Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: XFX warranty sucks.

Engineering The Xtreme
    Quote Originally Posted by IanY View Post
    I see the sticker being peeled off, and nothing else. The sticker has no bearing on the health of the video card.
    It certainly has insight on how he treated the card when disassembling it, If he was being careful with the whole process it wouldn't look anything like that. He shorted the 280 with the water block I wonder why

that said I would imagine that XFX would glady accept the RMA if OP had just carefully used an Xacto knife to cut the stick around the outline of each screw head.... or just peeled the sticker off as a whole as he should have.

On the rise!
    Quote Originally Posted by SoulsCollective View Post
    Even if not, there's damage to parts of the card where no screws could possibly be hiding.
    I don't see any other damage to the card anywhere other than the sticker looking like horrible sh*t.

Xtreme Member
    Let me give you another tip. Buy an EVGA card if you are going to mod it. The screw holes aren't covered up. Do you want to take a chance using a hair dryer to warm the label, hoping you can get it back on to look right. Or poke some holes to find the screws, maybe I could have felt them if I had really tried. Oh wait, if I poke holes the card is damaged. Do you really think XFX would have taken the card back if I had cut out the screw holes. I admit I tore the label off because XFX is not mod friendly, if they were they wouldn't have covered the screw holes. This is a tactic used by XFX to avoid any warranty claims after a card has been modded. This is over as far as me getting a new card or my money back, its not going to happen. I just want to warn others that if you plan on modding that you should buy from a mod friendly company like EVGA. If this is not getting through then go ahead and buy an XFX card and mod it, I hope your card doesn't have problems if you do.

Oh, I shipped by UPS and it took about a week to get there.
    I didn't accuse XFX of wetting the card, I said the card was dry when I shipped it and I never got it wet. They said the card was wet, and I said the only way it could have gotten wet is if they somehow got it wet.
    EVGA X58 Classified-Win 7 RC 64
    Corsair HX1000
    Mushkin Redline 6-7-6-18
    EVGA 295x2 Aqua blocks
    Coolermaster ATCS 840
    i7 920 D0 - HK V3
    Thermochill 2x120
    XSPC RX 360
    Vertex 120, Velociraptor 300

Xtreme Addict
    I don't know the full story, but it's just a damaged and ripped up sticker, from what I see.
    E7200 @ 3.4 ; 7870 GHz 2 GB
    Intel's atom is a terrible chip.

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SNiiPE_DoGG View Post
    It certainly has insight on how he treated the card when disassembling it, If he was being careful with the whole process it wouldn't look anything like that. He shorted the 280 with the water block I wonder why

that said I would imagine that XFX would glady accept the RMA if OP had just carefully used an Xacto knife to cut the stick around the outline of each screw head.... or just peeled the sticker off as a whole as he should have.
    Yes go ahead and try carefully removing the label or cutting around the holes and if you have a problem send the card back and see what happens.

I see no reason for any modder to purchase an XFX GT200 series card when EVGA is available which has no label over the screwholes. You don't know that I shorted the card with the EK block, what an idiotic statement. If you go back and read my posts I never said I shorted the card. I really don't know how the card died but shorting certainly is one possibility. Its also possible that the card just chose to die at that moment for no apparent reason. It could have died when I pried the card off from the stock cooling block or any number of ways. I'm sure EVGA would have warrantied it anyway. Why you want to defend XFX is beyond me but it sounds like you may have a personal interest. I don't even work in an industry that is electronics rated or own stock in one.
    Corsair HX1000
    Mushkin Redline 6-7-6-18
    EVGA 295x2 Aqua blocks
    Coolermaster ATCS 840
    i7 920 D0 - HK V3
    Thermochill 2x120
    XSPC RX 360

Xtreme Addict
    Well the truth of what happened to that card will probably never be known. A multitude of things could have happened to kill it. A small leak, a drop on the floor, run over by a truck, a child playing with it in the toilet...etc I had not too much trouble trading in a few...yes a few of those 7950 GT's. The XFX rep can look that up actually under my same user name. Mind you I never sent in a card that looked so scuttled either. That card looks like Windex was used or something to try and peel the sticker off.

Engineering The Xtreme
    Quote Originally Posted by Waxking1 View Post
    Yes go ahead and try carefully removing the label or cutting around the holes and if you have a problem send the card back and see what happens.

I see no reason for any modder to purchase an XFX GT200 series card when EVGA is available which has no label over the screwholes. You don't know that I shorted the card with the EK block, what an idiotic statement. If you go back and read my posts I never said I shorted the card. I really don't know how the card died but shorting certainly is one possibility. Its also possible that the card just chose to die at that moment for no apparent reason. It could have died when I pried the card off from the stock cooling block or any number of ways. I'm sure EVGA would have warrantied it anyway. Why you want to defend XFX is beyond me but it sounds like you may have a personal interest. I don't even work in an industry that is electronics rated or own stock in one.
    look he called me an NV fanboy! *points at sig*

anywho, I guess I'm playing devils advocate here, so hear it like this: If I was a manufacturer and I got a card in the mail that looked like someone had had a seizure while holding a screwdriver to the back of the card and the card was dead as well, I couldn't bring my self to say "here have some free money to compensate for what you've done to your card"

I operate on ATI hardware 90% of the time with none of the generous warranties you get with some Nvidia OEMs. if you aren't careful and neat with your ATI card and it dies your just sh*t outta luck.
    Last edited by SNiiPE_DoGG; 11-12-2008 at 04:36 PM.

Xtreme Mentor
    I'm going to call them tomorrow. They emailed me today but weren't in the office, at least to answer calls, because of Veteran's Day.

The problem is that the XFX video card backing is completly covered so that you can't get to the screws. You have to peel the XFX plastic from the backside of the card to be able to take it apart. This is what the technician was calling water damage. I really am unclear on what they warranty, but I will find out tomorrow. I never tried to be dishonest about what caused the problem, and when I initiated the RMA I told them exactly what happened and they still issued me an RMA.

I really don't see how they could stay in business and not allow using an aftermaket cooling solution on their cards. I already bought another 280 and it is EVGA. When I bought the XFX, I wanted an EVGA 280 FTW but noone had one in stock so I went with the XFX XXX edition. If this had been EVGA, a new card would already be on the way back to me.
    i understand your frustration but evga is no walk in the park either. They sent me 4 bad 680i's until i said i want to have the credit from the 680 put on a second 8800gtx. i did that, paid for a 8800gtx, and didnt' get the 8800gtx for 4, 4 months after. i called in about twice a week and every tiem "oops thats not correct, ill look into that for ya".

mentally confused and prone to wandering

L-l-look at you, hacker.
    Quote Originally Posted by m411b View Post
    I don't see any other damage to the card anywhere other than the sticker looking like horrible sh*t.
    There're scratches on the locking flange near the PCI-E contact fingers, and the SLi connector at top is beaten up. But mainly I meant that if you look at where the screws are (all around the vents), and where the scratches are (all over the top of the card), it's pretty clear that there's more than just the damage required to remove the screws being done here.
    Rig specs
    CPU: i7 5960X Mobo: Asus X99 Deluxe RAM: 4x4GB G.Skill DDR4-2400 CAS-15 VGA: 2x eVGA GTX680 Superclock PSU: Corsair AX1200

Foundational Falsehoods of Creationism

Xtreme Member
    Point taken Snipe. No hard feelings here and I even understand XFXs POV, sort of. I just think they should be clear about no mods allowed instead of putting a sticker over the holes which would be difficult to circumvent to say the least.

What made me mad was when they lied about the card being wet. That and the fact that they accepted the RMA to begin with. I told them I put a waterblock on the card before I ever shipped it back. I would love to see someone pull that label off and put it back on and make it look new. If they were mod friendly they wouldn't have the label there.
    Corsair HX1000
    Mushkin Redline 6-7-6-18
    EVGA 295x2 Aqua blocks
    Coolermaster ATCS 840
    i7 920 D0 - HK V3
    Thermochill 2x120
    XSPC RX 360

Xtreme Member
    There may be some very minor scratches on the PCI-e copper connections, but if they are it is just from plugging and unplugging into the PCI[e slot. I think the picture makes it look a little worse than it did because of the way it catches the light, but I think the picture is accurate. The SLI connector was never used or pried around and the what looks like scratches is a result of removing the label only. Also the screws aren't scratched but were covered up with sticky glue pretty good.
    Corsair HX1000
    Mushkin Redline 6-7-6-18
    EVGA 295x2 Aqua blocks
    Coolermaster ATCS 840
    i7 920 D0 - HK V3
    Thermochill 2x120
    XSPC RX 360

Xtreme Mentor
    I dont think the XFX representative is in a position to lie. If he said the card was still wet, I believe it. I see absolutely no excuse for a water damaged card, it's happened to me, tough. I don't expect XFX or any other card contractor to absorb what you damaged. If anything, it's your fault for not properly leak testing the system, or possibly the fault of EK for sending you a block with a hole in it. Just because you think the water damage is insignificant, it does not mean it wont be caught. I've seen crap pulled like this before... many times. The difference is, they realized they made a dumb mistake and didn't bother to ask for an RMA.
    And that picture looks horrid, it looks like you beat your card to death with a baseball bat
    Last edited by Nanometer; 11-12-2008 at 04:55 PM.
    PC Lab Qmicra V2 Case SFFi7 950 4.4GHz 200 x 22 1.36 volts
    Cooled by Swiftech GTZ - CPX-Pro - MCR420+MCR320+MCR220 | Completely Silent loads at 62c
    GTX 470 EVGA SuperClocked Plain stock
    12 Gigs OCZ Reaper DDR3 1600MHz) 8-8-8-24
    ASUS Rampage Gene II |Four OCZ Vertex 2 in RAID-0(60Gig x 4) | WD 2000Gig Storage

Theater ::: Panasonic G20 50" Plasma | Onkyo SC5508 Processor | Emotiva XPA-5 and XPA-2 | CSi A6 Center| 2 x Polk RTi A9 Front Towers| 2 x Klipsch RW-12d
    Lian-LI HTPC | Panasonic Blu Ray 655k| APC AV J10BLK Conditioner |

Over my issue, i decided to call xfx hq in north america from the uk that was fun.Hopefully they can urge the people in the uk to answer me.
    http://gullysblog.blogspot.com/ I typed this with my own straw!

Xtreme Addict
    I think the thread title needs t be changed.

Not all XFX cards utilize the same heatsink design and their heatsinks can be removed without causing damage to themselves.

I for one had to rma my 8800GT because it died on me and they knew it was water cooled and had no qualms sending me a brand new one.
    Quote Originally Posted by Chruschef in regards to Thermaltake water cooling
    you'd be better off cooling your components with a fire....

Xtreme Member
    I have to agree with the above post. Mebbe consider changing the thread title.

Xtreme Addict
    What's Covered:
    Once the product is registered, XFX warrants that should the graphics card purchased require service or repairs as the result of defects in materials or workmanship, XFX will make those repairs for free. If the card cannot be repaired, it will be replaced. However, the warranty does not include refunds.

Products received by XFX must be in original condition and must have all original components in order to be covered[/I]. XFX does NOT warrant cards that have been tampered with (ie. volt-modding) by the user. XFX does not make any other warranty, express or implied, and is not responsible for loss, damage, or shipping charges to our RMA Center. XFX also reserves the right to inspect and verify the defect(s) of the product(s) that are returned.

XFX’s liability under the Double Lifetime Protection is limited to the repair, or, at XFX’s discretion, the replacement of the portion(s) of the Product that are found to be defective in material or workmanship. XFX reserves the right to claim shipping fees as well as a service charge** for any incomplete or modified product that is returned and that requires repair or replacement, or when the Owner is not entitled to any coverage under the XFX Double Lifetime Protection.
    Double Lifetime Warranty

The card was definitely not returned in original condition. Also, nowhere in the above warranty statement is a person explicitly allowed to change out the cooler. The condition the card was in when returned is a disgrace at best. You screwed up. Posting this nonsense all over the Web is not helping your cause. Let it be a lesson learned and move on.

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by fox3 View Post
    I have to agree with the above post. Mebbe consider changing the thread title.
    Or how about deleting the thread. Still not sure why two identical threads are being allowed .

Xτræmε ÇruñcheΓ
    I read basically the whole thing.

Sticker removing skills should not have anything to do with your warranty.

The end.

XFX has now been removed from my list, only EVGA remains as "cool card rebrander".
    i7 2700k 4.60ghz -- Z68XP-UD4 F6F -- Ripjaws 2x4gb 1600mhz -- 560 Ti 448 stock!? -- Liquid Cooling Apogee XT -- Claro+ ATH-M50s -- U2711 2560x1440
    Majestouch 87 Blue -- Choc Mini Brown -- Poker Red -- MX11900 -- G9

L-l-look at you, hacker.
    Quote Originally Posted by Praz View Post
    Also, nowhere in the above warranty statement is a person explicitly allowed to change out the cooler.
    Quote Originally Posted by SoulsCollective View Post
    XFX Warranty:
    If you live in the US or Canada our video cards come with a Double Lifetime Modder Friendly warranty. This basically means the video card is under warranty for as long as you own it and if you give it away or sell it, the second owner also has a lifetime warranty (helps with resell value). Modder friendly means we do not mind if you overclock the video card or change out the fan as long as the video card is not physically damaged and you keep the original hardware (in case you ever need an RMA).
    While they say "change out the fan" rather than "use an aftermarket heatsink", I think it's pretty clear.
    ???
    Rig specs
    CPU: i7 5960X Mobo: Asus X99 Deluxe RAM: 4x4GB G.Skill DDR4-2400 CAS-15 VGA: 2x eVGA GTX680 Superclock PSU: Corsair AX1200

Foundational Falsehoods of Creationism

Xtreme Member
    Oh, I think it is helping my cause. My cause is to alert fellow modders to the fact that XFX places a mod unfriendly sticker over the screwholes on the card to prevent any modding and voiding the warranty. If I had known the sticker was there, I would never have purchased their card.

The condition of the card was excellent except for the sticker being pulled off which I admit makes the card look rough. The sticker is made in such a way that it does not come off cleanly and leaves a sticky residue of glue on the card. Modder Beware.
    Corsair HX1000
    Mushkin Redline 6-7-6-18
    EVGA 295x2 Aqua blocks
    Coolermaster ATCS 840
    i7 920 D0 - HK V3
    Thermochill 2x120
    XSPC RX 360

Xtreme Member
    I don't see how to change the title but if someone can tell me I will be glad to change it to GT200 series, which is really what I am talking about. Also if have no problem if a mod wants to remove the thread in the XFX section but I would prefer this one stays. I think most of the modders come here.

My sentiments exactly Andrew. The sticker shouldn't even be there.
    Corsair HX1000
    Mushkin Redline 6-7-6-18
    EVGA 295x2 Aqua blocks
    Coolermaster ATCS 840
    i7 920 D0 - HK V3
    Thermochill 2x120
    XSPC RX 360

c[_]
    Is it really necessary to remove the screws from the top? I dont think i've ever seen a video card where you had to do it from the top to get the cooler off..

This should be in the XFX section anyways..

EDIT - Threads merged, 10 hour redirect; also this kind of seems like a clear-cut case of user abuse after seeing the picture so it'll probably die soon anyways.
    Last edited by STEvil; 11-12-2008 at 07:37 PM.

All along the watchtower the watchmen watch the eternal return.

Xtreme Member
    Yes I abused the card, I pulled their sticker off. Its clearcut alright, don't buy an XFX card if you are going to mod because you have to pull the sticker off and it will void your warranty. I also disagree about putting the thread in this forum. This was a card being modded with a waterblock so it should be in the watercooling forum, but you're the mod. What happened, did XFX complain?
    Corsair HX1000
    Mushkin Redline 6-7-6-18
    EVGA 295x2 Aqua blocks
    Coolermaster ATCS 840
    i7 920 D0 - HK V3
    Thermochill 2x120
    XSPC RX 360

Xtreme Addict
    Yes I abused the card, I pulled their sticker off. Its clearcut alright, don't buy an XFX card if you are going to mod because you have to pull the sticker off and it will void your warranty. I also disagree about putting the thread in this forum. This was a card being modded with a waterblock so it should be in the watercooling forum, but you're the mod. What happened, did XFX complain?
    No this thread is not about water cooling at all.

This is about you savagely trying to get the sticker off, and then expecting them to warranty something like that. I mean hell, it would be one thing if they refused your rma because you water cooled.

But they refused it because your basically destroyed the top cover and whether it was your fault of not, sent them a "damp" card.

This thread had no need to be in the water cooling section and as such was merged into YOUR EXISTING THREAD in the XFX support section.

Finally, every single post of yours uses blanket statement's this "issue" is limited only to the GTX series of cards and no others. I have had excellent warranty experiences with XFX as have numerous others.
    Quote Originally Posted by Chruschef in regards to Thermaltake water cooling
    you'd be better off cooling your components with a fire....

Xtreme Addict
    Have you all forgotten something?

How can a card be packed, shipped, and arrive STILL WET?!
    E7200 @ 3.4 ; 7870 GHz 2 GB
    Intel's atom is a terrible chip.

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast