25 Mins.. - Vista Boot Time...

source here

25 mins... is tooooooo longggggg..

YouTube Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by StyM
    Blazin' speed for those who don't hit minimal requirements
    Fast computers breed slow, lazy programmers
    The price of reliability is the pursuit of the utmost simplicity. It is a price which the very rich find most hard to pay.
    http://www.lighterra.com/papers/modernmicroprocessors/
    Modern Ram, makes an old overclocker miss BH-5 and the fun it was

Xtreme Member
    Mind you atleast when I install XP and the install screen says 30minutes remaning its only really 10 minutes, so I would rather them say it will take 25 minutes and only really take 15
    Intel i5 2500k @ 4GHz || Gigabyte Z68 UD3 || Vengeance 8GB 8-8-8-24 1T || CM Stacker 810
    ATI 4850 || Samsung Spinpoint F3 x 2 || SilverStone ST60F
    Asus DVD RW +- || Logitech G15 || MS Intel-eye 1.1|| CMV 19" Wide-Screen || Scythe Ninja

teh 0wnage
    Quote Originally Posted by StyM

source here

This is probably due to the built in benchmark to rate your system at the first boot. Hence the blank screens part(happens when it tests your vga)

Xtreme 3D Team Member
    on a gateway i owned the pc only had windows half loaded when you bought it, it was at the point where the sytem reboot and boots from the hd for the first time. so i bet that is what it is doing. it is the rest of the install, that way the countdown for activation and set-up stuff is left up to the end user plus it can set-up the accesories and other bs.
    QX 9650 5ghz with 1.55v 4.8ghz with 1.5v 24/7 in a VAPOLI V-2000B+ Single stage phase cooling.
    DFI LP LT X-38 T2R
    2X HD4850's water cooled , volt modded
    Thermaltake 1KW Psu
    4x Seagate 250GB in RAID 0
    8GB crucial ballistix ram

Xtreme Addict
    Is Vista worth it? Or should we wait?

~Mike
    Main Rig: Intel Core i7 7700k @ 4.2GHz, 64GB of memory, 512GB m.2 SSD, nVidia GTX1080Ti
    NAS: QNAP TVS-1282, 8 x 4TB WD Golds(Main Storage Pool), 4 x 960GB M4 Crucial (VM Storage) , 2 x 512GB M.2 Caching
    Private Cloud: 4 Nodes (2 x Xeon 5645, 48GB DDR3 ECC/REG, 1 x 1TB HDD, 1 x 960GB SSD/Each)
    Distributed Encoding Cloud: 4 Nodes (2 x Xeon x5690, 24GB DDR3 ECC/REG, 1 x 128GB SSD/Each)
    Feedback
    EBAY:HEAT

YouTube Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by arisythila
    Is Vista worth it? Or should we wait?

~Mike
    the short answer is:
    Depends
    The price of reliability is the pursuit of the utmost simplicity. It is a price which the very rich find most hard to pay.

Xtreme Addict
    I'm pretty sure that says "the first time". I think you can bear with it if it's a one-time thing.
    DFI LANParty DK 790FX-B
    Phenom II X4 955 BE (1003GPMW) @ 3.8GHz (19x200) w/1.36v
    -cooling: Scythe Mugen 2 + AC MX-2
    XFX ATI Radeon HD 5870 1024MB
    8GB PC2-6400 G.Skill @ 800MHz (1:2) 5-5-5-15 w/1.8v
    Seagate 1TB 7200.11 Barracuda
    Corsair HX620W

Support PC gaming. Don't pirate games.

Xtreme Member
    dont need vista.

Xtreme Addict
    Ya saw that when I bought Vista at the store. Eh if it took 6min at that screen on the first boot not bad IMO.
    -=The Gamer=-
    MSI Z68A-GD65 (G3) | i5 2500k @ 4.5Ghz | 1.3875V | 28C Idle / 65C Load (LinX)
    8Gig G.Skill Ripjaw PC3-12800 9-9-9-24 @ 1600Mhz w/ 1.5V | TR Ultra eXtreme 120 w/ 2 Fans
    Sapphire 7950 VaporX 1150/1500 w/ 1.2V/1.5V | 32C Idle / 64C Load | 2x 128Gig Crucial M4 SSD's
    BitFenix Shinobi Window Case | SilverStone DA750 | Dell 2405FPW 24" Screen
    -=The Server=-
    Synology DS1511+ | Dual Core 1.8Ghz CPU | 30C Idle / 38C Load
    3 Gig PC2-6400 | 3x Samsung F4 2TB Raid5 | 2x Samsung F4 2TB
    Heat

Xtreme Enthusiast
    My dad works for Raytheon. If their IT guys say wait, then I wait. I think they run a lot more important stuff than CS: S and :banana::banana::banana::banana:, but I'll still wait.

Xtreme Addict
    Note: This is only with Geek Squad.

They prolly provide a semi-installed computer which starts the setup proces (right after the files have been copied to the hdd and the first reboot occurs).

Then Vista goes through the setup (Geek Squad prolly configured it not to show the installation proces) and after about 25 mins Vista is installed en ready to go (at my PC it was only 18 mins but hey).

However rebooting during the installation may cause setup to become corrupted thus you have to reinsert the DVD and restart setup from there. These PC's however are prolly not supplied with such an DVD, so people have to return them to the store.

This has really nothing to do with Vista actually having a 25 mins boot time, that's total BS. Vista boots up under 1 min even on slower systems, especially when it's a brand new installed.

And everybody shouting "I don't want Vista, I don't need it..." STFU and just try it out.
    Microsoft has a free 30 days trial version which you can try at no costs.

It'll take about 25 mins max to install, and doesn't ask any difficult questions during setup.

After that, if you've tried it for 30 days and you don't want it? Just throw it away.
    If you do want it? Go to the store, buy Vista, enter the key and you don't even need to reinstall it.

So stop whining about "Should I take it?" "Is it worth it?" "Do I have to wait?" "I don't want it!" "I'll buy it later"
    Just go and try it, nobody can tell you what's best for you, you just have to find out.

For me: Totally worth it, it is just as good as XP in some area's and better in most area's. So that makes it worth it. If that doesn't make it worth it XP wasn't worth it either.

Also: If you think 25 mins is long for a Vista install?
    You can do a network installation if you have a Windows Server 2003, that takes only about 2 mins.
    Last edited by Thorry; 01-31-2007 at 08:13 PM.
    The world vs the USA: The whole world hates you!
    USA: Why?? Why does the whole world hate us?
    The world: Because the whole world hates you, and you don't even know why!

I am Xtreme
    i took a 1 day test of vista and it installed in less then the time it took me to take a shower... thats faster then XP.

However, vista is cool, but its more of a gimmick for me, not worth the hassle to relearn how to do everything just for a slick GUI (which for personally i would disable it all anyways, i like it clean and simple. )

Xtreme Cruncher
    ^ +1, Windows classic theme FTW! But 30-day free trial...that's awful tempting...
    i3-8100 | GTX 970
    Ryzen 5 1600 | RX 580
    Assume nothing; Question everything

Xtreme Addict
    Sorry if it's obvious, but where can I find the 30 day free trial? Is it a DVD or a download?

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by nn_step
    the short answer is:
    Depends
    Τhe short answer is hell no, not until SP1 is out (or for some hardcore SP2)

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Fatal Error
    Τhe short answer is hell no, not until SP1 is out (or for some hardcore SP2)
    Or until driver support starts trickling through at least, for me that is the biggest problem.

Xtreme Member
    The above is quite normal for an OEM install isn't it. Not that I've ever purchased a new PC package but at work when we get a new PC which has a sysprep'ed image it always takes time to do the final config and registration.

Maybe people should read the handbook that comes with the PC as that should explain all.

Its takes 20 sec to boot my vista..im impressed
    Something old ..

Charcoal or propane?
    Perhaps I can shed a bit of light on the situation. I work at a BB a couple days a week in my spare time (its a good discount). Thorry was on the right track, but his scope was a bit too narrowly focused. I've been working back in the Geek Squad area recently because they've been swamped with computers, and the 25-minute boot time is fairly accurate. I want to note that this is only on initial boot, and will occur with any branded computer (such as Gateway, HP, etc.), whether it's at a Best Buy, Circuit City, CompUSA, etc.

Thorry is correct in that the OS is not completely installed when you first boot the PC. Upon first boot, the PC will run an initial configuration, which can take a few minutes, then you must go through the setup and registration process(name, internet type, user accounts, etc.), then the performance tests run b/c you get monitor switching and such. This all takes around 15 minutes. When it looks like you are close to actually booting to the desktop, all of the advertising bloatware installs itself. This stuff is on the PC from the factory, but does not actually install itself until the first boot. There are generally 10-15 programs that load, varying by manufacturer. The automated installation can take 10-15 minutes to complete, thus placing in the 25-30 minute range for initial boot.

Once you completely uninstall all of the bloatware on the PC, it will boot just as quickly as any other copy of Vista, meaning in the ~30 second range.
    DFI UT X58-T3eH8 (being replaced with Giga UD5)
    Core i7 920 D0 mostly stable @ 4Ghz
    TRUE 120
    6GB OCZ Platinum 7-7-7 (still in testing
    XFX 4890 1GB @ 1050/1190
    Corsair HX850W
    CM Cosmos S

Still testing...

Xtreme Addict
    the short answer is:
    Depends
    lmao... you some kind of economist or somethin?

Ryan
    "Political Correctness is a doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical, liberal minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."

Abit IP35 Pro
    Intel Core 2 Quad 6600 @ 3200 w/ Tuniq Tower
    2x2gb A-Data DDR2 800
    AMD/ATi HD 4870

YouTube Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by FghtinIrshNvrDi
    lmao... you some kind of economist or somethin?

Ryan
    nope, just someone who knows that some people want the latest greatest features and probably should get it; as well as those who are more reasonable and can patiently wait.

Royal Administrator
    nope, just someone who knows that some people want the latest greatest features and probably should get it; as well as those who are more reasonable and can patiently wait.
    That'd be me.

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by Thorry
    Note: This is only with Geek Squad.

They prolly provide a semi-installed computer which starts the setup proces (right after the files have been copied to the hdd and the first reboot occurs).

Then Vista goes through the setup (Geek Squad prolly configured it not to show the installation proces) and after about 25 mins Vista is installed en ready to go (at my PC it was only 18 mins but hey).

However rebooting during the installation may cause setup to become corrupted thus you have to reinsert the DVD and restart setup from there. These PC's however are prolly not supplied with such an DVD, so people have to return them to the store.

This has really nothing to do with Vista actually having a 25 mins boot time, that's total BS. Vista boots up under 1 min even on slower systems, especially when it's a brand new installed.

And everybody shouting "I don't want Vista, I don't need it..." STFU and just try it out.
    Microsoft has a free 30 days trial version which you can try at no costs.

It'll take about 25 mins max to install, and doesn't ask any difficult questions during setup.

After that, if you've tried it for 30 days and you don't want it? Just throw it away.
    If you do want it? Go to the store, buy Vista, enter the key and you don't even need to reinstall it.

So stop whining about "Should I take it?" "Is it worth it?" "Do I have to wait?" "I don't want it!" "I'll buy it later"
    Just go and try it, nobody can tell you what's best for you, you just have to find out.

For me: Totally worth it, it is just as good as XP in some area's and better in most area's. So that makes it worth it. If that doesn't make it worth it XP wasn't worth it either.

Also: If you think 25 mins is long for a Vista install?
    You can do a network installation if you have a Windows Server 2003, that takes only about 2 mins.
    Actually these are ALL manufacture computers right out of the sealed box. and its not 25 mins for vista install, its for the first time the machine is ever powered on, going through the initial setup/configuration process.
    Current Setup:
    -9850 GX2's in Quad SLI config
    -Asus P5N32-SLI MB
    -2x512mb of PC2-5300 DDR2
    -Intel Celeron D OC'd to 3.2Ghz
    -Windows Me with XP theme
    -WD Caviar 20GB Hard Drive
    -Zip drive
    -Jazz drive
    -3.5" floppy drive
    -5.25" floppy drive

Xtreme Enthusiast
    the first boot does take a few minutes. but after that, vista starts up pretty quickly.
    Computer:
    Case: Corsair 750D Airflow Edition
    Mobo: Gigabyte Aorus X570 Ultra
    RAM: Team TForce Xtreem ARGB 3600C14 2x16gb XMP
    CPU: AMD Ryzen 5900x
    Graphics: EVGA (rip) RTX 3080 FTW3
    PSU: Seasonic Focus GX 850w
    Cooling: Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360mm
    NVMe: SKHynix P41 Platinum, Samsung 980 Pro 2tb
    SSD: Micron 1100 2TB, Samsung 860 Evo 1tb
    HDD: WD SE 2TB, WD Black 1tb 3 platter with over 10 years of power-on time

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast