Thread: >:| dammned ddc killed my x1800xt!

The un-extreme XIP

>:| dammned ddc killed my x1800xt!

It didnt start and the card overheated. !#$@%@#&^#&%#$%#@%

it now HEAVILY artifacts even at posting. this pump works about half of the time when starting up. it's at 12v and wiggling the connector has nothing to do with it's starting issues. there's nothing abnormal about the usage of the pump. once it starts, it's ok, but it doesnt start all the time.

do any other ddc issues suffer from this issue?

also, isnt there supposed to be overheating protection on these cards? i wonder why it didnt kick in.

i5 3570K@ 4.8GHz 1.32v, 32GB Gskill 1866, Gigabyte g1 sniper m3
    HD7970@1125/1575 stock voltage
    1TB F1+2*128GB Crucial M4
    Silverstone 450w, no case
    2560*1440@120Hz overclocked catleap
    Steelseries G6v2+5600dpi modded logitech trackball

Xtreme Cruncher
    how long have you had the ddc? I heard they arent as realiable; I guess it's true.
    For all your cooling needs: ShopPTS.com
    System:
    Rampage Formula // E8400 @ 4.0 (1.28v)
    4x 1GB Ballistix Tracer @ 600 (5-5-5-15)
    4x 74GB Raptors 16MB Raid-0 // Samsung F1 1TB
    eVGA 8800GTS 512MB @ 800/1111/2000
    Corsair HX620 // LG246WP
    Cooling:
    D-TEK FuZion // PA120.3 // 3x Yate Loon SH
    MCW60GT // EK Multi-150 // DDC-2 + Petra's Top

The un-extreme XIP
    in use for 1 month, almost exactly today. got it used though, but they didnt mention any problems and it wasnt acting up at first

Xtreme Addict
    Hmmm... you're not the first one apparently, guess I'll stick with my Swifty MCP655
    Good luck with your vga card RMA though
    lol... This forum requires that you wait 70 seconds between posts. Please try again in 8 seconds.
    *phone rings*
    Friend: Do you have a spare PSU lying around?
    Me: No why?
    Friend: My PSU just blew up, I think the second 8800GTX might have been too much for it to handle
    Me: what PSU was that again?
    Friend: Antec 480w
    Me:........

XS_THE_MACHINE
    ive never had that happen to me and ive had mine for 3-4 months
    Asus P5B-Deluxe 0614
    Conroe E6400 @ 2.56ghz
    Team Xtreem DDR2 2x1GB @ 900
    ATI X1900XTX // MC14 Ramsinks -DEAD- Using spare 7900gt now
    Hitachi 80gb | Hitachi 80gb | Seagate 320gb
    Mountainmods U2-UFO Original Black \\ BenQ DVD-RAM
    Corsair Hx620
    Swiftech Storm r2 \\ Swiftech MCW60 \\ Swiftech MCW30 \\ Thermochill PA120.3 \\ Swiftech MCRES Micro \\ DDC+ Plexi Top

Heatware | Guide To Current WaterCooling Components | Guide To WaterCooling and Leak Testing

The Blue Dolphin
    Yeah RMA it. Thermal protection should have kicked in. Good luck.
    Blue Dolphin Reviews & Guides

Blue Reviews:
    Gigabyte G-Power PRO CPU cooler
    Vantec Nexstar 3.5" external HDD enclosure
    Gigabyte Poseidon 310 case

Blue Guides:
    Fixing a GFX BIOS checksum yourself

98% of the internet population has a Myspace. If you're part of the 2% that isn't an emo bastard, copy and paste this into your sig.

XS_THE_MACHINE
    you should be RMAing the GPU AND the pump
    Asus P5B-Deluxe 0614
    Conroe E6400 @ 2.56ghz
    Team Xtreem DDR2 2x1GB @ 900
    ATI X1900XTX // MC14 Ramsinks -DEAD- Using spare 7900gt now
    Hitachi 80gb | Hitachi 80gb | Seagate 320gb
    Mountainmods U2-UFO Original Black \\ BenQ DVD-RAM
    Corsair Hx620
    Swiftech Storm r2 \\ Swiftech MCW60 \\ Swiftech MCW30 \\ Thermochill PA120.3 \\ Swiftech MCRES Micro \\ DDC+ Plexi Top

Heatware | Guide To Current WaterCooling Components | Guide To WaterCooling and Leak Testing

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by syne_24
    how long have you had the ddc? I heard they arent as realiable; I guess it's true.
    Well, you see, before I upgraded to DDC-1Plus, my old DDC was running 24/7 for almost 600 days - no problem (yes, I don't shutdown my PC), Now, I guess that only way how can you tell if they are reliable or not is to have statistical data about the faults and more importantly what caused them.

I remember that there was the start-up problem with the first batch of DDC pumps (although mine was OK and it was purchased in Dec/2004). Laing rectified the problem after that and new batches (including DDC-1plus) are not suffering from this, afaik.

ouch

Maybe once I watercool my system (it will be awhile yet due to $$$ reasons) I'll put my pump on a separate power source that I turn on first to make sure it is working. Make it also that unless that pump switch is on I can't accidentally turn on the computer without the pump running - I can see myself doing something like that
    The Cardboard Master
    Crunch with us, the XS WCG team
    Intel Core i7 2600k @ 4.5GHz, 16GB DDR3-1600, Radeon 7950 @ 1000/1250, Win 10 Pro x64

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by alexio
    Yeah RMA it. Thermal protection should have kicked in. Good luck.
    This is the reason why my t-balancer installation is automatically & immediately powering off the PC if there is no coolant flow (pump RPM 0). I simply don't trust the internal thermal management circuit of the GPU/CPU itself. In his case, I'm not sure how long card was running in that state. It shouldn't die immediately (especially if it's idle) or he simply didn't noticed soon enough that something is wrong.

The un-extreme XIP
    i woke up, turned it on, mom distracted me with some other stuff, i came back after about 10 minutes, totally blank screen, temp probe attached under the dd maze4's foam+acrylic backplate read 70c or so (and dropping interestingly, i think it jsut stopped workign and was cooling down or something, it coulnt have been actually"on", so maybe the thermal protection tripped after it was too late?), card was hot as hell and artifacted really badly when i did get it to display a screen again(i let it cool), which it doesnt even do all the time. tossing it in the freezer after reinstalling the stock heatsink for a while did nothing.

I've had mine for over 2 years and its still working fine. Sorry for your loss

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by DVL73
    This is the reason why my t-balancer installation is automatically & immediately powering off the PC if there is no coolant flow (pump RPM 0). I simply don't trust the internal thermal management circuit of the GPU/CPU itself. In his case, I'm not sure how long card was running in that state. It shouldn't die immediately (especially if it's idle) or he simply didn't noticed soon enough that something is wrong.
    Where can I get this T-balancer?
    Heatware: 50-0-0
    Quote Originally Posted by Charile
    I believe that GWB, who may NOT be the best overclocking CPU in the tray...
    Quote Originally Posted by -thc-(cZ) View Post
    oh c'mon, maxxx, kick that cat of that monitor and have it poop for you

Banned
    http://www.3dcool.com/product_info.php?products_id=1421

They have them is stock too I might have to pick one up

cirthix, i have exactly the same problem with a ddc ultra, once it starts..it never stops, but sometimes it doesn't start...the last time it did so...the cpu reached 70° after half an hour of gaming,, the gpu was not very hot ( approxymately as hot as it used to get with the stock cooler :asd: ), i was lucky and it didn't suffer any damage...now i connected my ddc to an independent power source, and the startup problem seems to have
    disappeared...

as usual, sorry for my bad english
    [ASUS p5b deluxe @801][Allendale E6400 @ 1.51v 420x8]
    [ x1800xt 256 1.2ns ][teamgroup pc6400 ddr840 4-4-4-10 2.25v]
    [liquidcooled by Ybris-cooling][ Antec TC 2.0 550w ][centurion 530 mod + noise isolator black]

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by turtletrax
    http://www.3dcool.com/product_info.php?products_id=1421

They have them is stock too I might have to pick one up
    Yeah, that's the one. However, that's just extension to BigNG. Essentially, you need:

BigNG + SensorHub

You can connect the DDC rpm sensor cable to SensorHub flowmeter port and measure the coolant flow rate. Also, SensorHub is connected between ATX power switch and mainboard and that's how it works. In case of other pump, without rpm sensor cable, monitoring the coolant temperature will do the job also. Alternatively, you may introduce the flowmeter device for them, but they are simply too restrictive. A bit of warning though, T-balancer is advanced PWM/Analogue voltage control device and much more than just emergency switch off. People who are looking for just emergency switch off solutions, may look somewhere else. By the way, did anyone tried to connect the DDC rpm sensor cable to motherboard or some other fan controlling device, which has the ability to automatically power off the PC?

My wc PC is running 24x7 (as it's hosting some Internet content as well) so I really can't afford situation that pump dies and PC is unattended

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by The_NamelessOne
    cirthix, i have exactly the same problem with a ddc ultra, once it starts..it never stops, but sometimes it doesn't start...the last time it did so...
    ... so it seems that it's epidemic then, if ultra is having the same problem. Really strange. Is this matter maybe PSU related ?

Banned
    we really can't say its PSU specific, i also had my 7800GS killed by not properly starting ddc(stalling), slipped on the stock air cooler and RMAed it just 3 weeks ago and got a replacement last week...

maybe like marci said in another thread about some faulty batch issued of ddc...
    some won't start but you notice it would have a warm bottom
    some stalls after a while, (once woke up 4am found it stalled during a leak test cause it was like diagonal and not flat to case floor, but after on/off and putting it flat, started nice and proper)

i got my ddc 18w from radiical last july...

Xtreme Member
    Your cpus should be overheating before your gpus... You sure it's not just a bad card? You got ramsinks and direct cooling on video card? I like AC pumps and relays better then DC pumps. Never had a problem with Eheim, and really AC is more convenient.
    DFI NF4 SLI DR Expert, 3800+ NewCastle/ Apogee, OCZ VX Gold pc4000, EVGA 6800gs, 2 Maxtor 300GB 16MB 6b300so, Audigy2, Ocz Modstream 550W, Win2K SP4.
    DFI NF4 SLI DR, 170 Opty CCBWE 0544xpmw/ DD TDX, OCZ Pc4000 EB Platinum, 2 BFG 7800gtx SLI, Audigy2zs, 2x 74GB raptor 10K RAID 0, Ocz powerstream 520W, Ocz Modstream 450W, Win XP SP2.

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by DVL73
    By the way, did anyone tried to connect the DDC rpm sensor cable to motherboard or some other fan controlling device, which has the ability to automatically power off the PC?
    I'm going to try that with my new build. Any idea how to verify that it works without yanking the 12V plug from the pump while the PC is running?
    Heatware: 50-0-0
    Quote Originally Posted by Charile
    I believe that GWB, who may NOT be the best overclocking CPU in the tray...
    Quote Originally Posted by -thc-(cZ) View Post
    oh c'mon, maxxx, kick that cat of that monitor and have it poop for you

Hamster Powered
    Quote Originally Posted by thunderstruck!
    I'm going to try that with my new build. Any idea how to verify that it works without yanking the 12V plug from the pump while the PC is running?
    Just pull the sensor (tach) wire loose from the motherboard and see what happens.
    XSWCG Disclaimer:
    We are not responsible for the large sums of money that you WILL want to spend to upgrade and add additional equipment. This is an addiction and the forum takes no responsibility morally or financially for the equipment and therapy cost. Thank you and have a great day.

Sigmund Freud said... "Failure to CRUNCH is a sign of Sexual Inadequacies".

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Thats precisely why I had to find a flow meter. It restricts my flow to about 3L min but my system wont even get into bios if the pump stops. 0-flow = shut down after start. Takes less than 3seconds. between power button and shut down. So no real time to overheat.
    My pc: |||Abit AL8-V||| P4 631@4.6ghz||| 4x512 PDP pc2-4200@4-4-4-12 2.0v|||1x250gb WD 16mb sata||| 6600gt 500/1000@ 610/1240||| TDK dvd burner||| watercooled cpu and gpu and custom moded case.

Project Hard Lined

Banned
    Your cpus should be overheating before your gpus... You sure it's not just a bad card? You got ramsinks and direct cooling on video card? I like AC pumps and relays better then DC pumps. Never had a problem with Eheim, and really AC is more convenient.
    yes the CPU RBX copper base was very hot to touch, but CPU is still running fine after cooling down, but GPU 7800GS was not, plenty of granules/garbage on my screen... (this could still boot but with half the screen being garbage, whats the point)

as to auto shutdown feature, i think this would depend on the mobo used...
    am using old S478 mobo which does not have said function...
    currently no budget for better rig, cause i am expecting my first child come xmas/new year... the missus would kill me for other expenses not related to the baby...