Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: New Version Ballistix PC2-8500 Review

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by Don_Dan View Post
    The manufacturer of the chips ( Micron ) and the RAM manufacturers like Corsair do separate binning of the ICs. GKX is the higher bin from Micron, but you may find GMH that performs as good or even better. And the RAM manufacturers choose the chips that are better suited for a given task, like low frequency + tight timings or high frequency + loose timings, GMH may perform better than GKX in some of the tasks. Recently, most of the chips marked as GMH performed better than GKX,which were rarely found ( at least I don't know of it), but they performed very good, often better than previous GKX, as Micron has refined it's process.
    So it mostly depends on the binning process of the RAM manufacturer.
    I hope I could make it a bit clearer for you, but there are some people here on XS far more knowledgeable than me about the different characteristics of GKX and GMH.
    thx for the answer

Xtreme Infrastructure Eng
    Quote Originally Posted by Veritas.no View Post
    Any hints to how I can get the heatspreader of without destroying it? I can have a look if anyone comes with a hint Seems glued :o
    Place them in an anti-static bag within a ziplock and let them chill out in the freezer for an hour or two. They should pop off with minimal force once chilled. If that doesn't work, use a can of compressed air turned upside-down.
    Less is more.

iadstudio
    Quote Originally Posted by Gogeta View Post
    Place them in an anti-static bag within a ziplock and let them chill out in the freezer for an hour or two. They should pop off with minimal force once chilled. If that doesn't work, use a can of compressed air turned upside-down.
    If you do that be careful of condensation.

Xtreme Infrastructure Eng
    Quote Originally Posted by iadstudio View Post
    If you do that be careful of condensation.
    Definitely. Always let parts placed in a colder environment than ambient return to room temp before supplying power. If condensation does occur then a longer drying period will be necessary.
    Less is more.

Xtreme Mentor
    Quote Originally Posted by David_L6 View Post
    I hope these are more reliable than the old PC-2 8500 Ballistix.... I've had 4 one gig sticks of that die (and 2 one gig sticks of the Ballistix PC-2 6400) in the last couple of months.
    Micron IC's are very temperamental with voltage
    "To exist in this vast universe for a speck of time is the great gift of life. Our tiny sliver of time is our gift of life. It is our only life. The universe will go on, indifferent to our brief existence, but while we are here we touch not just part of that vastness, but also the lives around us. Life is the gift each of us has been given. Each life is our own and no one else's. It is precious beyond all counting. It is the greatest value we have. Cherish it for what it truly is."

Tyler Durden
    On this news, you can already see that many sites have raised the price of their current 'old' Ballistix PC2-8500 stock.
    Formerly XIP, now just P.

Xtreme Member
    Well, I don't know about the minmal force, but they came off. I took some pitcures to, but I only have a suckysucky mobilcamra. So they show nada.

B
    A
    L -I8F
    L
    I
    S
    T
    I
    X
    l4jn *(colored cirkle)

That's all the chips say, so if that's helpfull to someone then I'm happy ^^

Edit: And they fail at 1200 5 5 5 15 @ 2.2 volts superpi 1m :o
    Last edited by Veritas.no; 02-09-2008 at 04:50 PM.

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by irev210 View Post
    aw.

what a bummer. No more classic D9DCT/GMH/GKX IC

Moved onto their newer 78nm IC

A bigger question is how does this scale with voltage?

You guys arent looking at this on the positive side though -- GOOD 4GB ddr2 ballistix kits!
    Exactly

Bring them on. Thanks for the review, Richie.
    You're welcome

Quote Originally Posted by KTE View Post
    Thanks for the review Rich!

So it's rated for the same timings but at 2.0V EPP instead of 2.2V as used to be... but at the same time it oc's worse at C3, C4 and C5 @ 2.2V. I mean I've not properly tested mine but they do 800 3-2-2-1 2-25-4/5-8-8-3-8-2 at 2.18V real fully benchable but those couldn't get close.

How were the loaded temps on them at stock compared to GKX/GMH?

I like the 6hr P95 testing you included though, worth it to show everyday use scenarios.

One thing: The image shows stock bootup at tRFC 52, is this really what they're rated for?

My GMH 2 revs back were rated at 1066 42 tRFC @ 2.2V and it required most volts to drop below 35 past 1100. I got a friend to send some older rev over to UK and it cost me 70+25 dollars so they still worked out cheaper than these.
    Can't say I've tested temps, I always run with a couple of 80mm fans around the NB and RAM.

About the tRFC, apart from the normal 4 settings (tCL, tRTC, tRP, tRAS), the rest were left on Auto and I used a P5K Deluxe.

If you can get hold of an old set then they're bound to be better, and UK-US pricing is a bit messed up. £60 is a very good price for these, and they're back in stock in a number of shops as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Don_Dan View Post
    Thanks for the review Richie!

So they changed the chips from the old 16FD3 to the new 8FE5, I already expected that when someone was complaining about not getting good overclocks with his Ballistix 8500 in the respective thread.

I also think these are D9HNL or similar, I disagree with you on that, because I think GCT was a member of the GMH/GKX/GKW etc family.
    Any chance you will take the heatspreaders off your kit to check?
    You're welcome! Unfortunately I'm in the middle of moving house at the moment (far too much going on in my personal life ) so I'm a bit pre-occupied. Veritas has just posted what he's got so hopefully that helps...I will do in a week or so if still required.

Quote Originally Posted by eva2000 View Post
    thanks for the review and heads up Richie!
    I'm glad people like it
    Last edited by Richie P; 02-10-2008 at 12:37 AM.

CPU's:- Xeon 3060 | Q6600 G0
    Mobos:- MSI X48C (Coming!) | MSI X38 Platinum | Asus P5K Deluxe
    RAM:- Kingston HyperX PC3-14400 | Team Xtreem PC2-6400C3 | Crucial Ballistix PC2-6400 | Kingston PC2-9600
    Graphics:- PNY 9800GX2 | EVGA 8800GTX
    PSUs :- Antec TPQ-1KW | Ultra X-Pro 600w EE
    Cooling:- Nozzled FuZion | MCW60 | DDC w/ DDCT-01s | PA120.3

Memory Addict
    one question could it be a mislabelling as the packaging stille says 128MB x 64 and not 256MB x 64

---

Xtreme Member
    Glad I managed to buy a 16FD3 kit for 65€ 3 weeks ago ^_^
    hopefully I will never need to RmA

Xtreme Addict
    phew. just got my ballistix 667cas3 sticks the other day. 16fd4 still double sided.
    E8400 8x500=4000 | ABIT IP35-E
    2x2GB Tracer PC2-6400 1:1 500MHz 5-5-5-15 2.0V
    Galaxy 8800GT 800/2000/1100 1.3V | 80GB X25-M G2 + 1.5TB 7200.11 | XFiXG
    Fuzion | MCW60 | DDC2+Petra | Coolrad22T+BIP1

Merom 13x133=1733 1MB L2 0.950V

Xtreme Member
    I have the new one's and can't say any positive about. Worked great for one week @ 1080MHz and 5.5.5.15 @ v2.23 and now my system is totally unstable with them so I put back in my Super Talent and they work just fine. No matter what I set them up the system become unstable @ all settings can't run them even @ stock
    Any suggestions ?
    DFI X38-T2R
    C2Q6600 Lapped@3.6 GHz Scythe Infinity
    2x2GB OCZ Gold @960 c4
    EVGA 8800Ultra on 27" Dell
    Auzentek X-Fi Prelude 7.1@Logitech Z-5500
    WDC SE16 640GB,WDC 250GB,SpinPoint 2x500GB
    PSU TT Toughpower 1.2KW
    Razer Tarantula
    Logitech G5 on eXactMat
    Technics RP-DJ1200

Xtreme Member
    OR... grab a air compressed can the spray dust ones ,turn it upside down and spray so the liquid comes out and freezes the ram,same solution but it takes 30 seconds not 2 hours

Xtreme Cruncher
    Can't believe Crucial has gone junk with their high-end serie... I guess I'll stick with 2GB and grab some G.Skill 4GB PC2-8000 down the road...
    Main system:
    Q6600 G0 L737B 3,8GHz
    Maximus Formula X38
    Ballistix PC2-8500 2x1GB
    XFX 8800GT XT
    Corsair HX620
    X-Fi Platinum
    150GB Raptor (Dual Boot) /2x 250GB WD Caviar (Apps)
    Lian-Li V2000B Plus II

School: MacBook
    Studying in: Pharmacy
    Where: University of Montreal

Xtreme Member
    Thats what they did and I'm going to send them back to my reseller.
    DFI X38-T2R
    C2Q6600 Lapped@3.6 GHz Scythe Infinity
    2x2GB OCZ Gold @960 c4
    EVGA 8800Ultra on 27" Dell
    Auzentek X-Fi Prelude 7.1@Logitech Z-5500
    WDC SE16 640GB,WDC 250GB,SpinPoint 2x500GB
    PSU TT Toughpower 1.2KW
    Razer Tarantula
    Logitech G5 on eXactMat
    Technics RP-DJ1200

Quote Originally Posted by Richie P View Post
    You're welcome! Unfortunately I'm in the middle of moving house at the moment (far too much going on in my personal life ) so I'm a bit pre-occupied. Veritas has just posted what he's got so hopefully that helps...I will do in a week or so if still required.
    Yeah, it's okay. Sometimes there are more important things to do...

I will ask R00n about the chips, maybe he can identify them.

Keep up the good work!

Quote Originally Posted by chew* View Post
    You can never have enough D9's.

Xtreme Member
    well i can tell your for a fact its not D9HNL ic's. cause i have some D9HNL's they dont like voltage over 1.95v... if you go to 2v they wont even boot up....
    http://www.ocforums.com/showthread.php?t=510513
    Intel Pentium G3258 | ASRock Z97M OC Formula | Samsung 2x4GB DDR3-1600 | Galaxy GTX660 GC | Samsung PM840 Pro 128GB, PM830 250GB FDE |

"I Love To Camp!"
    "Comensing Shock Therapy!"

HeatWare

Memory Addict
    Looks like the Crucial PC2-5300 CAS3 modules with ending batch of 8FE4 are ones which are single sided as well ...!

Quote Originally Posted by bbjayo View Post
    I think the 1gb PC-5300 modules have changed aswell. I recently bought another 2 x 1gb modules from crucial to add to the 2 x 1gb modules I bought from extremepc last year. Everest reports 1 rank 8 banks as opposed to 2 ranks, 4 banks in the originals.

SPD reports different values for RC and RFC. The new modules won;t run at 438mhz CL4 - have to go to CL5

bb
    http://forums.overclockers.com.au/sh...73&postcount=6

http://forums.overclockers.com.au/sh...7&postcount=11

---

Wanna look under my kilt?
    Has anyone been through all the combos of MHz, timings and volts with these new sticks?

etc etc etc

More than one way to skin a cat- maybe we need to change our expectations because the density and tech process is different- I wouldnt call RAM @ 2.2V bench-ready

If it does just under 600MHz 5-5-5 @ 2.2V PRIME STABLE, I wouldnt instantly call that a write-off for 650MHz SPi32M @ 2.4V?
    Last edited by K404; 02-12-2008 at 03:51 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by T_M View Post
    Not sure i totally follow anything you said, but regardless of that you helped me come up with a very good idea....
    Quote Originally Posted by soundood View Post
    you sigged that?

why?
    ______

Sometimes, it's not your time. Sometimes, you have to make it your time. Sometimes, it can ONLY be your time.

will tracers still be GMH/GKX?

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SaII View Post
    will tracers still be GMH/GKX?
    Negative...well, I'd be VERY surprised if they were.

Thank you all for your kind words - it really makes the effort worthwhile

Xtreme Cruncher
    so what now? just move on to some G.Skillz?
    Nikon User
    Nikon D200 (Gone =( )/D300
    Nikkor 18-105mm(Gone) // Nikkor 50mm 1.8 // Nikkor 55-200VR(Gone)
    Tokina 12-24 // Tamron 90mm //
    Manfrotto & Benro Legs // Benro Ballhead.

Current Lust = 80-200 Or 70-200VR1 <--Pending

No more computer parts for me... Well for now until I
    really REALLY need to upgrade.

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by eva2000 View Post
    one question could it be a mislabelling as the packaging stille says 128MB x 64 and not 256MB x 64
    128x64/8=1024 * 2 = 2048

Nothing wrong as far as i can see.
    Stealth Water

Quote Originally Posted by TheGanG View Post
    Yeah, x15 makes me happy...

Tyler Durden
    I have 4GB of Ballistix 8500 on their way to me from ClubIT, so hopefully I'll get the old batch.
    Formerly XIP, now just P.

I just bought some from ClubIT and they're the new ones. I think I'm going to return them but there's a 15&#37; return fee. I advise you to cancel.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast