Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: camouflage has finished his latest cooling project (large pics inside !!!)

Xtreme Member
    Hey Camo!
    Did you just press a piece of pipe insulation into the entrance of the tank?
    And then the tubes trough this....does it seals good?

Xtreme 3DTeam Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Fr3akyPete View Post
    Hey Camo!
    Did you just press a piece of pipe insulation into the entrance of the tank?
    And then the tubes trough this....does it seals good?
    Yep - a piece of Armaflex is doing the job, but was not easy to cut the hole into the screwing of the tank without ruining it (hard plastics stuff tends to break very easy!).
    If nothing works nomore......:

Xtreme Member
    Maybe you could have done it like this:
    Put the cap (or cover) into hot water, so it becomes more flexible and then drill the hole.
    (That's what I would try to do.)

Xtreme Addict
    It's already been asked in this thread so if I've read over the answer them I'm sorry, but what about the noise that thing produces? Is it like your regular fridge or louder? Just asking because that would be quite interesting to know for 24/7 operation...
    The XS Folding@Home team needs your help! Join us and help fight diseases with your CPU and GPU!!

Xtreme 3DTeam Member
    Quote Originally Posted by p2501 View Post
    It's already been asked in this thread so if I've read over the answer them I'm sorry, but what about the noise that thing produces? Is it like your regular fridge or louder? Just asking because that would be quite interesting to know for 24/7 operation...
    Compressor is pretty quiet - fridge is more noisy. But You can here the fan, sound is like a running lavatory dryer.

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by camouflage View Post
    Compressor is pretty quiet - fridge is more noisy. But You can here the fan, sound is like a running lavatory dryer.

Sometimes I wish I had one.

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by camouflage View Post

Hmm.. I guess that would be acceptable. Sleeping besides the rig would be ok too in terms of noise. What I wonder now is if that thing always sucks 395 watts from the wall when you set it to 12-13 degrees C? Or is that number just for 795 watts of heat load for 0°C water temp? Are there any real world numbers for consumption?
    The XS Folding@Home team needs your help! Join us and help fight diseases with your CPU and GPU!!

Xtreme 3DTeam Member
    Quote Originally Posted by p2501 View Post
    Hmm.. I guess that would be acceptable. Sleeping besides the rig would be ok too in terms of noise. What I wonder now is if that thing always sucks 395 watts from the wall when you set it to 12-13 degrees C? Or is that number just for 795 watts of heat load for 0°C water temp? Are there any real world numbers for consumption?
    Don't know - but to keep the electrical bill small is the point of using the tank. If You achieved the desired water temp You can shut off the chiller and will have cold water for about one hour.

BTW - I think more important is to have fun :

Xtreme Member
    Nice results!
    I think I need to upgrade my rig, too!

Xtreme 3DTeam Member
    Nice results!
    I think I need to upgrade my rig, too!

Go for it...............

Xtreme Member
    Hey camouflage!
    I didn't say it yet, but I've got a Hailea HC-500A for more than one year already.
    My reservoir inside that thing cracked, so I had to send to the seller and get it repaired.
    Some weeks later, same shizzle different day.
    The guy fixed it...but after a time the water came out of the "pipe-entrances" of the reservoir where the 2 tubes are connected.
    I was pissed, so the leaking chiller was sitting in my room for a while doing nothing.
    Now, I finally fixed it by myself with some special type of glue and the last 2 days I kept the thing running on my balcony for 2h each...and....*taaaadaaaa*.... no more leakage.
    Now I'm thinking about hooking it up to my computer.
    Currently my w/c setup is: cpu, graphics card and mosfets, nb, sb of my mainboard are watercooled.

I was thinking about cooling everything with my chiller. What do you think?

I don't have no external reservoir, would you recommend to use one?
    If yes, what material and how big?

Xtreme 3DTeam Member
    Hey camouflage!
    I didn't say it yet, but I've got a Hailea HC-500A for more than one year already.
    My reservoir inside that thing cracked, so I had to send to the seller and get it repaired.
    Some weeks later, same shizzle different day.
    The guy fixed it...but after a time the water came out of the "pipe-entrances" of the reservoir where the 2 tubes are connected.
    I was pissed, so the leaking chiller was sitting in my room for a while doing nothing.
    Now, I finally fixed it by myself with some special type of glue and the last 2 days I kept the thing running on my balcony for 2h each...and....*taaaadaaaa*.... no more leakage.
    Now I'm thinking about hooking it up to my computer.
    Currently my w/c setup is: cpu, graphics card and mosfets, nb, sb of my mainboard are watercooled.

I was thinking about cooling everything with my chiller. What do you think?

I don't have no external reservoir, would you recommend to use one?
    If yes, what material and how big?
    If You fixed Your leaking problems, why not to use it?

I recommend You a tank for using as a reservoir, at least 30l. So You can shut off the chiller when You got Your desired temp and have cold water for about one hour.

The chiller requires a flow of at least 1200l per hour, but there is no waterblock with that hi flow, so use two loops & two pumps like I do.

Otherwise the waterblock is the limiting factor and the chiller suffers from not getting enough flow.

Xtreme Member
    Alright! Thanks for the advices.
    Currently I have following stuff laying around here:

pumps:
    - Aquastream XT Advanced (in my game-rig)
    - Eheim 1048 (in my LAN-pc)
    - aquabee UP 3000 (maybe use ONLY this pump for an one-loop-setup? but it's made for fish-tanks)
    - Nikkiso Magpon CP10-PPRV-24 (this is what I found: http://translate.google.com/translat...&hl=de&ie=UTF8)

Which two pumps would you recommend for use?

For the reservoir I would choose a normal cooling box with 10l (to check how it works), because I hardly can find space for a larger reservoir).

Any other hints for me?
    Last edited by Fr3akyPete; 04-23-2008 at 01:32 AM.

Xtreme 3DTeam Member
    Alright! Thanks for the advices.
    Currently I have following stuff laying around here:

pumps:
    - Aquastream XT Advanced (in my game-rig)
    - Eheim 1048 (in my LAN-pc)
    - aquabee UP 3000 (maybe use ONLY this pump for an one-loop-setup? but it's made for fish-tanks)
    - Nikkiso Magpon CP10-PPRV-24 (this is what I found: http://translate.google.com/translat...&hl=de&ie=UTF8)

Which two pumps would you recommend for use?

For the reservoir I would choose a normal cooling box with 10l (to check how it works), because I hardly can find space for a larger reservoir).

Any other hints for me?
    Try to find a reservoir at camping van equipment store or online shop, mine was usually thought for that use.

Regarding the pumps - I only know technichal data of the Eheim 1048, not enough flow for the chiller loop, this pump has only 600l p/h. But I use exactly this type for the waterblock loop, works fine & Eheim is made of good quality.

Try to check the technical specs of You other pumps at online data sheet, You'll need one with at least 1,200l p/h for the chiller loop.

Xtreme Member
    Why not try it with a cooling box first?
    The aquabee up 3000 pump hast 3000l/h, it should be enough for one loop, right?
    But I don't know how it handles the pressure, because my waterblock for cpu is a NexXxos XP...
    I don't know if fishtank-pumps are okay with such a setup.

That looks really cool, great job you did there.

Great temps too.
    "Ninja" Rig:
    E8400 @ 4016MHz (502MHz x 8)
    ASUS Maximus Formula w/ RF 0403 BIOS
    2x2GB Mushkin Redline DDR2-1000
    Diamond HD4870 512MB GDDR5
    WD Caviar Black 1TB
    2x 320GB Seagate 7200.10
    Corsair TX750W
    TRUE120 + 68CFM Scythe "Slip Stream"
    Coolermaster CM 690 "Ninja-Modded" :p
    Windows 7 Ultimate RTM/Build 7600 64-bit

Xtreme 3DTeam Member
    Why not try it with a cooling box first?
    The aquabee up 3000 pump hast 3000l/h, it should be enough for one loop, right?
    But I don't know how it handles the pressure, because my waterblock for cpu is a NexXxos XP...
    I don't know if fishtank-pumps are okay with such a setup.
    Sure - cooling box will work also. Aquabee is OK for the chiller loop, run the Eheim on the waterblock loop with the Nexxxos XP - I use Nexxxos XP Hi flow - so it will work.

Xtreme Member
    Following this thread with interest. Suggested the possibility of using one of these units a while ago, but got slaughtered by a few non-believers...

Considering this for my next system upgrade - want to see how far I can take a QX9650... Think I might use the chiller for the CPU loop only (have a 3-loop system)

@camouflage: is your setup without radiators? would be nice to lose the noise of those

Need to start looking for a suitable reservoir...
    Last edited by polar bear; 04-24-2008 at 03:54 AM.

Rig #1: Maximus Extreme X38 BIOS 0904 | Intel Q6600 rev. G0 @ FSB450*9=4050MHz Vcore=1.575 V_NB=1.61 V_FSB=1.54 | 2x 1GB Corsair Dominator DDR3-14400 1800MHz @ 7-7-7-20-1T V_DIMM=2.06 | 4x WD Raptor 36GB 10000RPM in RAID0 | 1x Samsung SpinPoint T166 250GB 7200RPM | 2x Radeon HD 3870X2 CrossfireX | Thermaltake Toughpower 1200W | Case: Zalman GT1000 | CPU cooling: EK-Supreme + Laing DDC Ultra + PA 120.3 | Chipset cooling: EK blocks + Zalman Reserator XT | GFX cooling: EK-FC3870 X2 + Laing DDC Ultra + PA120.2 | Vista Ultimate 32bit SP1 | 3DMark06: 20116 | Build log

Rig #2: Asus Striker II Formula 780i BIOS 0902 | Intel E6600 rev. B2 @ FSB400*9=3600MHz Vcore=1.40 V_NB=1.32 | 2x 1GB Corsair Dominator DDR2-8500 1066MHz @ 4-4-4-15 V_DIMM=2.20 | 1x Western Digital Raptor X 150GB 10000RPM | 3x XFX 8800GTX in 3-SLI OC to 650/1000 | Thermaltake Toughpower 1200W | Case: Thermaltake Armor | CPU cooling: Swiftech Apogee GTX + Swiftech MCP655 + PA120.2 | GPU cooling: Zalman ZM-GWB8800 GTX/Ultra + Zalman Reserator 1 Plus | Vista Home Premium 32bit SP1 | 3DMark06: 15223 | Build log

Rig #3 (HTPC): Asus P5K Premium/Wifi-AP P35 | Intel E6550 @ stock | 2x 1GB Corsair DDR2-6400 800MHz | 1x Samsung SpinPoint T166 250GB 7200RPM | XFX 8600GTS | Corsair HX620W | Vista Home Premium 32bit | Case: Silverstone SST-LC20B | CPU cooling: Zalman CNPS9500 LED | Vista Home Premium 32bit

Xtreme 3DTeam Member
    Quote Originally Posted by polar bear View Post
    Following this thread with interest. Suggested the possibility of using one of these units a while ago, but got slaughtered by a few non-believers...

Considering this for my next system upgrade - want to see how far I can take a QX9650... Think I might use the chiller for the CPU loop only (have a 3-loop system)

@camouflage: is your setup without radiators? would be nice to lose the noise of those

Need to start looking for a suitable reservoir...
    Yep - without radiators, but 2 x 120mm fans in front of the board as You can see in the pictures. Blowing some air to the SB section (NB is included in the water loop) and to the socket section to prevent it from condensation if very low water temp is set.

Xtreme 3DTeam Member
    I just changed the board, RAM & CPU - now it looks like that:

Cause we have summer here & I want to avoid condensation I set the watertemp to 15°C and got some nice results.

Going for hi FSB:

Going for hi MHz:

Last edited by camouflage; 06-17-2008 at 10:24 PM.

Xtreme Addict
    nice results btw what are you getting for load temps?
    Amd Nvidia/Ati -3dmark06 scorebord revisted

asus L1N64-ws or /b depending on bios chip
    4x1gig 8500 gkill bpk
    2x opteron 8224 @ 3.8ghz
    http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/...&postcount=236
    vga= 8800gt
    winxp pro

custom chiller -31 water
    2x dtek fuzions
    bix3-with x3panaflo hi output
    antec 850 quattro

heat under msimax abitmax and dfimax

Xtreme 3DTeam Member
    Quote Originally Posted by msimax View Post
    nice results btw what are you getting for load temps?
    8° - 15°C above IDLE, depending on speed & Vcore @ 12° - 15°C watertemp.

In winter when my room temp drops sub 20°C I can set ~8°C watertemp - then things will turn even better.........

Xtreme 3DTeam Member
    Here You can see the small difference between Idle and load with this chiller system:

Min. Idle temp is 21°C and after 3 hours prime test max. temp was 26°C.........

Done with 12° - 13°C water temp.

BTW, stock speed 9x333 is running @ 0.96 Vcore:

Xtreme X.I.P.
    lol, emergency shut down valve
    arent you worried that one of the hoses will bend and the waterflow will stop or decrease?
    i dont think the chiller needs a 1000L pump, it probably needs the higher pressure to push the water through it though

what did you gain from going h20?
    and why did you use the max and not the evo?
    and why dont you watercool the videocard?

Xtreme 3DTeam Member
    Quote Originally Posted by saaya View Post
    lol, emergency shut down valve
    arent you worried that one of the hoses will bend and the waterflow will stop or decrease?
    i dont think the chiller needs a 1000L pump, it probably needs the higher pressure to push the water through it though

what did you gain from going h20?
    and why did you use the max and not the evo?
    and why dont you watercool the videocard?
    Too many questions from far east my friend..............

1) No worry about bending hoses - they're very flexible.

2) The manual of the chiller says it needs at least a flow of 1000l p/h for proper working.

3) First pics are older - of course I use the Evo now (---> post #45).

4) What did I gain from going H2O? New personal records..... - like this one:

5) My vid card is a 7950GT - so old and just short before retirering that I'm afraid it could get a heart attach caused by the cold water............

Last edited by camouflage; 06-19-2008 at 01:38 AM.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast