Thread: Airflow Questions (ducting)

Xtreme Cruncher

Question Airflow Questions (ducting)

As you can see in this picture...

http://nickguyver.com/images/paintba...2947616811.jpg

The fan shroud does not engulf/surround the fins. Would it be more efficient to extend the shroud to include the heatpipes or have the shroud strictly extended to the fins, leaving the heatpipes outside of the shroud?

Basically what my question boils down to is an understanding of heatpipes. Does it actually benefit a heatsink to have the heatpipes cooled, of course I mean a measurable amount?

I'm also debating the actual benefit of extended/adjusting the shroud at all. Do you think that it would cause a significant enough change to warrant the effort?

Please do not reply with anything related to the 360 (or any video game console) or how you have problems or don't like ____ . I posted this in the Air Cooling forum for a reason, note this is not the console forums.

Xtreme Member
    Since the fin direction is facing properly with the Duct - I would say your ok with it as it is, though being familiar with after market cooling on the 360 let me ask you, does the duct meet the GPU side? I can not see under the DVD drive. You could always tape up or enclose the side of the duct - so that air will not seep around the heat sink. The only thing that I would be concerned with is air easily being pulled in around the side of the duct on each side of the heat sink and not being forced through it.

Can I enquire where you purchased that aftermarket heat sink from?

my 2 cents

Xtreme Cruncher
    Quote Originally Posted by XS_RoB View Post
    Since the fin direction is facing properly with the Duct - I would say your ok with it as it is, though being familiar with after market cooling on the 360 let me ask you, does the duct meet the GPU side?
    It comes up to but does not overlap.

You could always tape up or enclose the side of the duct - so that air will not seep around the heat sink. The only thing that I would be concerned with is air easily being pulled in around the side of the duct on each side of the heat sink and not being forced through it.
    This kinda of confuses me, are you saying to include or not include the heatpipes in the shroud after extending it?

Can I enquire where you purchased that aftermarket heat sink from?
    http://www.serviciosiev.com/catalog/...roducts_id/189

my 2 cents
    Your input is appreciated, thanks.

Xtreme Cruncher
    Here is a better shot of how the current shroud is...

Any other opinions?

Xtreme Addict
    Wow, that heatsink is ANEMIC. (The one on the left).

That would work. With such a short case, short of extreme ducting you won't be able to get air to go the way you want. Your best hope is to over pressurize the case (intake intake) and use a couple exhaust fans to direct the general direction.
    E7200 @ 3.4 ; 7870 GHz 2 GB
    Intel's atom is a terrible chip.

Xtreme Member
    those holes on the sides would hamper the desired air flow
    best bet might be to center the fan between the 2 heatsinks and use some cardboard and tape to force the air through the heatsinks
    Rig 1 Asus ROG Strix B550-F WiFi, R7 5800x, 64GB Vengeance LPX 4*16GB, Zotac GTX 1070Ti, X-Fi Titanium, Enermax Revolution D.F. 850w, SSDs 768GB, HDD 3TB, CM 912HAF, NH D-15 Black.cr
    Rig 2 Asus Maximus VI Hero, i7 4770K@4000, 32GB Ballistix VLP 4*8GB, Gigabyte GTX 970, eVGA G3 850, SSD 512GB, HDD 2TB, TT Element-T, NH D-14.