Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Thermalfins radiators

Xtreme Enthusiast

Smile Thermalfins radiators

Ok, so we have all been so existed with the new TFC radiator line-up-Admiral-that was delayed for several times now. But it looks like they are not coming out at all due to some misunderstanding between Feser guys and its partners: FrozenCPU and LottersMettal. While the first is popular for its great watercooling shop, the last one, less know in watercooling community, is German manufacturing company that decided to go on his own and prepared a new line of PC watercooling radiators - Thermalfins

An overview article on first Thermalfins product was recently published on hw-lab.com: Thermalfins — a new contribution to watercooling
    As we see these have similar cooling design compared to first revision of Admiral rads since both were designed and manufactured by the same company in Germany - LottersMettal (not a partner of TFC anymore)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom from LottersMettal
    TFC tried to twit me on the worst way…! There´s no patent owned by TFC…because…a contract has to be signed ( this contract was done by the patent attorney )…this contract should arrange the cooperation between TFC and me…and after all was done, TFC didn´t sign it !
    Tom is the same guy that was interviewed on hw-lab.com (currently not available) to reveal details of design features of Admiral rads:
    Quote Originally Posted by Artem (hw-lab.com)
    Can you tell us about materials that are used in the production of these radiators?
    Quote Originally Posted by "Tom (developer)
    "The material, these radiators are made of, is aluminum and stainless-steel. The first reason was, to get this rads done in compliance with ROHS-confirmation. No lead (Pb) and no Cadmium (Cd) inside. But there´s no aluminum in the water-channels! The water-bearing parts are made of a really fine stainless tube, with an inside structure, which allows an optimal thermal transfer to the outside aluminum-fins. Everyone knows about the heat conductance of copper and we all know, that stainless steel is worse than copper. But, in this case we only need a thermal breakthrough to the aluminum and that’s mostly dependent on physical inertia. The wall-thickness of the stainless tube is only 0,2mm. So, the heat of the coolant is moving right through to the alu-fins…
    This is true for Thermalfins rads too, which again indicates similarities between newcomer rads and Admiral. But this also shows that Feser could have placed orders at LottersMettal to produce Admiral. Here is how Tom comments the situation:
    Many of you might be familiar with the history of these radiators, so I'll skip this "dark chapter of a cooperation".
    It's true that the radiators look a lot alike as they are part of the same "family".
    The entire production is designed for high quality...starting at the used materials (I know...stainless steel), over the way surface treatment, to the service. Why stainless steel out of all the possibilities?
    When taking a look at the prices of copper, one can see that they are skyrocketing. Stainless steel can't transfer heat as good as copper, but, and this is the most important part, if I cover a 0.2mm thick pipe out of stainless steel with an aluminum pipe, the material of the inner pipe gets less and less important... (Did anyone ever touch a knife out of stainless steel, that just came out of the dishwasher? It's damn hot!)...a thermal breakthrough occurs, the thermal conductivity of the aluminum is all that counts, so everything works out just fine. So much for the stainless steel issue.
    Also, there's no soldering involved in the production. Everything is welded together by lasers, resulting in no deformation at all. It also doesn't require any additives, so the radiators are fully RoHS-compilant.

I hope I was able to explain a few things...
    Regards,
    Tom / thermalfins
    Thanks bundymania for translation

Finally, here are some pics to get more excited

Still waiting for first test results
    An unfortunate person is one tries to fart but sh1ts instead...

My Water Cooling Case Build (closed)

Xtreme Guru
    These probably will be more reasonably priced, both because no modular design, and maybe because of more sensible pricing policy then mad price markups by TFC. Now just waiting for performance numbers.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by churchy View Post
    These probably will be more reasonably priced, both because no modular design, and maybe because of more sensible pricing policy then mad price markups by TFC. Now just waiting for performance numbers.
    Wrong; TFC went modular to cut production cost. That does not mean TFC would not just pocket the difference. For the tripple radiator, 250 USD is what is floating around. Not sure that is an accurate number, we will have to wait and see.

you can look on hw labs it says exactly how much they weill cost - for example 180€ for the tripple 140mm rad. Not cheap, but then again if, due to their thickness an different build, they are able to dissipate more heat than a current tripple rad, the price might be justified

edit - sorry the tripple is 185 Euros. No price announced yet for the X1, X2 or X4

Xtreme Enthusiast
    But but but... it also says "Subject to change". So hopefully we'll see more appealing price tag
    Still, performance is top priority, IMHO, then the price
    Last edited by SpuTnicK; 03-02-2011 at 04:49 AM.

I am Xtreme
    I'm waiting to see how their 60mm thick rads do.
    105mm thick is so impractical, doesn't fit almost anywhere...
    They don't even have their own web-site, do they?
    Last edited by zalbard; 03-02-2011 at 05:30 AM.
    Donate to XS forums
    Quote Originally Posted by jayhall0315 View Post
    If you are really extreme, you never let informed facts or the scientific method hold you back from your journey to the wrong answer.

http://thermalfins.com/ - just a placeholder though, all it says is:
    thermalfin´s X3 Radiators ... coming soon !

Xtreme Guru
    New players in the game is always interesting. Let's see...

Grabs pop-corn...
    Project ZEUS II

Asus Rampage II Extreme
    Intel I7 920 D0 3930A @ 4.50GHz (21 X 214mhz)
    3 x 2GB G.Skill Trident 1600 @ 1716MHz (6-8-6-20-1N)
    2 x Asus HD 6870 CrossFire @ 1000/1100MHz
    OCZ Vertex 2 60GB | Intel X25-M 120GB | WD Velociraptor 150GB | Seagate FreeAgent XTreme 1.5TB esata
    Asus Xonar DX | Logitech Z-5500 | LG W2600HP 26" S-IPS LCD

Watercooling setup:
    1st loop -> Radiator: 2 x ThermoChill PA120.3 | Pump: Laing DDC-3.25 with Alphacool HF 38 top | CPU: Swiftech Apogee XT | Chipset: Swiftech MCW-NBMAX | Tubing: Masterkleer 1/2" UV
    2nd loop -> Radiator: ThermoChill PA120.3 | Pump: Laing DDC-3.2 with Alphacool HF 38 top | GPU: 2 x EK FC-6870 | Tubing: Masterkleer 1/2" UV

Assembled in Mountain Mods Ascension Trinity
    Powered by Corsair Professional Series Gold AX1200

Let's just hope this doesn't end up like it did last September/October with the Admirals...

I just want to see some benchmarks and reviews to see if these are worth all the hype. Ya know...I hear there's a new unicorn farm out in Colorado...
    Q6600 @ 3.4
    SLI EVGA GTX260
    4GB Patriot Viper
    EVGA 790i FTW
    BFG 1200w
    WD 500GB/1TB

Full water loop: D-tek v2, Dual MCW60's, Dual MCR320's, MCP655, Custom made acrylic reservoirs

Quote Originally Posted by rubix_1011 View Post
    Ya know...I hear there's a new unicorn farm out in Colorado...

Xtreme Member
    The price of 180€ is for 110mm version that is something like monsta radiators were priced few years ago.

Xtreme Member
    This whole mess makes me sick. Frozen has high prices, but they have always treated me right and my orders have been perfect every time. I hate to see them lose their asses on this. TFC is a joke and I will never buy anything marketed by them /rant

Xtreme Enthusiast
    As far as TFC goes, I have never been very impressed w/them, or their products. They will likely fade away with time.

I am very interested in this new rad design, time will tell if it's new and improved.

If it's good, it'll be the first real forward move in rad design since the original TC PA160.1. That goes back quite awhile.

I really want this to be a game changer, still have doubts about it though. Need some testing soon.
    Donate to XS.org

"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." -Ben Franklin
    "Every government degenerates when trusted to the rulers of the people alone. The people themselves, therefore, are its only safe depositories." -Thomas Jefferson

"He that would make his own liberty secure, must guard even his enemy from oppression; for if he violates this duty, he establishes a precedent that will reach to himself."-Thomas Paine

Xtreme Mentor
    it big
    Intel Core i5 6600K + ASRock Z170 OC Formula + Galax HOF 4000 (8GBx2) + Antec 1200W OC Version
    EK SupremeHF + BlackIce GTX360 + Swiftech 655 + XSPC ResTop
    Macbook Pro 15" Late 2011 (i7 2760QM + HD 6770M)
    Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1 (2014) , Huawei Nexus 6P
    [history system]80286 80386 80486 Cyrix K5 Pentium133 Pentium II Duron1G Athlon1G E2180 E3300 E5300 E7200 E8200 E8400 E8500 E8600 Q9550 QX6800 X3-720BE i7-920 i3-530 i5-750 Semp140@x2 955BE X4-B55 Q6600 i5-2500K i7-2600K X4-B60 X6-1055T FX-8120 i7-4790K

Xtreme Member
    Honestly, I don't think there will be anymore "game changers". I think improvements will be incremental. I am honestly much more excited about Swiftech's new "Extreme Performance" line. The qp rads performed as well as rads twice their size.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

Xtreme Addict
    Yeah we're really not getting much improvement for thermals... so why get this rad? Because it looks sick as hell!

In all seriousness, pretty much all cooling methods are approaching their asymptotes pretty fast, sadly. It's inevitable, really... but creativity isn't going anywhere! Hopefully these rads are able to perform better in certain airflow conditions that conventional radiators couldn't touch.
    Signatures make my posts look huge... but I'm not humble enough to completely remove my signature, so I kept this note explaining it.

Xtreme Addict
    Flying through Space, with armoire, Armoire of INVINCIBILATAAAAY!
    oh wow, you could make a sandwich with 2 normal thickness rads and it will be just as thick as one of these things.
    Sigs are obnoxious.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by skinnee
    I should be getting one soon, it will go on the bench as soon as it arrives.
    Source

Looking good!

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by Aaronharmon View Post
    This whole mess makes me sick. Frozen has high prices, but they have always treated me right and my orders have been perfect every time. I hate to see them lose their asses on this. TFC is a joke and I will never buy anything marketed by them /rant
    Another way you can look at it is that other reseller's prices are too low.

The price wars have gotten to the point where the manufacturers (myself and others) barely have any money to be made, because we're constantly under pressure from our resellers to offer lower and lower wholesale prices.

Resellers getting in a pissing match with each other over pricing only hurts the entire manufacturer and reseller community as a whole.

I'm not saying competition is bad, what I'm saying is that resellers that sell at or below cost just to "win" with the lowest price, end up shooting themselves in the foot, because they devalue the item for the entire market, and start the cycle all over again.

Frozen's higher prices are the reason they've done so well, expanded, and are able to make large investments in watercooling companies such as Feser, regardless of whether those investments work out or not. Overall they're a benefit to the community IMO.

Now, smaller overhead, mom & pop shops also have their place, and are able to offer lower prices because of it. As long as they don't go overboard, there's room in the market for both.
    Asus G73- i7-740QM, Mobility 5870, 6Gb DDR3-1333, OCZ Vertex II 90Gb

Xtreme 3D Team
    Quote Originally Posted by matari View Post
    Wrong; TFC went modular to gain more profit. That does mean TFC would have just pocketed the difference. For the tripple radiator, 250 USD is what is floating around. Not sure that is an accurate number, we will have to wait and see.

Chasing After Diety
    Quote Originally Posted by iandh View Post
    Another way you can look at it is that other reseller's prices are too low.

The price wars have gotten to the point where the manufacturers (myself and others) barely have any money to be made, because we're constantly under pressure from our resellers to offer lower and lower wholesale prices.

Resellers getting in a pissing match with each other over pricing only hurts the entire manufacturer and reseller community as a whole.
    your tipping on a doubled edged sword here with this statement.

Yes we have been spoiled silly with the MCR320, but that was a good move by swiftech.

Because the MCR320 is so cheap, its called the Camry of radiators, and hence like camry's there spam'd.

Spaming MCR320's means more people are buying water products which is an overall win.

And Rad prices, i still think are a bit inflated.

Im sorry, if i can go out and pick up a full copper Koyo rad retail, which has more quality then any of our rads, for as much as a 120x4 radiator... OUR radiators are overpriced.

Quote Originally Posted by JoeBar View Post
    New players in the game is always interesting. Let's see...

Grabs pop-corn...
    HW-labs??

Dude they been in the game a very very very long time.
    Its the first rad company Danger Den paired up with.

Anyhow id like to see numbers on this radiator.
    Ive seen videos, and it was sexy... no joke...

But the main question that boggles my head is did they managed to do what magicool couldnt.

As i was saying in another thread, magicool has been playing with the ideas of passive radiator.
    And this radiator looks like its a upgraded version of this guy:

Incase your wondering.. magicool never released that unit, because they told me personally it failed.

I tried very hard to get a sample of that radiator...

lol...
    Last edited by NaeKuh; 03-14-2011 at 09:52 AM.
    Nadeshiko: i7 990 12GB DDR3 eVGA Classified *In Testing... Jealous? *
    Miyuki: W3580 6GB DDR3 P6T-Dlx
    Lind: Dual Gainestown 3.07
    Sammy: Dual Yonah Sossoman cheerleader. *Sammy-> Lind.*

[12:37] skinnee: quit helping me procrastinate block reviews, you asshat. :p
    [12:38] Naekuh: i love watching u get the firing squad on XS
    Its my fault.. and no im not sorry about it either.

Xtreme Guru
    This is niche. Niche products always are premium priced. Imho those auto/moto rads are sold in much bigger volumes then PC LC gear.

Chasing After Diety
    Quote Originally Posted by churchy View Post
    This is niche. Niche products always are premium priced. Imho those auto/moto rads are sold in much bigger volumes then PC LC gear.
    that being said there is no room to argue on a price of a MCR320.

which was gabes intension.

You think cheap, solid radiator, what pops in your head?
    To me its the MCR!

And i think gabe likes it that way.
    Nadeshiko: i7 990 12GB DDR3 eVGA Classified *In Testing... Jealous? *
    Miyuki: W3580 6GB DDR3 P6T-Dlx
    Lind: Dual Gainestown 3.07
    Sammy: Dual Yonah Sossoman cheerleader. *Sammy-> Lind.*

[12:37] skinnee: quit helping me procrastinate block reviews, you asshat. :p
    [12:38] Naekuh: i love watching u get the firing squad on XS
    Its my fault.. and no im not sorry about it either.

I am Xtreme
    Quote Originally Posted by NaeKuh View Post
    that being said there is no room to argue on a price of a MCR320.

which was gabes intension.

You think inexpensive, solid radiator, what pops in your head?
    To me its the MCR!

And i think gabe likes it that way.
    Fixed.
    Circles SucQ!

If your annoyed by sigs telling you to put things in your sig, then put this in your sig

Bribery won't work on me...just say NO to AT!!!

Xtreme Guru
    Often european rad vendor rads are cheaper in europe side of pond LC shops then swiftech's though. So it's not exactly world dominating, but close

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast