Thread: Best Optical Drive?

Xtreme Enthusiast

Best Optical Drive?

I currently have 4 Samsung SH-S203N's and love them. However... Im looking for i suppose two drives for another rig, used for DVD ripping. Fast and cheap is good. I dont care if its loud or whatever, SATA is a must.

What about this...
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16827151171

Would the lightscribe version be any faster, or possible more compatible with poor quality media due to a possible more powerful diode?

On something as trivial as an optical drive I usually just go with Newegg's Customer Choice Awards or whatever they call it. There's usually a small handful of drives that have received 2+ rewards. The technology is fairly old at this point, and a large portion of the market has pretty much homogenized into the same quality of stuff.

That drive you have listed there looks like it's due to be the next Customer Choice Award winner, it's pretty much the newer model of what I bought. SH-S203N vs your SH-S223F. Probably a good bet. Samsung always makes quality stuff, though I'm not fond of their bezel design. I guess I'm just oldschool, I like the traditional square design with a rectangular eject button. *shrug* I like my drive despite that fact : P
    Last edited by H2omg; 08-30-2008 at 07:29 PM.
    Finally! New computer

Asus P5Q Deluxe
    Intel Core 2 Quad Q9450
    Sapphire Radeon HD4870 512MB
    GSKILL 4GB DDR2 1066Mhz 5-5-5-15
    Western Digital 300GB VelociRaptor
    Western Digital 640GB Caviar
    Running Vista Ultimate x64

Xtreme Addict
    i doubt LightScribe has any effect on its ability to burn. i personally like the round button. i think it's easier to find when it's dark in my room. Samsungs are reliable and quiet. they also come with Nero 7 OEM Edition. it has a lot of cool little media, burning, and backup programs in the suite.
    My Videos
    GRID Demolition Derby * GRID Camaro vs. Mustang * Audiosurf - Speed Racer
    I Shot the Hosties * Slightly Stupid * Dump Truck

Intel Haswell 4770K * 2x8GB Mushkin Redline DDR3 1866 CL9 * Asus Maximus VI Gene * Sapphire 7870 GHz Edition
    500GB Samsung 840 Series SSD + 2TB WD Raid Edition 3 magnetic * SilverStone Temjin case * Corsair TX750 PSU * Corsair H60 water cooler * Win7 Pro x64

Xtreme Enthusiast
    I dont use included software, i find what i like and use that.

I guess i will just get the new 22x version samsungs.

From what i hear the regular burners have a 180mW diode and the lightscribes have 230mW ones. Not sure if that makes a difference in the real world, but my current samsungs do support lightscribe. Never used it, never plan on it...

Xtreme Mentor
    I bought that drive a couple weeks ago, works great.
    PC Lab Qmicra V2 Case SFFi7 950 4.4GHz 200 x 22 1.36 volts
    Cooled by Swiftech GTZ - CPX-Pro - MCR420+MCR320+MCR220 | Completely Silent loads at 62c
    GTX 470 EVGA SuperClocked Plain stock
    12 Gigs OCZ Reaper DDR3 1600MHz) 8-8-8-24
    ASUS Rampage Gene II |Four OCZ Vertex 2 in RAID-0(60Gig x 4) | WD 2000Gig Storage

Theater ::: Panasonic G20 50" Plasma | Onkyo SC5508 Processor | Emotiva XPA-5 and XPA-2 | CSi A6 Center| 2 x Polk RTi A9 Front Towers| 2 x Klipsch RW-12d
    Lian-LI HTPC | Panasonic Blu Ray 655k| APC AV J10BLK Conditioner |

XS_THE_MACHINE
    I'm about to get a couple of SH-S223 drives for two upcoming builds. It seems these are the most popular SATA burners over at cdfreaks. Haven't decided on Q (LightScribe) or F (no LightScribe) though. It's really up to whether you think you're going to actually use it or not.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shintai View Post
    I have a feeling that in 5 years. WD, Seagate etc will be some unknown names.
    (Posted by Shintai, 08-18-2008)

Iron Within Iron Without
    I bought an Lightscribing ASUS 2014L1T , It burns good but the read is F d up, hate it. Had NEC and Toshiba before and they were good, reading and writing, but the NEC was a tad noisier
    Sony PS3 | Nintendo Wii + Nintendo Wii Fit

By Mercedes - Adventure Trips around Middle Europe in a Youngtimer | https://www.facebook.com/S.Mercedesem - Like Us, if you Like us that is

Xtreme Member
    The sammy is the best choice imo. It will go faster with a firmware update. Check out my post here.
    http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/...9&postcount=16