Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Any Vdimm mod for Abit KV8 Pro 1.1??

Xtreme Member

Any Vdimm mod for Abit KV8 Pro 1.1??

Well, I need an vdimm mod for my Abit KV8 Pro 1.1 because I want to get some OCZ Voltage Xtreme sticks and this board only do ~2.9v.
    I want to achieve 3.6-3.7v for vdimm, and do also the vtt mod, because I donĀ“t think that vtt will track vdimm in that limits...
    I have high-resolution photos of dimm slots of the board, if you need them to find the way to vmod it, tell me and IĀ“ll post it...

Xtreme Member
    Well, here are some pics of the dimm slots.
    I hope that someone could help me in this mod...
    The pics are a little big, ~1Mb...

Winbond chip: http://users.servicios.retecal.es/ra...os/winbond.jpg
    Dimmslots: http://users.servicios.retecal.es/ragus/Fotos/slots.jpg

P.D.
    Excuse for my bad English...

Xtreme Member
    Hell-Fire & cia. were are you??? xDD
    Hey, vmodders, help me a bit, plz...

Xtreme Vmod mod
    The winbond chip in your pictures looks like an I/O driver and hardware monitor, not a voltage regulator. Are there any chips around the area below the DIMM slots?

Xtreme Member
    Well, first of all, thanx for your help...
    Near the dimm slots there are some little mosfets but any voltage regulator. IĀ“m taking pics, but IĀ“m very crappy with my Canon A95..
    I think that I have founded the vcore regulator, an ISL66569CB I think, and around the socket there are some more little voltage regulators, IĀ“ll try to take a high res pic of the mobo ando post it in a few minutes...
    Thanks!

P.D.
    Once again, sorry for my bad english...

EDIT
    Here are the best pics I could take without unmounting the mobo...

http://users.servicios.retecal.es/ragus/Fotos/1.jpg
    http://users.servicios.retecal.es/ragus/Fotos/2.jpg
    http://users.servicios.retecal.es/ragus/Fotos/3.jpg

Tell me what mosfet I have to read with DMM and IĀ“ll post the values...
    Last edited by Lord_RTKK; 01-03-2005 at 11:26 AM.

Xtreme Vmod mod
    The ISL66569CB near the I/O connectors looks like it is the Vcore regulator. For more Vcore pin 10 should be pulled to ground via a variable resistor. I'm unsure about the value tho.
    From other pictures of the board that I have seen on the net, and the ones you posted, it looks like there is a winbond IC below the DIMM slots which might be the Vdimm regulator. Can you please get the number of this.
    http://www.drunken-student.co.uk/tom/3.jpg
    I have also marked some points which might be Vdimm read points.

Xtreme Member
    Well, I have read all mosfets in the mobo and havenĀ“t found the vdimm reading point...
    I have measured the points that you marked, and the one that is 1.27v is the VTT reading point, because it changes from 1.27 to 1.42 when I change vdimm from 2.5 to 2.8.
    The chip that you marked is a Winbond W83303D, the vdimm and vtt controller I think. I have found some pics of the Abit KV8 Max3 and Abit IG-7, that use the same IC, but I think that the mod sould be different, because of the different layout of the boards
    Here you can see my measurements with DMM and the IC that you marked

http://users.servicios.retecal.es/ragus/Fotos/3a.JPG
    http://users.servicios.retecal.es/ragus/Fotos/IC.jpg

EDIT
    In this photo is marked the vDimm sense leg of the Winbond IC... Now is your turn, vmodders, I donĀ“t have the necesary knowledge to perform this mod alone...
    http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/...chmentid=19922
    Last edited by Lord_RTKK; 01-03-2005 at 03:50 PM.

Xtreme Vmod mod
    I have looked for a data sheet for the W83303D, but I have been unable to find it. It does, however appear to be the Vdimm/Vtt controller. Based on the other link however, it looks like the Vdimm sense pin marked is the right pin (I will confirm this if I can find the data sheet).
    If you are good at soldering you could try to solder directly to the pin, but it is probably too small to do that successfully. I have marked some points on resistors which might be connected to the same pin, which would be easier to solder to. Can you check if any of the points marked in pink are connected to the pin marked in green.
    I have also added some more points which could be Vdimm read points.
    http://www.drunken-student.co.uk/tom/IC.jpg

Xtreme Member
    Well, those are the vdimm reading points, both mosfets mark 2.83 when vdimm is 2.8 in bios, and mark 2.53 when vdimm is 2.5 in bios....
    IĀ“m thinking about feeding vdimm with the 5v rail, connecting the mosfets to 5v and adding heatsinks... it is possible, no?? but first we have to do the vdimm mod...
    Now IĀ“m going to see if the vdimm sense leg of the Winbond IC is conected with those points that you have marked...
    Thanks for your help...

Xtreme Member
    Well, in fact the points that you marked in pink "beep" (with the DMM) with the vdimm sense leg...
    What is the next step?? Add a 10 Ohm resistor and a trimmer from it to ground, but where??

Xtreme Vmod mod
    Connect one end of a trimmer to the sense point and the other end to ground. You could also try putting a 1k resistor in series with the trimmer, which should provide some protection to the motherboard when you are testing the mod (it should limit the voltage to a reasonably safe level, but will still give an inication if the mod is working properly.) A ground connection can be taken from one of the screw holes near the Vdimm IC.
    Which of the points was connected to the sense leg btw.

Xtreme Member
    Well, IĀ“ll try it when I can buy the trimmer, resistor, etc... How many ohms the trimmer would be?? 1K would work??
    Do you think it would work?? I dont want to fry my mobo..
    I have made a picture of the mod you are saying, tell me if it is this way
    I have marked the four points who beep with the vdimm sense leg, it should work with any of the points, no??
    The pic:

http://users.servicios.retecal.es/ragus/Fotos/IC2.JPG

Xtreme Vmod mod
    There should only be one point which is connected to the sense pin. If you set the DMM to measure resistance, measuring between the sense pin and one of the points I marked, there should be one point which has a much lower resistance than the other points (should be very close to zero ohms). You should also be able to check if it is the correct point by checking that the other end of the resistor/point you soldier to is connected either to ground or the Vdimm read point.
    I think that a 5k ohm trimmer should be ok for the mod, but also put a 1k ohm resistor in series with it. This *should* help reduce the possibility of any damage that migh be caused by a mod if it hasn't been previously tested.
    I will continue to look for the W83303D data sheet, which might help me find a Vtt mod too (I don't know if you will need it tho).

Xtreme Member
    OK, then I will try with a 5K trimmer and a 1K resistor in series...
    I will look again if those points are not connected to the vsense leg...
    Yesterday I sended an email to Winbond asking for this datasheet. They answered me asking for the country that I am, to send my request to the local distributor. I hope that in 2 o 3 days I will have the datasheet...
    The VTT mod was performed by Hipro, so don look for it, I have it now...
    http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/...ad.php?t=38946

Now, thinking about the way that this mod works, I think that if the trimmer is bigger, for example 20K, the adjustment will be softly, because it will connect the ground and the vdimm leg slowly, am I in an error??
    Thanks a lot for your help...

Xtreme Vmod mod
    A 20K trimmer will work, however it would probably produce the opposite effect to the one you want. At voltages close to default, turning the trimmer lots will only give a small voltage increase, and as the voltage increases you will need to turn the trimmer less and less to produce the desired voltage increase. This will produce a very accuretely adjustable voltage at low voltages, and a very inaccurate adjustment at high voltages (the same will happen with whatever trimmer value you use, but it will be more noticeable/worse on larger value resistors)
    I have also pm'd someone to try to get a copy of the datasheet emailed to me.

Xtreme Vmod mod
    I've checked the datasheet and the pin is the correct one.

Xtreme Member
    OK, I will do the mod the next week, or later, because my Raddy 9800 Pro is dead, and I dont want to kill my mobo now...
    Could you send me the datasheet?? Winbond havenĀ“t replied me...
    This chip controls the vagp, vdimm, vtt, etc... All of this voltajes are moddable by this way?? Connecting the correct leg to ground with a VR should work for all this voltages?? If it works, what an easy moddable mobo!
    My email for the datasheet:
    Lord.RTKK @ gmail.com

Xtreme Addict
    Be sure to share the results and post a guide for this, I have some BH-5 here that needs a good jolt.
    Cursed be the ground for our sake. Both thorns and thistles it shall bring forth for us. For out of the ground we are taken for the dust we are and to the dust we shall return
    Heat

Xtreme Vmod mod
    Datasheet sent . I think the chip controls VAGP and Vtt as well, so it should be possible to mod them in the same way.

Xtreme Member
    DataSheet received, thanks
    I will post here when I do the mod, I hope not to fry the mobo...
    I will do vdimm and vtt mod

Xtreme Member
    Well, mod done... Working great
    Very simple, and now I can set vDimm up to 3.8v, because I have modded my PSU too
    Thanks a lot for the help provided...
    Now, IĀ“m waiting for some TwinMOS SP with Winbond UTT AA4T 44D chips...

Xtreme Member
    Sorry to dig out this thread but i need a quick respond:

Tried the VDimm-Mod with soldering a 1k fixed and one 5k VR in series at the "zero ohm" spot mentioned earlier in this Thread (don't think I soldered something wrong)
    Unfortunately the Mod doesn't work, nothing happens when i lower the VR's resistance. My question is if anybody here tried the VDimm-Mod with the 1k fixed resistor and if it worked, then i might have done something wrong while soldering :/
    Rig runs fine, did't damage anything

Xtreme Vmod mod
    The 1k resistor was only a safety precaution when the mod was being tested. It should be fine without the resistor. Try contacting Lord_RTKK to see if he can help because I haven't done the mod myself.

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by persivore
    The 1k resistor was only a safety precaution when the mod was being tested. It should be fine without the resistor. Try contacting Lord_RTKK to see if he can help because I haven't done the mod myself.
    I contacted him earlier this day (and he answered), but it seems he's away right know.
    I know the 1k fixed resistor is only for safety precaution but can it prevent the mod from working?

Think i'm gonna desolder the 1k resistor, no matter if i kill the ing board,spend 300$ on ram that wont run properly don't care about that damn mobo right now

Thx for your answer (i forgot, sorry m8, no manners these days )
    Last edited by Ashe; 04-01-2005 at 11:06 AM.

Xtreme Member
    As I told you, I didn try with the fixed resistor, because it has only safety purposes.
    I dont remember if I tried with a 5K or 10K VR, but it worked very well, alowing me to put the vdimm as high as mi 3.3v line were, with 99% of stability in the vdimm voltaje, no fluctuations...
    Try removing the fixed resistor, and check again all the solders...
    If you want to have full stability with 3.3+v, you should do the VTT mod.
    Tonight I will mail you the two drawings that I told you in the PM

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast