Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: swiftech microres help

Xtreme Member

swiftech microres help

okay, so this is the first time i've tried to use a reservior. i decided to go with the swiftech microres because it was cheap. figures. the brackets it comes with don't fit the thing in any way shape or form. where i want to mount it i need the brackets or something like it. i need to mount on the inside of the case, on the back, next to the pci slots. any suggestions or other solutions? i'm not very creative which is why i need some help with finding a solution here.

Xtreme Member
    I can tell you this, the experts around here are going to want pics
    PC
    CPU: Q6600 Mobo: XFX 780i Ram: 4gb OCZ Platinum 1066mhz VGA: XFX GeForce 8800 gts 512mb HDD: Seagate Barracuda 500gb x 2 Case: Silverstone tj07
    Cooling
    CPU: D-tek Fuzion, quad nozzle + washer NB: ViperJohn 780i SPP/NF200 waterblock VGA: EK-FC88 GT/GTS (G92) Rad: PA120.2 Fans: Noctua NF-P12-1300 x 4 Reservoir: Swiftech MCRES-Micro Tubing: Tygon R-3603 1/2" ID 5/8" OD Pump: Swiftech MCP655 vario

I am Xtreme
    pics

edit: lol beat me to it
    Quote Originally Posted by skinnee View Post
    No, I think he had a date tonight...

He and his EK Supreme are out for a night on the town!

Xtreme Enthusiast
    PICS PICS PICS PICS PICS PICS PICS PICS PICS!! lol, i think you get the picture (no pun intended) now. just we cant do anything for u without them.

Xtreme Member
    i wasn't really sure what to take a picture of.... so i took a pic of where i wanted the res to be. i guess i could use zip ties. but that really wasn't what i was going for.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_0281.jpg 
Views:	1912 
Size:	174.7 KB 
ID:	72928  

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Actually, DaptCrunch, the MicroRes comes with a pair of U-brackets just like you pictured.....although they only have one hole in the center of the flat part of the "U" instead of the two you picture. It also comes with an L-bracket.

I don't know why you, #su, cannot get the U-brackets to fit the res and mount where you want, unless the space available is too tight to allow for the brackets around the mount tabs on the rear of the reservoir along with the screws.

Go to this page at Petra's and look at the mounting hardware included w/the res and tell me why the U-brackets won't work here.

Banned
    the first batch mcres i got had no brackets yet, had to improvise a little...

i used a paper clip to hang said res somewhere inside my case...

Xtreme Member
    the U brackets that come with it don't fit. the res just sits there loose and moves all over the place. the directions say to use the rubber O rings but its too tight. i'd have to bend the U bracket to get it to fit, then the screw doesn't reach the other side. stupid res. i should just go back to using a T line.

Xtreme Member
    Just had a play with my "spare" MCRES Micro.

I see what you mean. One of the silver washers fits - snugly, but fits without too much "bending" - i.e. just "push it" until it fits.

I've also tried a 0.5mm thick anti-vibration rubber washer (designed for HDDs) bought from Maplins in the UK. This also works, again it's tight but it fits if you "wiggle it" enough.

Anyways, there's two options I can come up with right now.

Edit: I used the long bracket rotated 90 degrees (but still vertical) and hung the res from the case top. Then you can just screw in to it and use the rubber washers. No problems.

Picture of bracket without res in place (top right above fan controller):

Res mounted (top right):

HTH
    J
    Last edited by brammers; 02-25-2008 at 10:05 AM. Reason: additional comment

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Looking at Swiftech's brackets made me think of Meccano - that might work

Xtreme Addict
    mechano, those were the days
    Quote Originally Posted by Chruschef in regards to Thermaltake water cooling
    you'd be better off cooling your components with a fire....

Xtreme Addict
    velcro? 3M mount tape?

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by #su View Post
    the U brackets that come with it don't fit. the res just sits there loose and moves all over the place. the directions say to use the rubber O rings but its too tight. i'd have to bend the U bracket to get it to fit, then the screw doesn't reach the other side. stupid res. i should just go back to using a T line.
    You're not alone, I can't understand how the they did build the brackets. Impossible to fit. I finally opted for a lateral fixation. Using less thicker O-rings is an alternative
    Q6600 G0 L740B126 Lapped, 2x1Gb Kingston HyperX DDR2-1200
    Gigabyte 8800 GTS 512Mb OC 756-1890-1000
    TT Toughpower 750 W (W0116) new 8xPCI-E Rev.
    Western Digital Caviar SE16 WD6400 AAKS rocks
    WC: Swiftech H2O-Apex Ultra 220 GT + PA120.3 5v
    OCZ XTC RAM Cooler, HR-05 IFX + 80mm FAN (NB), 2x HR-09U type 2 (mosfets), Modded Zalman ZM NB-47J (SB), Arctic-Cooling MX-2
    Vista 32 bits
    ------------
    - ASUS P5K Premium bios 0612: (3.84GHz 8x480) @1.432v

------------
    - P5B Deluxe: 3.60GHz (9x400) @1.33v *** Old Setup (P5B deluxe)

OCCT 2.x Final Download

Xtreme Member
    ok... so i've tried all the suggestions and really haven't been able to get it how i want. i tried with the zip ties and it doesn't look that bad. and it was easy to position it where i wanted with the zip ties. unfortunately every time i need to add/remove a pci device i would need to cut the zip ties.

Xtreme Mentor
    Zips are cheap. And once done how often will ya have to replace a PCI device?

Or you could find a machine shop at $50 an hour for design and etc etc.... Your choice.

You'd be amazed by walking through a good hardware store lookin at all the fittings etc, or even the garage junk box what you can come up with.......

Velcro FTW! Try it! evils suggestion.........
    Last edited by Conumdrum; 02-26-2008 at 08:05 PM.
    All stock for now, no need for more, but it's gonna be soon methinks.
    Giga Xtreme 58 mobo i7 965 ES D0 step Corsair 1600 6 gig
    SLI GTX470 EVGA
    EK HF nickle blue top CPU block (free from Eddie)
    Koolance 470 waterblocks
    One big loop, two 120x3 rads. Pa 120.3 and XSPC RX 120x3. Swiftech 35x pump with V2 restop. GT AP15 fans.
    Banchetto Tech Station
    120 GB SSD, and a few other drives.
    1000W UltraX3 PSU, 900 watt (1500VA UPS
    23.999" Acer GD235hz and 24" Acer H243H

Xtreme Enthusiast
    velcro would do the trick. easily removable and strong. plus u can put in ANYWHERE!!

Xtreme Member
    i bent mine and didn't use o-rings and it worked great exactly where you have yours

Xtreme Addict
    It's crazy though how swiftech conceived their mcres
    Q6600 G0 L740B126 Lapped, 2x1Gb Kingston HyperX DDR2-1200
    Gigabyte 8800 GTS 512Mb OC 756-1890-1000
    TT Toughpower 750 W (W0116) new 8xPCI-E Rev.
    Western Digital Caviar SE16 WD6400 AAKS rocks
    WC: Swiftech H2O-Apex Ultra 220 GT + PA120.3 5v
    OCZ XTC RAM Cooler, HR-05 IFX + 80mm FAN (NB), 2x HR-09U type 2 (mosfets), Modded Zalman ZM NB-47J (SB), Arctic-Cooling MX-2
    Vista 32 bits
    ------------
    - ASUS P5K Premium bios 0612: (3.84GHz 8x480) @1.432v

------------
    - P5B Deluxe: 3.60GHz (9x400) @1.33v *** Old Setup (P5B deluxe)

OCCT 2.x Final Download

I am Xtreme
    I put a micro in that exact same place on a CM Centurion 5 with the enclosed U brackets. I had the same problem so I just ignored Swiftech's instructions and used them the way they work, screw, washer and nut. It takes a little tightening but, it will finally clamp onto the res.

Circles SucQ!

If your annoyed by sigs telling you to put things in your sig, then put this in your sig

Bribery won't work on me...just say NO to AT!!!

Banned
    put some creativity or common sense, play around with it, and you might even come up with a better solution, like they said velcro is easiest, zip tie cheapest, then going through hardware store or spare parts box and DIY for experience FTW...

Xtreme Member
    well, i was trying to figure out how to use the velcro, but couldn't really find any room for it as the back of the res isn't flat, and although it's a huge case, it's space is only optimized for a single rad and bay res. i'm currently using the zip ties, i'm going to try and make brackets that work better, or have someone make them.

does it matter which port i use for the inlet? i used the top for the inlet because i had the bottom hooked up as inlet but the water wouldn't cycle through the system. it just sat there motionless. so i switched it to the top port and the water is flowing but the water in the res is rough/bubbly and building condensation.

you know... i never had any issues with a T line.
    i had to use a res cause i thought it would look good

Banned
    You must use the upper side hole as inlet and the lower one for output. It's normal to see bubbles and condensation at first so just top it off when the water level get lower and forget about it.

Xtreme Member
    i was just looking at waterlogged's pic, and it looks like he is using the bottom as the inlet?

unless the top of that pump is the inlet for the pump?

Xtreme Member
    i was just looking at waterlogged's pic, and it looks like he is using the bottom as the inlet?

unless the top of that pump is the inlet for the pump?
    Yes the top is the inlet for the pump

iadstudio
    i wasn't really sure what to take a picture of.... so i took a pic of where i wanted the res to be. i guess i could use zip ties. but that really wasn't what i was going for.
    The best fits are almost ALWAY not the obvious choice. I think that fit would work, but you might need a home depot trip. Also, performance-pcs sells the mounting brackets for that res.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast