Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: *New Title* I've Just got my first DSLR, the Nikon D40

Xtreme Enthusiast

Arrow *New Title* I've Just got my first DSLR, the Nikon D40

Hello everyone. Basically I've always loved Photography. I've never really got into it very big. I've wanted to. and I have hundreds of pictures I've taken.

Anyways. If no one saw me say this before. I'll say it again.

I got the Kodak M1033HD 10MP Digital Camera that Retails around $200.00 USD give or take for a great closeout deal of $74.99 back about 8 months ago or so. and I HATE IT. lol. it was a great deal and my old Canon got broke. I just wanted a camera, it was the best priced 10MP camera and I was in need. (and poor.)
    http://www.circuitcity.com/ccd/produ...1&om_keycode=4
    Thats what I have now. I'm going to be selling it here sometime soon for probably around $125.00 or so locally. Maybe more if I can. I also have earned some extra cash lately and have $230 in paypal account from it.

Basically I'll stop rambling and ask my question. I will have something in the $350 and maybe pushing it for $400 MAX for my funds available and thats a max. I'm hoping not to exeed $400 for starters.

So basically I'm a very new Photographer.. If I can even call myself that. (I shouldn't). I don't want anything that is like $999 and some extreme high tech camera. I'm just a beginner and I want something that will amaze me with some great shots that this STUPID little M1033 can't do.

I've been looking at a few things. Let me know what you all think.

Nikon D40 w18-55mm @ $359.99 (or the D60 if I save more)
    http://www.enterprisephoto.com/item.asp?item=7762

Maybe the Nikon CoolPix P80 @ $299.99
    http://www.enterprisephoto.com/item.asp?item=705019
    (I can't add a Lens later to this though can I.?)

Sony CyberShot DSC-H10B or better the H50 but I'm liking the price and look of the H10B.

What do you guys think about SLR-Like Camera's like some of these Sony's, or the Lumix FZ28,30,50 or even something that I've heard good things about like a Canon SX10

I know this has a lot of people with $1000 camera's and more and you guys probably don't like these SLR-Like Camera's. But I'm not an Extremist yet. So I'm just hoping to get some good advise on a overall good Price/performance Camera for the Beginner.

Thanks in Advanced.
    Last edited by xguntherc; 11-06-2008 at 03:02 AM. Reason: Changing title now I've got it.
    Project HAF 932 Water-Cooled

New OC Validation

- Q9650 4.0 Ghz For Now -
    - GTZ, Feser 360, D5 Vario, EK Multi-Option -
    - eVGA 750i FTW! -
    - eVGA GTX 480 H20 & GTX 295 -
    - 2x2GB Dominators PC2-8500C5D -
    - WDCaviar Black 640GB AALS x2 (Raid0) -
    - FreeAgent Pro 500GB Ext x2 -
    - Enermax Revolution 85+ 1050w PSU -
    - X-Fi XtremeGamer -
    - CM HAF 932 H20 -
    - Dell U2410 IPS LCD -
    - Logitech G11 & MX-518 /G9 -
    - Sony 24x Optical w/ LightScribe -
    - BOSE Companion 3 -
    - ATH-AD900 Cans & UE Triple.Fi 10 Custom IEM's -
    - Nikon D40 w/18-105mm & 55-200mm VR's -

Xtreme Mentor
    Between those 2 get the D40. That way you can get more lenses, flashes, etc. as you improve your photography. Basically, it gives you more choices down the road, not to mention that the D40 (which is a DSLR) will give you MUCH better image quality than any P&S.

Xtreme Addict
    Go with the D40 and you will not need to get a new cam for years to come, its best VFM DSLR availabe. Get the D40 with the kit lens, but make sure it has VR (vibration reduction), the link you gave doesn't seem to have VR, it might make sense if your doing a lot of shooting in low light. Get the D40 now, and you may add in a Prime 50mm f/1.8 lens later for just $100 and that's pretty much all you may ever need for the sharpest pics. D40 is really great for those stepping upto DSLR from a P&S, a perfect tool. Not to mention the cheapest DSLR can create far superior and well exposed pics then a very expensive P&S. They both just simply cant be compared. I say make a trip to the local camera store and try out the D40/D60, you might get blown away by the speed of the DSLR and how the pics come out with no flash at all.

I am getting one myself this Saturday with a 50mm f/1.8.
    Last edited by ANP !!!; 11-04-2008 at 07:43 AM.
    Sound: Asus Essense ST | Wharfedale Diamond 9.1 | Norge 2060 Stereo amp | Wharfedale SW150 sub (coming soon)
    Camera Gear: Canon 6D | Canon 500D | Canon 17-40L | Canon 24-105L | Canon 50mm f1.4 | Canon 85mm f1.8 | Rokinon 14mm f2.8 | Sigma 10-20EX HSM | Benro A3580F + Vanguard SBH250 | Bag full of filters and stuff

Xtreme Mentor
    Quote Originally Posted by ANP !!! View Post
    Go with the D40 and you will not need to get a new cam for years to come, its best VFM DSLR availabe. Get the D40 with the kit lens, but make sure it has VR (vibration reduction), the link you gave doesn't seem to have VR, it might make sense if your doing a lot of shooting in low light. Get the D40 now, and you may add in a Prime 50mm f/1.8 lens later for just $100 and that's pretty much all you may ever need for the sharpest pics. D40 is really great for those stepping upto DSLR from a P&S, a perfect tool. Not to mention the cheapest DSLR can create far superior and well exposed pics then a very expensive P&S. They both just simply cant be compared. I say make a trip to the local camera store and try out the D40/D60, you might get blown away by the speed of the DSLR and how the pics come out with no flash at all.

I am getting one myself this Saturday with a 50mm f/1.8.
    No AF with the 50mm on the D40 though.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Ya the D40 looks like a great deal, and a really good beginner Camera.

So the real DSLR's like the D40/60/90 and such are just THAT much better than the SLR-Like Camera's.

Would getting a SLR like camera just limit me later on, and be a mistake??
    I love how small my current cmaera is, but I hate the pics. the SLR like camera's can become fairly small when the lens detracts back in. and I like that.

but if the overall quality, and possibilities are that much greater with a DSLR camera like the D40 then I should Just get that. also is the VR you talked about standard on the camera, or is that a feature of the add on lens? and not all lens have it? I thought ALL the D40's come with that standard 55mm lens like the one in my link.

I'm going to try and find a used D60 somewhere online, maybe craigslist and see what I can find.. that would be ideal. I know the D40 is good. but the fact I'm going back down to a 6MP camera just seems wrong. or is the Camera quality at 6MP going to BLOW away my little ghetto 10MP P&S

Thanks guys. It will probably be the Sony H50, or a real DSLR and get the D40/60

also has anyone heard of that enterprizephoto.com for camera's. they have the cheapest, if not second to cheapest price on almost every camera i lookup on Google. I'm wondering why they are so much cheaper there.. newegg,com has the D40 for 449.99 and enterprisephoto has it for only $359.99 with a 18-55mm lens.
    Last edited by xguntherc; 11-04-2008 at 03:51 PM.

New OC Validation

- eVGA 750i FTW! -
    - X-Fi XtremeGamer -
    - CM HAF 932 H20 -
    - Dell U2410 IPS LCD -
    - BOSE Companion 3 -

Xtreme Enthusiast
    I've also found locally in my area something in my price range. well getting close.

a 6 month used Nikon D40 with the lens, and 2GB stick, extra battery and charger. all for $375.00 as he upgraded to the d200 or something like that.. he lives 5 mins away so I could go check it out.

also found a D50 with 4 2GB sticks and some accessories for $450 I hear the D50 is better as it has the built-in focus Motor. and a few other things.

what does everyone think? I might just get that D40 tomorrow for 375
    Last edited by xguntherc; 11-04-2008 at 07:39 PM.

New OC Validation

- eVGA 750i FTW! -
    - X-Fi XtremeGamer -
    - CM HAF 932 H20 -
    - Dell U2410 IPS LCD -
    - BOSE Companion 3 -

Xtreme Enthusiast
    No one has any thoughts then huh??

Should I just get the D40 and be happy with that. It's basically the best price/performance DSLR camera for a beginner.. right? or would it be worth it to find a used D60

New OC Validation

- eVGA 750i FTW! -
    - X-Fi XtremeGamer -
    - CM HAF 932 H20 -
    - Dell U2410 IPS LCD -
    - BOSE Companion 3 -

[XG] Xtreme Gamer
    D40 seems to be a good camera from what I've seen around here. Check out www.dpreview.com they have a good review on it.
    I am Xtreme

Deffinetly get the D40. Going from my "high end" Point and Shoot Olympus to my D40x (nearly exactly the same as the D40, except for resolution and base ISO), was like going from a ford pinto to a Ferrari F430. If you are still unsure, go to a local camera store and try out the D40/D40x/D60 (they all feel the same). Once you do you will have no doubts that it was an absurdley good decesion.

My next reccomendation is to Purchase the Nikon 55-200VR for 200 dollars.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Awesome. Thank you much guys.. thats what I was looking for. lol.

So the D40, will I be able to take a drive off to nowhere, pull her out. take a great shot. (Quickly) since I'm new. and be able to come home and plug her in and load to my PC.. Like there are auto features for someone new like me that will allow good shots til I learn more. correct??

Also the 55-200VR huh. ya need the VR for sure. and what would I need to take some great Macro shots. or will the standard 15-55mm stock lens do those ok?

New OC Validation

- eVGA 750i FTW! -
    - X-Fi XtremeGamer -
    - CM HAF 932 H20 -
    - Dell U2410 IPS LCD -
    - BOSE Companion 3 -

Quote Originally Posted by xguntherc View Post
    Awesome. Thank you much guys.. thats what I was looking for. lol.

So the D40, will I be able to take a drive off to nowhere, pull her out. take a great shot. (Quickly) since I'm new. and be able to come home and plug her in and load to my PC.. Like there are auto features for someone new like me that will allow good shots til I learn more. correct??

Also the 55-200VR huh. ya need the VR for sure. and what would I need to take some great Macro shots. or will the standard 15-55mm stock lens do those ok?

1. Dont use the Auto mode on the D40. Read the manual front to back and then start experimenting. An SLR is only a truely enriching experience when you know how to use it. If you dont know what you are doing it can be frustrating. Futhermore, dont expect your first shot to be great. The first few hundred shots with my D40x were all throw aways. The shutter on the D40 will last a long time so just keep experimenting and testing your equipment out.

2. Neither the 55-200 or 18-55 are GREAT for macro, but the 18-55 does a better job. For GREAT maco shots, the 105mm F2.8 VR is the hot ticket, but its way too expensive unless you are making money off of it .

Xtreme Enthusiast
    The guy does Macro marine stuff with it...takes pictures of corals and stuff in his tanks. He said it's only had around 2 or 3 thousand actuations.

That gives my plenty o room. they should last around 50-100K shots right..
    Check this out.

http://www.olegkikin.com/shutterlife/nikon_d40.htm

and yes I see you say if you don't know what your doing it can be frustrating. I am VERY very new to this. I've not learned anything yet. I'm planning to maybe go to college for it.. I took a class in high school for photography. but it wasn't anything special really.

Even though I'm new and don't know what hardly anything means. I'll still be able to read the manual and help guides and tips and such, and learn along the way. and still have a good time with it until I learn more. as in I'm not needing to take amazing pictures that I'm selling or anything. For starters I'll just be doing family, and things around town and such. I have some great shots in mind here in Vegas I'm exited to try. I'm just wondering if I'm over my head since I'm so new to photography. I don't know much at all.

OR is this a great starters camera, and be a great way to get going and learning.

New OC Validation

- eVGA 750i FTW! -
    - X-Fi XtremeGamer -
    - CM HAF 932 H20 -
    - Dell U2410 IPS LCD -
    - BOSE Companion 3 -

The guy does Macro marine stuff with it...takes pictures of corals and stuff in his tanks. He said it's only had around 2 or 3 thousand actuations.

That gives my plenty o room. they should last around 50-100K shots right..
    Check this out.

http://www.olegkikin.com/shutterlife/nikon_d40.htm

and yes I see you say if you don't know what your doing it can be frustrating. I am VERY very new to this. I've not learned anything yet. I'm planning to maybe go to college for it.. I took a class in high school for photography. but it wasn't anything special really.

Even though I'm new and don't know what hardly anything means. I'll still be able to read the manual and help guides and tips and such, and learn along the way. and still have a good time with it until I learn more. as in I'm not needing to take amazing pictures that I'm selling or anything. For starters I'll just be doing family, and things around town and such. I have some great shots in mind here in Vegas I'm exited to try. I'm just wondering if I'm over my head since I'm so new to photography. I don't know much at all.

OR is this a great starters camera, and be a great way to get going and learning.

I would not worry about the shutter life. If you take care of a camera the shutter will last you well over 100,000 actuations. Its not like you will be using the camera for photojournalism where you beat the hell out of it.

For learning photography, my suggestion is to learn the terms first. Learning the terms will allow you to read more advanced articles and know what the hell they are talking about. A quick google search brought this website up. It has the basics on there for general photography.
    http://www.thepeaches.com/photography/Basics.htm

And if you want to learn the more technical aspects of digital photography just to through DP Reviews glossary of terms located here: http://www.dpreview.com/learn/?/

I do warn you though. DO NOT read DP Reviews site first. It will turn you into a tech nerd and you will be far more concentrated on pixels than you would be on making good photographs.

My last recommendation is to go to the book store on the weekend, grab a photography book and just start reading. No need to buy it, just read it there.

Forgot the last thing you asked. Buying a D40 is a great way to get into photography. You have to have the tools to actually learn photography, and lets face it; unless you are doing landscape photography, film is dead.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Great. you've been more than helpful. If I end up getting this D40. I'll be sure to learn a thing or 2, take some pictures. and wait for the constructive Criticism

New OC Validation

- eVGA 750i FTW! -
    - X-Fi XtremeGamer -
    - CM HAF 932 H20 -
    - Dell U2410 IPS LCD -
    - BOSE Companion 3 -

Great. you've been more than helpful. If I end up getting this D40. I'll be sure to learn a thing or 2, take some pictures. and wait for the constructive Criticism
    As a forewarning, constructive criticism is hard to come by. Usually its just "Great Shot", no replys at all, or the occasional insult.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    oh ok.. i see. Well whatever works. I'll see how it goes.

thanks

New OC Validation

- eVGA 750i FTW! -
    - X-Fi XtremeGamer -
    - CM HAF 932 H20 -
    - Dell U2410 IPS LCD -
    - BOSE Companion 3 -

Xtreme Enthusiast
    I got my D40 today. I'm very exited. (More intimidated Than exited) lol no jk. but really. I'm hoping this works out. It's in amazing condition. The guy is an at home Marine Macro photographer. he has some great shots of Corals and some TINY things that look huge. great shots. He said they camera's never left the Room with all the Tanks. and has had it for about 5 months with around 2-3k actuations.

Got a D40, w/lens, battery, charger, USB cable, Mini table tri-pod, fast charger, 2 caps, and a lens cover, no UV Cover. thats next on the list. came with a manual, and a Really nice Carry bag all for $370 and it looks immaculate. He was very nice and helpful. Now does anyone know where I can get a UV cover for the 15-55mm lens. like the cover that protects the lense that stays on while shooting. not the cap..?

Thanks for the help people's

New OC Validation

- eVGA 750i FTW! -
    - X-Fi XtremeGamer -
    - CM HAF 932 H20 -
    - Dell U2410 IPS LCD -
    - BOSE Companion 3 -

The cover u mentioned is called a filter. That lens takes a 52mm filter. Personally Iwouldnt bother with a filter. I just try to be as careful as possible with the lens.

But if u want one u can get it at any camera store. I would suggest getting a hoya filter.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    a 52 mm filter. and why not get one.? Whats the Pro/cons on that. the guy I bought it from said to get one. as if for any reason you happen to accidentally hit something. He'd rather break a $35 dollar filter than the entire lens. and that makes perfect sense to me. and he also had Exactly what you suggested I get. the 15-200mm UV lens. it was Great. I put it on and took a picture of a Coral or something in his tank before I came home. Wanna see it. Was about the size of a golf ball..

Also, I know you've answered enough questions to be a teacher already, but whats a great program I can get to use for now. something possibly cheap, or free for starters. then something better later.

New OC Validation

- eVGA 750i FTW! -
    - X-Fi XtremeGamer -
    - CM HAF 932 H20 -
    - Dell U2410 IPS LCD -
    - BOSE Companion 3 -

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Here it is, was taken very fast, just for fun and to test the camera I was buying. It was a bad angle to shoot through glass. I wasn't close enough. but turned out ok anyways. This was a little bigger than a golf ball. cool IMO.

and here's a picture of my puppy, we call him "Ollie" so you guys can to. lol. this was just a fast picture also. I still don't know anything about my camera. but look at that tongue!

New OC Validation

- eVGA 750i FTW! -
    - X-Fi XtremeGamer -
    - CM HAF 932 H20 -
    - Dell U2410 IPS LCD -
    - BOSE Companion 3 -

[XG] Xtreme Gamer
    Very cool, glad your having fun with it!
    I am Xtreme

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Thanks.. ya I've only had it a few hours. but I'm very exited. and it's a pretty sweet camera I must say. KILLS my ghetto little P&S kodak i just sold!!!

New OC Validation

- eVGA 750i FTW! -
    - X-Fi XtremeGamer -
    - CM HAF 932 H20 -
    - Dell U2410 IPS LCD -
    - BOSE Companion 3 -

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Anyone with a D40 know what the little Dial thing does. like the thing you can turn thats on the back top right side. I've yet to see it do anything. lol

nevermind. I'm on the kenrockwell.com site someome said to check out. he's got a very in depth guide.
    Last edited by xguntherc; 11-05-2008 at 09:31 PM.

New OC Validation

- eVGA 750i FTW! -
    - X-Fi XtremeGamer -
    - CM HAF 932 H20 -
    - Dell U2410 IPS LCD -
    - BOSE Companion 3 -

Anyone with a D40 know what the little Dial thing does. like the thing you can turn thats on the back top right side. I've yet to see it do anything. lol

nevermind. I'm on the kenrockwell.com site someome said to check out. he's got a very in depth guide.
    RTFM!!

Xtreme Enthusiast
    lol yayayaya

Google is my friend.

I'll read the manual, but I just learned plenty off that rockwell site. I read like 45 pages of stuff.. Very informative. and now I just need to learn my camera and take pictures and try different things out. I'm getting the $14.00 IR remote tomorrow. looks cool

New OC Validation

- eVGA 750i FTW! -
    - X-Fi XtremeGamer -
    - CM HAF 932 H20 -