Page 28 of 51 FirstFirst ... 182526272829303138 ... LastLast

Thread: Commando Results by Tony and Andre (and others...)

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Chri$ch
    has somebody the same problem and cant clock over 533FSB with Commando?

I tested 6 CPUs (X6800, E6600 & E6400) and all cpus hang @ 533FSB
    \o_ <-- me here.
    535FSB is max here SP1M, but now I have another Commando and will test it today
    - Team Skootterit
    - SuperPi32M : 18m53.156s with FX-57 / LN2 (Ilkkahy's brazed container)
    - SuperPi8M : 3m55.703s with FX-57 / LN2 (Ilkkahy's brazed container)
    - SuperPi1M : 21.484s with FX-57 / LN2 (Ilkkahy's brazed container)

-100c Club Member
    I just got that mobo, testing tomorrow on Rotary unit

regards
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    My Work: LittleDevil's SS Cases, LittleDevil's SS Worklog, LD CPU-R1 Dice/LNē Pots, LD GFX-R1 Dice/LNē Pots,
    LittleDevil LD PC-V10, LittleDevil's K-Type Temp Display, |EMAIL: ldphasechange@gmail.com

LD PC-V8 Watercooling Cases:
    LINK

LD PC-V8 ATX/HPTX Watercoolig PC case with 10 expansion slots: LINK NEW!
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    www.ldcooling.com

Find US on Facebook

I have read most of this thread, though I skimmed some of it, and it seems the Commando is quite the motherboard. However, the question that begs to be answered is, is the Asus Commando Motherboard a better overall motherboard than the P5B Deluxe? IOW, is it worth the extra 30-40 bucks?

Thanks and sorry if this was already asked.

I am Xtreme
    i am torturing myself between getting the Abit QuadGT and the Commando.

i am not sure if i want to fool with the coil twisting or accept getting a slightly flaky bios with the QuadGT...although, Abit has a beta bios out since the 19th of january...haven't heard how that is doing.
    BIOSTAR TPOWER I45 UNOFFICIAL THREAD

BIOSTAR TPOWER BOLT MOD FOR HEATPIPE AND HEATSINK

BIOSTAR TPOWER I45 BIOS FLASHING PROCEDURE

ABIT IP35 PRO HEATPIPE MOD

ABIT IP35 PRO BIOS FLASHING PROCEDURE

IP35 Pro: 9650@4000Mhz, par overclocker; Freezone Elite; 4Gb GSkill DDR-800@DDR-1068 (2 x 2gb); XFX 8800 GTS; Areca 8X PCIe in Raid 0 working at 4x speed; 4-250 Gb (single platter) 7200.10 drives; Giga 3DAurora case with side window.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Slightly flaky(BIOS on QuadGT) is an understatement, but OK, point taken On the other hand, my Commando doesn't buzz, only a few do the buzzing and it can be fixed easily.
    The only advantages of the Abit over the ASUS are the 1066 strap all the way(hence no support for the 1333 FSB Core2, at least not yet) and the no vdroop,(OK, maybe the AWARD BIOS is a bit more friendly, if you consider that an advatage, and the uGuru comes handy if you want to spend time adjusting fan speeds and voltages in Windows, though I have no idea why would you want to do that) other than that the QuadGT is a lesser board any way you look at it.

Xtreme Member
    I think calling the QuadGt a lesser board is pretty extreme. I just consider it a new flavor of P965 for those that arent going to be pushing high fsbs.

If you do want to run high fsb though you'll realize pretty quickly that the abits memory issues over 550mhz are going to piss you off. If i had cheap ram and used air cooling i most definately would have gone with the quadgt. But since i needed a board that was reliable and capable of pushing 500fsb easy i had to go with the commando.

The only thing thats kind of getting on my nerves are the quadgt owners that believe their boards are better overclockers because the board uses the 1066 strap and its just not that cut and dry.

Just because commando doesnt have the 1066 strap option in the bios doesnt mean that you cant run it on the commando. Its been know for months now, boot 400fsb and clockgen up. Its not all that difficult.

The main thing they're failing to see though is that if the quadgt can only give you a max of 475x8 but the commando can get you 487x8 even on the 1333 strap. The tighter strap your running is negated by the fact that your cpu runs faster on the commando. So for me the choice was tighter strap vs higher oc and i'll take the higher oc any day because thats what'll truely give me better performance across the board and not only in superpi.

Asus Commando 6600 week 28B @4.2 1.475v(1.475 in bios) 525x8 4-4-3-4 1150mhz 2.3v
    2x1gb Patriot Pc-8000 Xbl | X1600 Pro | 2 Wd 36gb Raptors
    Seagate 750gb | Vapoli V2000B SS | Pc p&c Black Silencer 750

Quote Originally Posted by chron
    Its DDR2 - doesn't it need to be ran with 2 sticks at a time?

Mr. Deeds, a Chi-town native huh? I was just there today on business (I am from WI...that's right, I am a cheesehead). It sounds like the Commando is working magic for you. Would you recommend it for someone who wants to OC his e6600 to the max (me)? I am eying that board and the P5B deluxe but don't want to pay the extra $40 for nothing.

Xtreme Member
    I cant say its for nothing, i've previously owned a p5b-deluxe also.

Pros to the Commando over the P5B-Deluxe

Much higher vdimm voltages in bios.
    The on board power buttons.
    The bios is just more oc friendly than the one on the P5B-Deluxe.
    The digital pwm area makes it alot easier on someone that has to insulate the socket area.

Other than those things your pretty much getting a P5B-Deluxe. If you dont care about any of those things then you should probabaly just buy the P5B-D.

You can find the commando at e-wiz for $215 if you are still interested in getting that board.

Asus Commando 6600 week 28B @4.2 1.475v(1.475 in bios) 525x8 4-4-3-4 1150mhz 2.3v
    2x1gb Patriot Pc-8000 Xbl | X1600 Pro | 2 Wd 36gb Raptors
    Seagate 750gb | Vapoli V2000B SS | Pc p&c Black Silencer 750

Quote Originally Posted by chron
    Its DDR2 - doesn't it need to be ran with 2 sticks at a time?

I am Xtreme
    Quote Originally Posted by Alexandrus
    Slightly flaky(BIOS on QuadGT) is an understatement, but OK, point taken On the other hand, my Commando doesn't buzz, only a few do the buzzing and it can be fixed easily.
    The only advantages of the Abit over the ASUS are the 1066 strap all the way(hence no support for the 1333 FSB Core2, at least not yet) and the no vdroop,(OK, maybe the AWARD BIOS is a bit more friendly, if you consider that an advatage, and the uGuru comes handy if you want to spend time adjusting fan speeds and voltages in Windows, though I have no idea why would you want to do that) other than that the QuadGT is a lesser board any way you look at it.
    well, i do consider the Vdroop a big thing...it is important in my book!...as for the eye candy, the uGuru, i can take it or leave it...no factor for me in my evaluation...on the other hand, i love all the voltage options the commando offers....as for the buzzing, sure, i can twist a little hoping i don't over do it...i've given up on doing mods...i've done enough with success and FAILURE!

i am not out to impress anyone anymore...i want a good solid board that will do a moderate overclock with a Quad core....i really want to see the results of a quad core on the abit board...anandtech will have another update on the QuadGT with a quad core in about 7-10 days.

IP35 Pro: 9650@4000Mhz, par overclocker; Freezone Elite; 4Gb GSkill DDR-800@DDR-1068 (2 x 2gb); XFX 8800 GTS; Areca 8X PCIe in Raid 0 working at 4x speed; 4-250 Gb (single platter) 7200.10 drives; Giga 3DAurora case with side window.

I am Xtreme
    Quote Originally Posted by MrDeeds
    Just because commando doesnt have the 1066 strap option in the bios doesnt mean that you cant run it on the commando. Its been know for months now, boot 400fsb and clockgen up. Its not all that difficult.
    i don't believe you have a lot of people who like to boost the overclock from windows to get the remainder of the performance boost...i am one in a camp of many who like to set the bios and let it rip...don't mess with it afterwards!

The main thing they're failing to see though is that if the quadgt can only give you a max of 475x8 but the commando can get you 487x8 even on the 1333 strap. The tighter strap your running is negated by the fact that your cpu runs faster on the commando. So for me the choice was tighter strap vs higher oc and i'll take the higher oc any day because thats what'll truely give me better performance across the board and not only in superpi.
    i wish we could in some way wager on this and then, it could be settled...your commando at 8x487 and a QuadGT at 8x475...i would say it would be a tie since the QuadGT is working the 1066 strap and you are working the 1333 strap...now, if you boot at 400 FSB and then clockgen it up in windows to 487 (if you could make it, i doubt it)..then you would win

I cant say its for nothing, i've previously owned a p5b-deluxe also.

Pros to the Commando over the P5B-Deluxe

Much higher vdimm voltages in bios.
    The on board power buttons.
    The bios is just more oc friendly than the one on the P5B-Deluxe.
    The digital pwm area makes it alot easier on someone that has to insulate the socket area.

Other than those things your pretty much getting a P5B-Deluxe. If you dont care about any of those things then you should probabaly just buy the P5B-D.

You can find the commando at e-wiz for $215 if you are still interested in getting that board.
    I will be cooling the e6600 with a Tuniq Tower 120 and am basically looking for the most overclockable board for $250 or less. If the Commando is it I will be more than happy to pay the $215 e-wiz charges. Otherwise does anyone else have any suggestions?

-100c Club Member
    Guys does anybody had the same problems

regards
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    My Work: LittleDevil's SS Cases, LittleDevil's SS Worklog, LD CPU-R1 Dice/LNē Pots, LD GFX-R1 Dice/LNē Pots,
    LittleDevil LD PC-V10, LittleDevil's K-Type Temp Display, |EMAIL: ldphasechange@gmail.com

LINK

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    www.ldcooling.com

Find US on Facebook

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by LittleDevil

regards
    what the hell ...... RMA it asap !!!
    My Commando has no problem

Xtreme X.I.P

regards

you have no luck ...

i had this with first boot on E+
    http://www.pt1t.net/P5Beplus/cram%E9e.JPG

-100c Club Member
    Bad, i was running PC about 2 hours, fresh windows install and than i smell it

regards

LINK

www.ldcooling.com

Find US on Facebook

Xtreme Enthusiast
    I think calling the QuadGt a lesser board is pretty extreme. I just consider it a new flavor of P965 for those that arent going to be pushing high fsbs.

If you do want to run high fsb though you'll realize pretty quickly that the abits memory issues over 550mhz are going to piss you off. If i had cheap ram and used air cooling i most definately would have gone with the quadgt. But since i needed a board that was reliable and capable of pushing 500fsb easy i had to go with the commando.

The only thing thats kind of getting on my nerves are the quadgt owners that believe their boards are better overclockers because the board uses the 1066 strap and its just not that cut and dry.

I don't mean the QuadGT is a lesser board when it comes to OC, I just mean it is missing a lot of features that the Commando has. Like voltage options, second Gigabit LAN, reset CMOS button(boy, that is handy) and so on.
    As for the uGuru, it's quite usefull if you want a 24/7 silent PC, but for that ASUS has pretty much the same features.

Having had the Quad and the now the Commando and direct swapping everything, at least for me to be honest the Quad is just a bit better overclocker. I could hit the same speeds at about .05 less voltage on the vcore and nb, and get about 10 MHz higher on the fsb on the Quad. However, the bios problems on the Quad far outweigh that. And nope, raid is defintely not fixed in the latest beta bios from Abit.

Having said that, if Abit got their QC issues straightened out and fixed the bios problems I'd probably take the Quad back over the Commando even up. But I still can't believe they released a board with such a major bios problem where the ICH8R raid is essentially unusable. There are a few other minor bios problems on the Quad that aren't fixed in the latest beta bios either.

So I'm a happy Commando owner and I can say that it's alot more solid with far fewer quirks.

I am Xtreme

regards
    hey!...this happened to me when i got the Foxconn 975X their AB version to work with the dual core...i ran it about 5-10 hours before it did something very similar, burning up a mosfet around the PCIe video card slot....you talk about jumping out of a seat when the fire and smoke started to shoot up about 12 inches above the board...holy-cow!

I am Xtreme
    Quote Originally Posted by masonardo
    Having had the Quad and the now the Commando and direct swapping everything, at least for me to be honest the Quad is just a bit better overclocker. I could hit the same speeds at about .05 less voltage on the vcore and nb, and get about 10 MHz higher on the fsb on the Quad.
    i think less Vdroop with the Quad was the reason for a slightly better overclock.

Xtreme Member

regards
    Well mine died after 5min od playing with it...it shuts off and after i powred it i get "CPU Init" and a burned smell...that mosfet looks ok i dont know wth happend...
    i7 980x @ 4500Mhz 1.45V
    Rampage III Extreme
    6GB A-Data 1866Mhz+
    2x XFX 6970
    Crucial SSD 128GB M225
    X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty
    Corsair HX1000W

GSX-R 750 Rider

Xtreme Enthusiast
    By the way, BIOS 0803 goes official, it's now on ASUS's site with a full changelog.
    ftp://ftp.asus.com/pub/ASUS/mb/socke...mmando0803.zip

Xtreme Member
    I got one installed today from NE & it makes that noise everybody is talking about. Very disapointed about it, cant OC my RAM either.

Xtreme Family

regards

thats bad ,stock clocks and volts?
    Mojo
    Family
    Biostar TP55 XE - Core i7 860(ES) @ 4.2ghz - CNPS10X Extreme - G.SKILL 1600 - Galaxy GTX275 - Velociraptor 300GB x 2 - Zippy TypeR 600w
    Criminal
    Biostar Tpower X58A - 920~Gulf - G.SKILL2000CL8 - GTX580 - Intel 520 120GB - Antec HCP 1200w
    Biostar TP67XE/TZ77XE4 2500k~3770K - G.SKILL 2800 - GTX480 - OCZ Vertex2 50GB - Corsair AX1200
    Biostar Tpower X79 i7 3820 ~ E5 2680 - G.SKILL 2400C11 - GTX560Ti - Intel 520 120GB - AX1200i
    Kids
    P4GD1 - Pentium M 780 - XMS Xpert400 - GTX460 - Raptor 36GB - Aopen 560w

Xtreme Member
    Hiouston we've got a problem........

803 bios and 4/5 divider don't mix.Anything from 420 bus and above with 4/5 is a no go - repeat - NO GO!!! No matter what volt or timming combinations the board does not fire up and if it does it goes crazy on and off again.
    With 702 i could go all the way up.803 seems to me it's only for hi bus 1:1.

The bad thing is you can't roll back to previous bioses but i'm waiting for Joebar to tell me a way.
    i7 920 3922A436 W/C HEATKILLER | DFI LP UT X58-T3EH8 W/C Swiftech MCW30 | Corsair 6GB DDR3-1600 Ram Kit (3 x 2GB, PC2 12800, 7-7-7-20, TR3X6G1600C7) | Sapphire HD4870 X2 W/C (EK) | PC P&C 750 Quad Cf |1 x Intel Postville 80GB SSD | 2 x Raptor 36Gb Raid0 | 2 x Seagate 500Gb Raid0 | 2TB Western MYBOOK STUDIO EDITION II Raid0 | PHILIPS 42PFL8404H | WIN 7 Ultimate x64 | CoolerMaster CM Stacker | ThermoChill PA120.3, Swiftech MCP 355 with XSPC v3 top

Xtreme Family
    Quote Originally Posted by Varsos
    Hiouston we've got a problem........

803 bios and 4/5 divider don't mix.Anything from 420 bus and above with 4/5 is a no go - repeat - NO GO!!! No matter what volt or timming combinations the board does not fire up and if it does it goes crazy on and off again.
    With 702 i could go all the way up.803 seems to me it's only for hi bus 1:1.

The bad thing is you can't roll back to previous bioses but i'm waiting for Joebar to tell me a way.

430x9 4:5 divider on 0803 works like a charm for me

http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/...&postcount=643
    Mojo
    Family
    Biostar TP55 XE - Core i7 860(ES) @ 4.2ghz - CNPS10X Extreme - G.SKILL 1600 - Galaxy GTX275 - Velociraptor 300GB x 2 - Zippy TypeR 600w
    Criminal
    Biostar Tpower X58A - 920~Gulf - G.SKILL2000CL8 - GTX580 - Intel 520 120GB - Antec HCP 1200w
    Biostar TP67XE/TZ77XE4 2500k~3770K - G.SKILL 2800 - GTX480 - OCZ Vertex2 50GB - Corsair AX1200
    Biostar Tpower X79 i7 3820 ~ E5 2680 - G.SKILL 2400C11 - GTX560Ti - Intel 520 120GB - AX1200i
    Kids
    P4GD1 - Pentium M 780 - XMS Xpert400 - GTX460 - Raptor 36GB - Aopen 560w

Page 28 of 51 FirstFirst ... 182526272829303138 ... LastLast