Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: "Whiteout" PC 343b Horiz. Mobo. Worklog

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by SparkyJJO View Post
    Each of those EFB1212VH uses a tad under 5 watts, so you could get something like a sunbeam rheobus and put a rad's worth of fans per channel, and use the 4th channel for the remaining 3 case fans.
    Ya I looked at those. The problem is that I don't have any open drive bays (see my CAD pictures) so I cannot do that. I think I'm just going to get a couple rheostats and find a clever place to put them on the back. I'm really trying to go for a super clean look with this case so I'm doing everything I can to eliminate ugly dials and such. The other problem w/ fan controllers is that each of the 3 AFB1212GHE's on the back uses up about 30w and I havent found a 100w fan controller
    Last edited by FrostyPanda; 10-19-2008 at 06:40 PM.
    Ba da dum dum dum.

You can remove the rheobus's board from the panel and then mount it anywhere you wish. The faceplate didn't fit my case right for some reason so I took the faceplate off, drilled holes in one of my bay covers, and used that to mount it instead. That way you could also do away with the LEDs easy enough if you wanted without it looking like something is missing.

I can get pics later if you wish.
    The Cardboard Master
    Crunch with us, the XS WCG team
    Intel Core i7 2600k @ 4.5GHz, 16GB DDR3-1600, Radeon 7950 @ 1000/1250, Win 10 Pro x64

Xtreme Member
    OnlineMetals hooked me up with a piece of aluminum for my 343b project. They do nice work indeed.

Keep those updates coming!

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by BlackFlag View Post
    OnlineMetals hooked me up with a piece of aluminum for my 343b project. They do nice work indeed.

Keep those updates coming!
    Do you have a worklog? They're a great way for all of us 343b owners/modders to compile and share our ideas

You can remove the rheobus's board from the panel and then mount it anywhere you wish. The faceplate didn't fit my case right for some reason so I took the faceplate off, drilled holes in one of my bay covers, and used that to mount it instead. That way you could also do away with the LEDs easy enough if you wanted without it looking like something is missing.

I can get pics later if you wish.
    Yeah pics would be great. Do you know if you can separate each of the knobs from each other?
    Ba da dum dum dum.

Xtreme Member
    Hey frosty- click the link in my sig to see my worklog.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Hey frosty- click the link in my sig to see my worklog.
    I didn't see it. I guess I'm used to gigantic boisterous sig's like mine
    Ba da dum dum dum.

Hamster Powered
    Show us the car man.
    XSWCG Disclaimer:
    We are not responsible for the large sums of money that you WILL want to spend to upgrade and add additional equipment. This is an addiction and the forum takes no responsibility morally or financially for the equipment and therapy cost. Thank you and have a great day.

Sigmund Freud said... "Failure to CRUNCH is a sign of Sexual Inadequacies".

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by SiGfever View Post
    Show us the car man.
    I'm only 15 so technically I can't own a car..... YET! Just kidding; anyways i'm kinda stuck until tomorrow because I had to order another foot of aluminum angle to make the motherboard cable protector thing (i can't think of any other way to describe it; see attached image) which won't arrive till tomorrow. I've also got a massive Humanities essay on the book Frankenstein by Mary Shelley so this next week's going to go pretty slowly regarding this build. I'll still be able to answer questions and such but pictures will be limited. Sorry

Cable protector thingy (from Virtualrain's Rainmaker, but i'll have the exact same thing):
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	RainMaker074.jpg 
Views:	1477 
Size:	113.4 KB 
ID:	87288  
    Ba da dum dum dum.

Quote Originally Posted by FrostyPanda View Post
    Yeah pics would be great. Do you know if you can separate each of the knobs from each other?
    You could separate the knobs by taking them off the circuit board and using wires to extend them to wherever you wished. Just as long as you keep the right wire going to the right leg on the right knob
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1667 [1024x768].JPG 
Views:	1482 
Size:	130.8 KB 
ID:	87289   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1670 [1024x768].JPG 
Views:	1483 
Size:	88.2 KB 
ID:	87290   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1671 [1024x768].JPG 
Views:	1484 
Size:	188.6 KB 
ID:	87291   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1672 [1024x768].JPG 
Views:	1493 
Size:	143.7 KB 
ID:	87292  
    The Cardboard Master
    Crunch with us, the XS WCG team
    Intel Core i7 2600k @ 4.5GHz, 16GB DDR3-1600, Radeon 7950 @ 1000/1250, Win 10 Pro x64

Xtreme Enthusiast
    You could separate the knobs by taking them off the circuit board and using wires to extend them to wherever you wished. Just as long as you keep the right wire going to the right leg on the right knob
    Thx a bunch! I guess we'll see how unnecessary having this much fan power will be
    Ba da dum dum dum.

Chasing After Diety
    omg if you make your case like in those drawings.

That is gonna be one ENVY of a case.

Its perfect almost, has the PA's standing, horizontal mount. Bottom stack so you have double footprint.

Very nice design in deed.
    Nadeshiko: i7 990 12GB DDR3 eVGA Classified *In Testing... Jealous? *
    Miyuki: W3580 6GB DDR3 P6T-Dlx
    Lind: Dual Gainestown 3.07
    Sammy: Dual Yonah Sossoman cheerleader. *Sammy-> Lind.*

[12:37] skinnee: quit helping me procrastinate block reviews, you asshat. :p
    [12:38] Naekuh: i love watching u get the firing squad on XS
    Its my fault.. and no im not sorry about it either.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by NaeKuh View Post
    omg if you make your case like in those drawings.

That is gonna be one ENVY of a case.

Its perfect almost, has the PA's standing, horizontal mount. Bottom stack so you have double footprint.

Very nice design in deed.
    Thanks! Wait till you see the paintjob I have planned...

NOTICE: BIIIIIIIIIIIIG update tomorrow (somewhat smaller than this weekend, but a crucial milestone in this build) and this weekend!!!
    Last edited by FrostyPanda; 10-22-2008 at 10:56 PM.
    Ba da dum dum dum.

Xtreme Member
    Hey Frosty-

Are your Sketchups to scale? I was looking at the thread again and noticed this pic in particular:

The motherboard and 4870x2's dont look to scale with the case.

Look at these pics from my worklog, since we're both doing horizontal 343s and you can see what I mean:

The x2 and the 280 are the exact size and my 280 almost touches the drive bay cage.

I've fell victim to the 343 scaling thing myself- it seems like this case is so large, but it really isnt as big as it seems once you get stuff inside it.

Just dont want to see you have to rework a lot of things to get them to fit.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Hey Frosty-

Are your Sketchups to scale? I was looking at the thread again and noticed this pic in particular:

The motherboard and 4870x2's dont look to scale with the case.

Look at these pics from my worklog, since we're both doing horizontal 343s and you can see what I mean:

The x2 and the 280 are the exact size and my 280 almost touches the drive bay cage.

I've fell victim to the 343 scaling thing myself- it seems like this case is so large, but it really isnt as big as it seems once you get stuff inside it.

Just dont want to see you have to rework a lot of things to get them to fit.
    Ya i noticed that too. sketchup isnt perfect and i had trouble getting the mobo to be parallel to the back wall. if you look you can tell that there's a significant amount cut off by the wall on the left side. Everything elso is to scale though. I'm not really worried about the mobo tho cuz i know everything will fit. I'm not going to use this for my measurements, more just a quick check to see if i actually could
    Ba da dum dum dum.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Wahooooooo!!! Finally the update I told you all about. I have finally gotten the basic case structure finished. After many many dremel bits and drilling, here is what I have. Please don't comment on the paint, I have sorted the crack issue out and primer is drying as we speak!

Testing with Old 680i Mobo (new is Rampage Formula)

I'll try and post some more pictures of the final paint job once the primer finishes drying tonight and I can shoot a few coats of glossy black on plus clear coat. Hopefully this will be done by Thursday.

Help needed: Do you think I should paint the mobo tray white also? I think it might tie in with the back plate nicely as well as the rads, which the outer frame will be white, similar to ashraf's build.
    Ba da dum dum dum.

Xtreme Member
    +1 for the white tray

Xtreme Member
    If your having bother painting it with the cold, heat the case up with a hot air gun before spraying, found it helped when I was spraying a car a while back. Might be worth a try.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    That thing gonna be freakin' loud!!
    Corsair Obsidian 650D - EVGA P67 FTW - Samsung F3 1Tb - 8Gb A-Data cheapest crap DDR3 - Intel Core i5 2500K w/ Corsair H50 - EVGA GTX 295 co-op - Corsair AX650

Xtreme Enthusiast
    +1 for the white tray
    Thanks for the vote. I instead decided to go with a black tray because the tray isn't absolutely perfect, and the white would have shown those imperfections too much.

Quote Originally Posted by pcaddict View Post
    That thing gonna be freakin' loud!!
    Yarrrr. My poor bird is gonna die during the day

Quote Originally Posted by cian1500ww View Post
    If your having bother painting it with the cold, heat the case up with a hot air gun before spraying, found it helped when I was spraying a car a while back. Might be worth a try.
    Thanks for the idea. Instead, i used the box that the case came in and cut a "vent" in the top and point a portable heater in to make an over. it seems to work pretty well

UPDATE:
    Pictures of my proposed paint job for the sides. These are just JPEGs but I am going to try to find a place to print the designs, or I will airbrush them myself. The black part in the middle is the window . I used an assortment of brushes I found on qbrushes.com and brusheezy.com

Left side of the case:

Right side of the case (please vote in a post to tell me which one to use)

Last edited by FrostyPanda; 10-31-2008 at 04:10 PM.
    Ba da dum dum dum.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    I like the first one best as the colours have the smallest footprint (right word?) compared to the white area, but they're really all very nice

edit: ya, first one for sure (4me). It leaves more room for the white and, kinda oddly, it brings more attention to the colours that way.
    Last edited by TedShred; 10-31-2008 at 08:26 PM.
    Time is an illusion. Lunchtime, doubly so. Douglas Adams
    QX9650 @ 3825mhz CoolIT FZone
    2x HD3870X2 @ 845/946mhz air
    Asus Maximus Formula 0907
    2x2048mb OCZ Reaper 8500
    2x Raptor 150G Raid0; 'Cuda 1000G
    1200W Thermaltake
    xFi Extreme Gamer/ Z-5500
    Vista Ult. 64
    Cosmos 1000
    30" NEC

Xtreme Member
    WoW, what a great project!

Well thought out, designed and implemented.

I'll be watching this build.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by zuess View Post
    WoW, what a great project!

Well thought out, designed and implemented.

I'll be watching this build.
    Muchas gracias senor

Quote Originally Posted by TedShred View Post
    I like the first one best as the colours have the smallest footprint (right word?) compared to the white area, but they're really all very nice
    Thanks. I'll use this post to keep a tally...

#1: 1
    #2: 0
    Ba da dum dum dum.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Here's some pictures of my "oven" I have the heater set to 85 degrees (Fahrenheit obviously)

Ba da dum dum dum.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    WOO HOO!!! ANOTHER UPDATE

Everything is finally painted and amazingly it all fits together perfectly! Hehehe sooooo glad I didn't have to kill the whole thing and get it powder coated...
    (sorry about the yellow tint on all the photos... the camera does wierd stuff w/o flash)

Last edited by FrostyPanda; 10-31-2008 at 04:37 PM.
    Ba da dum dum dum.

Royal Administrator
    Looking good! Nice job.

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast