Page 10 of 65 FirstFirst ... 789101112132060 ... LastLast

Thread: nForce 790i SLI/Ultra chipset mobos - Reviews/OC/Guides

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by funkflix View Post
    Anyone here with a vmodded GTS or better two on a 790i board? I have some strange things going on here..

I'm 100% sure that both GTS are set to 1.333V idle before i put them on to the XFX board(tested on P35 and AMD 790FX), but now i measure just 1.118V in idle on both cards.. When i disable the mods then i measure just 0.996V in idle, thats less then the default specification for the GTS.

Hope someone can help me here!

Edit: Problem was a empty battery on my one DMM..
    Many problems with your XFX 790i card? Thinking about bying the same one my self you see.

Someone who knows how the Striker II 790i bord works? More stable than the 780i version?

What about the temperatures?
    My gaming rig

Core i7 920 C0/C1@ 2.66 Ghz
    6gb Corsair Dominator 1600mhz
    2xClub3D HD 4890 in CrossfireX
    DFI LP UT T3eH8
    Lian Li PC-V2100B PlusII
    MIST 1000w
    LG W2600HP-BF
    Samsung Spinpoint F1 1TB

Water cooling system

MCR-320 and MCR-220
    D-Tek Fuzion V1
    7/16" ID 5/8" OD
    MCP-655

Quote Originally Posted by funkflix View Post
    Anyone here with a vmodded GTS or better two on a 790i board? I have some strange things going on here..

I'm 100% sure that both GTS are set to 1.333V idle before i put them on to the XFX board(tested on P35 and AMD 790FX), but now i measure just 1.118V in idle on both cards.. When i disable the mods then i measure just 0.996V in idle, thats less then the default specification for the GTS.

Hope someone can help me here!

Edit: Problem was a empty battery on my one DMM..
    Is your problem resolved then??

What online stores are selling this board in the usa?

Xtreme Cruncher
    Quote Originally Posted by OBR View Post
    I have maped FSB holes on nF680/780 Asus Striker, Striker II Formula but on this nf790 there are not usual holes like before (400mhz for example) , i can set any FSB without problem ..... my OC is 550MHz without holes, but i am testing only 45nm cpus ... 65nm Kensfield cannot to be overclocked, in BIOS is some problem ...
    Anyone else have this problem with Kentsfield? Has this been fixed? Thanks.

Xtreme 3DTeam Member
    Quote Originally Posted by k|ngp|n View Post
    Is your problem resolved then??
    Yeah. Thanks a lot for your responce anyway! My one GTS just suck.. Does only 848MHz..
    PC : Asrock Z68 Extreme3 Gen3 + Intel Core i5 i2500k + 2 x Asus HD6870 DirectCU + 2x2GB PC12800 G.Skill Eco 7-8-7-24 + Creative X-Fi Titanium PCIe + Scythe Mugen 3.
    Digicam : Pentax *istDL2 + Pentax smc DA 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 AL + Cosina F3.5/100mm Makro.
    Heimkino : Samsung LE-46B450 FullHD + Arion AF-4000HDCI + Onkyo TX-SR505E + Quadral Quintas 5.0 + Heco Victa 25A.

Quote Originally Posted by stickybz View Post
    Hi

Is anyone running 4Gb DDR3 1800Mhz on this board. Have 2Gb OCZ 1800 with asus 790i ultra, but thought read somewhere is problem with 4X1Gb modules @1800??!!
    The 790i only supports 1801+ in the two black slots. IOW only two sticks of any speed over 1800 are supported.
    Asus Rampage Formula
    Intel Core2Quad QX9650 @ 3.3GHz
    Corsair H50
    GSkill 4x2GB DDR2 F2-8000CL5D-4GBPQ @ 5-5-5-12
    Corsair 750HX 750W PSU
    Sapphire Vapor-X Radeon HD 5870
    AuzenTech AZT-FORTE X-Fi Forte
    Audio-Technica ATH-A700 Headphones
    Intel X25-M G2 160GB SSD
    ASUS DRW-2014L1T
    Corsair Obsidian 800D
    Microsoft Windows 7 x64

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by LockBreaker View Post
    Many problems with your XFX 790i card? Thinking about bying the same one my self you see.

Someone who knows how the Striker II 790i bord works? More stable than the 780i version?

What about the temperatures?
    I'm currently having a lot of trouble getting the Striker II Extreme to run with any FSB overclock over 350... the system passes all the torture tests with flying colours, 7+ hours ORTHOS blend, 2 hours OCCT Mix. But then the system randomly shuts down, BSOD, programs randomly terminates, and especially likely when running 3DMark06, PCMark Vantage and shutting down the PC. Latest BIOS and relaxing the memory timing don't help, raising all voltages made it even worse... Very disappointed.

I have since ordered a EVGA 790i Ultra as replacement until better BIOS fix the Asus Mobo..

Quote Originally Posted by creidiki View Post
    We are a band of fearless modern-day alchemists who, for fun, run solutions through sophisticated, if overpriced, separator setups, and then complain when we succeed in separating said solution.

Question,
    My online store have got a few evga 790i in stock tonite! They also have the Asus 790i in stock soon. Can't make up my mind about the two, same price on the boards. Need some help making a decision.
    Thanks
    Jan

Quote Originally Posted by nordicdiver View Post
    Question,
    My online store have got a few evga 790i in stock tonite! They also have the Asus 790i in stock soon. Can't make up my mind about the two, same price on the boards. Need some help making a decision.
    Thanks
    Jan
    evga 790i all the way!!!!
    Q6600 G0 L734B252 @2.4
    EVGA 790I
    TR 120 extreme+120mm s-flex fan
    looking for DDR3 MEMORY!!
    2x 150 raptors raid 0 + 4X500'S WD SATA II RAID 0
    2 BFG 8800 OC GT'S IN SLI
    x3 ultra 1k psu
    dell 24" widescreen
    5.1 logitech 500 watt
    Lian Li PC-V2000B PLUS II Aluminum Full Tower Case with Custom Full View Window

Xtreme Member
    But check out this blog post from FCG over at anandtech: 500 fsb stable on yorkfield, Asus 790i (plus 2000 mhz with 8gb of ram).

http://www.anandtech.com/weblog/showpost.aspx?i=419
    2600K | Maximus IV Formula | 12G Corsair 1600 C8 | 2x 6950 | Coolermaster Scout

Xtreme Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by eternal_fantasy View Post
    I'm currently having a lot of trouble getting the Striker II Extreme to run with any FSB overclock over 350... the system passes all the torture tests with flying colours, 7+ hours ORTHOS blend, 2 hours OCCT Mix. But then the system randomly shuts down, BSOD, programs randomly terminates, and especially likely when running 3DMark06, PCMark Vantage and shutting down the PC. Latest BIOS and relaxing the memory timing don't help, raising all voltages made it even worse... Very disappointed.

I have since ordered a EVGA 790i Ultra as replacement until better BIOS fix the Asus Mobo..
    what the heck
    are you sure it updated properly >> try clearing cmos and battery for a few hours

OBR was ing all the way to eternity until he flashed to the latest bios and then everything improved enormously
    Team.AU
    Got tube?
    GIGABYTE Australia
    Need a GIGABYTE bios or support?

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Aivas47a View Post
    But check out this blog post from FCG over at anandtech: 500 fsb stable on yorkfield, Asus 790i (plus 2000 mhz with 8gb of ram).

http://www.anandtech.com/weblog/showpost.aspx?i=419
    Just had a read through... The results seem mighty impressive. However until they post their BIOS settings and I'm able to duplicate their results, I remain skeptical to the Asus S2E.

Quote Originally Posted by dinos22 View Post
    what the heck
    are you sure it updated properly >> try clearing cmos and battery for a few hours

OBR was ing all the way to eternity until he flashed to the latest bios and then everything improved enormously
    I am using the latest BIOS I could find, version 0507, and at stock setting it is 100% stable. I am reluctant to reset the CMOS, as every time I do that I have to disassemble my watercooling, replace my QX9650 with a Core2Duo, take out a stick of ram just for the system to POST and increase the ram voltage. And trust me, I have done it enough times to streamline the whole process.

The problem I find is that everywhere people are reporting that their reference 790i are overclocking demons, and very little voltage has to be raised to achieve 450-500Mhz FSB, where most are set to AUTO.

That is VERY far from what the Asus S2E is doing... after you run hours of torture tests, are are happy with its stability, it BSOD on you launching a web browser, a game, or restarting the PC.

I am currently running the system with 333FSB, 12x Multi, and 909 Mem. 100% stable.

We are a band of fearless modern-day alchemists who, for fun, run solutions through sophisticated, if overpriced, separator setups, and then complain when we succeed in separating said solution.

Xtreme Legend
    that's shocking (are you sure you are not over tightening your waterblock) >> talking about your bios clearing issues aside from other stuff eek

i don't think you'll have those issues with reference boards to be honest unless you are overtightening or something

you also don't need to be too clever when OCing as nvidia engineers have some some good ground work to improve OCing and make it very easy .> leave volts at auto (only set vcore/vdimm) and let it rip
    Team.AU
    Got tube?
    GIGABYTE Australia

Xtreme Enthusiast
    that's shocking (are you sure you are not over tightening your waterblock) >> talking about your bios clearing issues aside from other stuff eek

i don't think you'll have those issues with reference boards to be honest unless you are overtightening or something
    Thats what I hope with the EVGA I've ordered, and the waterblock is spring pressured and with back plate so not much stress on the Mobo.

you also don't need to be too clever when OCing as nvidia engineers have some some good ground work to improve OCing and make it very easy .> leave volts at auto (only set vcore/vdimm) and let it rip
    On auto was the first thing I did on the Asus board reading all those posts on how its ability to control the volts is awsome, but no go on the Asus. The pinnicle of its stability was with upped Core/vdimm and VTT, with the rest on auto. Hope the EVGA will be much better in that reguard.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    @ Eternal, are you sure it's not your RAM. I kinda vividly remember seeing some post about 790i and cellshocks not working well together here @ XS.

Xtreme Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by tekjunkie View Post
    @ Eternal, are you sure it's not your RAM. I kinda vividly remember seeing some post about 790i and cellshocks not working well together here @ XS.
    even after cmos clear though
    Team.AU
    Got tube?
    GIGABYTE Australia

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by tekjunkie View Post
    Don't take it the wrong way me quoting myself, but here it is;

I am using the latest BIOS I could find, version 0507, and at stock setting it is 100% stable...

....I am currently running the system with 333FSB, 12x Multi, and 909 Mem. 100% stable.
    Also if CellShock don't work with 790i... it will cause havoc here in Xtremesys, as from what I can see almost 1 in 3 DDR3 memory here are CellShock branded.

edit: Also note that the board is absolutely flawless. At its default settings, that is. It is another story once overclocked.
    Last edited by eternal_fantasy; 03-24-2008 at 09:28 PM.

The problem is that it will not post the cellshock at all, the workaround (this was for the EVGA 790i anyway, dunno about the Asus) is to use crap DDR3 RAM, POST, set RAM volts up to cellshock supported, then swap in cellshock. I get my crucial crap kit tomorrow to try for myself. Sonofander was the one who is running the cellshock withe the EVGA, and IIRC he is running it at 500MHz FSB.
    lupy is as lupy does

Xtreme Legend
    must be something in cellshock SPD cause i have no issues with corsairs
    Team.AU
    Got tube?
    GIGABYTE Australia

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by canislupy View Post
    The problem is that it will not post the cellshock at all, the workaround (this was for the EVGA 790i anyway, dunno about the Asus) is to use crap DDR3 RAM, POST, set RAM volts up to cellshock supported, then swap in cellshock. I get my crucial crap kit tomorrow to try for myself. Sonofander was the one who is running the cellshock withe the EVGA, and IIRC he is running it at 500MHz FSB.
    Oh yeah I also have that problem after a CMOS reset, as mentioned previously. However once the voltage is set the memory runs flawlessly.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    must be something in cellshock SPD cause i have no issues with corsairs
    Exactly. In the CellShock the SPD is set to 1800Mhz 8-7-6-21, 1.5V...

edit typo
    Last edited by eternal_fantasy; 03-24-2008 at 09:39 PM.

Xtreme Legend
    Exactly. In the CellShock the SPD is set to 1800Mgz 8-7-6-21, 1.5V...
    well that makes sense now heheheh

does SPD tool work with DDR3?
    you could edit the timings to 9-9-9-24
    Team.AU
    Got tube?
    GIGABYTE Australia

Those wacky Germans....
    lupy is as lupy does

Xtreme Addict
    Does anybody know if PC3-8500 (1066) memory work on the 790i board or do I really have to get PC3-1333 or better?
    Asus Rampage II Gene, Xeon W3550 D0 Mushkin PC3-2000 6GB, BFG 9600GT OC 512MB DDR3
    Asus A8N32-SLI Deluxe 1.01G, AMD A64 4000+, 2x1GB Ultra PC-3200, EVGA 7600GT 256MB DDR3
    Asus MA378-T with AMD Athlon 64 X2 7850
    ECS 945GCT-M/1333 v3.0, Intel Celeron E1400, MSI 8500GT 256MB DDR3
    BIOStar P4M900-M7 Rev. 7.0, Intel Celeron 440, 1GB Kingston, 6600LE
    Gigabyte M61PME-S2P with AMD Athlon 64 LE-1660, EVGA 8500GT 1GB DDR2

Xtreme Enthusiast
    well that makes sense now heheheh

does SPD tool work with DDR3?
    you could edit the timings to 9-9-9-24
    Don't know, as it wont run under Vista 64-bit

Page 10 of 65 FirstFirst ... 789101112132060 ... LastLast