Thread: Lapping Help

Xtreme Member

Lapping Help

Not really too sure where i should be putting this.... Mods, please feel free to move to appropriate section if this isnt the correct area.

I need some assistance with my lapping attempt of my TRUE (In other words Big friggin heatsink) I have tried several different methods (Up and down 30 strokes, rotate 90 degrees, repeat, ive tried pullin towards me only, pushing away from me only,) but for some reason i am lapping the corners more than the middle. What am i doing wrong?

Last edited by SkItZo; 02-27-2008 at 01:10 AM.
    CoolerMaster Stacker STC-T01 | Gigabyte P45-UD3P | Q9550 @ 4GHz 1.30v | 2x2GB G.Skill 8500 | Gigabyte 6950 Flashed to 6970 | Auzentech X-Fi Forte | Seasonic x-750

Loop 1:Laning DDC3.2 XSPC Res Top, Swiftech GTZ & MCR 320

PetrasTech.com R.I.P.
    Team Group Ram

Xtreme Mentor
    I though we had a guide floating around how to lappe. Maybe look around you might find it. But, I use a piece of glass and wet sand paper, starting at 500 grit and i usually stop at about 1000. I don't do fancy stuff. I start with 500, then move to 800 then to 1000. Sometimes I'll polish, but majority of the time I don't. I only do it if it's discolored and I want it to look pretty. I also turn 90 degrees every 10 strokes or so.
    PC Lab Qmicra V2 Case SFFi7 950 4.4GHz 200 x 22 1.36 volts
    Cooled by Swiftech GTZ - CPX-Pro - MCR420+MCR320+MCR220 | Completely Silent loads at 62c
    GTX 470 EVGA SuperClocked Plain stock
    12 Gigs OCZ Reaper DDR3 1600MHz) 8-8-8-24
    ASUS Rampage Gene II |Four OCZ Vertex 2 in RAID-0(60Gig x 4) | WD 2000Gig Storage

Theater ::: Panasonic G20 50" Plasma | Onkyo SC5508 Processor | Emotiva XPA-5 and XPA-2 | CSi A6 Center| 2 x Polk RTi A9 Front Towers| 2 x Klipsch RW-12d
    Lian-LI HTPC | Panasonic Blu Ray 655k| APC AV J10BLK Conditioner |

Xtreme Member
    I've looked at several guides on here, (mainly for cpu's but the same theory applies) as well as a demo that was upped on youtube for the same heatsink. I am lapping on a peice of glass that i got in a kit, i started on 240, went up to 400, then 600, then 1200 (Thats all my auto store stocked) but as you can see the corners are ground down more than the middle, it is still extremely flat (checked with the blade of a stanley knife) its just that the corners are ground down more. I know this wont make a difference because of the size of the heatsink but i plan on lapping my CPU soon enough and i dont want the same thing to happen with it.
    CoolerMaster Stacker STC-T01 | Gigabyte P45-UD3P | Q9550 @ 4GHz 1.30v | 2x2GB G.Skill 8500 | Gigabyte 6950 Flashed to 6970 | Auzentech X-Fi Forte | Seasonic x-750

PetrasTech.com R.I.P.
    Team Group Ram

Xtreme Member
    i dont know much about method, but as far as lapping sandpaper/kits i would recommend this one... easypckits(Premium) i looked in every store in the whole city of Edmond and didnt find anything higher than 800 grit >.< but then i stumbled on this lapping kit... ordered it today and it looks promising =P. Goes to 10 micron (equivalent of 2,500 -3,000 grit!)
    Last edited by GunterFalstaff; 02-27-2008 at 01:31 AM.
    [MOB] AM3 Asus M4A79T Deluxe
    [GPU] ATI HD 5870 1gb 925 mhz
    [RAM] OCZ Reaper 4gb 1600 mhz
    [CPU] AMD Phenom II 965 4.0 ghz

"What doesn't kill you, only postpones the inevitable..."
    Water Cooled Apevia X-Plorer | Custom Window | Lapped Phenom II 955 | Lapped Phenom 9850

Xtreme Member
    Weird...it shouldnt happen if u used glass,maybe your sand paper isnt laying perfectly flat on the glass...are u sure it is taped well? U dont need to use wet on all grits,just for the final touch with 1200/2000 grit u can use wet paper.

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by GunterFalstaff View Post
    i dont know much about method, but as far as lapping sandpaper/kits i would recommend this one... easypckits(Premium) i looked in every store in the whole city of Edmond and didnt find anything higher than 800 grit >.< but then i stumbled on this lapping kit... ordered it today and it looks promising =P. Goes to 10 micron (equivalent of 2,500 -3,000 grit!)
    Thats the kit i got my peice of glass from Saving the good paper for my cpu also ordered some polishing compound, but from the way it was looking at P1200 i wont need to bother with it

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by -= rtz =- View Post
    Weird...it shouldnt happen if u used glass,maybe your sand paper isnt laying perfectly flat on the glass...are u sure it is taped well? U dont need to use wet on all grits,just for the final touch with 1200/2000 grit u can use wet paper.
    I taped the corners, maybe i should tape the sides as well... Yeah, the water is just to lubricate it, makes the lapping process take longer when trying to flatten it etc

Thanks

PetrasTech.com R.I.P.
    Team Group Ram

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SkItZo View Post
    I taped the corners, maybe i should tape the sides as well... Yeah, the water is just to lubricate it, makes the lapping process take longer when trying to flatten it etc
    Try taping the paper along the sides,tape every side completely,not just the corners.It should lay perfectly flat on the glass.
    AFAIK wet paper is used for polishing/final touches,highest grits,and it indeed slows down the lapping process if used on lower grits.
    Last edited by -= rtz =-; 02-27-2008 at 06:28 AM.

possible try doing figure 8's... i think up to 1200grit 1500 grit is all that is needed..but i use up to 2000grit on my cpu

for lube put a drop of dish soap in the water y ou are using it will help
    2600k @ ?? TBD
    Noctua NH-D14
    Asus P8Z68-V Pro Gen3
    4x4GB G.Skill Ripjaws
    EVGA 8800GT SC 512mb(need upgrade ASAP)
    1x Corsair Force Series GT 120GB
    1x WD Black 1TB 7200 RPM
    X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty
    SeaSonic X-SERIES X-1050

Xtreme Addict
    If your base if flat as you say then your lapping the corners more because the drag of the sandpaper is causing you to lean the HS ever so slightly. period.

Same thing was happening to my ninja. even thougn I held it by slipping my fingers into the base kind of I still could not keep the the thing completely flat againt the paper when I moved it. It had a tendancy to want to lean when I started to move it and thus the edges and corners got ever so slightly rounded off. Was still flat in the middle and the only thing I could do was to move it at a turtles pace. Very slowly.
    Last edited by little_scrapper; 02-28-2008 at 07:16 AM.
    Boy that info was old. As am I. Currently my kids have taken over my desktops. They are both sporting matching GTX1080's. Last Christmas I got everyone Oculuses and thus GTX1080's. My eldest is some sort of CSGO champion gold label something or other. Me I work and shoot real guns. Build Comps as needed.