Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345

Thread: n00b WITH 5,000$!!!!

Xtreme Member
    Funny thing is I wouldn't call myself a true expert also, I never built any rig with custom parts since my parents won't let me. All I do is checking parts daily for friends, family or ppl on forums so I know a thing or 2 but nothing in real-life.
    But you can trust all those parts are quality & top-notch besides my 0 buildexperience .
    Funny to see you phelan with your tricked out Stacker saying you're not an expert in hardware LOL.

But until StKarnivor has criticism on my setup we'll just have to wait..
    Quote Originally Posted by Manicdan View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by informal View Post
    It was shown alright.Charlie was right .
    hes only have as bad as a broken clock, whos right 2x a day.

Sorry for the delay in posting... I was in NY at my brothers

Im putting a lot of thought into my next parts list and it should be posted in a couple days - Ive been a little busy with work as well.
    ================================================
    WARNING: THE VIEWS EXPRESSED HERE ARE NOT NECESSARILY THOSE OF MY WIFE.

Xtreme Addict
    quick reply here

dump the quad u plan to go with, and just buy a q6600 for 300 bucks, you can do 3ghz easy.

i would personally just buy one 8800 GTS for now..the 8900's are around the corner
    ~

Xtreme Guru
    idk if this was mentioned or not, but whatever config you'll end up with.. i highly recommend/suggest a true hard raid card like the areca arc1210 or arc1231+2GB cache

as for sli/crossfire, i would ditch it, not worth it, my opinion, 8800ultra/2900xt 1GB will treat you right, have a look at my handle/avatar.. thats coming from a hardcore slier from long ago..

as for monitor, u got 2 options: 2560x1600 monitor or 1080p hdtv, preferably the 120hz hdtv, believe it or not im gonna invest in another 1080p (120hz this time) hdtv over 2560x1600 monitor.. monitors are total crap vs hdtvs - i have a samsung 1920x1200 24"

as for sound, auzen x-meridian/prelude

as for motherboard, theres no great mobo to recommend on this planet unfortunately, i definitely recommend the next solar system

Xtreme Member
    To St. Karnivor who put off the receive PM-function lol. I was out of town yesterday so my response is on the late side:

Both options are pretty solid. The waterblock on the BFG might not be as efficient as the Stealth, but the eVGA (and I don't know about BFG) tests Ultra's in their labs for golden chips to be put on their watercooled versions (Black Pearl) as seen here, this is mostly why it costs more than just a Ultra+waterblock. And from what I've heard it doesn't bring the gain in performance & overclockability expected. And also it's known that the Ultra doesn't add up to the hype of crushing the GTX, it's still a upclocked GTX (note it has higher memory bandwith & new core revision so it IS NOT a total marketing gimmick) and nVidia dubbed a 200 extra pricetag on it in the beginning.

You're really better off with the normal GTX + Stealth as the price is a lot lower, for maybe a minor performancedifference if properly overclocked.
    BUT looking at Newegg it tells me you can get a Ultra for 585 after rebate and the cheapest GTX is 580 :O. So I say go for that $585 Ultra + Stealth waterblock.

Stealth review:
    http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/...d.php?t=152929

@ NapalmV5

Good idea I was in a local electronicsstore a few days ago and noticed Sony HDTV's are unbeatable, Samsung eats dust. A 1080P Sony HD-Ready (leave the Full HD-cert most of those are too big and too expensive). A good Bravia woww now that's some quality, but a bit out of range for this guy
    Last edited by dieqast; 08-12-2007 at 03:11 AM.

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by StKarnivor View Post
    Sorry for the delay in posting... I was in NY at my brothers

Im putting a lot of thought into my next parts list and it should be posted in a couple days - Ive been a little busy with work as well.
    I don't know how much I can stress opting for the Q6600 G0 over the QX6800. The Q6600 is only $300 so you will be saving around $700. Ask if your skeptical. But I assure you it is the much better buy.

I would also tell you to stay away from water cooling until you build your syste and you feel comfortable with it. It will also give you time to outline how you will build the loop, placement of radiators, etc. But for now I recommend you get this system going first before you have to worry about leaks.

As for the hard drives, I would recommend having a fast drive for your operating system such as 150Gb raptor (nothing higher such as scsi) and a couple of 400gb-750gb(depending on your needs) in raid 1. You will thank yourself one day when you logon and a pop up on the taskbar says that one of your raid 1 drives has failed and needs to be replaced. This is the payoff point

I would also recommend dropping the corsair 2x1gb and opt for 2x2gb if you haven't done so already.

That's just my $200,000.00 (since .02 is cheep )

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Alik4041 View Post
    (since .02 is cheep )
    Well that's not that cheap, but a guy said .02 cents some time ago in the thread. That was just too funny :P

Nice recommends there, though some are questionable and something to back that all up is always nice. Like bout the QX6800, I can build another rig with a Q6600 for the money!

Xtreme Member
    Simple enough here...

Proc - Q6600 G0 revision - $300: No sense spending $1000 more for an unlocked multi and a few hundred mhz.

MB - Abit IP35 Pro - $190: One of the best currently available, and not too expensive.

Ram - Team Xtreem 2GB DDR2 PC2 9600 - $270: 4gb if running x64 OS. Best ram out there and wont make you wish for DDR3 for quite a while.

Video - EVGA 8800GTX - $530: If you go with a 30" monitor go SLI, otherwise the results don't justify the expense. This will easily fit your needs for now.

Sound - AuzenTech XPlosion - $80: Good sound card and has digital coax out if you want to run a home theater speakers over comp speakers.

Primary HDDs - 2x WD Raptor 150gb - $400 (2 in RAID 0): May as well have your OS and games on the fastest drives worth buying.

Secondary HDDs - 3x - 4x Western Digital 500gb - $330 (3) - $440 (4): Run in either RAID 5 or RAID 10. May as well have plenty of redundant storage. I'd personally go RAID 10, but 5 is better than nothing.

PSU - Silverstone SST 750w - $160: Very stable and efficient PSU, not much more to say.

Case - Lian-Li PC-343B - $350: Excellent case with plenty of room for everything you would need.
    Or - Mountain Mods ~ $350: Same as Lian-Li. Plenty of room for whatever you want. Only difference is they are designed for the PA series radiators from Thermochill.

DVD/Floppy/Whatever else - Your choice, not too huge of a difference here.

------------COOLING-----------------

Radiator 1 - Thermochill PA 120.3 ~ $135: Best radiator available, hands down. Only problem with them is availability in the states.

Radiator 2 - Thermochill PA 120.2 ~ $120: Same as above just a little smaller. Same problem finding one.

Pumps - 18w DDC w/ Petra's top - $200: Can't argue w/ the best.

CPU Block - D-Tek FuZion - $65: Best out of the box performance for a quad. Only thing that compares is a bowed Apogee GT/GTX.

GPU Block - MCW60 w/ Ramsinks - $60: Best GPU block.

Reservoir - 2x EK Rev.2 Multi Option - $80: Great res, mount any way you can think.
    Or - 2x Swiftech Micro Res - $40: Another great res, just not as versatile as the EK.

Chipset & MOSFET - Pick the EK ones - $150: All that matters here is flow.

Total - $3420 - $4330

DUDE, DONT UPGRADE NOW!!! Stay with whatever you have at the moment, the new GPUS+CPUS are coming around soon.

I upgraded 3 months ago and I am regretting it.

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by Alik4041 View Post
    I don't know how much I can stress opting for the Q6600 G0 over the QX6800. The Q6600 is only $300 so you will be saving around $700. Ask if your skeptical. But I assure you it is the much better buy.

I would also tell you to stay away from water cooling until you build your syste and you feel comfortable with it. It will also give you time to outline how you will build the loop, placement of radiators, etc. But for now I recommend you get this system going first before you have to worry about leaks.

As for the hard drives, I would recommend having a fast drive for your operating system such as 150Gb raptor (nothing higher such as scsi) and a couple of 400gb-750gb(depending on your needs) in raid 1. You will thank yourself one day when you logon and a pop up on the taskbar says that one of your raid 1 drives has failed and needs to be replaced. This is the payoff point

I would also recommend dropping the corsair 2x1gb and opt for 2x2gb if you haven't done so already.

That's just my $200,000.00 (since .02 is cheep )
    +1

get a good aircooler honestly, water will only net you maybe an extra 300mhz ,not to mention you would want to cool your video cards aswell if your gonna go through the trouble. chipset i would leave to a good fan, or just run a seperate loop with a small output pump alone. its not really worth it, when a decent aircooler, good case flow without much noise, and good ambient temps can net you nearly the same overclocks and still keep parts well within spec temps. U might aswell blow a few hundred more and buy a premade phase setup or have one send you one out pre fabbed off here..thats my plan next.

Water is kinda of a pain honestly, stay with air man for now.

otherwise have fun and try not to spend more then 2500!
    ~

Xtreme Member
    Ok I'll be the fly in the ointment. Your moving up from a 1999 Dell to building a $2500 OC'd and WC'd rig. Is it just me or does this look like a $2500 train wreck ready to happen. It takes a bit of homework to sort out a new pc and while I agree with most of the suggestions posted by others the OP is still the one who will have to troubleshoot things as he puts this rig together. It took me 3-4 months of digging and scouring the forums to get back up to speed (I'm one of those who builds a pc then runs the heck out of it rather than constantly tweek and upgrade). So I knew before I dove in exactly what I had to do and buy before I ever got my parts together. And even then I got a bad mobo and psu that I had to RMA but I have to figure that out. Also the OP might not have access to parts to troubleshoot like me. I couldn't use anything out of my old DDR system to help as a testing platform. It makes it hard (sometimes impossible) to pin point problems. On top of all of that the OP is going to WC for some nice OC'ing. WC isn't hard but its just one more stumbling block to complicate things.

Its just my opinion but I'd hold off on the WC parts and just try to get your new pc together. Then later on add WC if you really feel you need it. Honestly if your old PC was from 1999 then you don't seem like the sort who would want the extra maintenance of WC'ing.

And its just my 2 cents that its smarter money to buy "best value" components rather than "latest and greatest" because there is always something new just around the corner. Just by reading others comments in this thread that is very obvious. Don't blow your 5 grand right away. Build a solid, fast rig and upgrade down the road. Its better money spent. GL with your build!
    i5 2500k Sandy Bridge 3.3ghz
    Cooler Masters Hyper 212 Evo, AS5
    Asrock Z68 Extreme4 Gen3 Lga1155
    GSkill 8g (2 x 4gb) Ripjaws DDR3 1600 CL9
    MSI GTX560
    Hauppauge WinTV-HVR-2250
    WD Black Caviar 1tb
    Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 PPD 320GB Sata II
    PCP&C S75QB 750W
    Thermaltake Armor VA8003BWS 25CM Fan
    Vista Home Premium SP1 64-bit SB

I am Xtreme
    Quote Originally Posted by Kumakichi View Post
    Ok I'll be the fly in the ointment. Your moving up from a 1999 Dell to building a $2500 OC'd and WC'd rig. Is it just me or does this look like a $2500 train wreck ready to happen. It takes a bit of homework to sort out a new pc and while I agree with most of the suggestions posted by others the OP is still the one who will have to troubleshoot things as he puts this rig together. It took me 3-4 months of digging and scouring the forums to get back up to speed (I'm one of those who builds a pc then runs the heck out of it rather than constantly tweek and upgrade). So I knew before I dove in exactly what I had to do and buy before I ever got my parts together. And even then I got a bad mobo and psu that I had to RMA but I have to figure that out. Also the OP might not have access to parts to troubleshoot like me. I couldn't use anything out of my old DDR system to help as a testing platform. It makes it hard (sometimes impossible) to pin point problems. On top of all of that the OP is going to WC for some nice OC'ing. WC isn't hard but its just one more stumbling block to complicate things.

Its just my opinion but I'd hold off on the WC parts and just try to get your new pc together. Then later on add WC if you really feel you need it. Honestly if your old PC was from 1999 then you don't seem like the sort who would want the extra maintenance of WC'ing.

And its just my 2 cents that its smarter money to buy "best value" components rather than "latest and greatest" because there is always something new just around the corner. Just by reading others comments in this thread that is very obvious. Don't blow your 5 grand right away. Build a solid, fast rig and upgrade down the road. Its better money spent. GL with your build!

Which is why I kept stating that the op should do his home work, which in part he is doing with this thread. That and trying to not get him to spend all his cash up front.

It has been and still is a learning curve, granted I have my system built for the most part and will be working on a second, but much that I have learned from the first I will apply to the second and so on.
    fermiNow Dave will see FERMI where ever I go
    Quote Originally Posted by jbartlett323 View Post
    So please return to the "Darkside of the Moon" and check your "Pulse" while you wait for the "Animals" that will be "Obscured By Clouds". And watch me wave as I say "Wish You Were Here" in "A Momentary Lapse of Reason"

Xtreme Addict
    Yorkfield/G92 anyone?
    |-------Conner-------|

RIP JimmyMoonDog

2,147,222 F@H Points - My F@H Statistics:
    http://fah-web.stanford.edu/cgi-bin/...e=Conman%5F530

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by phelan1777 View Post
    Which is why I kept stating that the op should do his home work, which in part he is doing with this thread. That and trying to not get him to spend all his cash up front.

It has been and still is a learning curve, granted I have my system built for the most part and will be working on a second, but much that I have learned from the first I will apply to the second and so on.

Yea I saw you trying to tell OP to save his cash which is good advice. In my mind there is a way to buy smart. Thats all I was trying to get across. OP has plenty of funds to build a new pc. I just hate to see people toss there money away (because I've been there and done that).

And doing your homework is great advice. Before I even got my new mobo, ram, cpu and vid card I had already scoured thru tons of threads regarding trouble shooting. I had a pretty clear idea how I needed to setup the bios. I knew how to initially start up my pc so I could boost the ram voltage (default was much lower than my ram's spec).

I guess the point I'm trying to make is be prepared and know what your getting yourself into. I ran into some freaky snags building my system (about 8 months ago) that really threw me for a loop. And I've been building my own pc's since the early 90's.
    i5 2500k Sandy Bridge 3.3ghz
    Cooler Masters Hyper 212 Evo, AS5
    Asrock Z68 Extreme4 Gen3 Lga1155
    GSkill 8g (2 x 4gb) Ripjaws DDR3 1600 CL9
    MSI GTX560
    Hauppauge WinTV-HVR-2250
    WD Black Caviar 1tb
    Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 PPD 320GB Sata II
    PCP&C S75QB 750W
    Thermaltake Armor VA8003BWS 25CM Fan
    Vista Home Premium SP1 64-bit SB

Xtreme Addict
    Yea I saw you trying to tell OP to save his cash which is good advice. In my mind there is a way to buy smart. Thats all I was trying to get across. OP has plenty of funds to build a new pc. I just hate to see people toss there money away (because I've been there and done that).

And doing your homework is great advice. Before I even got my new mobo, ram, cpu and vid card I had already scoured thru tons of threads regarding trouble shooting. I had a pretty clear idea how I needed to setup the bios. I knew how to initially start up my pc so I could boost the ram voltage (default was much lower than my ram's spec).

I guess the point I'm trying to make is be prepared and know what your getting yourself into. I ran into some freaky snags building my system (about 8 months ago) that really threw me for a loop. And I've been building my own pc's since the early 90's.
    Holy crap, I was born and wore diapers in the early 1990s, .
    |-------Conner-------|

RIP JimmyMoonDog

2,147,222 F@H Points - My F@H Statistics:
    http://fah-web.stanford.edu/cgi-bin/...e=Conman%5F530

Xtreme Enthusiast

On this. I built my first computer on a 600 dollar budget. Cut a bunch of stuff. 512mb ram cut from the build, graphics budget cut, CPU budget cut, case budget cut, 3rd party power supply (aside from the one that came with the case>< ) cut out of the initial build too. Start with a decent system and once you really get a grasp for it all, start upgrading. I started with this:

P4 630
    1x 512mb GeIL DDR2 533
    Asus P5LD2
    MSI X800 128mb
    160Gb SATA hdd
    420W Aspire PSU (this thing is feather light. I could play catch with it and hold it with 2 fingers)

Taught me a lot about overclocking//tweaking and computers in general. There's only so much you can learn from reading.

I'd recommend this for starting:

Abit IP-35 Pro - 180
    Q6600 G0 (if you can, I've seen B3's do the same as G0's) - 300 (got a friend at intel?)
    4 x 1 Gb Crucial Ballistix//Team Xtreem DDR2 667//800//1066 (whatever option is cheaper) - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16820146565 - 110 x 2
    1 x 8800 Ultra - 580
    2 x 320Gb SATA2 Hdd - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16822136109 70 x 2
    1 x Lite-on 20x DVD-R drive - 40
    Kingwin 600W PSU http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16817121002 - 100
    Cooler Master GeminII - 40
    Rosewill Case fans (120mm) - 4 x 2
    Choose a computer case that you like - 100

- 1408 + s&h

I'd say, start there. Once you really get the hang of things, slowly start upgrading that system. Your graphics are set, your motherboard will be ready for penryn so you can move off that CPU. the 320Gb hdd's are fine, maybe consider raptors later (you still have 3600 dollars you can save up for later upgrades). HSF is a good air cooling solution (if you want, move to water cooling later on once you get used to all the errors and stuff you'll get ). Power supply should be sufficient and you've got enough DDR2 for you to run almost anything right now.

Now, why would I be suggesting a system that's 3600 dollars under budget? Because lots of stuff go wrong, and since it's your first build, stuff gets scratched, connections severed, connectors get broken, better have cheaper parts go than some 300-600 dollar part die and not having the budget to replace it (sucks to wait for RMA's); and you won't feel as bad if something happened to parts of your computer. I've RMA'd almost every part of my computer except the CD drive, case, and CPU. Trust me, stuff goes wrong, even for no reason at all (had 2 hard drives die after leaving my system off for the weekend).
    Last edited by StealthyFish; 08-16-2007 at 10:24 AM.
    -----------------Main Setup-----------------
    Processor: Intel C2D E4600ES @ 3.4 Ghz
    Motherboard: Abit AW9D-Max
    Heatsink: Cooler Master GeminII HSF
    Graphics Card: eVGA 6800GS 515//1320 (hacked SLI)
    RAM: 2x 1Gb GeIL Ultra UDCA= DDR2 800Mhz cas 4
    RAM: 2x 1Gb Crucial Tenth Anniversary DDR2 667Mhz cas 3
    Hard Drive (Primary): 1 x 200Gb Seagate EIDE
    Hard Drive (Secondary): 1 x Seagate 160GB SATA
    Hard Drive (Secondary): 1 x Seagate 300Gb SATAII
    DVD-RW Drive: 1 x Lite-on CD-RW/DVD-RW
    Power Supply: Antec Basiq 500W

Xtreme Mentor
    I stick by my recommendation.
    "To exist in this vast universe for a speck of time is the great gift of life. Our tiny sliver of time is our gift of life. It is our only life. The universe will go on, indifferent to our brief existence, but while we are here we touch not just part of that vastness, but also the lives around us. Life is the gift each of us has been given. Each life is our own and no one else's. It is precious beyond all counting. It is the greatest value we have. Cherish it for what it truly is."

Very nice thread StKarnivor, it saved me alot of $. I'm pretty much in the same shoes as you but with close to a 10K budget... though now, I know better and to stash some of the $ for future upgrades

I agree with the some of the peeps here to ditch the WC and keep it simple with good air cooling setup.

Also, perhaps you might want to invest in an ergonomically functional computer chair with some of the money you saved. It's something that a lot of people don't pay attention to. They just grab a chair from the kitchen table or just go out to office supply store and grab the first thing that looks cool... that's not a cool thing to do.

You spend all this money on hardware, the latest video cards, great monitor or HDTV etc but if you don't take care of your butt/back, it won't be taking care of you :P. Think about what kind of chair you're sitting in. Don't just buy something that looks good or that is cheap, that being said I recommend spending a good chunk of change on the chair.
    Check out these different types of contemporary office chairs that are popular among consumers:

Bodybilt
    Grahl by synchron 5,7 or 8 (though it's no longer made and not in the open market but they do make similar chairs availible)
    Freedom by Humanscale
    Leap by Steelcase
    Aeron by Herman Miller
    Mirra by Herman Miller

Though I wouldn't recommand Herman Miller by the mixed reviews of people that have them. Personally I'm going for Bodybilt (starts $800-$2000, model J or K 3507 = a little over 1K depending on the materials you choose - also the model depends on your weight and height, you can pretty much customize it to fit you like a glove). Instead of buying six or eight crappy chairs over the course of say 8 years, buy one really great chair that will last the full eight years and will probably last quite a few years longer.

Most people that forget about when they buy a chair is that it locks forward. You're actually sitting at a forward slant, legs and butt at a forward slant so you're at a very good posture. When you unlock the forward slant then you're sitting like a lot people do, bucket style or straight style with your upper body and neck hunched forward. That's not as good for your back, neck, shoulders... everything involved.

Of coarse you need your keyboard at a very comfortable height, not too high, not too low. You don't want you're monitor/HDTV too high up, keep your monitor/HDTV where you're eyes will be looking at the screen slightly downward as much as possible or the top of the monitor/HDTV at eye level.

This is all very important, I know I'm talking about the chair but EVERYTHING plays into it when we talk about ergonomics. I know you can't have everything perfect but do the best you can, every little peice counts.

The chair though like I said it should have free range of motion, which is good for a chair, I like rocking lol. But when I'm serious in starting to work very hard and very intently (mostly gaming lol) I lock it in a forward position because I know I'm going to be there for awhile. The last thing I want to do is sit like what a lot of people sit in the bucket or flat style while my upper body hunching over; if you sit like this for the most part, guess what happens when you stand up? You're walking like this and you don't want to be known a as the Hunchback of Notre Dame... not what I want to be known for lol

Not my pic, just grabbed off search :P

The second thing is excellent lumbar support at the bottom and contours all the way up the back. This make for very comfortable seating arrangement no matter how you're sitting. Third thing is movable neck rest/head rest. You won't really use it a lot as you think, though when you do lean back of coarse your neck/head rest upon it. But it also helps when you're in the forward slant/position and lock it down, it keeps your neck in line with your back and sitting in a very ergonomically comfortable position and this is all very very important. Also get up several times in an hour and if you don't remind yourself "hey get up and move around" that is also very important when it comes to ergonomics... but it all ties back to the chair. If you don't take care of your body that will come back and bite you in the ass, literally and or figuratively. Take care of your body, it's the only thing you've got.

EDIT-

Quote Originally Posted by NapalmV5 View Post
    idk if this was mentioned or not, but whatever config you'll end up with.. i highly recommend/suggest a true hard raid card like the areca arc1210 or arc1231+2GB cache

as for sli/crossfire, i would ditch it, not worth it, my opinion, 8800ultra/2900xt 1GB will treat you right, have a look at my handle/avatar.. thats coming from a hardcore slier from long ago..

as for monitor, u got 2 options: 2560x1600 monitor or 1080p hdtv, preferably the 120hz hdtv, believe it or not im gonna invest in another 1080p (120hz this time) hdtv over 2560x1600 monitor.. monitors are total crap vs hdtvs - i have a samsung 1920x1200 24"

as for sound, auzen x-meridian/prelude

as for motherboard, theres no great mobo to recommend on this planet unfortunately, i definitely recommend the next solar system
    I'm with you on computer monitors, I was originally gonna get the popular Westinghouse 37W3 37" 1080P but now seems discontinued, anyhow would you recommend single card or SLI for 1080P resolution? It'll be for the next wave of PC games Crysis etc. of coarse with the new G92
    Last edited by coffeetime; 08-18-2007 at 08:12 PM.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by coffeetime View Post
    Very nice thread StKarnivor, it saved me alot of $. I'm pretty much in the same shoes as you but with close to a 10K budget... though now, I know better and to stash some of the $ for future upgrades

I agree with the some of the peeps here to ditch the WC and keep it simple with good air cooling setup.

Also, perhaps you might want to invest in an ergonomically functional computer chair with some of the money you saved. It's something that a lot of people don't pay attention to. They just grab a chair from the kitchen table or just go out to office supply store and grab the first thing that looks cool... that's not a cool thing to do.

You spend all this money on hardware, the latest video cards, great monitor or HDTV etc but if you don't take care of your butt/back, it won't be taking care of you :P. Think about what kind of chair you're sitting in. Don't just buy something that looks good or that is cheap, that being said I recommend spending a good chunk of change on the chair.
    Check out these different types of contemporary office chairs that are popular among consumers:

Bodybilt
    Grahl by synchron 5,7 or 8 (though it's no longer made and not in the open market but they do make similar chairs availible)
    Freedom by Humanscale
    Leap by Steelcase
    Aeron by Herman Miller
    Mirra by Herman Miller

Though I wouldn't recommand Herman Miller by the mixed reviews of people that have them. Personally I'm going for Bodybilt (starts $800-$2000, model J or K 3507 = a little over 1K depending on the materials you choose - also the model depends on your weight and height, you can pretty much customize it to fit you like a glove). Instead of buying six or eight crappy chairs over the course of say 8 years, buy one really great chair that will last the full eight years and will probably last quite a few years longer.

Most people that forget about when they buy a chair is that it locks forward. You're actually sitting at a forward slant, legs and butt at a forward slant so you're at a very good posture. When you unlock the forward slant then you're sitting like a lot people do, bucket style or straight style with your upper body and neck hunched forward. That's not as good for your back, neck, shoulders... everything involved.

Of coarse you need your keyboard at a very comfortable height, not too high, not too low. You don't want you're monitor/HDTV too high up, keep your monitor/HDTV where you're eyes will be looking at the screen slightly downward as much as possible or the top of the monitor/HDTV at eye level.

This is all very important, I know I'm talking about the chair but EVERYTHING plays into it when we talk about ergonomics. I know you can't have everything perfect but do the best you can, every little peice counts.

The chair though like I said it should have free range of motion, which is good for a chair, I like rocking lol. But when I'm serious in starting to work very hard and very intently (mostly gaming lol) I lock it in a forward position because I know I'm going to be there for awhile. The last thing I want to do is sit like what a lot of people sit in the bucket or flat style while my upper body hunching over; if you sit like this for the most part, guess what happens when you stand up? You're walking like this and you don't want to be known a as the Hunchback of Notre Dame... not what I want to be known for lol

Not my pic, just grabbed off search :P

The second thing is excellent lumbar support at the bottom and contours all the way up the back. This make for very comfortable seating arrangement no matter how you're sitting. Third thing is movable neck rest/head rest. You won't really use it a lot as you think, though when you do lean back of coarse your neck/head rest upon it. But it also helps when you're in the forward slant/position and lock it down, it keeps your neck in line with your back and sitting in a very ergonomically comfortable position and this is all very very important. Also get up several times in an hour and if you don't remind yourself "hey get up and move around" that is also very important when it comes to ergonomics... but it all ties back to the chair. If you don't take care of your body that will come back and bite you in the ass, literally and or figuratively. Take care of your body, it's the only thing you've got.

EDIT-

I'm with you on computer monitors, I was originally gonna get the popular Westinghouse 37W3 37" 1080P but now seems discontinued, anyhow would you recommend single card or SLI for 1080P resolution? It'll be for the next wave of PC games Crysis etc. of coarse with the new G92
    lol on the section about the chairs. Reminds me, my friend actually uses lawn chairs. He refuses to put more than 10 dollars into a chair becuase he says it's too expensive
    -----------------Main Setup-----------------
    Processor: Intel C2D E4600ES @ 3.4 Ghz
    Motherboard: Abit AW9D-Max
    Heatsink: Cooler Master GeminII HSF
    Graphics Card: eVGA 6800GS 515//1320 (hacked SLI)
    RAM: 2x 1Gb GeIL Ultra UDCA= DDR2 800Mhz cas 4
    RAM: 2x 1Gb Crucial Tenth Anniversary DDR2 667Mhz cas 3
    Hard Drive (Primary): 1 x 200Gb Seagate EIDE
    Hard Drive (Secondary): 1 x Seagate 160GB SATA
    Hard Drive (Secondary): 1 x Seagate 300Gb SATAII
    DVD-RW Drive: 1 x Lite-on CD-RW/DVD-RW
    Power Supply: Antec Basiq 500W

Xtreme Member
    Hey with ALL of that money that you have in your possession why not comission Cathar (WC Deity) personally to lathe/mill you a world-record WC CPU block for 775 and high-flow watercooling.

You can find him @ http://forums.procooling.com/vbb/index.php

Cheers and good luck mate
    Last edited by pH(x); 09-03-2007 at 05:33 AM.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345