Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Project: RainMaker (PC-343B w/ Horizontal Mobo and Triple Loops)

Banned
    very very nice as usual VR, cant wait for this to finish, (and of course your next project too, hehehe)...

Xtreme Recruit
    Very nice indeed
    X6800
    EVGA 680i
    2x 8800gtx
    Team Group

Buy the ticket, take the ride.

Xtreme Addict
    Updated in Post #2 with some additional build pics!

I am Xtreme
    looks amazing

what wattage are those psu's rated @
    Last edited by disruptfam; 02-14-2008 at 01:04 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by skinnee View Post
    No, I think he had a date tonight...

He and his EK Supreme are out for a night on the town!

VERY nice look with your "metal enhanced" tubing. Reminds me of my new brake fluid hoses for my bike

Xtreme Member
    Not a bad idea to paint the Thermochills. I put some isolating-tape on it to protect it from scratches during mounting. When I removed the tape, which didn´t really grip that much, the Thermochill lost its paint on most of all the places I had the tape. That´s a bad quality for a damn good price.

Empty your mind. Be formless, shapeless. Like water. You put water into a bottle and it becomes the bottle. You put in a teapot, it becomes the teapot. Water can flow, or it can crash.
    ...be water my friend

Worklog - Lian Li PC 343b built with 2 Triple-Rad-Loops

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Wow, that is one heck of a build...excellent work. I'm really loving the presentation as well, thanks for the effort!
    C2D E8400 @ 4.4 Ghz
    Asus P5K Deluxe
    Nvidia 8800 GTS @ 648/900
    2GB Ballistix
    Dtek, Swiftech & EK blocks, 2x D5, PA120.3, 2, & 1.
    WD Raptor X 150GB & Seagate 7200.10 320GB
    X-Fi Prelude
    Corsair HX620
    Silverstone TJ07
    Dell 2407 WFP

Banned
    I love the sleeving of tubing A great option for those who use barbs instead of compression fittings is to use heatshrink at both ends to stop fraying and have some room for the hose clamp.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    great job dude.
    The only drawback are those PSUs. Do you really believe they will be cooled enough with those small blocks attached by thermal adhesive?
    Last edited by leo_bsb; 02-14-2008 at 11:31 AM.
    My Lian Li G70
    Asus P6X58D-E * i7-930 * Saphire 7970 * 6GB Corsair XMS3 1600 C7 * Crucial M4 256GB SSD * Lian Li G70W Powdercoated
    Watercooled by single loop Coolgate Quad 120 + Swiftech MCR220 with San Aces H1011 * EK Supreme HF * Koolance VID-AR797 * EK Asus X58 full set * DDC 3.25 with EK Dual Top/Res

Xtreme Member
    Excellent job, very clean and smooth. Can't wait for update
    vuuuu

Xtreme Member
    Fantastic write up! soo much detail! can't wait to see more pics with tubing installed!

Xtreme Member
    Dare I ask how long until the next rebuild?! Can't wait til the next update!

Xtreme Member
    Holy crap, this is nuts!

This is like 100% pure awesome.

Excellent detailed presentation with very clear photos.

I sympathise with your frustrations when buying parts on the net, based on inadequate web photos, which when the parts arrive, don't suit your plans.

I plan to try and avoid this by going to the manufactures web site and downloading their technical drawings, then add the dimensions to Autocad to check size and fittings with the case design.

I'm still trying to nail down which type of custom cooling system, to use in my dual horizontal mobo self designed case. I intend to start with the cooling system then design the case around it.

Looking forward to part 2 of your mod.

Xtreme Member

is it possible

Can you fit a 120.3 rad horizontally where you installed the 120.2 in the back of the case?

Xtreme Mentor
    Every single part just reaks with quality!
    Asus Maximus SE X38 / Lapped Q6600 G0 @ 3.8GHz (L726B397 stock VID=1.224) / 7 Ultimate x64 /EVGA GTX 295 C=650 S=1512 M=1188 (Graphics)/ EVGA GTX 280 C=756 S=1512 M=1296 (PhysX)/ G.SKILL 8GB (4 x 2GB) SDRAM DDR2 1000 (PC2 8000) / Gateway FPD2485W (1920 x 1200 res) / Toughpower 1,000-Watt modular PSU / SilverStone TJ-09 BW / (2) 150 GB Raptor's RAID-0 / (1) Western Digital Caviar 750 GB / LG GGC-H20L (CD, DVD, HD-DVD, and BlueRay Drive) / WaterKegIII Xtreme / D-TEK FuZion CPU, EVGA Hydro Copper 16 GPU, and EK NB S-MAX Acetal Waterblocks / Enzotech Forged Copper CNB-S1L (South Bridge heat sink)

Xtreme Mentor
    I wanted to say thank you for putting the time in effort not only in this build but also in the pictures and the details that went along with it.
    It was really enjoyable to look it and read.
    My eyes were like this the entire time
    Asus P6T, I7-920, 6gb ocz xmp, 4890, Raid 0-1 Terabyte, full watercooled - Triple Loop 5 radiators

I am Xtreme
    Looking Forward To More Updates!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by skinnee View Post
    No, I think he had a date tonight...

He and his EK Supreme are out for a night on the town!

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by virtualrain View Post
    It turns out I didn't get time to post some more pics tonight but should have time tomorrow.

Some additional comments...

In regards to attention to detail, thanks... this is my main hobby these days and so it's as much about the journey as the destination. The consequence of this is that by taking several months my electronics were nearly obsolete by the time I was finished. The good thing is that this case and the core cooling setup should last for several future PC builds.

In terms of money, it is excessive by some standards, but perhaps more practical than you might think. What annoys me the most about this hobby is that you have to buy most parts sight unseen over the internet based on a picture or two and when you are doing a seriously custom job with a lot of planning you end up making assumptions about parts size, fitment, and compatibility that simply don't pan out. I don't know how much money I wasted on brackets, fans, shrouds, modding parts, etc that I ultimately couldn't use or didn't want to use once I had the parts in hand. With shipping costs what they are, it's not always practical to return stuff you don't want/need either. Sadly, I could probably build another entire rig with spare parts I have lying around from this one. That's where most of the money is wasted in my opinion.

This case is expensive as everyone knows, and the accessories are steeply priced as well, but things like nickel plating, powder coating, sleeving for cables, and modders mesh to hide unwanted things, are really insignificant and well worth it.

One last thought on the the cost... perhaps the most expensive part of custom computer building is the investment in tools. I have a very modest tool set compared to some folks around here (i.e. I don't have a machine shop!) but the right tools can make a project like this so much simpler... but those tools can add up quicker than a pair of SLI graphics cards.

By my calculations, without the cost of tools factored in or my time... just the parts, materials, and outsourced plating/coating, I spent about $5K which is not much more than a high-end Vodoo or Alienware rig would cost and it's a lot more satisfying (albeit frustrating at times) than ordering a rig from a catalog.

l]
    I totally agree with you in so many ways. The journey to the end result is just as important as getting there, and sometimes the cost of getting there can be an expensive one.

When you become obsessed with every detail of the build, you will go to any lengths to achieve it. I only got into liquidcooling 10 months ago and my first build totalled £3,200 = $6273. I kept every receipt for all the little things like nuts, bolts, screws, brackets, the cost for those alone came to £220 = $433.

I had lists a mile long every time I went to a DIY store, if I needed some screws or bolts I would buy a verity of different sizes just to make sure I had the right gear for the job. I would travel 25 miles just to checkout companies when I needed more specialized parts.

I was terrible for placing orders online for parts then a couple of days latter I’d remember something else needed, so I paid double postage loads of times. I had parts shipped for the USA and Europe. I’ve got boxes full of spare gear that’s left over from that build. Thank God I’ve got an understanding wife. lol

I think building liquidcooled PCs is like climbing mountains. You have to plan, plan and plan again. And once you’ve workout a route sometime you need to deviate from that route to get you to the top. But when you’ve cracked that mountain you start to look for a new challenge.

I’m already thinking about my next venture in to liquidcooling, and just like climbing mountains the next one has to be more of a challenge than the one before. I think ultimately the route I need to go down is building my own custom case, because that way you can have total control of the build instead of being constrained by the limitation of manufactured cases.

Look at the cost of a top quality case like the TJ07 or your 343B, what’s the first thing we need to do with it, strip it down and start hacking bits off that give us problems. Are we mad or what lol. If I’m honest I thinks I get more enjoyment out of building PCs than using them.

Just like to say once again that you are doing a fantastic build. You are setting new boundaries when it comes to the dedication and commitment needed to produce work like yours.
    Asus P5K-Premium Black Pearl Rev 2.00, Bios 0204
    CPU: E6600, B2, 8x425, 3.4GHz Solid, (Lapped) temps: 27c idle, 44c full load
    RAM: OCZ PC2-6400 CL 4 FlexXLC (4-4-4-15-2T)
    GPU: ASUS EN 8800 GTX
    S/C: Sound Blaster X-FI gamer
    PSU: Galaxy 1000W
    HDD: RaptorX 150, Deskstar 250
    Case: SilverStone TJ07
    mCubed T-Balancer + Sensor Hub = 12 temp probes
    Cooling: Liquidcooled.
    Loop 1: CPU>Fuzion, GPU>EK 8800-GTX- FC, PA120.3 Rad, D5 pump.
    Loop 2: Mosfets>EK ASUS3, Northbridge>EK ASUS1, Southbridge>EK ASUS1, BIP 240 Rad, D5 pump.

Xtreme Member
    Man, you're attention to detail, AWESOME. Love the tubing, can't wait to see it in action. I was wondering about the PSU's though, how good are they? I mean stability on the rails etc.

Quote Originally Posted by ladderman View Post
    I think building liquidcooled PCs is like climbing mountains. You have to plan, plan and plan again. And once you’ve workout a route sometime you need to deviate from that route to get you to the top. But when you’ve cracked that mountain you start to look for a new challenge.
    Thats exactly how I feel, and I'm starting to understand how these things work. With my last build I was thinking like "Well, after this I will be satisfied for a couple of years", but after a few weeks you're already getting hungry for something new, as it is so darn funny to build. Especially watercooling.

Look at the cost of a top quality case like the TJ07 or your 343B, what’s the first thing we need to do with it, strip it down and start hacking bits off that give us problems. Are we mad or what lol. If I’m honest I thinks I get more enjoyment out of building PCs than using them.
    Couldn't agree more

WOW AWESOME thats my dream pc wow nice work bud well done i am just noob at the water cooling atm but leaning well keep up gd work any tips on my stuff will be helpfull
    Amd QuadCore 2.8Ghz
    Asus M5A78L/USB3
    Kingston HyperX 12 Gig DDR3 1600
    Msi N460GTX Cyclone 1GD5/OC
    Corsair Force Series 3 SSD 120 Gig
    WD VelociRaptor 160 Gig
    Seagate Barracuda 1Tb
    Corsair CX750 Watts
    Logitech G15 Keyboard
    Logitech G500 Mouse
    Plantronics 780 HeadSet

WOW! That's sick man!

Very beautiful.

Xtreme Member
    Wow, what a great build, with attention to detail I've never seen.

I wish I had both the time, and ability to do something like this!

I'm in the middle of my new build, and after seeing your pics, and others on this site, I've made it a point to TAKE MY TIME! and make sure everything is planned out.

I hope my build comes out half as nice as yours, and I'll be a very happy 'puter builder....

Good luck, and can't wait for my pics.

Breezyjr

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Breezyjr View Post
    I wish I had both the time, and ability to do something like this!
    Time is important of course, but if it is your hobby, you cant blame time for not living out your hobby, at least thats my opinion .

I'm in the middle of my new build, and after seeing your pics, and others on this site, I've made it a point to TAKE MY TIME! and make sure everything is planned out.
    Yes, if you want a good result, you really need to take your time. A tip is to always measure twice, or even three times to be 100% shure that you get things right.

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast