Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Swiftech Apogee GTZ vs D-Tek Fuzion V2 As-Shipped

Chasing After Diety
    so martin you say tie.

EK > the D-tek

Yet Andy's tests shows its slightly better then the EK.

*lost*

I'll stick with my EK. :T

Great test tho martin, as always, your my superstar!
    Nadeshiko: i7 990 12GB DDR3 eVGA Classified *In Testing... Jealous? *
    Miyuki: W3580 6GB DDR3 P6T-Dlx
    Lind: Dual Gainestown 3.07
    Sammy: Dual Yonah Sossoman cheerleader. *Sammy-> Lind.*

[12:37] skinnee: quit helping me procrastinate block reviews, you asshat. :p
    [12:38] Naekuh: i love watching u get the firing squad on XS
    Its my fault.. and no im not sorry about it either.

Xtreme X.I.P.
    Quote Originally Posted by gabe View Post
    one clarification (although it is also published on our site): we published the best results we could get from the blocks.If a block came with nozzles, we tried them all and published the best results.
    Thanks Gabe!

So a 4.5mm nozzle is a good option for a quad core too...interesting. I'll try that for my advanced round.

This was just the "As Shipped in the box" test.

Xtreme X.I.P.
    Quote Originally Posted by mcoffey View Post
    Do the older V1 nozzles fit into the newer v2 midplate opening. Still haven't had time to check it out.

andyc
    Yes, I pressure drop tested with them. It does seem like there is a little more tolerance (They seem more snug in V1) between the nozzle and opening, but they fit ok.

I'd like to try some tweaks on both block for another round

Xtreme X.I.P.
    Oh cool, thanks for the info, somethin else to play with and check out. I love this freaking hobby man.

andyc
    I want to try and make my own GTZ nozzle too, it'll be a bit more difficult, but "Tinkering" is the fun part for me...

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Well Martin, guess I wont have to fool with writing a review next week, since I have almost the same results. (insert sound of hand patting Martin's back in thanks)

I see some slight differences at different flow rates but no block is "destroying" any of the others hands down.

Bravo !

Jay

Xtreme X.I.P.
    Quote Originally Posted by jayhall0315 View Post
    Well Martin, guess I wont have to fool with writing a review next week, since I have almost the same results. (insert sound of hand patting Martin's back in thanks)

I see some slight differences at different flow rates but no block is "destroying" any of the others hands down.

Bravo !

Jay

Please do. With the inaacurracy of the DTS sensors, I'd always like to see more reviews myself, even if it's just a quick few numbers, it's always helpful as a check. You've been doing some interesting work with the different flow rate stuff, mine has been fixed pump so I havn't been looking at what flow rates might do....you've got that part covered..

Xtreme Member
    Let me try to summarize? Since performance's a tie:

V2 = Better flow rates = for higher restriction loops
    GTZ = Better spaced barbs = Hellooo 3/4"OD compression fittings?
    Quote Originally Posted by HaCKs View Post
    Thanks for the info crazy asian guy with interesting hair.
    Quote Originally Posted by Martinm210 View Post
    There are alot of great testers in these forums and my one wish is for people to quit the bickering and post trolling and start testing and sharing of information.

Water cooling is supposed to be recreational, it's not mandatory, and it's not a perfect science.

Xtreme X.I.P.
    Quote Originally Posted by Navanod View Post
    Let me try to summarize? Since performance's a tie:

V2 = Better flow rates = for higher restriction loops
    GTZ = Better spaced barbs = Hellooo 3/4"OD compression fittings?
    I havn't done the "Tweaks" round 2 yet, but that's pretty close for Round 1. Only thing about compressions is the bottom of the TFC fittings want to impact the little Swiftech logo. The top has recessed areas to retain the standard swiftech barbs which makes the fitting sit down in there and conflicts with the logo a bit. So you might have to remove the logo to make them work on there. Easy enough to do, but something to be aware of.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Yes crazy Asian guy with interesting hair, that is a rough summology .

The Fusion V2 and GTZ are damn near equal. So it comes down to how many blocks are in your loop and what size tubing you like to use. The GTZ also has a slightly nicer mounting plate and screws.

Jay

Xtreme X.I.P.
    Yes, there is definately more mounting pressure going on with the GTZ as well, so it appears to be holding the differential across the cores closer together. I liked using two long screwdrivers to install both blocks, it worked really well that way. The Fuzion V2 backplate probably also has a little more rigidity to it than the GTZ, but the larger thumbscrews on the GTZ allows you to start them and install with either your fingers or the philips heads. I found it almost necessary to use a screwdriver to fulling tighten the GTZ though...it's probably getting in the 50-60lbs of mounting pressure. I didn't notice any bowing of my DFI in the case with standoffs though.

In the end I liked both mounts because of the limiting screws. No guess work on how much to tighten...you bottom all four corners and you have a perfect and straight mount.

Xtreme Cruncher
    Nice to finally see your review. I went ahead and ordered the GTZ even though I already own the V2. I'm seeing too much variance between Core #0 and the rest of the cores on my quad w/ the V2, the most variance showing up between core #0 and cores #3 and #4. I've remounted multiple times w/o seeing much difference and this variance wasn't as great even with my TRUE. I also like to use my compression fittings finally! Thanks Martin.
    QX 9650 | Maximus II Formula | G.SKILL 4GB (2 x 2GB) PC2 8500 | Sapphire 4850 X2 2GB| Auzen X-Fi Prelude 7.1 | 3x's WD 150GB Raptors & 2x's 1TB Seagate 7200.11 | Silverstone OP1200 | SilverStone TJ07 | Dell 2707WFP

EK-RES 250 --> Swiftech MCP655 --> Apogee GTZ --> Enzotech Sapphire NB --> Feser X-Changer 360

Xtreme Enthusiast
    thanks Martin, great job as always.
    My Lian Li G70
    Asus P6X58D-E * i7-930 * Saphire 7970 * 6GB Corsair XMS3 1600 C7 * Crucial M4 256GB SSD * Lian Li G70W Powdercoated
    Watercooled by single loop Coolgate Quad 120 + Swiftech MCR220 with San Aces H1011 * EK Supreme HF * Koolance VID-AR797 * EK Asus X58 full set * DDC 3.25 with EK Dual Top/Res

Great review Martin!

It looks like purchasing could come down to how many blocks will be in a loop or the need for 1/2" x 3/4" compression fittings.

Xtreme Member
    I got my GTZ in the mail the other day, and pulled the block apart to take a look at the inside. When I did that I noticed a plastic insert inside the block that fell out when I pulled it open. The insert looks like it should fit a section in the top of the block, but doesn't quite fit (at least, not without me taking a hammer to it). Is the insert supposed to be loose like that (that is, not fully snugged into that slot), or am I supposed to put some pressure on it and force it back into its slot?
    Curiosity was framed, Ignorance killed the cat.

Xtreme Member
    Thank you! You gave me the answer to my most important question at the moment. I already have the FuZion V2 and thought about the GTZ. So I will be waiting for another new cooler - the difference is not worth talking about.

Xtreme Member
    Martin, one question please:
    Are the backplates of the GTZ and FuZion V2 identical? The one of the V2 was almost (or totally?) the same as my old Thermalright Ultra 120 eXtreme-Backplate and looks like the GTZīs one, too ... What is more, the screws of FuZion V2 seemed to have the same thread as the Thermalright ones.

I'm running the Q6600 with the D-Tek V2 and the quad mid-chamber insert right now. I'm confuse, is it better to use the stock mid-chamber with my Q6600?
    Desktop - Asus P4C800-E Deluxe Rev 2.0 Fully Hell-Modded
    3.0C @ 3.824 255fsb 1.65vcore | SP-94 w/92mm Delta 110cfm, Tiger1 NB HS/Fan | 1gig XMS PC3500 BH-5 1:1 510mhz 2-2-2-5@3.38vdimm | Softmod Sapphire 9500np 441/348 w/SLK-900u (Vgpu@1.75v, Vddr@3.25v Hell-Modded) Cat 4.9 beta | TBSC Sound Card, NEC 1760NX-White | 2X WD 80g SE 8mb cache Raid 0, 1x 60g Maxtor storage | Antec TP550W @3.75v, 5.35v, 12.35v Hell-modded

3DMark2001SE - Now hit 23032 | 3DMark2003 - 6912
    ............................Thanks Hell-Fire for all the modding

Laptop -Compaq R3240US | A64 3200+ | 512mb |4x Nec 5500a DVD writer | G4 440go 64mb | 60g hard drive | Win XP-Home

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by OC_Newbee View Post
    I'm running the Q6600 with the D-Tek V2 and the quad mid-chamber insert right now. I'm confuse, is it better to use the stock mid-chamber with my Q6600?
    Run it without the mid-chamber. People have seen better temps without the insert and Martin confirms this. Thanks Martin, great review!

Quote Originally Posted by hotdun View Post
    Run it without the mid-chamber. People have seen better temps without the insert and Martin confirms this. Thanks Martin, great review!
    Thanks for the reply, wait so you're saying run it without ANY mid-chamber insert (completely remove them), STOCK and QUAD? sorry for the confusion.
    3.0C @ 3.824 255fsb 1.65vcore | SP-94 w/92mm Delta 110cfm, Tiger1 NB HS/Fan | 1gig XMS PC3500 BH-5 1:1 510mhz 2-2-2-5@3.38vdimm | Softmod Sapphire 9500np 441/348 w/SLK-900u (Vgpu@1.75v, Vddr@3.25v Hell-Modded) Cat 4.9 beta | TBSC Sound Card, NEC 1760NX-White | 2X WD 80g SE 8mb cache Raid 0, 1x 60g Maxtor storage | Antec TP550W @3.75v, 5.35v, 12.35v Hell-modded

Laptop -Compaq R3240US | A64 3200+ | 512mb |4x Nec 5500a DVD writer | G4 440go 64mb | 60g hard drive | Win XP-Home

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Martinm210 View Post
    I liked using two long screwdrivers to install both blocks, it worked really well that way. The Fuzion V2 backplate probably also has a little more rigidity to it than the GTZ, but the larger thumbscrews on the GTZ allows you to start them and install with either your fingers or the philips heads. I found it almost necessary to use a screwdriver to fulling tighten the GTZ though...
    Don't Slip!

Xtreme Member
    Wow, i really like that swiftech, especially being able to use Bitspower Comps.

Martin is 2.26 to 1.86 a big difference in flow?
    • Case : Silverstone TJ07 Black
    • Sound : Asus Xonar Essence STX
    • Video : Asus GTX 680 4gb w/ Ek Nickel Block
    • Board : ASUS Maximus V Formula Z77
    • CPU : Core i5-3570K @ 4.5 Ghz
    • CPU Cooler : EK-Supreme HF w/Plexi Top
    • Memory : 16GB Samsung 2133mhz 10-9-10-29
    • PSU: Enermax Revolution 85+ 1050w
    • HDD : Crucial 250gb M4 Raid 0
    • Radiator : Thermochill PA 120.3
    • Reservoir : EK-Multioption Res 250 Rev.2
    • Water Pump : Laing DDC-3.2 w/XSPC Top

You have to run th eV2 with a mid chamber/nozzle, but just use the stock mid chamber/nozzle, not the special quad mid chamber/nozzle.

gl,

andyc
    Thanks, will do. I will switch back to stock nozzle tonight after getting off from work.

Xtreme Member
    Great work Martin! My Quantitative Methods professor would love you.

I can't wait to see some Nehalem results. Larger, non-square IHS and a single, large monolithic core with about the same surface area as a dual-die Penryn. Think it would make a difference any?
    Last edited by Kougar; 08-25-2008 at 01:02 PM.
    Core i7 4790k
    ASUS Z97 Pro
    Kingston 1600MHz 32GB
    EVGA Titan Black (RIP)
    ASUS Xonar DX | Corsair Neutron GTX 240GB
    Apogee XT + MCP655 & Thermochill Triple 140mm Radiator
    Corsair AX1200 PSU | Cooler Master HAF-X | Windows 10

Xtreme X.I.P.
    Quote Originally Posted by TouGe View Post
    Nice to finally see your review. I went ahead and ordered the GTZ even though I already own the V2. I'm seeing too much variance between Core #0 and the rest of the cores on my quad w/ the V2, the most variance showing up between core #0 and cores #3 and #4. I've remounted multiple times w/o seeing much difference and this variance wasn't as great even with my TRUE. I also like to use my compression fittings finally! Thanks Martin.
    At least from the tests I ran, the GTZ was doing a little better at holding the core temperatures between cores closer to each other. this is probably due to the larger slot like nozzle of the GTZ vs a smaller circle of the fuzion.

Quote Originally Posted by RickCain View Post
    Great review Martin!

It looks like purchasing could come down to how many blocks will be in a loop or the need for 1/2" x 3/4" compression fittings.
    Yeah, I'm not so sure I would be too worried about flow rate though. They were close enough to me not to get really excited about it. Especially when you start considering pump heat. While the fuzion ran higher flow rates it also ran with water temperatures that were almost .1C higher even with the larger quad radiator and 1550RPM fans. If you had a smaller radiator that could mean .2C or hotter water temps. I'm not sure the hydraulic gain would be there to make up for the heat. Regardless fractions of a degree are pretty hard to measure, even after 5 mounts and all these sensors, I'm still only good to about a half a degree or so.

Quote Originally Posted by orclev View Post
    I got my GTZ in the mail the other day, and pulled the block apart to take a look at the inside. When I did that I noticed a plastic insert inside the block that fell out when I pulled it open. The insert looks like it should fit a section in the top of the block, but doesn't quite fit (at least, not without me taking a hammer to it). Is the insert supposed to be loose like that (that is, not fully snugged into that slot), or am I supposed to put some pressure on it and force it back into its slot?
    My nozzle plate fits very accurately, make sure you don't have it backwards or upside down. Mine will come out and slip back in without much effort at all. I need to get some internal pictures done then I'll be able to show you a better picture of the nozzle orientation.

Quote Originally Posted by scamps View Post
    Martin, one question please:
    Are the backplates of the GTZ and FuZion V2 identical? The one of the V2 was almost (or totally?) the same as my old Thermalright Ultra 120 eXtreme-Backplate and looks like the GTZīs one, too ... What is more, the screws of FuZion V2 seemed to have the same thread as the Thermalright ones.
    They might be the same threading, but the standoff are different. You could probably get either one to work, but I would recommend using the backplate that comes with it otherwise you might not install the block with the intended pressure. They both bottom out very specifically and you could overtighten it with the V2 backplate.

Quote Originally Posted by OC_Newbee View Post
    Andy seemed to confirm with his quad that was the case. My first round that I had issues with my ambient and had to throw out was showing the quad midplate doing about a degree worse than the stock midplate. But you do need the midplate for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by mpower1001 View Post
    Wow, i really like that swiftech, especially being able to use Bitspower Comps.

Martin is 2.26 to 1.86 a big difference in flow?
    Just watch the o-ring seating on the compressions. I don't have any bitspower compressions, but the TFC compression will impact the swiftech logo that's raised above the block top because the barb seats are recessed. I think you could get them to work, but you might have to remove the logo first or use thicker o-rings.

No, I consider anything over 1GPM good, and 1.5GPM excellent. I want to do some pumping power vs heat dump experiements later, but I suspect the DDC3.2 with top as I had tested is too much pumping power for optimal performance on some of the blocks. Hard to say without testing, but a CPU only loop I would never worry about flow rate, just bottom line performance. Only in a multiple block loop would I worry at all about flow rate and both of these blocks are pretty good with that using a D5 or DDC, you'll still have plenty of reserve pumping power for most setups.

Xtreme Member
    Martin thank you for hard work, totally appreciated. Looks like my next block with be GTZ compression fittings and mounting mechanism sounds so welcoming..
    Cooler Master Haf X
    i5 3750k
    Asrock Xtreme 4
    660 Ti

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast