Thread: is this possible?

Xtreme Member

is this possible?

hello,

i have a asus P5e , and a very large 9800GX2.. I can't overclock my current rig because i can't reset it when my bios aint booting. Thats why i want to make an externeal cable from my bios reset switch to a reset button outside my case. I have seen this solution before but i don't the link anymore.

anyone who can help me?

Xtreme Member
    thanks for the fast reply,

you see this link :

http://www.xbitlabs.com/misc/picture...scheme.png&1=1

this shows how the reset switch works, i can't hook up a connector like that guy from petra did? or do i have to start soldering on my motherboard and lose my warrenty?

Xtreme Member
    an other pic of my mobo :

http://www.xbitlabs.com/misc/picture...naming.jpg&1=1

you can see the reset switch in the right corner next to the battery

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Oh I see, you have a switch instead of a header. Well, that sucks...
    Soldering would be the best option, but you could try taping the stripped ends of some wires to the back of the mobo where the switch is, which should work well enough for this prurpose. Just make sure you don't short anything!

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Here's another option for you. No soldering needed and no need to try and get stripped wires to stick.
    [XC] gomeler - Public note: If you PM me to tell me that I am disrespectful at least have space in your PM box so I can tell you I don't care.

[XC] gomeler - I come to the news section to ban people, not read complaints.

I heart gomeler!

Xtreme Member
    i alrady found this topic, but still i have a switch? I mean how can i connect that EC when i don't have the pins to solder/connect it.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    It is so freaking easy man.
    You don't even need a button or anything on the end.
    i just have two bare leads which i tie together for ten seconds when the pc is off, and vwellla the bios is reset.
    As Los Alamos director J. Robert Oppenheimer watched the demonstration, he later said that a line from the Hindu scripture the Bhagavad Gita came to mind:
    "I am become Death, the destroyer of worlds."
    Test director Kenneth Bainbridge in turn said to Oppenheimer, "Now we are all sons of b**ches." wiki

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by ward0 View Post
    i alrady found this topic, but still i have a switch? I mean how can i connect that EC when i don't have the pins to solder/connect it.
    There is no solder involved.
    you just need two of the female adpaters which plug into your mobo and control sound, pwr button, reset, etc.
    There will be a pair of pins up by the bios battery for resetting the bios.
    When those two metal pins are connected while the power is off, the bios will be reset.
    As Los Alamos director J. Robert Oppenheimer watched the demonstration, he later said that a line from the Hindu scripture the Bhagavad Gita came to mind:
    "I am become Death, the destroyer of worlds."
    Test director Kenneth Bainbridge in turn said to Oppenheimer, "Now we are all sons of b**ches." wiki

Xtreme Member
    are you sure the P4 as your signature shows that you have, is the same layout like the P5? because what pins are we talking about ? i only know the switch and the battery itself

Xtreme Enthusiast
    fragmaster - his board has a BIOS reset switch but no pins

ward0 - here are a couple of options for solder-less board-mods, so long as you can work out which of the solder-blobs on the back of the mobo do what (using a multimeter to check which solder blobs have zero resistance between them when the switch is in different positions would be the way to do it if you have one)
    http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/...d.php?t=151983 .....on the second page i posted another way it could be done
    you might need to hack a hole in the motherboard tray of your case if you want to do my way

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by ward0 View Post
    hello,

i have a asus P5e , and a very large 9800GX2.. I can't overclock my current rig because i can't reset it when my bios aint booting. Thats why i want to make an externeal cable from my bios reset switch to a reset button outside my case. I have seen this solution before but i don't the link anymore.

anyone who can help me?
    I have a P5E too and my dual 4870's block the CMOS switch. But i just unplug the power cord for 2 min and it resets . I think its ASUS's C.P.R..

Xtreme Member
    thats not very handy fatguy? I mean if you want to move the PC to somewhere ells you have plug it back in otherwise your cmos is reset...

Xtreme Addict
    I think it only kicks in when its not posting. Cause its never cleared it before when I was just moving my computer.

Xtreme Member
    Are you sure you don't also have pins? My QuadGT has a back I/O switch and also has the pins in around the same area.

Xtreme Member
    nope try to find them
    -to big to say it all- i can only use up to 4 lines