Page 25 of 33 FirstFirst ... 1522232425262728 ... LastLast

Thread: Morphing Air Conditioner into Autocascade System

-150c Club Member
    Man, I wish I could have snuck in and placed a heavy duty humidifier right next to the evaporator....and then removed it before you arrived in the morning. That might have made for some hilarious results.
    That would've done the trick alright

Better yet, get a big drum of olive oil, proper it under, would have frozen it all up, and when you removed the bucket it would be incredibly wierd looking as the outside started to melt!
    And made for one hell of a mess

OMG, how did i miss this thread .... its damn cold!
    Yep, and it'll be even colder when I put it in a vacuum (I'm guessing -145C under normal ambient conditions in our shop).
    Michael St. Pierre

• Worked 15 years for Polycold Systems
    • Now Self-Employed
    • Manufacture Heat Load Controllers
    • Also do contract service work on Polycold units

Side note: I usually don't respond to PM's or emails regarding the projects that I post in the forums. I feel it's much more fair to all, to answer questions within the forum topics themselves.

-150c Club Member

A Comparison: AC-2 vs. Polycold P-75

This pic shows a very good physical comparison of a commercially made product (Polycold P-75), and what can be done with a Home Depot purchased AC unit. Now obviously the P-75 is missing its panels, but if nothing else, it shows the tremendous reduction in size that was achieved (not to mention, 1/2 the power consumption).
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	AC-2_vs_P-75.jpg 
Views:	953 
Size:	189.3 KB 
ID:	84463  
    Last edited by mytekcontrols; 08-29-2008 at 04:59 PM.
    Michael St. Pierre

• Now Self-Employed

Side note: I usually don't respond to PM's or emails regarding the projects that I post in the forums. I feel it's much more fair to all, to answer questions within the forum topics themselves.

Administrator

HAHA I love it

You did a great job on that !

Xtreme Cruncher
    Half as big, more powerful, less power draw. What more can you ask for?

Nice work.

-150c Club Member
    What's the HX stack like on the P75 though, isn't it pipe in pipe in a massive round coil? I bet they could save space, plus again condenser could be smaller! You are an innovator and an inventer indeed

If you have a cooling question or concern feel free to contact me.

-150c Club Member
    Yes Adam, there is a lot of wasted space inside the stack area, and like you implied, they used a very large diameter mandrel to bend up the coils (tube-in-tube coaxial design).

Polizei -- Long time no hear from. How are your projects going? And yes it does make a difference using a rotary vs a reciprocating compressor when it comes to efficiency.

But the cart still rolls better, uses zero power, and doesn't require any ozone depleting or greenhouse potential gases
    Last edited by mytekcontrols; 08-30-2008 at 12:08 AM.
    Michael St. Pierre

• Now Self-Employed

Xtreme Cruncher
    Quote Originally Posted by mytekcontrols View Post
    Polizei -- Long time no hear from. How are your projects going? And yes it does make a difference using a rotary vs a reciprocating compressor when it comes to efficiency.

But the cart still rolls better, uses zero power, and doesn't require any ozone depleting or greenhouse potential gases
    Projects? I have barely any time to fiddle with air cooling, let alone getting EPA certified to start playing with gasses. No tools, no workshop, no money, no phase for me. I pop in when I can to learn.

Splendid job

it would be possible to make the meme job to cool down a processor?

-100c Club
    I thought i've seen everything when i saw the cold_ice's & bazx quality made cascades, but You sir beat them all with this superb job. Everyone knows how hard is to make a aestetically good looking AC and even how hard - if not nearly impossible - is to make a good 3-stage+ autocascade!

Beyond words really. If you make a processor direct-die evaporator AC refrigerator, i'll vote to make You Xtreme Legend!

-150c Club Member
    it would be possible to make the meme job to cool down a processor?
    Yes, but due to the modern day requirement in heat load capacity (normally 250 watts), it would take about a 40% increase in compressor mass flow to achieve it on the system that I built. Would also require increasing captube flows proportionately.

Of course this also depends on the temperature required. If -90C would be sufficient for your needs, then simply eliminate one stage, increase the captube flows by at least 25-30%, and eliminate most of the R14, and NO argon.

Beyond words really. If you make a processor direct-die evaporator AC refrigerator, i'll vote to make You Xtreme Legend!
    Thanks tiborrr , but I doubt that I'll be able to find the time in the near future to do so. It looks like we'll have to see what Nol ends up doing in his autocascade project, or perhaps Gomeler (I have this feeling that we haven't seen the last AC out of him).

Stay Tuned: Pretty soon I'll reveal the final results for this project in the actual application, under a 10-6 Torr vacuum process.
    Last edited by mytekcontrols; 09-16-2008 at 05:56 AM.
    Michael St. Pierre

• Now Self-Employed

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Thanks Michael,
    Now I have a 25 page reread!! Nice Job

-150c Club Member
    Now I have a 25 page reread!!
    I'm not sure if this is a good thing, or a bad thing
    Michael St. Pierre

• Now Self-Employed

Diablo 3! Who's Excited?
    Thanks tiborrr , but I doubt that I'll be able to find the time in the near future to do so. It looks like we'll have to see what Nol ends up doing in his autocascade project, or perhaps Gomeler (I have this feeling that we haven't seen the last AC out of him).
    Just got a quote on R170(CHEAP!)... I have a HUGE reciprocating compressor sitting here.. two huge condensers.. a large autocascade is cooking on the back burner. I need a shop like yours

I'm not sure if this is a good thing, or a bad thing
    A fantastic thing. This thread has been a huge resource, learned more here on autocascade theory than any other thread. Has this been sticky'd yet?

-150c Club Member
    is it like foam in a can?
    Nope. It's a two part spray foam made by instapak.

Just got a quote on R170(CHEAP!)... I have a HUGE reciprocating compressor sitting here.. two huge condensers.. a large autocascade is cooking on the back burner. I need a shop like yours
    gomeler -- Where do you store and work on all this stuff now? Is it something like the basement shop that Nol has (see pic I found online below)?

Yep no doubt about it, I am lucky to have access to a good shop, with professional tools, torches, and a decent supply of refrigerants. Too bad you don't live in my area, since I know the people I work for would probably take on another qualified part time refrigeration person, and this would give you the same access I have. Plus it would give you a chance to work on some really big autocascades.

Nol's Mad Scientist Laboratory

Name:	Nols Work Shop.jpg 
Views:	792 
Size:	167.5 KB 
ID:	85490  
    Michael St. Pierre

• Now Self-Employed

Diablo 3! Who's Excited?
    I used to have a single-car garage in which I stored all my benching gear and refrigeration gear. Now I live in a house with no garage so I'm forced to move whatever tools I'm using outside, work for a few hours, and then move back into the house at nightfall. The garage was perfect though, I had 3 desks, 1 for benching and 2 for building, and plenty of space to keep everything organized. No worries though, just pieced together 2 single-stages doing the "patio shuffle" over the course of 2 days When I move out to California I'll have to at least visit your shop and see what a real workshop is like

-150c Club Member
    Hahaha that pictures years old. I then switched to nice metal framed work benches, and removed the couch and rugs and all that, got much more organized and clean. Then had wiring added and such to each stand, and then had to move all of it to my fathers home when my mother moved. So now that's all crammed in a very tight 12 by 12 foot square.
    Should post a picture sometime

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by n00b 0f l337 View Post
    Hahaha that pictures years old. I then switched to nice metal framed work benches, and removed the couch and rugs and all that, got much more organized and clean. Then had wiring added and such to each stand, and then had to move all of it to my fathers home when my mother moved. So now that's all crammed in a very tight 12 by 12 foot square.
    Should post a picture sometime
    Definitely.

Whats the mini Drill Press for?
    Pentium D805 @ 3.4Ghz on GA-945P-S3
    2Gb OCZ Gold 800 with XP Professional SP3
    Ati X1800XT
    550W Antec TruPower in Antec Sonata II
    Core 2 Quad Q9550 on GA-EP45-UD3P
    4Gb Corsair Dominator 1066 with Vista Ultimate SP1
    Asus 4850 TOP
    750W PC Power & Cooling in ????

There is not enough electrical oulets in my room.
    Best TF2 Quote:
    "tomtom92 : wtf the enemy has a base IN our base"

-150c Club Member
    Kicking ass and taking names of course
    Decent press that it was, I used it mainly for drilling holes in aluminum angle.

-150c Club Member
    I used to have a single-car garage in which I stored all my benching gear and refrigeration gear. Now I live in a house with no garage so I'm forced to move whatever tools I'm using outside, work for a few hours, and then move back into the house at nightfall. The garage was perfect though, I had 3 desks, 1 for benching and 2 for building, and plenty of space to keep everything organized. No worries though, just pieced together 2 single-stages doing the "patio shuffle" over the course of 2 days
    Kinda reminds me of my situation about 20 years ago...
    I was renting a place that had been converted from tin sided barn into a 2 room apartment (1 room was the combination kitchen and living room, and of course the other was the bedroom).

I later convinced the landlord to let me convert the attic space into a workshop. He agreed, and over the course of several months, and scrounging around for free left-over materials from construction sites, my lab was born. It didn't have any windows, but this also turned out to be part blessing when I accidentally started a small fire when torching on a unit. The fire I got under control quickly, but boy did it create a lot of smoke. I was nervous that the landlord would see it (he lived on the same property), and then shut down my operation. But because there were no windows, the only escape for the smoke was through whatever cracks it could find leading out of the attic space. It took quite a few hours for the smoke to finally dissipate, all the while being stealthy while doing so. I never got caught.

When I move out to California I'll have to at least visit your shop and see what a real workshop is like
    Well it isn't my shop, but I'm sure I can arrange a tour

Nol -- I thought it was great Just what an experimenters place should be.
    Michael St. Pierre

• Now Self-Employed

Diablo 3! Who's Excited?
    Kinda reminds me of my situation about 20 years ago...
    I was renting a place that had been converted from tin sided barn into a 2 room apartment (1 room was the combination kitchen and living room, and of course the other was the bedroom).

I later convinced the landlord to let me convert the attic space into a workshop. He agreed, and over the course of several months, and scrounging around for free left-over materials from construction sites, my lab was born. It didn't have any windows, but this also turned out to be part blessing when I accidentally started a small fire when torching on a unit. The fire I got under control quickly, but boy did it create a lot of smoke. I was nervous that the landlord would see it (he lived on the same property), and then shut down my operation. But because there were no windows, the only escape for the smoke was through whatever cracks it could find leading out of the attic space. It took quite a few hours for the smoke to finally dissipate, all the while being stealthy while doing so. I never got caught.

Well it isn't my shop, but I'm sure I can arrange a tour
    Hahahah that's great man. The most desperate I've been was brazing together a single-stage for myself in my dorm room. I didn't tell anyone on my floor what I snuck into my room, they would have been pissed with the co2 cylinder and mapp cylinders Since then though I've tried to work in large open rooms(said garage) or outside. You've got me beat, I would have cut sky-lights into the roof

Xtreme Mentor
    Quote Originally Posted by sjg0 View Post
    Definitely.

Whats the mini Drill Press for?
    problably drilling holes. i have one too, its pretty good at drililng holes
    mentally confused and prone to wandering

-150c Club Member

AC-2 Under High Vacuum (10-6 Torr range)

Here are my results with the AC-2 unit under actual operating conditions at High Vac (approximately 2x10-6 Torr).
    • Comp Suction Pressure = 26 psig
    • Comp Discharge Pressure = 148 psig
    • Comp Discharge Temperature = 67.1C
    • Condenser Air Temperature = 21.8C
    • Compressor Suction Temperature = 0.5C
    • Veeco MS-17 Cold Probe = -139.6C

I had to boost up the refrigerant charge to completely work the cold probe (forgot about radiant heat load coming from the walls of the cold probe vacuum chamber). Here is my estimate of the present charge:
    • 7oz R123
    • 4oz R22
    • 85psi R170
    • 85psi R14
    • 45psi Argon

The 1oz boost in the R22 really helped to make a better connection between the low and the high stages of the autocascade, and can also be seen in the moderate pressures, even though more gases were added.

If I get a chance I'll try to do a complete recharge with this new charge to verify repeatability under the same conditions. Judging by the compressor pressures, it appears that there may still be room for more Argon and even lower temps.

Name:	AC2-Veeco.jpg 
Views:	723 
Size:	193.6 KB 
ID:	85680  
    Last edited by mytekcontrols; 09-22-2008 at 10:55 AM.
    Michael St. Pierre

• Now Self-Employed

Xtreme Cruncher
    So, uh, what is going on in that picture?

What's the bottom machine?

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by teyber View Post
    problably drilling holes. i have one too, its pretty good at drililng holes
    lol. Wise-A$$

@mytekcontrols: I will be impressed when that thing can reach -250c
    Pentium D805 @ 3.4Ghz on GA-945P-S3
    2Gb OCZ Gold 800 with XP Professional SP3
    Ati X1800XT
    550W Antec TruPower in Antec Sonata II
    Core 2 Quad Q9550 on GA-EP45-UD3P
    4Gb Corsair Dominator 1066 with Vista Ultimate SP1
    Asus 4850 TOP
    750W PC Power & Cooling in ????

There is not enough electrical oulets in my room.
    Best TF2 Quote:
    "tomtom92 : wtf the enemy has a base IN our base"

Xtreme Cruncher
    Quote Originally Posted by Polizei View Post
    So, uh, what is going on in that picture?

What's the bottom machine?
    Think he said something about a deep vacuum mass-spectrometer.

Quote Originally Posted by sjg0 View Post
    lol. Wise-A$$

@mytekcontrols: I will be impressed when that thing can reach -250c
    Uhh...I think it is a feat in itself that he made a machine capable of -140*C in the space of a small window air conditioner..
    Fold for XS!
    You know you want to

Page 25 of 33 FirstFirst ... 1522232425262728 ... LastLast