Thread: 150mpg engine

Xtreme Enthusiast

150mpg engine

So I saw this on yahoo about 150mpg engine with over 300hp, that what they claim. Anyways what caught my attention was that US auto makers are not interested in such a thing.

http://gmy.news.yahoo.com/v/8129227

Xtreme Addict
    I am not sure on the 300HP claim, but a Hybrid that can deliver that kind of efficiency would be fantastic. It would make a great in-between jump till we can get Hydrogen fuel cell cars in full swing and to be affordable.
    Desktop:
    Antec 300
    Foxcon A7AD-S 790GX
    8GB Gskill PC-1066@5/5/5/12
    PII X940 BE @3.6GHZ
    Sunbeam Core Contact
    2x 640GB in Raid 0+1
    4870 512MB@800/1000
    Vista Business 64bit W/ SP1

Xtreme Member
    Well I know a lot of car companies add the electric and gas engines hp together to get a total. So it could have a 260hp gas engine and a very efficient 40hp electric engine.

Xtreme Cruncher
    Quote Originally Posted by mion View Post
    So I saw this on yahoo about 150mpg engine with over 300hp, that what they claim. Anyways what caught my attention was that US auto makers are not interested in such a thing.

http://gmy.news.yahoo.com/v/8129227
    Engine does not give you mileage, You can have an 1800 HP engine, stick it in a go kart, and you'll get 150mpg.

Anyways, i found the video they were talking about and its a plug in hybrid, not an actual engine itself that does that, and its 300+ combined HP, that problem with that is, one your that fancy capacitor runs out, your back down to 20-30 MPG from the gas engine.

I'd say the biggest reason no one is interested is that massive costs it would have to bring to mass production, including to customers. Who wants to pay 80,000 for a car that gets 150 mpg for a short amount of time in the city only?
    Fold for XS!
    You know you want to

Xtreme Member
    Lots of Nuclear + plug in diesel hybrids ftw.

CPU Z:2700 2k1:27952 2k3:12282 2k5:5763 PCM05 AQ3
    Opteron 165 s939_____OCZ RAM/PSU_____BBATI X800xl

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by [XC] Lead Head View Post
    Engine does not give you mileage, You can have an 1800 HP engine, stick it in a go kart, and you'll get 150mpg.

Anyways, i found the video they were talking about and its a plug in hybrid, not an actual engine itself that does that, and its 300+ combined HP, that problem with that is, one your that fancy capacitor runs out, your back down to 20-30 MPG from the gas engine.

I'd say the biggest reason no one is interested is that massive costs it would have to bring to mass production, including to customers. Who wants to pay 80,000 for a car that gets 150 mpg for a short amount of time in the city only?
    Depends on what the short amount of time is (which is actually more along the lines of useable distance) if it's 30-40 miles its well within the range of most commutes for people in a congestion heavy urban area like NYC or LA.

Theoretically with a plug in hybrid in this scenario you can make it to and from work and back again using zero gas, making your trip cost around 3-5 cents a mile instead of 35-40 cents a mile or much more depending on level of congestion.

Steak for Breakfast
    When I click on that link I get something about neck tie??

YouTube Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by Magnj View Post
    Lots of Nuclear + plug in diesel hybrids ftw.
    hybrids are a bad joke. Ironically pure electric or even pure internal combustion is more efficient. Simply because you don't have 2 engines, which usually just has one sitting idle and taking up weight
    Fast computers breed slow, lazy programmers
    The price of reliability is the pursuit of the utmost simplicity. It is a price which the very rich find most hard to pay.
    http://www.lighterra.com/papers/modernmicroprocessors/
    Modern Ram, makes an old overclocker miss BH-5 and the fun it was

Quote Originally Posted by nn_step View Post
    hybrids are a bad joke. Ironically pure electric or even pure internal combustion is more efficient. Simply because you don't have 2 engines, which usually just has one sitting idle and taking up weight
    Actually no, when using the electric (when stopped and accelerating from a stop) the gas engine is usually shut off, and kicks in at cruise speeds.
    System
    ASUS Z170-Pro
    Skylake i7-6700K @ 4600 Mhz
    MSI GTX 1070 Armor OC
    32 GB G.Skill Ripjaws V
    Samsung 850 EVO (2)
    EVGA SuperNOVA 650 G2
    Corsair Hydro H90
    NZXT S340

Xtreme Cruncher
    Hybrids show the most gains on larger vehicles in city driving.

Dodge Durango HEMI Hybrid is supposedly to get around 18-19 MPG city, when normally it would get around 12-13
    Fold for XS!
    You know you want to

YouTube Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by Soulburner View Post
    Actually no, when using the electric (when stopped and accelerating from a stop) the gas engine is usually shut off, and kicks in at cruise speeds.
    yes and I said that. But note that the electric motor turns off when the engine reaches cruise speeds
    The price of reliability is the pursuit of the utmost simplicity. It is a price which the very rich find most hard to pay.

Quote Originally Posted by [XC] Lead Head View Post
    Engine does not give you mileage, You can have an 1800 HP engine, stick it in a go kart, ?
    I'll take 2 of those go Karts. Oh and a few sets of wheels... and an F-16 ejection seat just in case.

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by [XC] riptide View Post
    I'll take 2 of those go Karts. Oh and a few sets of wheels... and an F-16 ejection seat just in case.
    Or you can always have a 1300cc Turbo Hayabusa go-Kart.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gjHMFd4Bln8

"If the representatives of the people betray their constituents, there is then no resource left but in the exertion of that original right of self-defense which is paramount to all positive forms of government"
    -- Alexander Hamilton

-100c Club Member
    I went out to get prius and gave up. In place I live (so. cal where there are a lot of long distance commuter), demand is incredibly high. With lot of people driving 80-120 miles a day in traffic, there is no way to say it won't be cost effective for these commuters.
    In fact, in local ad, I've seen frigging 2 year old prius with 20k mile with sticker for carpool lane listed tad over $30k (gasp!!!)
    In all honesty though, I would love to see proper hybrid minivan first. With size of my family, we use it a lot and I can definitely use better gas milage on tha... :P
    [SIGPIC]http://www.vapoli.com/Images/Forum/vapoli.jpg[/SIGPIC]

Single Stage Work Logs

Quote Originally Posted by killermiller View Post
    Those ccb's will die if you look at them wrong.

heatware: jinu117

Xtreme Member
    Couldn't agree more. But they are a small step in the right direction. Realistically we need to look at methonal power till electric, liquid nitrogen, or even hydrogen fuel cells become truly economical. At the moment we need to put more in than we get out, you can't carry/deliver in the same volume as fuel. And realistically the government and car bodies need to stop using MPG and use the calorific value of the fuel as a means of comparison taxing costing etc
    GA-X58A-UD3R
    980x with apogee XT WB
    Xonar D2X
    Corsair Dominator 1600C7 12 Gig
    enermax Galaxy 1000w
    EVGA 580GTX
    OCZ V2E 120 + 2x1T F1's
    P.A 120.3 rad
    EP-Uk lian li G70 case

yes and I said that. But note that the electric motor turns off when the engine reaches cruise speeds
    Yes, because you optimize each engine's strengths that way. The gasoline engine is much more efficient at cruise, and the electric engine saves a lot of gas by never letting the gas engine do the acceleration.

If you were to run an electric engine on the highway your batteries would be dead fast...thus the hybrid, which increases your range by a large amount.
    System
    ASUS Z170-Pro
    Skylake i7-6700K @ 4600 Mhz
    MSI GTX 1070 Armor OC
    32 GB G.Skill Ripjaws V
    Samsung 850 EVO (2)
    EVGA SuperNOVA 650 G2
    Corsair Hydro H90
    NZXT S340

YouTube Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by Soulburner View Post
    Yes, because you optimize each engine's strengths that way. The gasoline engine is much more efficient at cruise, and the electric engine saves a lot of gas by never letting the gas engine do the acceleration.

If you were to run an electric engine on the highway your batteries would be dead fast...thus the hybrid, which increases your range by a large amount.
    Yes it is very true that gasoline engines are most efficient at a sustained cruising speed. However they are not as efficient as any electric motor.
    But as battery technology improves, the advantages of gasoline engines becomes eliminated.