Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: OC Report :: Crucial Ballistix 2x1GB PC3-12800 CL8

uncore challenged...

OC Report :: Crucial Ballistix 2x1GB PC3-12800 CL8

After a brief break from overclocking reports I have managed to find time to put together another overclocking assessment of some fine looking memory from the good folks at Crucial, AKA Micron, AKA The Business, AKA The Supplier, AKA...alright; you get the idea.

Since the early days of DDR2 memory, Micron has been the only game in town when memory manufacturers were looking for a fix of the good stuff. It started with 'fatties' and then escalated to the now famous D9GMH/GKX crazy of 06 that spilled into 07. Now that 07 is winding down, a new kid is on the block (DDR3), and guess who everyone has on speed dial?

Today we take that step into the future of memory with a look at the Micron 'in-house' offering from the Ballistix line of DDR3 memory from Crucial. Crucial is the retail outlet for the memory monster that is Micron. Anyone can attest that Crucial offers top notch service and we all know what the product performs like. Here are the specifications of their only DDR3 Ballistix modules right now, the PC3-12800 (800MHz / DDR3-1600).

To demonstrate what the above specifications show, here is how the modules show up in Windows with the timings left to Auto in the P5K3-Dlx BIOS and the system adjusted to 400*9 / 1:2 / 266 Strap = 800MHz (DDR3-1600).

Obviously the system doesn't set the stock 8-8-8-24 timings but this is because of the motherboard. There is an XMP profile for the default timings and voltage (X38/X48 chipset feature much like EPP or SLI memory on NVIDIA chipsets). In order to run this memory at the stock timings/frequency...
    A) you must be running at 400FSB
    B) you must set the timings manually

To ensure compatibility and that all modules delivered to your door meet the standards outlined above, Crucial currently tests each dual-channel kit on two motherboards. Here is a chart outlining the test beds pulled from the Crucial Ballistix web site:

As for availability of this memory, you can find it pretty much anywhere you can buy Crucial memory...except in Canada, it is listed but not available. Here are the places I was able to find the memory and the prices at time of posting:

Package:
    Click for full size...

Now what is wrong with these images? That's right, I too thought that I was getting multiple kits when this behemoth of a box showed up but alas, there was only a single kit inside...it's okay Sam, I won't hold it against you . I have seen some reviewers get this big box, and some get the normal sized two module box with this kit so I am not sure what the deal is but the big box certainly makes your heart race when you pull it out of the UPS bag. Aside from the size, nothing else has changed from the last dozen or so kits of Ballistix I have received from Crucial directly or purchased from on-line retailers.

The accordion cardboard stand inside holds the modules firmly in place and the anti-static sealed bag keeps the modules safe and cozy. There was also the standard memory handling and installation sheet accompanying the modules on their journey up north.

The Goods:
    Click for full size...

The hardware underneath the heatspreaders has changed drastically from the Ballistix DDR2 counterparts but the heatspreader has all but remained identical with a couple subtle adjustments. First off, the heatspreader is no longer inter-locked at the top therefore the clips at the top have disappeared. This will surely alleviate the issue some Ballistix kits saw with un-even heatspreader contact on the ICs from top to bottom. This un-evenness was a result of the heatspreaders being too tight at the top of the modules. The other adjustment is the inclusion of the small DDR3 under the X in Ballistix.

The ICs used on these modules are naturally going to be the good stuff and if you look closely you can make out the D9GTR under the Ballistix stamp. Only the best Micron for Micron modules after all. In case you have been living under a draw bridge with a troll for the last few months, you can find out more about Micron D9GTR at the Micron web site, here. As for the PCB, I cannot find any info aside from what is stamped on the edge in the image above (Levin 73101). Crucial has stuck with the Levin PCBs it appears for their first round of DDR3 Ballistix. Let's hope they are ready for the abuse that these modules are going to see.

All Hail the P5K3-Dlx:
    Click for full size...

This OC Report is a little bit more dis-organized than I am usually able to pull off so this memory had some testing done with just air cooling, while other timing sets were tested with the phase slapped on the P5K3-Dlx. You will also notice from the above photos that some clocks were done on the motherboards stock cooling while others were with aftermarket cooling on the north and south bridges. In addition to this, both an E6600 and E6850 were used for some clocks. Things have been crazy lately for me so I had to shelf my OCD for this report and get the clocks done when I had time regardless of what the setup was. Not all Dual 32M runs are fully optimized either. Again, time was a factor so I wasn't able to fully tighten secondaries like I would have liked.
    Code:
    Setup:
    MB:          Asus P5K3-Dlx Wifi (vMCH mod)
    CPU:         Intel C2D E6600 (L629B383) / Intel C2D E6850 (L724A479)
    CPU Cooling: Thermalright Ultra-120 / Chilly 1 SS
    GPU:         Biostar 8600GTS 512MB DDR3
    NB Cooling:  Stock / Noctua NC-U6
    SB Cooling:  Stock / Thermalright HR-05-SLI
    PWM Cooling: Stock / Naked
    PSU:         Silverstone Zeus 560W
    HD:          Seagate SATAII 80GB 8MB NCQ

Ambient Temperature: 22-23C

I don't have a particularly amazing P5K3-Dlx so I had to help it along to make sure I can maximize the memory I test. The vMCH mod has helped get the last little bits out of this kit and other DDR3 kits so keep that in mind when looking at results. P35 chipsets are almost like CPUs these days where some are great, others not so much. This has led to the X38/X48 binning that we are seeing in the next generation of Intel chipsets already. Great, now not only do we have to pilfer box after box of CPUs looking for a decent clocker with high FSB capabilities...we now get to test motherboard after motherboard to find one that clocks memory well. It's not like they cost enough as it is, let alone buying 6 only to sell 5 off at a loss. I digress...

Maximus Extreme is in the house!:
    Click for full size...

I originally posted this report with just P5K3-Dlx results but the Maximus Extreme has been added to the family and I have begun adding results from this setup as well. Here is a complete breakdown of components used, it is pretty much the same list as the P5K3-Dlx:
    Code:
    Setup:
    MB:          Asus Maximus Extreme
    CPU:         Intel C2D E6850 (L724A479)
    CPU Cooling: Thermalright Ultra-120
    GPU:         Biostar 8600GTS 512MB DDR3
    NB Cooling:  Stock
    SB Cooling:  Stock
    PWM Cooling: Stock
    PSU:         Silverstone Zeus 560W
    HD:          Seagate SATAII 80GB 8MB NCQ x 2

Ambient Temperature: 22-23C
    This motherboard is clearly more stable at higher memory frequencies, as we will see, but doesn't appear to be the better setup for high FSB sub-zero benching. I am still not sold on X38 a there appears to be plenty of issues with memory ratios and the performance in SPi seems to be about the same at a lot of the clocks I have tested.

P5K3-Dlx Dual 32M SPi Overclocking:
    As usual, a few notes before we see the numbers. The voltage listed in the open text file in each screenshot is measured with a DMM from a test lead point in-between the memory slots and grounded to a ground spot on the board. P5K3s are known to over-volt it appears and this particular board is usually .06v above what I set in the BIOS. You can also see what was set in the BIOS in the AISuite window that is open in all screenshots.

Second, I am only interested in dual 32M SPi stability for my overclocking reports. I have found dual 32M stable with tight secondaries usually means Prime / Windows HCI Memtest stable within a handful of MHz at the same voltage or with a small bump in voltage. Don't confuse dual 32M stable with 24/7 stable but it is reasonably close most of the time.

Lastly, yes, this is a review sample sent directly from Crucial but is simply a random sample that anyone would receive who ordered from their web site. Memory manufacturers know better than to send cherry picked sticks these days...we all know how that turns out in the forums. Enough chit-chat, on to the first part of the show:

(B) = BIOS selected voltage

6-6-5-X 1T:
    Intel P35:
    Click link for full size screenshot...
    710MHz :: 1.75v(B) | 732MHz :: 1.80v(B) | 752MHz :: 1.85v(B) | 764MHz :: 1.90v(B) | 782MHz :: 1.95v(B)

Yes I am going to be a pansy and not go over 2v with this kit just yet. There has been very few people with Ballistix DDR3 and I don't feel like being the guinnea pig that figures out what voltage is safe with these Levin PCBs. I have plenty of benching to get done on this kit before the die on me and lets be honest...they seem to be clocking quite well at 2v or less.

7-6-5-X 1T:
    Intel P35:
    808MHz :: 1.75v(B) | 838MHz :: 1.80v(B) | 866MHz :: 1.85v(B) | 880MHz :: 1.90v(B) | 900MHz :: 1.95v(B)

I have also done some clocking at 7-6-6-x and found that an extra 10MHz or so can be had in dual 32M stability by changing tRP to 6 from 5 at the same voltage. I have posted the 7-6-5-x results for now but will likely put the full range of 7-6-6-x dual 32M clocks in the relatively near future. Getting to 900MHz under 2v dual 32M stable puts this kit right up there with some of the better clocking kits I have seen. Of course everyone else just posts single 32M or 1M shots so it is hard to judge where this kit really stands.

8-7-6-X 1T:
    Intel P35:
    920MHz :: 1.75v(B) | 930MHz :: 1.80v(B) | 940MHz :: 1.85v(B) | 950MHz :: 1.90v(B) | 954MHz :: 1.95v(B)

Clearly the results above are the result of a motherboard running out of juice. Many P5K3-Dlx users can relate to what is going on above. As you can see, MCH voltage is jacked right up at almost 2v for most of the higher frequency dual 32M runs and getting past 950MHz is quite a battle. I am hoping to get a water loop up and running on the NB so perhaps that will help get a little more stability at the higher frequencies. For now though, anything over 950MHz is going to be relegated to single 32M or less.

Maximus Extreme Dual 32M SPi Overclocking:
    As we saw in the P5K3-Dlx results, the BIOS selected voltage was listed but noted that the motherboad over-volts by 0.06v. The Maximus Extreme also over-volts but it reports the correct actual voltage in Windows through Everest so every screen shot below has the correct voltage listed so I have simply listed the results with their actual voltage.

8-7-6-X 1T:
    Intel X38:
    944.1MHz :: 1.90v | 970MHz :: 1.95v | 990MHz :: 2.00v | 1014MHz :: 2.06v | 1032MHz :: 2.10v

Hahaha, what can I say, these sticks are absolutely incredible at 8-7-6 timings on this motherboard. Clearly the limiting factor on the P5K3-Dlx setup was the motherboard and once again, the motherboard seems to be the limit of these clocks here again. I am still working on getting a little more out of this beast but it looks like 1030MHz might be close to the max on the 266 or any strap for that matter strap.

Final Thoughts:
    So far this Ballistix kit is really holding its own. Once I grow 'a pair' I will creep over the 2v mark and put up some bigger numbers. I also hope to have some single 32M results posted along with a whole section dedicated to bandwidth but as we have seen, all of the screenshots above have the Everest bandwidth listed in them. Be sure to check the PerformanceLevel in Memset and the FSB of the motherboard as the bandwidth numbers are heavily dependant on those two things. There is quite a mish-mash of bandwidth results because of the sloppy organization on my part in the testing.

I hope this report, like all my previous reports, are found to be useful for those making purchasing decisions or those users looking to clock their own kits. Keep in mind, however, that this is simply a single sample and memory all clocks differently. I encourage you to hunt out results from other users and not to base a buying decision solely on my findings. Eva2000 from i4memroy.com has also played with a kit of these Ballistix so there is another great source of results.

Of course, feel free to ask any questions about the memory, the P5K3-Dlx, or comment on the report in this thread. Also watch for the more exciting results that I will be posting in the second post of this thread periodically as they happen. Thanks for your time and keep clocking
    Last edited by 3oh6; 07-09-2009 at 07:53 PM. Reason: added more results...
    i don't quote in my signature, but best WR ever...
    Quote Originally Posted by Jor3lBR View Post
    It holds the current WR for the least vcore required to run 4500Mhz stable (1.32vcore)
    i can't even make that shyt up ^^^

uncore challenged...
    This post will simply be for future accomplishments achieved with this memory. I will start off with a couple milestone single 32M SPi results that I have already attained with this impressive memory:

PB sub-13min 32M:
    3535.1MHz SPi 32M = 12m 59.266s

click for full size including memset...

PB sub-4GHz 32M + 13K Read Bandwidth in Everest:
    3999.99MHz SPi 32M = 11m 45.062s

4500MHz SPi 32M = 10m 36.000

4639MHz / DDR3-2062 SPi 32M = 10m 16.750

Did someone order 14K read bandwith in Everest? How about some stoopid tight latency?

Sub 10min - Sub 4850MHz 32M SPi:
    4846.8MHz SPi 32M = 9m 59.625s

PB 1M SPi:
    5047.2MHz / 934.7MHz SPi 1M = 9.94s

PB 32M SPi:
    4975.9MHz SPi 32M = 9m 44.734s

Last edited by 3oh6; 07-09-2009 at 07:54 PM.
    It holds the current WR for the least vcore required to run 4500Mhz stable (1.32vcore)

Xtreme Cruncher
    Where do they sell this ram?

uncore challenged...
    Quote Originally Posted by eToh View Post
    Where do they sell this ram?
    that info is already in there mate ...
    Quote Originally Posted by 3oh6 View Post
    As for availability of this memory, you can find it pretty much anywhere you can buy Crucial memory...except in Canada, it is listed but not available. Here are the places I was able to find the memory and the prices at time of posting:

uncore challenged...
    i had the chance to get the E6850 used in testing above under my Chilly1 SS and spent some time on 32M SPi pushing this kit of Ballistix. here are some of the results:

4500MHz SPi 32M = 10m 36.000

just warming up getting a feel for the CPU as it is the first time it was under cold. these 500FSB+ / PL6 / 1000MHz+ runs are very efficient and after this first run i had dreams of a sub 10 minute run.

4639MHz / DDR3-2062 SPi 32M = 10m 16.750

the sub-10 minute 32M wasn't meant to be as the the memory/mb ran out of juice at this point. it might have been the combination of PL6/1032MHz or the memory just simply ran out of gas. either way, at the time, it improved my previous personal best of 10min 17.530 which was done at a much higher CPU frequency on the Abit QuadGT. with a 10X multi, this setup would be a lethal combination for some great 32M times as it is very quick at these settings...1000MHz 7-7-6 memory would be fun too, anyone have some Corsair 1800C7DINs laying around i could borrow for a couple hours?

Did someone order 14K read bandwith in Everest? How about some stoopid tight latency?

before hitting up a lower memory ratio, i figured 14K read in Everest had to be broken

PB Overall 32M SPi:
    4768MHz SPi 32M = 10m 10.891

then it was on to highest CPU clocks. the P5K3 memory ratio/strap setup is a bit interesting and will require some further investigation. i ended up on the 200 strap and its 3:5 ratio that would allow me to run PL7 at 500FSB+. other straps/memory ratios wouldn't let me get below PL8. either way, i managed to squeeze out a few more MHz from the CPU and get within 10 seconds of the elusive sub-10min 32M run.

i really should have done some 1M / wPrime / 3d Benches but 32M is all i seem to care about these days. once i get that sub-10min monkey off my back i might be able to concentrate on other things

overall, the night went quite well as i learned a little about the P5K3-Dlx at the high performance end as well as what this memory can do. with this info, my next dry ice session should really be fun now that i know what this CPU/MB/Ballistix combo is capable of.
    Last edited by 3oh6; 11-07-2007 at 09:22 AM.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Very nice! We learn that D9GTR is... D9GTR, no matter whether it's Ballistix, Super Talent, CellShock or any other brand. Thankfully, it's great.

Great review. Thanks.

uncore challenged...
    sorry for the late reply guys...thanks! i also apologize for not being able to add any bandwidth scaling or other benchmarks yet with this kit. things are beyond hectic right now for me, but the good news is that there is certainly going to be more DDR3 reports soon enough...just have to find time to give them all a proper thrashing ...keep your eyes peeled.

uncore challenged...
    have you ever just wished that your crappy little single stage could hold just the slightest more load? today was that day for me after there was no dry ice to purchase...so close to sub 10min i can taste it:

PB Overall 32M:
    4803.7MHz SPi 32M = 10m 05.594s

approaching aphelion
    Very very very nice and clean review!!!
    Best Regards,
    Xavier

"I prefer to fly alone... when alone, I perform those little coups of audacity which amuse me..." Col. René Fonck (1894-1953), the Ace of Aces.

uncore challenged...
    thanks man...when before approves a memory review you can accept that you have done a good job

the secret "kung-foo chopstick dry ice cooling tweak" caught on film...

the fun never stops with DDR3. so far i have progressed with this kit from crazy sub 4GHz runs on air to phase change powered PB 32M times and finally the ultimate 65nm C2D goal for any 32M SPi bencher...sub 10min, and only on dry ice with an ALU pot:

Sub 10min - Sub 4850MHz 32M SPi:
    4846.8MHz SPi 32M = 9m 59.625s

this has been a hard fought goal of mine for some time with the cooling i have and without this Ballistix DDR3 kit, it would still be a pipe dream without access to LN2 and some CU. but the fun didn't end at sub 10min...this E6850 and the Ballistix decided they still had some fight in them:

PB 32M SPi:
    4975.9MHz SPi 32M = 9m 44.734s

the short 2 hour bench session ended with that last run and i honestly think there were a few more MHz to be had with this setup on that relatively simple cooling...i still can't believe how cool this chip runs allowing 32M with 1.824v vCORE.

before the 32M runs though, i did some warming up with 1M...not normally my thing but at these frequencies i knew sub 10 second was a possibility. again, 1M isn't really my game so the times may not be as impressive but a nice milestone none the less. and i just looked on HWBot and there is a whole group of 9.94 times and this one is the lowest frequency by almost 40MHz so it is still pretty efficient...wait until the 1M guys get their hands on good DDR3 setups though.

PB 1M SPi:
    5047.2MHz / 934.7MHz SPi 1M = 9.94s

the best 9.9X 1M time i could manage was 5018.7 MHz so it wasn't worth posting the screenshot. i will save that for when i get sub 10sec at sub 5000MHz

next up...an F1 and LN2 if i have to hijack an Air Liquide truck myself
    Last edited by 3oh6; 11-22-2007 at 11:39 PM.

Admin
    Shocking efficiency! Imagine if you were at CAS 6.

uncore challenged...
    Quote Originally Posted by Gautam View Post
    Imagine if you were at CAS 6.
    exactly...that kit of Hicookies in this setup would be just stoopid efficient...

http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/...d.php?t=166564

i am foaming at the mouth just thinking about it.

wow very nice testing rig you got there.very nice review. i can't wait for DDR4 with a max out 2GHZ memory interface but that will be end of summer 2008.
    wondering what the quard core CPU would be like on DDR3 system

Xtreme Cruncher
    very nice report 30h6
    Nikon User
    Nikon D200 (Gone =( )/D300
    Nikkor 18-105mm(Gone) // Nikkor 50mm 1.8 // Nikkor 55-200VR(Gone)
    Tokina 12-24 // Tamron 90mm //
    Manfrotto & Benro Legs // Benro Ballhead.

Current Lust = 80-200 Or 70-200VR1 <--Pending

No more computer parts for me... Well for now until I
    really REALLY need to upgrade.

Xtreme X.I.P.
    yepp, top quality man
    what vdimm were your last results with?

uncore challenged...
    thanks guys...hopefully i will find some time in the coming weeks to do some further testing with different SPD profiles from other DIMMs on these Ballistix...hoping to improve the 7-6-5 clocking.

Quote Originally Posted by saaya View Post
    what vdimm were your last results with?
    don't quote me on this but i believe i simply set 2.20v in the BIOS to rule out memory for the last 32M and 1M runs.

before the dry ice session, i only tested the memory up to 897MHz as my only goal for the session was the sub-10min 32M and that is what i calculated i would need to make it happen. that run was done with 1.95v set in the BIOS so somewhere around 2.01v~2.03v real.

the 9m 44sec run was simply bonus as was the sub-10sec 1M. for those runs, i set 2.20v in the BIOS to rule memory out and went from there so they likely could have done it with a bit less but i didn't have time to find out.

Xtreme X.I.P.
    if you have time give it a try again, some sticks clock slightly better below 2.2v with 765

afaik all boards still ignore the spd of ddr3 sticks, at least when you set manual primary timings. but give it a try, would be interesting if things changed

uncore challenged...
    afaik all boards still ignore the spd of ddr3 sticks, at least when you set manual primary timings. but give it a try, would be interesting if things changed
    i have been really busy with other kits of memory that don't seem to want to even run stock frequenices/timings at the rated voltage (never ran into so much poor binning as i have with DDR3) but from some real quick and dirty testing with the Ballistix, i haven't had much success getting anything else out of them at 7-6-5 with different SPDs so your information is looking to still be currently correct.

now, if companies can just stop binning DDR3 higher than it is capable of, i can quit wasting time and get back to actually clocking. so far only 2 out of 5 kits i have received of PC3-12800+ have no problems running rated timings/frequenices...thumbs up to OCZ and Crucial thus far. i guess the OCZ PC3-12800 EBs are next on the block for an OC Report

Xtreme X.I.P.
    hmmmm well see, there is a rather high yield with micron ddr3, no doubt, the problem is many mfgs see that as a reason not to bin at all.
    they try to save costs by just selling all sticks as 1800 or 1866 without ever testing them and rmaing the few ones that fail than putting up the effort of properly binning them.

and another reason is binnind ddr3 isnt the same as binning ddr2, so some that bin dont do it right which results memory not running at rated speeds

uncore challenged...
    and another reason is binnind ddr3 isnt the same as binning ddr2, so some that bin dont do it right which results memory not running at rated speeds
    yeah, i am thinking a couple companies for sure need to adjust their binning process for DDR3. after finding out what the binning process was i can fully understand why i have a few kits here not able to run spec without extra voltage.

i feel sorry for the guys spending as much as DDR3 costs and getting sticks that barely pass spec

Xtreme X.I.P.
    Quote Originally Posted by 3oh6 View Post
    yeah, i am thinking a couple companies for sure need to adjust their binning process for DDR3. after finding out what the binning process was i can fully understand why i have a few kits here not able to run spec without extra voltage.

i feel sorry for the guys spending as much as DDR3 costs and getting sticks that barely pass spec
    well as long as the mfg provides good service and replaces the memory swiftly and without problems its not that bad i guess. but yeah it sure sucks and i was a bit surprised you decided not to name anybody to eventually warn members from getting into the same situation.

ODOC
    Really good review there, aswell as the sticks.

Keep pushing it.

uncore challenged...
    i was a bit surprised you decided not to name anybody to eventually warn members from getting into the same situation.
    haha, sorry...i may complain but i won't let the forums sensationalize something like this by lighting the torches and starting the fires before all the facts are out there. it may in fact be isolated and based on my luck with getting bad clocking memory samples, it likely is

i am working on getting to the bottom of it though and if there is something of actual substance to report, and not just speculation based on a couple isolated incidents or my assumptions, i certainly will.

uncore challenged...
    alright, so i finally have some time to do a little clocking on the Maximus Extreme with this kit. i won't say it will be as extensive as on the P5K3-Dlx as more kits are showing up this week and i still have some testing to do with the Dominator kit on this motherboard but i will get what i can done. first order of business is to confirm the 950MHz dual 32M stability being the P5K3-Dlxs fault...i think we can do that

8-7-6-X 1T:
    Intel X38:
    1000MHz :: 2.00v(B)

still working on getting the best timings and the read bandwidth seems to be rather low but copy is nice along with latency. not sure what is going on there. at 2.00v though, this kit looks to clock better at 8-7-6 than the Dominators...didn't see that coming.

one comment though, the Maximus Extreme is very delicate with timings. i spent a lot of time just getting this run completed adjusting timing combinations...so if your having memory problems on this board, don't give up.

photos and more results will come with a bulk update later on this week.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast