-100c Club

Exclamation SuperPI 32M - Windows vs Linux

Testbed:
    - Intel C2D E6600 @ 465x9 = 4185MHz
    - 2x512MB D9-GMH @ 465 4-4-4-12-5-25
    - ASUS P5B Deluxe
    - WinXP SP2, some finetuning & tweaking done
    - Gentoo Linux (2.6.18 kernel) - zero tweaks, for 24/7 usage

All in all, setup wasn't overclocked to the limits and the latencies weren't tightened at all.
    Let's check how did the 32M SuperPI test ran on both Windows, where it ran in native mode, and Linux, where it ran in emulated mode via 'Wine' emulator. The results are quite interesting as you can see from the screenshots below:

Windows XP SP2:

Linux 2.6.18 - emulation:

P.S.: I have already repeated the benchmark twice in Linux and got better result (cca. 13min 24.8s). What's interesting is the first and the very last pass, which vary greatly from OS to OS. I'll try to tweak both Wine and SuperPI and try to get the last pass run as fast as any other. I think it's the problem with writing the results, so if i can speed this up the results will be fenomenal

Last edited by tiborrr; 03-02-2007 at 04:51 AM.

I am Xtreme
    Strange ... Linux used to be a lot faster. Can someone test with an older cpu? I'm pretty sure the result will be completely different.
    Where courage, motivation and ignorance meet, a persistent idiot awakens.

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by massman
    Strange ... Linux used to be a lot faster. Can someone test with an older cpu? I'm pretty sure the result will be completely different.
    hmm...that's what I seem to remember too???

Massman, is linux allowed for the hwbot SuperPi competition?

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Try the native linux version.

ftp://pi.super-computing.org/Linux/super_pi.tar.gz

For a 1m run the command would be:

./super_pi 20
    Also I've seen gains of 2sec+ when running without X.
    Last edited by stealth17; 03-24-2007 at 12:00 PM.

xtreme energy
    Sorry but running appz through wine is NOT linux

Too bad there is no SP mod client on linux. You can only try what stealth17 suggested

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by stealth17 View Post
    Can you upload it on speedyshare or smthing because i think ftp is down atm.
    LD PC-V8 | i7 3930K |Asus Rampage IV Extreme| G.Skill Ripjaws Z | Sapphire 7970 | Acer GD245HQ |OCZ Vertex 2 E 120GB | Intel 510 120GB | Cooling XSPX RX480, XSPC RX360, Swiftech MCP35X-XSPC res top, EK Supreme HF Copper,T-balancer mCubed bigNG |

Xtreme Addict
    IMO super pi shouldn't be allowed on Linux
    1) we all use windows so we need fair comparison
    2) it is a lot easier to fool the pi @ Linux
    Intel Core I7 920 @ 3.8GHZ 1.28V (Core Contact Freezer)
    Asus X58 P6T
    6GB OCZ Gold DDR3-1600MHZ 8-8-8-24
    XFX HD5870
    WD 1TB Black HD
    Corsair 850TX
    Cooler Master HAF 922

Xtreme Legend
    you should see how fast linux is in 1M

show me how many Windows XP machines can do this with E6600 conroe B1 stepping

Quote Originally Posted by dinos22
    i did 12.7xx on last reboot at 3GHz

took a screenshot of this one

32M times are not that great but 1M oh boy
    Team.AU
    Got tube?
    GIGABYTE Australia
    Need a GIGABYTE bios or support?

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by kemo6600 View Post
    I disagree with your number first reason. It is no different then people using Server 03 or Windows 2000 just because they are faster in one type of Pi then another.

As for number two, yes, that is a problem. I wish it was like the Super Pi Mod so we didn't have to worry about cheaters.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Ten View Post
    Can you upload it on speedyshare or smthing because i think ftp is down atm.
    Sure thing

http://www.theoverclocked.com/hosting/custom

Quote Originally Posted by kemo6600 View Post
    LOL just WOW. I am having a hard time deciding which of these two statements is the dumbest. You can go back to your kindergarten OS now

ANYWAY.... native linux superpi 1M benchies are about 3 seconds faster than Windows XP in my box
    Last edited by GTeng; 05-27-2007 at 08:14 PM.
    E4300 @ 3.4GHz (9x378) 1.55V Vcore (water cooled)
    Asus P5N32-E SLI PLUS
    2x1GB OCZ Rev 2 @850 4-4-4-12-1T

Xtreme Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by GTeng View Post
    LOL just WOW. I am having a hard time deciding which of these two statements is the dumbest. You can go back to your kindergarten OS now
    you comment makes you no different
    Team.AU
    Got tube?
    GIGABYTE Australia

Admin

ANYWAY.... native linux superpi 1M benchies are about 3 seconds faster than Windows XP in my box
    1) Welcome to XS
    2) YGPM
    3) both his points are valid....A) the results from Linux are so different that it's essentially not even the same benchmark, thus can't be used for competitive benching. B) it's a lot easier to cheat with [the appearance of] Linux....whether that be via VM or other means.

Xtreme Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by Vapor View Post
    1)
    2)
    3)
    Team.AU
    Got tube?
    GIGABYTE Australia

Xtreme Enthusiast
    This is interesting.

I was considering just throwing Linux onto a hard drive and booting into it for this reason.

I think my overclocks are squandered by the fact that alot of my overclocks POST, but they do not boot into Windows.

So, this would be considered 'unstable' in my terms. As, I can not even get into my operating system.

I want to see if I can boot at higher speeds into Linux.

I would expect Linux to be slower because, I get that sluggish feel with the operating system, with my rather, non-sluggish system. And yes, I did have video drivers installed. :P

I used Linux for quite a while, but, for just Firefox and Pidgin, Windows is just faster. In terms of Firefox. Maybe not statically, but definitely in overall feel and general page loading. And a lot of plugins aren't out for Linux in terms of Firefox.

EDIT: I would just put my voltage at 1.5v, boot into Windows at stock, and then overclock at operating-system level, but nTune returns a 1608 installation error (which I googled and could not solve), ClockGen increase my RAM with FSB, and my RAM is so terrible it is funny. With my FSB at 487, I just leave my RAM at 900 5-5-5-15. And SetFSB doesn't support the nForce chipsets. If there is a way to un-link the RAM from the FSB in terms of increasing in ClockGen with the 650i SLI chipset, please inform me.
    Last edited by MuffinFlavored; 05-27-2007 at 08:49 PM.
    Gigabyte P35-DQ6 | Intel Core 2 Quad Q6700 | 2x1GB Crucial Ballistix DDR2-1066 5-5-5-15 | MSI nVIDIA GeForce 7300LE

Xtreme Legend
    the trouble is that everyone is benching Spi XS mod 1.5 on windows and it makes for easy comparison

once you start benching uncommon OSes it's hard to know how much is hardware and how much software related and most people will not bother to figure out linux just to bench one app
    Team.AU
    Got tube?
    GIGABYTE Australia

Xtreme Enthusiast
    This is just silly comparison, you are emulating dude. We can take some sort of pi algorithm (other than superpi and one that is open), compile it with gcc under linux and mingw under windows with same cpu flags and optimizations, pair it with properly configured kernel and there you go.
    Q6600 3.6Ghz @ 1.276v | DFI LP LT P35 | Ballistix Tracer PC2-8500 600Mhz @ 2.074v | GeForce 260 GTX | Auzen X-Fi Prelude | PCP&C 750 | Arch Linux ~ WinXP
    AMD Athlon 64 X2 3800 | DFI LANParty NF4 SLI-DR | 2x512MB G.SKILL PC3200 BH-5 | OCZ PowerStream 520W | Palit GeForce 9600 GT | Gentoo

Long Live DFI.

Xtreme Addict

Thank you

I am Xtreme
    Quote Originally Posted by SLi_dog View Post
    hmm...that's what I seem to remember too???

Massman, is linux allowed for the hwbot SuperPi competition?
    No, it wouldn't be fair at all
    Where courage, motivation and ignorance meet, a persistent idiot awakens.

Quote Originally Posted by Vapor View Post
    1) Welcome to XS
    2) YGPM
    3) both his points are valid....A) the results from Linux are so different that it's essentially not even the same benchmark, thus can't be used for competitive benching. B) it's a lot easier to cheat with [the appearance of] Linux....whether that be via VM or other means.
    What you call cheating I call more efficient computing just because you can't compare it to a Winblows benchmark doesn't mean any of his point make any f-ing sense. For us Linux users who actually give a damn about number crunching performance for work/research this does mean a lot. In fact at the same clock speed I get about 20% improved performance in Linux over all in number crunching.
    Last edited by GTeng; 06-03-2007 at 10:05 AM.
    Asus P5N32-E SLI PLUS

Quote Originally Posted by dinos22 View Post
    you comment makes you no different
    You got a little brown something in your nose, pull your head out of it.....
    Asus P5N32-E SLI PLUS

Admin
    What you call cheating I call more efficient computing just because you can't compare it to a Winblows benchmark doesn't mean any of his point make any f-ing sense. For us Linux users who actually give a damn about number crunching performance for work/research this does mean a lot. In fact at the same clock speed I get about 20% improved performance in Linux over all in number crunching.
    Yes, Linux is faster in SuperPi....that's not the cheating part. We're just saying that they're incomparable.

The cheating comment about the Linux SuperPi is that it's just EASIER to cheat in the Linux version than it is in the Windows version....just another reason why we don't acknowledge those scores as official.

If people want to have a Linux SuperPi competition...by all means go ahead, it'd probably be fun with the challenges in in-OS OCing that Linux presents. BUT, under no condition will those results be considered for the overall SuperPi WR.

Ugh, YGPM, again

Xtreme Addict
    Still it makes no difference

I am Xtreme
    We're not doing "efficient computing" here, it's a competition. We all know windows. It's been the standard used since this hobby began. If linux is faster for your work that's great, but this isn't a job. We're far to late into the game to learn a new OS and have every bench recoded. The only person here who's not making "any f-ing sense" is you

Think about it, we have enough problems with cheating accusations as it is on an OS we already understand inside and out. Imagine what would happen when we use an open source OS with TONS of different distros and tons of tweaks we don't know about. How would you tell a highly tweaked version of a fast distro from a flat out cheat?
    Last edited by afireinside; 06-03-2007 at 10:55 AM.
    Phenom II 940 BE / ASUS M4A79 / HD5770 Crossfire
    3770mhz CPU 2600mhz NB | DDR1040 5-5-5-15 | 900/1250

Xtreme Member
    Why linux is easier to cheat?? Nobody gives an example. No concrete evidence on it.

-if you compare superpi (the windows binary) running on linux and on windows , that is total fair! You still have the checksum to validate it.

-Linux is easier to tweak not to cheat. Like optimizing your kernel to run on your processor only.

- If someone there knows about programing a lil bit, that person would know that to hack a compiled binary without having a header or the source is quite difficult on windows. On linux is MORE difficult, because you are "emulating" windows to run this app, so you have to hack the "emulator" first than start to hack the app. 2x more difficult

-You have 10x more hacking tutorial on windows than on linux.

-If linux is easier to cheat, so is strange the fact that linux don't have a single spyware, adware, trojan or "bad boy virus". This stuff are all HACKS, CHEATS. Windows have tons of it. Your anti-virus download patch every single day, why?

-If linux can run the same binary faster than windows, its not linux fault or cheat. Its windows that is bloatware and can't even run well even an app that is compiled to run natively on windows.

So if you are claiming that linux is easier to cheat, first show me something concrete.
    C2Q QX6800@ 3.75GHz (375x10 - 1.450v) - L725A - G0
    4GB PC2-5300 Kingston Micron D9@ 3-4-4-10 750MHz 1:1
    Asus P5E-Deluxe - no mods
    eVGA 9600gso G92 + XFX 8500 GT (physics)
    H4ck3d-Slackware 11.0
    kernel-2.6.22.1@MCORE2 Arch Optimized

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast