Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst ... 2345678 ... LastLast

Thread: Core i7 Vdimm/VTT Graveyard :D

Xtreme Enthusiast
    I've been running the following for 3 weeks now

CPU Voltage- 1.44v
    VTT Voltage- 1.34v
    Ram Voltage-1.65v

Everything seems ok. It even runs with HT Enabled. I'm under water idling at 40C and loading at 68C. When i enable HT i Load at around 78C. It's crazy how much of a difference it makes on the temps of the chip.

As for my CPU Voltage, have a run out of room? Am i shortining the life of my CPU at that CPU Voltage?? or can i try to hit 4.4 at 1.48 cpu voltage?
    Last edited by jasonelmore; 12-08-2008 at 11:35 PM.
    Main Rig
    • Intel Core i7 4790K CPU Stock @ 4.4Ghz
    • Asus Maximus VI Extreme Motherboard
    • 32GB GSKILL Trident X 2400MHZ RAM
    • EVGA GTX 980 Superclocked 4GB GDDR5
    • Corsair TX850W v2 TX Power Supply 70A 12V Rail
    • Swiftech Apex Ultima w/ Apogee Drive II & Dual 120 RAD w/integrated res
    • 2X Seagate 333AS 1TB 7,200 32MB HD's in RAID 0
    • 2X Samsung 830's 128GB in RAID 0
    • Windows 8.1 Pro x64
    • Coolermaster HAF-XB
    • Dual Asus ProArt PA248Q 24" IPS LED Monitors
    • Samsung 46" 5600 Series Smart HDTV
    • iPhone 6 Plus 64GB AT&T & Xbox One

UNOFFICIAL Rampage II Extreme Thread

Back from the Dead
    Erm.. you know you're not really running a 21 mult right? It's just the turbo mode kicking in on single threaded apps..
    World Community Grid - come join a great team and help us fight for a better tomorrow![size=1]

Xtreme Enthusiast
    haha yeah i know what turbo mode is.
    Main Rig
    • Windows 8.1 Pro x64
    • Coolermaster HAF-XB

Back from the Dead
    So don't talk about running the 920 at 4,4Ghz - because you can't get BCLK that high up (yet)
    World Community Grid - come join a great team and help us fight for a better tomorrow![size=1]

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by jcool View Post
    So don't talk about running the 920 at 4,4Ghz - because you can't get BCLK that high up (yet)
    well if you want to get technical about it

Geeeez...
    Main Rig
    • Windows 8.1 Pro x64
    • Coolermaster HAF-XB

xtreme energy
    I don't know if it has been posted or not but here is official info from Intel docs:

Vtta=Vttd = 1.35V max.
    Vddq (for DDR3) = 1.875V max.

Xtreme Addict
    just wanted to pitch in a datapoint.
    benched air for a few days at ~1.4vcore, 1.6~1.65 QPI/DRAM (VTT), and 1.6-1.7 vDRAM.
    DI bench session on friday at ~1.6-68vcore, 1.75 QPI/DRAM (VTT), and 1.65-1.75 vDRAM.

Back on air now and behaving as well as ever. Interestingly enough my Kingston hyperx 2000mhz kit XMP sets QPI/DRAM to 1.65v automatically; which will get uclk up to 4300 on air, 1.75 is good up to 4500 and maybe higher.

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by saaya View Post
    huh? your xmp profile increase uncore voltage?
    and to 1.55v? wee, thats a big high isnt it?
    i mean everybody is running 1.55 uncore when pushing i7 it seems, but it shouldnt be the default setting!
    Quote Originally Posted by dinos22 View Post
    yeah when you select profile 1 in XMP profile it says that vdimm is 1.65 and QPI voltage is 1.55...i assume that is uncore voltage
    Yes, Intel XMP SPD specification for Intel X58/Tri-channel requires that the memory module manufacturer specify in the SPD what voltage to run the DIMM as well as what voltage to run the uncore/QPI/memory controller voltage.

Assistant Administrator systemviper's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Slovnaft View Post
    benched air for a few days at ~1.4vcore, 1.6~1.65 QPI/DRAM (VTT), and 1.6-1.7 vDRAM.
    DI bench session on friday at ~1.6-68vcore, 1.75 QPI/DRAM (VTT), and 1.65-1.75 vDRAM.

Back on air now and behaving as well as ever. Interestingly enough my Kingston hyperx 2000mhz kit XMP sets QPI/DRAM to 1.65v automatically; which will get uclk up to 4300 on air, 1.75 is good up to 4500 and maybe higher.
    So your using the Kingston ram, that some great news, I just got mine a few days ago and I am itching to get them into my rig. So do you like the Kingston? I kina guess you do by the post but what is your opinion and have you run other ram....

thanks in advance
    HWbot - Team: XtremeSystems
    XS cruncher - Team: XtremeSystems
    OCN Feedback
    HEAT

*** Being kind is sometimes better then being right.

just to be clear VTT = QPI/DRAM voltage.
    1.65v has been my sweetspot, i need it to run 2133mhz RAM; the UCLK is the killer - can't run faster than 4300. thenagain I'm still on stock hs
    One question which i7 do you have?
    H5N1 Online Dual Lian Li V2000B WC Triple Loop active
    i7 920 B Apogee GTZ/ DFI UT X58-T3eH8 Mips Coldzero WC/ Corsair 6Gb DDR3 w/ 2x Silenx 80mm 14dBA 32CFM Custom Coldzero Cooler
    HDA Xplosion @ DTT3500 DDL / Corsair HX1000W / Powercolor 4870X2 @ Dell 2408WFP + 2407WFP-HC
    5.6Tb (2x VelociRaptor300 RAID0, + 2x Seagate1.5Tb + 1 x Seagate1Tb + 1x Sam1Tb) w/2x Silentstar Quad Rev2
    Lazy OC'er Audio Upgrade Next Feedback Techzone

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by systemviper View Post
    So your using the Kingston ram, that some great news, I just got mine a few days ago and I am itching to get them into my rig. So do you like the Kingston? I kina guess you do by the post but what is your opinion and have you run other ram....

thanks in advance
    Honestly i'm a bit disappointed with the Kingston ram. Insofar as I've tried I haven't gotten above 2133 for 32M stable on CL9, and the highest i've achieved thus far for CL8 is 1800. These are all on air, however, so QPI/DRAM stayed at 1.65v. Did not scale with volts. In my DI session I did a SPi32M run at 4560mhz uclk, but was not pushing the RAM (i think it was at 2000 maybe), so next sesh (tomorrow?) I'll be seeing how far this kit can go given sufficient uclk capacity. but I'm not anticipating results akin to fugger's corsair kit. I've seen a few kits of new ram getting better clocks in 2T, so I might try that next.

Quote Originally Posted by D3mon_Hunt3r View Post
    One question which i7 do you have?

965. It has runaway amp at 1.7 under DI, but is pretty tolerant.

Quote Originally Posted by D3mon_Hunt3r View Post
    Another doubt,

On a 965 can we run with a Uncore multi inferior to 2x the Memory Multiplier?

Stable.

And is it stable with a 20x Uncore Multi and a 10x Memory Multiplier?

Tks.
    As i didn't obtain an answer in the other topic i'll ask you as you seem to have one.

This is because i am investigating the possibility of running a retail 920 with DDR 2000 (200 bclock, 20x cpu multi, 18x(36x) qpi multi, 20x Uncore multi and 10x Memory Multi) instead of having to go to a 965 just because the Uncore seems not to be able to hold the 4Ghz (on the 920's)

Tks.
    Last edited by D3mon_Hunt3r; 12-11-2008 at 06:29 PM.
    H5N1 Online Dual Lian Li V2000B WC Triple Loop active
    i7 920 B Apogee GTZ/ DFI UT X58-T3eH8 Mips Coldzero WC/ Corsair 6Gb DDR3 w/ 2x Silenx 80mm 14dBA 32CFM Custom Coldzero Cooler
    HDA Xplosion @ DTT3500 DDL / Corsair HX1000W / Powercolor 4870X2 @ Dell 2408WFP + 2407WFP-HC
    5.6Tb (2x VelociRaptor300 RAID0, + 2x Seagate1.5Tb + 1 x Seagate1Tb + 1x Sam1Tb) w/2x Silentstar Quad Rev2
    Lazy OC'er Audio Upgrade Next Feedback Techzone

Xtreme Member
    still no problem for now , i've used benching 1.75-1.85v/ 1.61v, for Daily i was setup 1.70v/1.45v all air cooled, just looking find

nice Thread saaya will be same dead GTR Thread for used

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Been 2 weeks now running 24/7

Vcore - 1.48~1.5
    QPI - 1.45v
    RAM - 1.7v

No issues YET

Moving my OC up a bit and I think I'm gonna end up with a 24/7 vcore of 1.5v. My chip is a dog, so I'm actually hoping I kill it. I'll keep you guys updated
    2600k @ 5ghz / z68 Pro / 8gb Ripjaws X / GTX 580 SLi
    2x Inferno raid 0 / WD 1TB Black / Thermaltake 1200w
    Dell 3008 WFP / Dual Loop WC MM UFO

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by sonofander View Post
    Been 2 weeks now running 24/7

Vcore - 1.48~1.5
    QPI - 1.45v
    RAM - 1.7v

No issues YET

Moving my OC up a bit and I think I'm gonna end up with a 24/7 vcore of 1.5v. My chip is a dog, so I'm actually hoping I kill it. I'll keep you guys updated
    I'll take it...

Good thread saaya. I hope that you guys can find more info towards debunking this.

Core i7 920 D0 B-batch (4.1) (Kinda Stable?) | DFI X58 T3eH8 (Fed up with its' issues, may get a new board soon) | Patriot 1600 (9-9-9-24) (for now) | XFX HD 4890 (971/1065) (for now) |
    80GB X25-m G2 | WD 640GB | PCP&C 750 | Dell 2408 LCD | NEC 1970GX LCD | Win7 Pro | CoolerMaster ATCS 840 {Modded to reverse-ATX, WC'ing internal}

CPU Loop: MCP655 > HK 3.0 LT > ST 320 (3x Scythe G's) > ST Res >Pump
    GPU Loop: MCP655 > MCW-60 > PA160 (1x YL D12SH) > ST Res > BIP 220 (2x YL D12SH) >Pump

Xtreme Member
    nice post.

Xtreme X.I.P.
    Quote Originally Posted by boblemagnifique View Post
    I killed my XE C0
    how? vcore? vtt? what voltages?

Quote Originally Posted by miahallen View Post
    MSI Eclipse SLI...wouldn't have been my first choice, but I needed to do some homework for the THG Competition in Paris on Dec 13th & 14th...Team IORNMODS is representing as Team USA. Unfortunately, looks like my time to do homework has come to an end. I lost a second memory channel today. And the setup is quite unstable in single channel mode, even with stock clocks....I hope I learned enough to represent in Paris.

I think when this is over, I'll have to get the P6T or a GB
    did you always run higher than default vtt with 1.8v vdimm?
    are you sure you increased vtt to 1.45v?
    how long did you run it this way?
    what stepping was your cpu? B or C?
    ES or retail?

sorry to hear about the cpu dieing... i hope it wasnt one you bought :S

just to be clear VTT = QPI/DRAM voltage.
    1.65v has been my sweetspot, i need it to run 2133mhz RAM; the UCLK is the killer - can't run faster than 4300. thenagain I'm still on stock hs
    qpi/dram voltage is VTT... the real and propper term is VTT imo, thats what its called in all intel papers. giving a voltage a marketing name or name after the effects it has when beeing increased only results in confusion :P

Quote Originally Posted by BulldogPO View Post
    Saaya, so wich are concidered to be "safe" voltages for D9JNL chips with nehalem?
    I´m using 1.8vDimm and 1.35V QPI with GA-EX58-UD5 right now
    This is my best bandwith shot:
    http://www.aijaa.com/v.php?i=3202172.jpg
    why should it be different than on x48? if the drive strength is the same it should be the same voltage the chips can take before you test your luck and see if one of the chips on your sticks is sensitive to high vdimm and will blow or not.
    i never saw any d9jnl die at a voltage it could run memtest 86 stable at...

Quote Originally Posted by Drwho? View Post
    That sound very "strange" to me, the catastrophics diode protections are stopping any heat crazy stuff, and I never saw in our lab a test of transistor dieing so fast ... you are doing something very wrong. Did you modify your board or something like this? With enough cooling, I never saw the life so short.
    i didnt kill any core i7 with high vdimm so far, but ive only played with C0 chips...
    our engineers did with a renessance and B2/B3 (?) sample and that was months ago
    they didnt do anything crazy at all...
    when our engineers told our intel contacts they werent surprised at all and said "yeah, dont run more than 1.8v with B, itll degrade or kill the imc within hours to days on some chips. if it degrades you need more and more vdimm to run the same mem speeds stable"
    i can tell you who at intel we worked with if you want... fugger knows them too... dont wanna mention their names here tho, just pm me and ill let you know.

Quote Originally Posted by Drwho? View Post
    Do you still have the processor that you claimed are dead? I am interested in getting them for analysis, since we never saw that kind of extreme death.
    Francois
    i dont think they still have it, that was before idf and the chip has been returned to intel a long time ago afaik...

Quote Originally Posted by Lee_Kay View Post
    I have ran my C0 revision (I think it is) 965 with patriot memory at 1.9v and stock Vtt through prime95 for 24hrs and through 10 days general use before the actual memory started to fail and refused to post.

Now I am running Mushkin 2x6Gb kits at 1.64v at 1333mhz because the latest bios update refuses to allow speeds of 1600mhz
    was that a retail or ES chip?
    is the memory fine now on the new cpu?
    what board? you know that the asus boards set vtt vcore and vdimm automatically even when it shows default, if you set high mem speeds, right?

sorry to hear your cpu died
    how exactly did it happen?
    no boot, or instability?

Quote Originally Posted by FUGGER View Post
    I have been running 2v 24/7 on phase
    how long now? must bee 2 months at least right?
    and your running what vtt? still around 1.6?

Quote Originally Posted by jasonelmore View Post
    I've been running the following for 3 weeks now

CPU Voltage- 1.44v
    VTT Voltage- 1.34v
    Ram Voltage-1.65v

Everything seems ok. It even runs with HT Enabled. I'm under water idling at 40C and loading at 68C. When i enable HT i Load at around 78C. It's crazy how much of a difference it makes on the temps of the chip.

As for my CPU Voltage, have a run out of room? Am i shortining the life of my CPU at that CPU Voltage?? or can i try to hit 4.4 at 1.48 cpu voltage?
    those voltages are fine, its the temps that are a tad high for 24/7 imo... you should try to get into the 60s... then again im not 100% sure how the core i7 temp ranges are, they seemed to have moved the temp probes within the cpu, so they might be at a hotter spot now than they were with core2duo/quad, so the temps we read are higher but still fine...

we will find out i guess... so far a couple of people are running close to 80 loaded and seem to be fine... i wouldnt recommend it though...

Quote Originally Posted by jcool View Post
    Erm.. you know you're not really running a 21 mult right? It's just the turbo mode kicking in on single threaded apps..
    dont know about other boards, but on BloodRage you can
    you can force turbo to always on and run 21x all the time... well not during boot, but thats it.

its setting uncore voltage aka vtt to 1.75v by default? damn!

Quote Originally Posted by zads View Post
    Yes, Intel XMP SPD specification for Intel X58/Tri-channel requires that the memory module manufacturer specify in the SPD what voltage to run the DIMM as well as what voltage to run the uncore/QPI/memory controller voltage.
    cool, thanks for the headsup! i didnt know that... but 1.75 vtt for stock speed... thats a LOT for 24/7...

Honestly i'm a bit disappointed with the Kingston ram. Insofar as I've tried I haven't gotten above 2133 for 32M stable on CL9, and the highest i've achieved thus far for CL8 is 1800. These are all on air, however, so QPI/DRAM stayed at 1.65v. Did not scale with volts. In my DI session I did a SPi32M run at 4560mhz uclk, but was not pushing the RAM (i think it was at 2000 maybe), so next sesh (tomorrow?) I'll be seeing how far this kit can go given sufficient uclk capacity. but I'm not anticipating results akin to fugger's corsair kit. I've seen a few kits of new ram getting better clocks in 2T, so I might try that next.
    965. It has runaway amp at 1.7 under DI, but is pretty tolerant.
    hmmm isnt that kingston 2000 mem micron based?
    if yes then it needs more juice to get higher i think.
    1.9-2.1 is usually the sweet spot for micron above that is where it stops scaling well, unles you have a really nice set of course..

Quote Originally Posted by nut311 View Post
    nice Thread saaya will be same dead GTR Thread for used
    i hope not, the gtr thread went way offtopic

thanks for the feedback everybody!
    ill update the first post now and add your infos

Xtreme X.I.P.
    Quote Originally Posted by zads
    are you sure about this?
    I checked with corsair and they said xmp doesnt set vtt...
    and i chedked with one of our fae's, we tested several xmp profiles on the intel reference board and none of them change vtt...
    hmmm

Xtreme Addict
    are you sure about this? I checked with corsair and they said xmp doesnt set vtt... and i chedked with one of our fae's, we tested several xmp profiles on the intel reference board and none of them change vtt... hmmm
    My kit sets 1.35 vtt when xmp is activated.

How come all this talk of a qpi/dram voltage, vtt/qpi voltage is one setting and dram is memory voltage no?
    TJ07 | Corsair HX1000W | Gigabyte EX58 Extreme | i7 930 @ 4ghz | Ek Supreme | Thermochill PA 120.3 | Laing DDC 12v w/ mod plexi top | 3x2gb Corsair 1600mhz | GTX 680 | Raid 0 300gb Velociraptor x 2 | Razer Lachesis & Lycosa | Win7 HP x64 | fluffy dice.

Xtreme X.I.P.
    asus calls vtt, the cpu uncore voltage, qpi/dram voltage...
    thats causing some confusion...

are you sure your KIT sets 1.35v vtt?
    maybe its the board setting the vtt?

i know the asus board sets higher vtt automatically as soon as you set a high mem speed...

oh and i checked, weve been running vtt 1.75v on cold as well for quite some time, and no problems so far...

Xtreme Enthusiast
    My rampage II Extreme has my VTT that low with my RAM at 1650. on AUTO
    Main Rig
    • Windows 8.1 Pro x64
    • Coolermaster HAF-XB

Xtreme X.I.P.
    i can benchs with my UD5 / OCZ D9GTR at 2.2/2.22v since 4/5 hours by day (in 5 days)

It's ok , i have too on aircooling my STT 1800 at 2.36/2.4v and no pb for me
    OCM Member / IXTREMTEK Admin !!

DDR1 2*256 BH5 Adata @324.7Mhz 1.5/2/2/5 1T at 4v @318.6Mhz Benchs
    DDR2 1*512 Kingston Pc8500 @702Mhz 5/5/5/18 at 2.42v réel
    DDR2 2*1024 Cell Shock Pc8000c4 @534Mhz 3/3/3/8 at 3.5v réel

Cooling : XP90C , Big Typhoon , waterchiller R507 , LN2 ....

Xtreme Addict
    asus calls vtt, the cpu uncore voltage, qpi/dram voltage... thats causing some confusion.
    Ahh i see, well that's just beyond stupidity as far as i can see because althoug i7 has more relationships between certain voltages than before, QPI and memory are completely different settings.

Please Asus users, avoid the term!

My GB calls it 'QPI/VTT' which is more reasonable but if everyone just said VTT it would be better.

I've not actually used the xmp profile, but in the bios when you activate it a list is displayed of values it will set, including vtt, dram, timings and CR.

:update: Well forget about me testing XMP profile, i just tried to use it and i couldn't post
    Last edited by Xello; 12-19-2008 at 07:42 AM.
    TJ07 | Corsair HX1000W | Gigabyte EX58 Extreme | i7 930 @ 4ghz | Ek Supreme | Thermochill PA 120.3 | Laing DDC 12v w/ mod plexi top | 3x2gb Corsair 1600mhz | GTX 680 | Raid 0 300gb Velociraptor x 2 | Razer Lachesis & Lycosa | Win7 HP x64 | fluffy dice.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    are you sure about this?
    I checked with corsair and they said xmp doesnt set vtt...
    and i chedked with one of our fae's, we tested several xmp profiles on the intel reference board and none of them change vtt...
    hmmm
    Using the Corsair 1600C8 on the Asus P6T-Deluxe with everything on AUTO, turning XMP profile on sets the voltage of VTT(QPI/DRAM) to 1.35V, and VDIMM to 1.66V. All other voltage settings remain on AUTO.

Quote Originally Posted by creidiki View Post
    We are a band of fearless modern-day alchemists who, for fun, run solutions through sophisticated, if overpriced, separator setups, and then complain when we succeed in separating said solution.

Xtreme Legend
    i've been running around 1.5v-1.65v uncore and 1.9-2.3vdimm on my benches so far and both CPUs are doing fine

Quote Originally Posted by eternal_fantasy View Post
    Using the Corsair 1600C8 on the Asus P6T-Deluxe with everything on AUTO, turning XMP profile on sets the voltage of VTT(QPI/DRAM) to 1.35V, and VDIMM to 1.66V. All other voltage settings remain on AUTO.
    looks like uncore voltage is a board function then
    Team.AU
    Got tube?
    GIGABYTE Australia
    Need a GIGABYTE bios or support?

Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst ... 2345678 ... LastLast