Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 51 to 75 of 76

Thread: Old Memory Latency Timings

  1. #51
    I am Xtreme
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Australia! :)
    Posts
    6,099
    Quote Originally Posted by AudioMan612 View Post
    I got mine for $310 lol. It's going to be a ways off until I can afford a new build, so I'm just going to max this thing out for now. I need a new laptop now that I'm going to college anyway. I'm going to finally install the new 3.4EE tomorrow.

    It will probably still be a few months until I get new memory, so do you guys think I could safely take mine above 2.7v? I could install a fan with rubber bands as you stated. I was thinking of doing something like that.
    u paid $310 for ur 34EE??

    2.7V is fine - perfectly safe - esp. if u put a fan on the RAM
    DNA = Design Not Accident
    DNA = Darwin Not Accurate

    heatware / ebay
    HARDWARE I only own Xeons, Extreme Editions & Lian Li's
    https://prism-break.org/

  2. #52
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    California, USA
    Posts
    52
    Yeah. Man the same seller let one go for $235 on eBay on the night of my highschool graduation back in June. I got home about 20 minutes after the auction ended. I was shocked to see the price and disappointed that I couldn't bid on it lol.

    Well I havn't messed with the memory lately, however I did install the 3.4Ghz EE. Well, actually a friend of mine did. He wanted to learn how to install a cpu and since I was upgrading mine, I figured I might as well let him do it. To my shock, it booted up without a hitch (I've come to expect my motherboard to not do things right). It looks like something might not have gone right in the setting of the cooler however. I'm running at about 45° idle and 55° under full load. I'm not using crappy cooling equipment either... Thermaltake Spark 7+ Xaser Edition cooler and OCZ Freeze Extreme thermal material. Perhaps there was too much or not enough of the thermal material put on. I guess I'm going to have to reseat the cooler. I wonder if I could fit a nice Zalman cooler in here. That heatsink near the northbridge makes me have doubts about the CNPS7500-CU (as well as adding a nicer northbridge fan such as the Thermaltake Extreme Spirit II or the CoolJag Falcon Mini) and I havn't measured the distance from my motherboard to the fan on my case window to see if the CNPS9500A would fit... That Thermaltake cooler is pretty nice, but oh man is it loud...

  3. #53
    I am Xtreme
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Australia! :)
    Posts
    6,099
    does that TT cpu cooler have heatpipes?

    I have the TT ESII on the NB of my s478 mobo - highly recommended!

    ur temps are actually normal iirc
    DNA = Design Not Accident
    DNA = Darwin Not Accurate

    heatware / ebay
    HARDWARE I only own Xeons, Extreme Editions & Lian Li's
    https://prism-break.org/

  4. #54
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    California, USA
    Posts
    52
    No it doesn't have heatpipes. I wish I could tell if I could fit in one of those nice Zalmans...



    You can see some other pictures here: http://www.geek.com/thermaltake-spark-7-xaser-edition/

    I've read that the Extreme Spirit II can be a bit of a pain to install, but then again, that was on systems that didn't use the older clip style mounting. That CoolJag Mini looks kind of nice, not to mention unique, especially with that green lighting.



    Again, this stupid heatsink next to the northbridge makes me have doubts about whether a nicer CPU/Northbridge cooler will fit:



    I was thinking my temperatures were normal, but I've read people getting idles in the upper 30s... They must've had better cooling equpment than I have lol. I really wouldn't mind bringing them down a bit...

  5. #55
    I am Xtreme
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Australia! :)
    Posts
    6,099
    Quote Originally Posted by AudioMan612 View Post
    No it doesn't have heatpipes. I wish I could tell if I could fit in one of those nice Zalmans...



    You can see some other pictures here: http://www.geek.com/thermaltake-spark-7-xaser-edition/

    I've read that the Extreme Spirit II can be a bit of a pain to install, but then again, that was on systems that didn't use the older clip style mounting. That CoolJag Mini looks kind of nice, not to mention unique, especially with that green lighting.



    Again, this stupid heatsink next to the northbridge makes me have doubts about whether a nicer CPU/Northbridge cooler will fit:



    I was thinking my temperatures were normal, but I've read people getting idles in the upper 30s... They must've had better cooling equpment than I have lol. I really wouldn't mind bringing them down a bit...
    u'd have to be pretty un-co to find the TT-ESII hard to install

    is.. is that a chipset cool!? thats got like 3 heatpipes!! if it is a chipset cooler - yeah, I can see where ur concern comes from - it does look/probably huge

    if u got the TT-ESII, u could install it in such a way that the finned/raised section is in a position closer to the AGP slot & thus away from the CPU area just an idea

    it does sound a wee bit puzzling with the temps u mentioned from other ppl.. *maybe* I cant remember my idle temps - its been a while since i've had the 34EE together & running - but i'm about 80% sure thats what they were: ~45C idle, ~55C load.. I have the stock intel heatsink - but it does have a copper core & used AS5 as TIM
    DNA = Design Not Accident
    DNA = Darwin Not Accurate

    heatware / ebay
    HARDWARE I only own Xeons, Extreme Editions & Lian Li's
    https://prism-break.org/

  6. #56
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    California, USA
    Posts
    52
    I didn't think it looks very hard to install, but some people who did professional reviews had to remount it a few times. Whatever, that doesn't scare me.

    That chipset cooler is pretty epic huh? I really wouldn't mind trying one, but I don't have the money to blow on things that I don't know will work. Barely anyone sells that thing...

    I'm not worried about it bumping the cpu (unless I get a large cooler). I'm more worried about that stupid heatsink next to the northbridge, although it looks like it wouldn't cause a problem with the mounts on that Extreme Spirit II...

    The temperatures are understandable considering the cpu, but still, considering its operating range rating tops out at 63° C, I wouldn't mind bringing it down a bit. It makes my fan so loud. Stupid thing runs around 43dB at full speed lol.
    Last edited by AudioMan612; 07-18-2008 at 02:19 AM.

  7. #57
    I am Xtreme
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Australia! :)
    Posts
    6,099
    Quote Originally Posted by AudioMan612 View Post
    I didn't think it looked very hard to install, but some people who did professional reviews had to remount it a few times. Whatever, that doesn't scare me.

    That chipset cooler is pretty epic huh? I really wouldn't mind trying one, but I don't have the money to blow on things that I don't know will work. Barely anyone sells that thing...

    I'm not worried about it bumping the cpu (unless I get a large cooler). I'm more worried about that stupid heatsink next to the northbridge, although it looks like it wouldn't cause a problem with the mounts on that Extreme Spirit II...

    The temperatures are understandable considering the cpu, but still, considering its operating range rating tops out at 63° C, I wouldn't mind bringing it down a bit. It makes my fan so loud. Stupid thing runs around 43dB at full speed lol.
    epic indeed!
    u got me interested in one now u.. u.. where can u buy them from?

    what is that weird heatsink near the NB anyway?
    DNA = Design Not Accident
    DNA = Darwin Not Accurate

    heatware / ebay
    HARDWARE I only own Xeons, Extreme Editions & Lian Li's
    https://prism-break.org/

  8. #58
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    California, USA
    Posts
    52
    If you get one I demand to know how you like it!

    Just check around for a CoolJag Falcon Mini (beware, you'll get a lot of results for the Falcon 92 CU and AL coolers).

    I don't know if this well help you in Australia, but here are some things I found:

    http://www.heatsinkfactory.com/coolj...et-cooler.html
    http://www.jab-tech.com/product.php?productid=4134
    http://www.nowdirect.com/exec/partIn...UFALCON%20MINI

    I found a really good review on that cooler once, but I can't seem to find it now...

    I have no clue what that heatsink is for. It doesn't look like it's near anything that could use cooling such as capacitors or mosfets. Maybe its just to absorb the exhaust from the cpu and northbride coolers and stop it from spreading?

  9. #59
    I am Xtreme
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Australia! :)
    Posts
    6,099
    Quote Originally Posted by AudioMan612 View Post
    If you get one I demand to know how you like it!

    Just check around for a CoolJag Falcon Mini (beware, you'll get a lot of results for the Falcon 92 CU and AL coolers).

    I don't know if this well help you in Australia, but here are some things I found:

    http://www.heatsinkfactory.com/coolj...et-cooler.html
    http://www.jab-tech.com/product.php?productid=4134
    http://www.nowdirect.com/exec/partIn...UFALCON%20MINI

    I found a really good review on that cooler once, but I can't seem to find it now...

    I have no clue what that heatsink is for. It doesn't look like it's near anything that could use cooling such as capacitors or mosfets. Maybe its just to absorb the exhaust from the cpu and northbride coolers and stop it from spreading?
    thanks man!
    jabtech is my best bet out of that list
    I cant say for sure *if* & *when* & i'll buy it - but if I do, i'll definitely let u know!

    how is that odd heatsink attached to ur mobo? u got any pics of the mobo - maybe from a review? maybe theres a chance u can use some aftermarket heatsink for it as well i'm thinking along the lines of enzotechs line of copper coolers - they have a good selection of chipset & bga ram coolers, all copper, some are low profile - ideas to tinker with

    DNA = Design Not Accident
    DNA = Darwin Not Accurate

    heatware / ebay
    HARDWARE I only own Xeons, Extreme Editions & Lian Li's
    https://prism-break.org/

  10. #60
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    California, USA
    Posts
    52
    It would probably take you a minute to find a picture... Though I imagine you're quite busy. You've done more than enough anyway . Hell, you're more active here than I was on the Steam forums a year and a half ago...

    Hey look at that, it is a mosfet cooler.


  11. #61
    I am Xtreme
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Australia! :)
    Posts
    6,099
    Quote Originally Posted by AudioMan612 View Post
    It would probably take you a minute to find a picture... Though I imagine you're quite busy. You've done more than enough anyway . Hell, you're more active here than I was on the Steam forums a year and a half ago...

    Hey look at that, it is a mosfet cooler.

    its looks as tho the mosfet is mounted 90o to the mobo - that aint gonna help if u wanna mount an aftermarket heatsink

    what a whack design!

    yeah.. judging by the pic (thanks to the diff angle) it looks as tho it sits pretty darn close to the NB cooler - that falcon mini would definitely be a bit of a gamble

    DNA = Design Not Accident
    DNA = Darwin Not Accurate

    heatware / ebay
    HARDWARE I only own Xeons, Extreme Editions & Lian Li's
    https://prism-break.org/

  12. #62
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    California, USA
    Posts
    52
    Don't you like how off topic we've gotten? It's been a while now since I've messed with my memory timings lol. Actually, every time I've checked eBay I've found a few of those XMS Pro sticks I want.

  13. #63
    I am Xtreme
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Australia! :)
    Posts
    6,099
    Quote Originally Posted by AudioMan612 View Post
    Don't you like how off topic we've gotten? It's been a while now since I've messed with my memory timings lol. Actually, every time I've checked eBay I've found a few of those XMS Pro sticks I want.
    - hey, its your thread
    have u bid on any yet?

    DNA = Design Not Accident
    DNA = Darwin Not Accurate

    heatware / ebay
    HARDWARE I only own Xeons, Extreme Editions & Lian Li's
    https://prism-break.org/

  14. #64
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    California, USA
    Posts
    52
    Remember what I said a while back about money? I'm trying to get a job at the moment. On top of that, my parents will complain if I spend too much lol.

  15. #65
    I am Xtreme
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Australia! :)
    Posts
    6,099
    Quote Originally Posted by AudioMan612 View Post
    Remember what I said a while back about money? I'm trying to get a job at the moment. On top of that, my parents will complain if I spend too much lol.
    aahhh thats right, my bad hehe

    have u tried anything RE: the 400gb hdd? or is the rats nest of cables still putting u off?

    DNA = Design Not Accident
    DNA = Darwin Not Accurate

    heatware / ebay
    HARDWARE I only own Xeons, Extreme Editions & Lian Li's
    https://prism-break.org/

  16. #66
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    California, USA
    Posts
    52
    Yeah the rats nest is still putting me off, as it has for 4 years now. Maybe I'll play around with it some time soon. I've been kind of busy applying for jobs, and on top of that, since this is the summer after my senior year of high school, I'm trying to hang out with a lot of people I know who I may not see again for a long time (if ever).

    Check out the lighting on this Super Talent active memory cooler.

    http://reviews.pcapex.com/cooling/im...oler-video.wmv

  17. #67
    I am Xtreme
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Australia! :)
    Posts
    6,099
    Quote Originally Posted by AudioMan612 View Post
    I'm trying to hang out with a lot of people I know who I may not see again for a long time (if ever).
    hey thats really important - hell what are u doing here 'talking' to me

    totally understandable - & u definitely got ur priorities right!
    DNA = Design Not Accident
    DNA = Darwin Not Accurate

    heatware / ebay
    HARDWARE I only own Xeons, Extreme Editions & Lian Li's
    https://prism-break.org/

  18. #68
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    California, USA
    Posts
    52
    No I don't or I wouldn't be up at 4 in the morning when I'm seeing the new Batman movie twice with two different groups of friends tomorrow lol. I should just add you on MSN and stop posting this idle chat. This is starting to look like an IM conversation...except I'm using proper grammar lol. Actually IMing is the only place where I don't use proper grammer. I always have on forums, and since I got my LG Voyager with a full QWERTY (God that's fun to type) keyboard, I've even been using it on text messaging.

  19. #69
    I am Xtreme
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Australia! :)
    Posts
    6,099
    Quote Originally Posted by AudioMan612 View Post
    No I don't or I wouldn't be up at 4 in the morning when I'm seeing the new Batman movie twice with two different groups of friends tomorrow lol. I should just add you on MSN and stop posting this idle chat. This is starting to look like an IM conversation...except I'm using proper grammar lol. Actually IMing is the only place where I don't use proper grammer. I always have on forums, and since I got my LG Voyager with a full QWERTY (God that's fun to type) keyboard, I've even been using it on text messaging.
    go ahead - but be warned - i wont be there - havent got msn installed! - i gotta re-format this weekend *cough* having problems with windooze *cough*

    DNA = Design Not Accident
    DNA = Darwin Not Accurate

    heatware / ebay
    HARDWARE I only own Xeons, Extreme Editions & Lian Li's
    https://prism-break.org/

  20. #70
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    California, USA
    Posts
    52
    Hey I found that review on the CoolJag Falcon Mini. It has some good pictures of the beast:

    http://pcflip.com/reviews.php?view=rev&id=29

  21. #71
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    California, USA
    Posts
    52
    So it turns out there's a 3-3-3-8 variant of that XMS Pro ram. If I every to try get that memory, I have to make sure I don't get that version...

  22. #72
    I am Xtreme
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Australia! :)
    Posts
    6,099
    Quote Originally Posted by AudioMan612 View Post
    So it turns out there's a 3-3-3-8 variant of that XMS Pro ram. If I every to try get that memory, I have to make sure I don't get that version...
    why not? I know I know - lower timings is better - but Intel s478 was never *that* sensitive to timings - the performance increase was rather marginal


    DNA = Design Not Accident
    DNA = Darwin Not Accurate

    heatware / ebay
    HARDWARE I only own Xeons, Extreme Editions & Lian Li's
    https://prism-break.org/

  23. #73
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    California, USA
    Posts
    52
    Why should I pay all that money for standard timings? I know I love to fill my case with lights, but that just isn't worht it unless I get some good timings to go with it (eventhough I know that timings do not have that much of an effect on socket 478 systems).

  24. #74
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    California, USA
    Posts
    52
    Hey so I finally did some work on my system. My mouse acceleration randomly started changing itself lately and after trying every tweak in the Windows and Logitech control panels to restore it, I gave up and decided to reformat. I play a decent amount of Half-Life (yeah I'm still playing HLDM after five years ...although now I usually play HLDM:S), and could not deal with this mouse issue. I've been using the same mouse configuration for years so I quickly noticed the problem.

    Anyways, I'm getting off topic. I decided to try plugging in the hard drive, but the rat's nest of cables as you called it kind of got in the way. At this point, I decided to completely redo the wiring inside the computer to try to make it neater. Now nearly all of the power cables run down the right side of the case near the mothboard tray and there is pleny of room to work. The only are that is still a bit messy is the bottom, especially near the graphics card which comes very close to the first hard drive. After doing this, I realized that the usb header diagram that came with my mothboard was confusing, reversed my front usb connections, and finally got my front ports working after 4 years lol (boy was a greatful to have a hub built into my monitor ). Best of all, I decided to try plugging in the hard drive in the 2nd sata port again just to refresh my memory on its behavior, and it worked. I have no clue what went wrong the first time two years ago, but it looks like I'll finally be able to use my 400gb hard drive .

    Still havn't messed with the memory timings again :p.

  25. #75
    I am Xtreme
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Australia! :)
    Posts
    6,099
    Quote Originally Posted by AudioMan612 View Post
    Hey so I finally did some work on my system. My mouse acceleration randomly started changing itself lately and after trying every tweak in the Windows and Logitech control panels to restore it, I gave up and decided to reformat. I play a decent amount of Half-Life (yeah I'm still playing HLDM after five years ...although now I usually play HLDM:S), and could not deal with this mouse issue. I've been using the same mouse configuration for years so I quickly noticed the problem.

    Anyways, I'm getting off topic. I decided to try plugging in the hard drive, but the rat's nest of cables as you called it kind of got in the way. At this point, I decided to completely redo the wiring inside the computer to try to make it neater. Now nearly all of the power cables run down the right side of the case near the mothboard tray and there is pleny of room to work. The only are that is still a bit messy is the bottom, especially near the graphics card which comes very close to the first hard drive. After doing this, I realized that the usb header diagram that came with my mothboard was confusing, reversed my front usb connections, and finally got my front ports working after 4 years lol (boy was a greatful to have a hub built into my monitor ). Best of all, I decided to try plugging in the hard drive in the 2nd sata port again just to refresh my memory on its behavior, and it worked. I have no clue what went wrong the first time two years ago, but it looks like I'll finally be able to use my 400gb hard drive .

    Still havn't messed with the memory timings again :p.


    *yay* finally some good news - sweeeet

    DNA = Design Not Accident
    DNA = Darwin Not Accurate

    heatware / ebay
    HARDWARE I only own Xeons, Extreme Editions & Lian Li's
    https://prism-break.org/

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Bookmarks

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •