Thread: Gigabyte DS3 + ZM-NBF47 = good idea?

Xtreme Member

Gigabyte DS3 + ZM-NBF47 = good idea?

Anyone have any idea if that new zalman passive northbridge hs will be an improvement over the stock one (assuming it fits) ....

ZM-NBF47 - that one.

Xtreme Member
    Probably the same or even worse. I think that NB on DS3 needs at least active cooling as TT Extreme Spirit or even better. Water.
    Gigabyte 890GPA-UD3H
    AMD Phenom II X6 1055T
    Kingston HyperX 2x2GB DDR1600
    Asus A5770 1GB
    ***CPU & GPU H2O cooled***

Xtreme Member
    It ships with passive cooling, and this zalman gets great reviews...

Xtreme Member
    I don't know, try and then post here. Somebody has to try and let others to know. I'll get TT Extreme Spirit tommorow so I hope that I could OC a little more.
    Gigabyte 890GPA-UD3H
    AMD Phenom II X6 1055T
    Kingston HyperX 2x2GB DDR1600
    Asus A5770 1GB
    ***CPU & GPU H2O cooled***

Xtreme Member
    Alright, I probably will and post back here, meanwhile anyone who has tried please post results...

Xtreme Enthusiast
    I ordered it

Xtreme Member
    frozencpu = 12.50 shipped! not bad at all. $2.50 shipping, no tax for CA

Quote Originally Posted by norse
    Alright, I probably will and post back here, meanwhile anyone who has tried please post results...
    I know someone you can ask:

Quote Originally Posted by Alvin_ti4200

The Mushkin RAMs are not mine, the test was done with an 1 GB DDR2-667 A-Data module @ 858 MHz (CL5-5-5-15 @ 2.0V).

The CPU VCore is real in the picture Yes, under default

My ventilation is bad in the case, but I don't bother I try to catch one pair of Geil Value DDR2-800 RAMs in some days. I think it's a nice run 0.05V under the default voltage and 60% over default clock
    Here is the link to the thread:
    http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/....php?p=1654429

Xtreme Member
    excellent, thank you very much

Xtreme Member
    I'm using one on my DS3 purely because it looks good on the board
    That and that I had one lying around
    Rehabilitation for memory addicts

Intel Core 2 Duo E6300 ES | Gigabyte GA-965P-DS3 | Thermalright XP90C | 2 x 512MB Corsair XMS5400UL | 256MB GeCube x1800xl

Xtreme Member
    Temp difference from stock?

Xtreme Member
    ZM-NBF47 cannot be worse than stock ;] for sure, the stock one is so big but zalman had more fins (or whatever its called)
    E6300 [4oo x 7] 1.15V, DS3 F5 50mm@5V, 2x512 GoodRam PRO D9, Ninja+ 120mm auto

This MB does not like my graphic card had to cheat it with a VGA PCI 1MB...

|| nVidia 76ooGS Galaxy Zalman Edition 1.2ns - [64o/815]
    || Creative Audigy2 @ Audigy4 + T6o6o // DVD-RW Pioneer DVR-11oD // 25oGB Hitachi
    || Sharkoon SilentStorm SHA48o-9A 48oW // MX61o, ImageQuest Q91o...

GigaByte DS3 FAQ by CrazyJohn
    GigaByte DS3, DS4, DQ6 MEMORY thread by CrazyJohn

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by norse
    Temp difference from stock?
    going by easytune software it would probably be minimal 1-2 degrees at best idle
    Rehabilitation for memory addicts

Intel Core 2 Duo E6300 ES | Gigabyte GA-965P-DS3 | Thermalright XP90C | 2 x 512MB Corsair XMS5400UL | 256MB GeCube x1800xl

I have a DS3 and a fan controller with remote temperature probes. The stock northbridge heatsink gets up to 75C! I actually had to put the probe somewhere else because my fan controller temperature alarm kept going off and its max alarm setting is 70C.

The non-cpu temperature you see in various programs is the southbridge I suspect. That doesn't get nearly as hot.

My Scythe Ninja overhangs the northbridge slightly so that limits my cooling options. I decided to not worry about it. I'll have faith in gigabyte's engineering. I haven't heard of many mobos dying because of cooked northbridges, and I haven't been having stability problems.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by ArcTan
    going by easytune software it would probably be minimal 1-2 degrees at best idle
    And what temp would you be going off of? As far as i know most of these boards like the DS3 have no NB temp sensor.

I dont know about you guys but when I set my DS3 at 450fsb and run dual prime my NB starts to glow and then sparks start flying out the sides!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Dase
    My Scythe Ninja overhangs the northbridge slightly so that limits my cooling options. I decided to not worry about it. I'll have faith in gigabyte's engineering. I haven't heard of many mobos dying because of cooked northbridges, and I haven't been having stability problems.
    Sorry, but this makes me laugh. A lot. For one, the results people have gotten around here with new NB coolers should be enough to tell you that "having faith in gigabyte's engineering" isn't the best plan if you are overclocking. Hell just taking off the cooler and putting on some AS5 or something similar makes a huge difference, because the stock TIM sucks. Hard.

And these mobos haven't been out for a month even. Of course they aren't dying due to NB problems yet. It's far too early to make that judgement call.

P.S. This cooler fits perfectly with the Ninja:
    http://www.frozencpu.com/vid-64.html?id=6BPAidzf I'm definately glad I purchased one.

Quote Originally Posted by korruptedone
    Sorry, but this makes me laugh. A lot. For one, the results people have gotten around here with new NB coolers should be enough to tell you that "having faith in gigabyte's engineering" isn't the best plan if you are overclocking. Hell just taking off the cooler and putting on some AS5 or something similar makes a huge difference, because the stock TIM sucks. Hard.
    Thanks for the link to the heatsink, but personally, I'm not going to spend $36 to cool the chipset on a low-end mobo. Granted, at $150 it wasn't necessarily cheap, but few of the Core2Duo mobos are yet. My FSB is only at 360, and my e6600's voltage requirements (1.475, ouch) is limiting my overclock more than my northbridge temp might be.

I agree that the northbridge could use better cooling, but on some level (and I doubt it was chance), Gigabyte (most likely following Intel 965 chipset thermal dissipation specs) considered the DS3 stock northbridge cooling to be sufficient. Besides, generally speaking, are the stock 965 cooling solutions on other mobos that much better? It doesn't seem be just Gigabyte and the DS3 that went with passive cooling. It's not in the mobo manufacturer interests to have a bunch of RMAs due to heat from inadequate cooling designs killing their mobos.

For my purposes, the stock northbridge cooling is good enough for me. I'm sure better cooling will help some people. If I thought it would make my system faster, I would consider getting better northbridge cooling too, but I doubt it would make a difference in my particular e6600's overclockability.

Xtreme Member
    i stuck a 50mm fan on my NB and when dual priming it still gets smoking hot. Oh and my OC didn't change at all with active cooling. Although it makes me sleep better at night :-)

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dase
    Gigabyte (most likely following Intel 965 chipset thermal dissipation specs) considered the DS3 stock northbridge cooling to be sufficient.
    Not for 450MHz FSB... And Gigabyte is in business to make money, not to provide us with amazing cooling solutions on moderately priced motherboards that maybe 5% TOPS of the users will need. (Only that high because most normal users won't even have this board)

Xtreme Addict
    I just superglued a 40mm on mine. It had no problem with 450 on the bus, but the little bugger got hot! Lookin' at the jing ting...pricey for such a small amount of copper tho.