Thread: Earthing a Compressor - Earth leakage issues??

-100C Club Member

Earthing a Compressor - Earth leakage issues??

I have been trying to get this New compressor 3/4HP horizontal Rotary Low temp rotary going. I have been having issues with Earth leakage though.
    Ie if i dont ground the compressor it will run, but touch the compressor, or copper tubbing you get a nice little zap. Then when i plug in my grounded load tester the hole mains trips.
    If i ground the compressor the unit trips as soon as its plugged in.
    I took a voltage meter and there seems to be 190V AC between earth wire coming from the mains lead and the compressor very dangerous.

So my question is what causes this and how can i fix it guys.
    I have cascades to build and looking at ordering more of these compressors, but want to get this one going first.

Xtreme Addict
    Sounds like a short in the compressor's wiring, but I don't know how to fix it. The entire casing is of the compressor has current running to it? If you ground it, all the electricity that would be used to run the comp dissipates, so you have to fix the short before trying anything else. Probably just an isolated issue, and wouldn't be encountered if you ordered others.

My Custom Pressure/Temperature Charts for Various Refrigerants

QX6700 @ 3900 | EVGA 680i |2 GB Corsair 8500 Dominator | 7800 GT SLi | Silverstone 1KW | Seagate 7200.9 Barracuda RAID 0 + Hitachi Deskstar 2TB RAID 0 | SS Phase w/ Cryostar Evap | MIPS Full Motherboard cooling
    My Fake Quad Core is better than your real Quad Core! **cough**Barcelona**cough**

Lian Li Cube Case with Phase and Water DONE!!

-100c Club Member
    Check compressor contacts (all 3 of them) with meter to ground (or shell of compressor) on resistance. It should read infinite. If you have megometer better yet.
    If there is any resistance you read, need to toss compressor away. Winding is in problem and there is nothing you can do about it.
    Good luck pal.
    [SIGPIC]http://www.vapoli.com/Images/Forum/vapoli.jpg[/SIGPIC]

Single Stage Work Logs

Quote Originally Posted by killermiller View Post
    Those ccb's will die if you look at them wrong.

heatware: jinu117

-100C Club Member
    thanxs for that guys, ill check terminals to compressor tonight.

this is what i measured last night between terminals

Xtreme Addict
    You need an insulation resistance tester. Sounds like the compressor is faulty.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Double check to make sure it's not just a pinched wire or something simple like that.

Quote Originally Posted by A HVAC friend of mine
    If Hannah was an air handler, I would be a condensing unit so I could open her TXV and pump my refrigerant through her evaporator coils.

-100C Club Member
    i checked the compressor terminals to the compressor and they all read higher thatn 20M ohms so it seems that the compressor windings are ok??
    now im really confused, have to check their wiring inside the box next.

Quote Originally Posted by star882 View Post
    Double check to make sure it's not just a pinched wire or something simple like that.
    how do you mean pinched wire?

-100c Club Member
    20M ohm isn't that great of indication but better than finding some resistance after all (Hence the need for megometer or insulation tester as mentioned)
    For time being, let's assume that isn't the source of leakage and time to look for any circuit that has some resistance with parts you touched (ground)

Single Stage Work Logs

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Disconnect everything from the compressor and connect only one terminal of the compressor to hot through a night light bulb. Connect the case to ground.

Quote Originally Posted by A HVAC friend of mine
    If Hannah was an air handler, I would be a condensing unit so I could open her TXV and pump my refrigerant through her evaporator coils.

Xtreme Addict
    It doesn't matter what the other readings are. If there is any current going from the windings to the shell casing of the compressor, there is a short and unless this issue is addressed, the compressor should not be used. Have you checked this yet? If there is INF ohm resistance then continue on, and sorry for the intrusion. :P

My Custom Pressure/Temperature Charts for Various Refrigerants

QX6700 @ 3900 | EVGA 680i |2 GB Corsair 8500 Dominator | 7800 GT SLi | Silverstone 1KW | Seagate 7200.9 Barracuda RAID 0 + Hitachi Deskstar 2TB RAID 0 | SS Phase w/ Cryostar Evap | MIPS Full Motherboard cooling
    My Fake Quad Core is better than your real Quad Core! **cough**Barcelona**cough**

Lian Li Cube Case with Phase and Water DONE!!

Xtreme Mentor
    you know I read this, and started thinking why dont you have a electrical/wiring book there? Ground fualt testing is the easist thing in the world! As is testing for a shorted compressor!

Come on guys if you are playing with this stuff learn A/C wiring and testing!
    Bring back natural selection! No more warning lables!

The one and Only MG Pony

-100C Club Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Xeon th MG Pony View Post
    you know I read this, and started thinking why dont you have a electrical/wiring book there? Ground fualt testing is the easist thing in the world! As is testing for a shorted compressor!

Come on guys if you are playing with this stuff learn A/C wiring and testing!
    true.

Turns out the china man wired this unit weird.
    ya would think that the green yellow wires with connects like below are ment to connect to ground.
    Well they also linked them to the caps
    So didnt connect one of the ground and it works fine now
    thanxs all for help

Xtreme Addict
    I'm not convinced you have wired it correctly. What is the model number for the compressor?

-100C Club Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SexyMF View Post
    I'm not convinced you have wired it correctly. What is the model number for the compressor?
    It came wired, all i had to do was connect AC and ground leads.
    THis is a wiring digram of how it came wired.
    Ill scan their drawing monday and load it.
    Also the compressor and model number

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by kayl View Post
    ya would think that the green yellow wires with connects like below are ment to connect to ground.

Not necessarily.
    You cannot assume any particular colour wire inside an electrical appliance to be what is should be according to our electrical regulations.
    Yellow use to be common use for three phase wiring here, it has now been replaced by white. I can't see any green on those wires. Looking at them i would assume they're live.
    Even a green or yellow/green wire can not be assumed an earth inside an appliance.especially if it has come from china/taiwan etc.
    The other end of the ring terminals you are holding in that photo, where were they connected? To the compressor casing? That would be a short circuit to ground.
    Keen to see that manufacture wiring diagram.

This is a good example where they have used a green wire for a live conductor.
    When you have fixed it, make sure you test your grounding resistance with an Ohm meter.
    Quote Originally Posted by kayl View Post
    the ethylene in NZ is colder
    Quote Originally Posted by DetroitAC View Post
    When in doubt about an unknown substance, I taste it just in case it's pie.
    Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    Would you be willing to piss over the mona lisa?

-100C Club Member
    I have been in contact and they have given me a English pdf for the compressor. Turns out those yellow wires are for the pressure switch not the earth.
    Heres the wiring digram for the Lanlai Compressor HQHD series.

-100c Club Member
    Yeah... yellow sometimes do get used for controls red and green too ehehe.

Single Stage Work Logs