Who's Excited?
    *face palm* lost a little over 12 psi. Ripping out the HX and starting over with a fresh HX and fresh copper pipe.

-100c Club
    Smart idea, now trash that HX, relax, drink a beer and re-braze.

Best wishes & good luck with re-build,
    Niko

Page 6 of 16 FirstFirst ... 3456789 ... LastLast