Thread: Compressor confusion.

Xtreme Member

Compressor confusion.

Firstly Id like to say hello to everyone, I like the incredible amount of knowledge and maturity, so would like to stick around.

Ive been reading a lot of the posts here, but am suffering from a bit of information overload. Ill keep on reading and hopefully it will start to fit together.

I am planning on a water chiller and was going to leave selection of the parts untill I knew what I was doing, but was in a scrapyard today and they had just broke up some shop fridge stuff. The nice man said help yourself so I did, and ended up with the following compressors.

2x Necchi (A11)
    2x L'unite hermetique sa (310532 CAJ 4511A)
    1x Aspera (T2134A 103BC01)

The only info that looked relevant is in brackets, they are all 240v and marked R12. Ive looked at god knows how many pages on google, without finding anything usefull. So was wondering if anyone knows anything about any of them. What sort of results could I expect or should I look for something else. Yesterday I had a look at a local refridgeration engineers factory and theres tons of stuff outside, big three phase compressors, all sorts of shop fridge/chiller stuff, aircon stuff and the skip was overflowing. So theres options there.

Anyway any info/advice would be appreciated.

Gary.

Xtreme X.I.P.
    TheDogFather Just wanted to say Welcome to xtreme forums, we hope you stick around too !

I'm new to vapo stuff myself so I can't answere your quesions but there are alot of folks here that can and will !!!
    24/7 Work & Play Rig
    Gigabyte X58A-UD5, i7 920 @ 4.56ghz 1.48v 21x217, G.Skill PI 12Gb 8-8-8-24-1T 1.56V @ 1736Mhz
    EK Supreme HF P1, Dual EK DCP 4.0 Pumps and EK Res, XSPC RX360 & RX240 w/ 1850rpm GT's
    Sapphire HD 4870 1Gb @ 810/1020mhz, 2x Dell 2407, 2x 1Tb WD Black SATA3, 2x 2Tb Hitachi 7k2000
    Cooler Master ATCS 840, Corsair 750TX PSU, running OSX 10.6.3 & Win 7 64

Xtreme Member
    Hey man welcome

There are many very knowledgeable phase-change people on here. I am still a newb at it, So I can't help you with the compressor identification, but on the physical putting together of the unit you can take a peek at my setup. You can see some pics of my setup on my website and in my sig and here http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/...threadid=15119
    good luck man
    Bryan
    eocf newbs own, as does linx

Xtreme Addict

Re: Compressor confusion.

Originally posted by TheDogFather
    Firstly Id like to say hello to everyone, I like the incredible amount of knowledge and maturity, so would like to stick around.

Ive been reading a lot of the posts here, but am suffering from a bit of information overload. Ill keep on reading and hopefully it will start to fit together.

I am planning on a water chiller and was going to leave selection of the parts untill I knew what I was doing, but was in a scrapyard today and they had just broke up some shop fridge stuff. The nice man said help yourself so I did, and ended up with the following compressors.

2x Necchi (A11)
    2x L'unite hermetique sa (310532 CAJ 4511A)
    1x Aspera (T2134A 103BC01)

The only info that looked relevant is in brackets, they are all 240v and marked R12. Ive looked at god knows how many pages on google, without finding anything usefull. So was wondering if anyone knows anything about any of them. What sort of results could I expect or should I look for something else. Yesterday I had a look at a local refridgeration engineers factory and theres tons of stuff outside, big three phase compressors, all sorts of shop fridge/chiller stuff, aircon stuff and the skip was overflowing. So theres options there.

Anyway any info/advice would be appreciated.

Gary.
    ok first woo hooo glad to have you here

here are some good links to learn some about this stuff
    basics
    more
    i am working on finding you some info for you if i can ok.

Xtreme Addict
    ok the L'unite hermetique sa (310532 CAJ 4511A
    seam to be high temp(+45f evap compressors)with a 5100btu output with r12.they will make good chillers.should give you -10c evap temps with a good btu output.

the other 2 compressors i have no idea.
    i know who makes the Aspera or i should say it is the same as embraco compressors,but i cannt find the specs on your numbers you took off.
    best i could do quickly tonight.

Xtreme Member
    Welcome to the sickness..............................

baker18

Xtreme Member
    Thanks for the wellcome guys

I have been reading up for ages (honest) registered about a month ago, simply because I had the answer to someones question (cant see that happening again for a while) but was unable to post.

I did do a thorough search before posting, but came up with nothing but am guessing that all these compressors will be pretty simialar. From what I could make of the wreckage, it looked like they came from those freezers, you see in shops, kinda waist height, with a open top.

Ambitous maybe, but I would like my first project to perform better than vapos/prom so if -10 is what I can expect, then what sort of thing would provide a better comp ? I dont hold out much hope of finding one like Bowman's hospital cryo fridge but maybe theres something usefull amongst all the stuff at the refridgeration engineers. There was some three phase comps there and some V twin's but im thinking these are too big aswell as running on the wrong supply.

Anyway thanks again for the wellcome and responses.

Xtreme Member
    Sorry if its a no no to double post like this, wasnt sure wether to start another thread or what. Not to up on the etiqute, still trying to figure out what a troll is

Anyhow ive decided to take things slowly, maybe use those compressors later. Went back to the fridge engineers and got a huge condenser out of a aircon unit and a few other bits to add to my growing collection. Im hoping the condenser will be good, its got about 150ft of pipe running through it. Took down the details of four Danfoss comps, going to look them up in a bit.

While I was there I dismantled a drinks cooler, and took the lot comp, evap, and condenser. Stripped all the crap off it and mounted it on a piece of ply. Had it running, all seems good.

I figure ill use this for my first setup, then mod it and use it as a learning aid till im ready for extreme

Some questions I have.

1. Going the water chiller route, is it ok to site the compresser etc. upstairs and pipe the cold water down ?

2. Can you have a condenser thats too big ?

3. Can you have a compresser thats too small ?

4. How do I identify a good compressor, what specs are important ?

5. How well cooled do the other bits need to be when youve got a major overclock going on ?

Thanks again guys, and meant to say, nice set up Bryan.

Xtreme Addict
    Sorry if its a no no to double post like this, wasnt sure wether to start another thread or what. Not to up on the etiqute, still trying to figure out what a troll is

Anyhow ive decided to take things slowly, maybe use those compressors later. Went back to the fridge engineers and got a huge condenser out of a aircon unit and a few other bits to add to my growing collection. Im hoping the condenser will be good, its got about 150ft of pipe running through it. Took down the details of four Danfoss comps, going to look them up in a bit.

While I was there I dismantled a drinks cooler, and took the lot comp, evap, and condenser. Stripped all the crap off it and mounted it on a piece of ply. Had it running, all seems good.

I figure ill use this for my first setup, then mod it and use it as a learning aid till im ready for extreme

Some questions I have.

1. Going the water chiller route, is it ok to site the compresser etc. upstairs and pipe the cold water down ?

2. Can you have a condenser thats too big ?

3. Can you have a compresser thats too small ?

4. How do I identify a good compressor, what specs are important ?

5. How well cooled do the other bits need to be when youve got a major overclock going on ?

Thanks again guys, and meant to say, nice set up Bryan.
    First of this isnt a double post in my eyes....
    double posting is posting the excate same thing twice or more to increase your posting stats.or to just reply in each post with yes.no.maybe..etc you get the idea.not really saying anything but just getting a post in.

to anser question 1.yes it will work fine.only if you are in to cascade systems would this be a problem because of oil return.

#2..no i dont think there is a too big compressor ,with in reason.

#3 yes you can.you just cannt get low enough suction pressures to get a good setup if it is too small

#4.try to find 1/4hp and up if possable

#5 well remember the colder a circuit is the faster it can move current from one area to another

Xtreme Member
    Thanks for taking the time bowman, I appreciate it. I know you have a pretty full life, but noticed last night (as I was reading stuff) you working your way through peoples posts and answering them.

What I meant in reference to #1 was doing all the chilling of the water in the loft/attic and just pumping the water down round the computer and back up to the loft to have the heat removed.

#2 condenser not compressor, ive got a big AC one with about 150ft of pipe running through it.

#3 in a water chiller setup can too small a compressor become overloaded by the heat load, or will it still function just wont go as low as a better compressor.

#4 ive downloaded all the pdf's from danfoss, but they dont mention hp anywhere I can see.

#5 Say youre cooling your cpu to -50 does the gpu, northbridge etc. really need to to be that cold or just cool.

I should have worded it all better, sorry.

Ive got the pdf's for three of the Danfoss's ive found (dont know hp though) but the fourth a SC12C 104L2674 the pdf only contained some drawings no info. Five results came up on google all non english, is this one saying it will get to -40 removing 140w ? and just found this bit is it 5/8hp, this is good no ?

Xtreme Addict
    ok here goes.
    first ok i understand now about you getting the nosiy chiller away from your ears..LOL
    only thing is get a good pump.either 1 real good pump or 2 pumps inline.because of the amount of lift you will need to send it overhead,it will take a stong pump to do it.

large condensor is good.only problem you can have is it will take more refirgerant to get system up and running.
    yes a too small of a compressor can overload itself.but in a chiller you normally get higher than normal coolant temps if you overload the compressor.
    yea i think danfos show btu output only.which is ok.just get the btu output of the compressor.depending on how it was measured. 2000btu @40f is worst than 600btu@-40f.
    ok,, now i can seen where sub0 temps help the cpu and gpu most.and i had it help my nforce chip alot......but it becomes increasingly hard to properly insulate them the colder you get.

i looked at the pdf.it looks simerlar to a prometia compressor if i looked at the right one.i am having the same problem getting a spec as you did it looks like

Xtreme Member
    Thanks again.

This is some of what ive cut from it.

SC12C 104L2674

-45 -40 -35 -30 -25 -20 -15 -10 NormalHP

105 155 245 345 460 600 755 930 5/8

So im thinking this is a good comp to get for later ?

Got to put it in the loft really, ive seen your room and berkut's got my computer in the living room so trying to keep it tidy and quiet.
    Last edited by TheDogFather; 06-30-2003 at 04:28 AM.

Xtreme Addict

Got to put it in the loft really, ive seen your room and berkut's got my computer in the living room so trying to keep it tidy and quite.
    well you should see mine now.i can hardly turn around in here now.
    worse than before..LOL

Xtreme Member
    The L'unite I refered to in my first post (very top). I just found this PRESSA CAJ4511Y, 1HP on a foriegn website Im confused to start off with, without a unknown language, but is this really 1hp, and is it a good find ? edit, im seeing it described as 1cv in some other unknown language, and its appearing right down the bottom of the list, just before they change to three phase.
    Last edited by TheDogFather; 06-30-2003 at 06:02 PM.