Thread: Is7-e/ai7/ic7

Xtreme Enthusiast

Is7-e/ai7/ic7

Which of these three should I go for?

Both springdale boards can run PAT in 5:4 can't they? (Macci says in his guide the IS7-E can) also how difficult are the vdimm/vtt mods to do on the IS7-E?

For a n00b of course.

Ta.
    Rebuilding

Xtreme Addict

I realy like my 4pca3+ rev2 and p4c800-e. I didn't have a problem with the is7/ic7 but the vdim mod is kind of challenging for someone that isn't good at soldering (me for instance).

Athletes has a prescott pushing 4ghz on air with an ai7. I am not sure if you can use a prommy with an ai7. The cpu socket is on an angle and it looks like you might not be able to, but if you weren't planning on using one that isn't realy an issue...

I never had any major issues running 5:4 with any board at all, but I have heard of plenty of people with 5:4 issues. I am assuming you will be using that bh-6, and you will want to run tight timings, so you might want to get an ai7, 4pca3+/4pda2+, or p4c/p800. The ai7 and epox mobos all have pretty high vdims (3.2v and 3.3v respectively) and the vdim mod is realy easy on the asus boards.

From my experience the p4c800 seems to clock just barely higher than the other mobos, but they are all pretty close. IMO you realy can't go wrong with any of the boards...

May I ask why you are buying intel stuff when you have that nice a64 setup?

Originally posted by CircuitBreaker8
    So I asked myself, is OCing the videocard really worth it?

Xtreme Member
    ai7 no doubt

Xtreme Enthusiast
    its just a change

Isn't the AI7 really twitchey?
    Rebuilding

Xtreme Addict

I wish I knew...almost the only intel mobo I don't have first hand experience with

If you can mount a prommy on it I might pick it up. Athletes was having low vcore issues with a prescott, I think the vcore with the prescott maxed out at like 1.675, but I think that is pretty high for a prescott, and might not be an issue with northwoods...but I don't know...

Xtreme Member
    not as much as ic7 or is7. I own ic7 and volts fluctuate wildly. The is7 does same not as bad but the voltage options hender alot. The ai7 is more stable and has alot of voltage to pop to ram and vcore. Usually more than needed for most ppl. Ive tweaked with all boards and played with all boards in person and have found better results all across the board with the ai7.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    ill pick one up then.

ta for help dudes.
    Rebuilding

Xtreme Enthusiast

Re: ...

Originally posted by gouda96
    I wish I knew...almost the only intel mobo I don't have first hand experience with

If you can mount a prommy on it I might pick it up. Athletes was having low vcore issues with a prescott, I think the vcore with the prescott maxed out at like 1.675, but I think that is pretty high for a prescott, and might not be an issue with northwoods...but I don't know...
    whats the best board you've used btw?
    Rebuilding

Xtreme Addict

I like the p4c800-e the most. I never got a chance to try the droop mod either, so that could help it even more.

I have actually heard people complaining about the 4pca3+ rev2.2, and I have a 2.0, so you might want to stay away from it. I have been told it undervolts the vdim by a good bit, like 2.9v when set to 3.3v. Mine overvolts by about .02, and the board is pretty good.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    how easy is the vdimm mod? can it be done without soldering?
    Rebuilding

Xtreme Addict

you can tie a strans of a cu wire around pin6 of the chip, and solder that to a pot, then ground it. You don't have to solder to the mobo. You could use smd grabbers instead of knotting the wire if you wanted. It is realy easy...i will find the link to the vmod.

edit->here it is

I think that page has some good pictures on it.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    ta mate.

What about the droop mod, what does that actually do?
    Rebuilding

Xtreme Member
    I have been told it undervolts the vdim by a good bit, like 2.9v when set to 3.3v
    the rev 2.2 doesnt undervolt the vdimm. epox changed the voltage regualtor. it only allows 2.9v max
    heatware

ebay feedback

FX-55
    DFI NF4 Ultra-D
    XFX 7800GTX
    Kingston 2x512mb BH-5
    Vapochill LS

Xtreme Enthusiast
    also whats this mobo like Asus P4S800D-E Deluxe
    Rebuilding

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Originally posted by The Runner
    also whats this mobo like Asus P4S800D-E Deluxe
    Ask charlie, he has one.

Xtreme Addict

The only flaws it has are low stock vdim, and bad vcore fluctuation. The vcore can go kind of crazy, and that is what the droop mod fixes. It is a vcore stabilization mod, and I think it is pretty easy, but might be a little harder to pull off than the vdim, but still easy I think. It is alot like the p4p800 if you have ever used one, except most people prefer the 875 to 865 because it usually scores and clocks a little higher. The fluctuation on the vcore isn't even realy that big of a deal, it is already a realy good board, but it is just for a little added stability and isn't entirely necessary. Even before people came up with that mod it was widely regarded as being one of, if not the best 865/875 mobo out.

It is a realy shame that epox cut down the vdim. That is the whole reason I bought the board, I was too lazy to do vmods becuase I thought 3.3v would be enough. I can't imagine why they did that...