Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Mini Test Report: Detroit Thermo D5 Top

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by skinnee View Post
    I enjoyed communicating back and forth with DetroitAC and shipping was always quick. (I'm a hop, skip and a jump away though).
    Agreed. The package came promptly, and was packed very professionally. When I requested instructions (I know, picky picky...probably could have done it without them), he responded within an hour. I'll (hopefully) be installing mine tomorrow, but I haven't heard back on how likely it will be to re-use my existing o-ring yet. I don't have any CPU air cooling around, and don't want to be without a rig while I wait for a new ring to come. My pump is only about a month old, but I don't know if that necessarily means anything.

--Matt
    Last edited by mattkosem; 12-04-2008 at 06:16 PM.
    My Rig :
    Core i5 4570S - ASUS Z87I-DELUXE - 16GB Mushkin Blackline DDR3-2400 - 256GB Plextor M5 Pro Xtreme

Never go full retard
    Quote Originally Posted by mattkosem View Post
    Agreed. The package came promptly, and was packed very professionally. When I requested instructions (I know, picky picky), he responded within an hour. I'll (hopefully) be installing mine tomorrow, but I haven't heard back on how likely it will be to re-use my existing o-ring yet. I don't have any CPU air cooling around, and don't want to be without a rig while I wait for a new ring to come. My pump is only about a month old, but I don't know if that necessarily means anything.

--Matt
    I did not use the stock o-ring. If you look at the inside of the top, you should see a lubricated o-ring already seated in the o-ring cavity surrounding the spot where you place the motor and impeller.

Follow the installation instructions, and you're set!

Xtreme Addict
    Think this would A. Fit a D4, and B. be of any use?

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by skinnee View Post
    I did not use the stock o-ring. If you look at the inside of the top, you should see a lubricated o-ring already seated in the o-ring cavity surrounding the spot where you place the motor and impeller.

Follow the installation instructions, and you're set!

Ooooh, nice. I see it in there. I misunderstood what he meant by "If the stock O-ring is still stuck to the face of the motor, get rid of it."

Thanks!
    My Rig :
    Core i5 4570S - ASUS Z87I-DELUXE - 16GB Mushkin Blackline DDR3-2400 - 256GB Plextor M5 Pro Xtreme

I am Xtreme-ly Unemployed
    Quote Originally Posted by [XC] Kayin View Post
    Think this would A. Fit a D4
    It should, since the D4 and D5 are very similar (read: practically identical, aside from the motor... and maybe some small impeller differences).

and B. be of any use?
    Haven't had time to work up a curve for the D4 with Detroit top yet.

BTW, I got those pumps shipped out to you today (sorry for the delay)... I'll PM you a tracking number in a bit.
    I'm doing science and I'm still alive...

Xtreme Addict
    Just put my DtroitAC tops on today. Was easy as pie! Mmmm pie! But these things are fantastic and also a hidden bonus that I did not even think of was that I was able to get the two pumps even closer together since the rings were no longer in the way at the bottom of my build. So that was pretty sweet too! Thanks DetroitAC for these pump tops. Can't wait to play with them now when I go home. Just had enough time to get the tops on and leave for work. I think I am going to get some custom brackets made for this as well since it did not need as much clearance since it has no ring and could easily come down almost an inch.
    Last edited by Sadasius; 12-05-2008 at 01:17 PM.

Xtreme Addict
    I got my DetroitAC top in today as well. I don't yet have all of the air completely bled from my system, but my max Linpak temps are down 2C. The hotter (primary) core on the X2 is down 3C. My ambient is 1C higher than is typical too! I have to say, I wasn't really expecting to see more than 1C difference with this top. This loop must be more restrictive than I thought! I installed it on a MCP655-B along with DD FatBoy barbs. Just a note to anyone that might choose to use these barbs, you need to tighten them down until the flares are flush with the body of the pump head. I tightened mine to snug initially, and found that it wasn't sufficient. It may not hurt to get some thicker o-rings for the barbs if you get nervous about things like that. The install was a breeze, took no more than 30 minutes to remove the pump from the loop, swap the top, and get it back in for bleeding. It's been in and running for 2 hours now, no signs of leakage!

Thank you DetroitAC! Wonderful product!

--Matt
    Last edited by mattkosem; 12-05-2008 at 09:38 PM.
    My Rig :

Xtreme Addict
    My GPUs and CPU are now closer temperatures at idle. I'm seeing 24/23C on the GPUs and 24 on the CPU at idle. I was previously seeing 26/24 on the GPUs and 26C on the CPU at idle. All examples with an ambient of 22C.

--Matt
    Last edited by mattkosem; 12-06-2008 at 12:33 AM.
    My Rig :

Banned
    I got my top today, all I can say is WOW, the size is small as Sadasius mentioned above! I have not yet tested this top, but I am very happy with the quality and looks, not having to use the stupid ring to tighten the top to the pump is a great idea! DetroitAC has done an amazing job!!

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by mcoffey View Post
    Here's a question. When using the UN Design pump bracket, is there enough clearence between the pumps back and bracket base to flip the pump so the center inlet is facing up? If I use the tops, I still want to be able to orientate the pumps as shown here.
    Yes there should be enough room. The diameter of the stock mounting ring is ~3.4" and my pump top is 2.8" wide, so there should be an extra 0.3" space.

I don't have a UN designs bracket, maybe someone else could check it to be sure.
    You see what you did there? You got between me and the coffee, now this creates a SITUATION!

Xtreme Enthusiast
    2nd question. You got 4 of those bad boys left for ASAP shipping

andyc
    I've got a silly number of them on hand
    You see what you did there? You got between me and the coffee, now this creates a SITUATION!

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Yeah, that would be great if somebody could confirm. The one tricky thing will be the pumps offset outlet from center.
    andyc
    I have two tops coming my way, hopefully they will arrive soon, in a few days.
    and I happen to have the UN 360 bracket for the D5 (got two actually).
    If you are not on the rush with this I can take measurements after mounting.
    and see if the pump can rotate 360 degrees, which you specifically want to know if it can face up right ?

let me know.

PC: Intel Core i7 920 D0 | Kingston Hyperx T1 6GB 2000Mhz 8-8-8 RAM | Foxconn Bloodrage GTI | Sapphire 4870X2 | Perc 5/i - WD 640AAKSx4 RAID0 | Asus 2014L1T | Dell 2407WFP | Lian Li G70 Silver Watercooled
    WaterCooling: Q² Project by The-Fox
    CPU Loop: Swiftech Apogee GTZ | Feser X-Changer 480 | Swiftech MCP655 Vario w/ DetroitAC top | EK Multioption RES 250 Rev.2 | Tygon R3603 1/2" | YL D12SL@1350RPM x4
    GPU Loop: EK-FC4870 X2 Nickel | Swiftech MCR320 | Swiftech MCP655 Vario w/DetroitAC top | EK Multioption RES 150 Rev.2 | Tygon R3603 1/2" | YL D12SL@1350RPM x3

Xtreme Enthusiast
    2.8" is the width of the top
    outlet is offset 0.9" from the center of the block

Xtreme Enthusiast
    I'm also interested to see how this fits my bracket. I'm in the middle of doing the next revisions for my brackets and one of the criteria is that they are universal for all the different aftermarket tops.
    I don't have Detroits top so I can't test it with the new revisions. I'll be watching this thread to see how things fit up.
    By the way the top looks really well done Detroit.
    i7 970 4.0 Ghz 1.325v // Asus P6X58D Premium // Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit // 12gb Corsair Dominators // 2- GTX 580 Hydrocoppers in SLI// 2-OCZ Vertex 2 Raid//128Gb Corsair SSD (Temp Storage) // Custom Wall Mount Case // Corsair 1000W // SyncMaster 2433BW // Dual loops 2-laing 355's each with XSPC dual top // (UN) 3G Brackets & X-Brackets // Swiftech Apogee XT // 2 x 120.3 & 2 x 120.2 Swiftech Rads//

Wall Mount Build Log: http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/...d.php?t=242186
    MM Extended Ascension Build Log:http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/...d.php?t=212236[/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE]

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Hey armeniandave,
    If you are preparing a little revision for your UN brackets, I suggest offering just the small plate with screw and nuts will be a nice offer.
    In that way, users can mount 2 pumps on the same bracket (as I am planning to do) and only buy 1 Bracket and the additional plate and not a complete new bracket.
    Probably not a lot of user will do that but worth trying IMO.

Moreover, I think a new design which will offer vertical and horizontal 360 degrees rotation would be very nice.
    You are already half way there

On a side note, I really like your brackets, don't get me wrong, it's just an offer to make a great product even better

As I said, I will be posting fitment notes along with pictures for the guys here

PC: Intel Core i7 920 D0 | Kingston Hyperx T1 6GB 2000Mhz 8-8-8 RAM | Foxconn Bloodrage GTI | Sapphire 4870X2 | Perc 5/i - WD 640AAKSx4 RAID0 | Asus 2014L1T | Dell 2407WFP | Lian Li G70 Silver Watercooled
    WaterCooling: Q² Project by The-Fox
    CPU Loop: Swiftech Apogee GTZ | Feser X-Changer 480 | Swiftech MCP655 Vario w/ DetroitAC top | EK Multioption RES 250 Rev.2 | Tygon R3603 1/2" | YL D12SL@1350RPM x4
    GPU Loop: EK-FC4870 X2 Nickel | Swiftech MCR320 | Swiftech MCP655 Vario w/DetroitAC top | EK Multioption RES 150 Rev.2 | Tygon R3603 1/2" | YL D12SL@1350RPM x3

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Great and thanks for getting back. That means the overall footprint of the two pumps would be around 1" wider than normal give or take. So now I can see what fits in the bottom of the rad box.

One more question if you would please. How much more narrow is the pump with your top, than it was stock? It seems like it's quite a bit less wide with your top. If so, that would help the offset also.

andyc
    Stock is 3.4" wide and mine is 2.8" wide, or are you asking something else and I'm not getting it?

Never go full retard
    Andy, I can confirm that the Detroit Thermo top on the (UN)designs bracket has the clearance for a inlet straight up orientation, plenty of clearance.

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Petra View Post
    It should, since the D4 and D5 are very similar (read: practically identical, aside from the motor... and maybe some small impeller differences).

Haven't had time to work up a curve for the D4 with Detroit top yet.

BTW, I got those pumps shipped out to you today (sorry for the delay)... I'll PM you a tracking number in a bit.
    I'd like to see how well they work on the D4 also. I have my microres mounted very close to my D4 and that causes the inlet on the reservoir to have to bend to get past the outlet on the D4. The DC top offsets the outlet and inlet on the pump which would work great for my setup.
    Rocketfish/Lian Li case
    Asus P8Z77-V Pro
    i5 3570K
    4x4GB Corsair Vengeance 1600
    XFX R7950
    Antec TPQ1000

Quote Originally Posted by Aberration View Post
    Who cares about looks, this isnt XtremeBling.com!
    Exactly
    ASUS Rampage Extreme IV BIOS 3204 3930K @ 4.7GHz offset voltage +0.015 XSPC Raystorm H20 block 16GB Corsair Dominator GT 2180MHz AX-1200 Zotac GTX680 4GB Heatkiller GPUX3 Block 1.272GHz OCZ Revo3 240GB PCIe 4x SSD Win8 64bit OCZ Vertex 60G Arowana FW Linux Mint 13 2x OCZ Vertex 60G RAID 0 X-Fi Titanium Killer 2100 NIC TM HOTAS Warthog Saitek Pro Flight Combat Pedals

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123