Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Quad 140 Radiator Stand

Xtreme Member

Quad 140 Radiator Stand

Hi guys,

I have just designed myself a floor/desktop radiator stand to mount a 140mm rad, in my case its being designed to support the mammoth weight of a quad 140..

Any mfr is going to charge me a fortune to CNC out those feet unless were talking large volume, I was wondering if anybody here can Lathe work alu bar for £££?

Approx Requirements:
    Just under 1" dia, approx 15mm thick.
    Small counterbore/recess one end for sticky rubber pads.
    M5 hole through centre.
    Two small flutes around diameter, only for aesthetic purposes!

Full engineering drawing will be given.

I think I am going to widen the base a bit to give more stability, and adjust some panels as they do not blend well together.

If anybody wants one give me a shout as it'll bring costs down with more made in one go!

Cheers!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Rad Stand.jpg 
Views:	4361 
Size:	130.2 KB 
ID:	105530   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	S10.JPG 
Views:	4107 
Size:	66.5 KB 
ID:	105531  
    Last edited by Mudgey; 06-15-2010 at 03:22 PM.

Xtreme Member
    How about something like these?

I know they are bigger then 1inch in diameter but already made and ready to go.

Also, do you have access to a drill press. I made something like these once on a drill press by putting in the mounting screw and grabbing that with the drill press. Then used a file to cut the grooves. Just don't press to hard as you can knock the chuck out of the drill press.
    PDXLan attendee 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10,10.5,11,12,12.5,13,14,14.5,15 ,(16),(16.5) - Ad Infinitum

Heatware is nlancaster - http://heatware.com/eval.php?id=50777

Xtreme Member
    Hi nlancaster, those are exactly how I have drawn mine! Only problem is they are too big. I have found out my local fab shop has a small lathe so have emailed an eng dwg over to them to see what price they can give me.

I do not have access to machinery, and unfortunately I always manage to mess a job up right at the very end when im working with tools! I can bolt things together no problem so thats what I prefer to do! lol I think patience is my problem, however with CAD I can sit here for hours on end working on various projects..

Xtreme Member
    And with CAD it is impossible to screw up hardware!!

You might be supprised how cheap it will be for such a simple part.
    PDXLan attendee 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10,10.5,11,12,12.5,13,14,14.5,15 ,(16),(16.5) - Ad Infinitum

Heatware is nlancaster - http://heatware.com/eval.php?id=50777

Xtreme Guru
    Might i bring up issue of such long and heavy rad mounted vertically will make center of gravity high and easy to tip over by accidental pushing. So it's wise to use fans (and maybe some fangrills aswell) on both sides of rad, to serve as extra protection of rad (i recall reading about easily dealt damage to rad from few falling accidents). And imho reasoning that owner will be careful is not enough. There are always playful children, pets, wife cleaning up place, drunk friends and alike disasters waiting to happen

Crunching For The Points! NKrader's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by churchy View Post
    There are always playful children, pets, wife cleaning up place, drunk friends and alike disasters waiting to happen
    locking door and turning off cell forever..

Xtreme Member
    I'm given the go ahead to get 10 made initially. I'll reply here with pictures and details once they are ready to ship.

The centre piece and sides will be made out of 1.6mm m/steel and the bottom plate is 2mm m/steel. The whole thing will be powdercoated and the alu feet will be left with a machined surface finish to N8 / Ra3.2. The frame will be powdercoated and stainless steel fasteners will be supplied. The first 10 will be sold at a loss, but i'd rather get 10 made and find they are wrong than 50!!

Cheers,
    Adam
    Last edited by Mudgey; 07-07-2010 at 09:52 AM.

Xtreme Mentor
    Quote Originally Posted by churchy View Post
    Might i bring up issue of such long and heavy rad mounted vertically will make center of gravity high and easy to tip over by accidental pushing. So it's wise to use fans (and maybe some fangrills aswell) on both sides of rad, to serve as extra protection of rad (i recall reading about easily dealt damage to rad from few falling accidents). And imho reasoning that owner will be careful is not enough. There are always playful children, pets, wife cleaning up place, drunk friends and alike disasters waiting to happen
    Not a bad point. I just noticed the rad weight isn't centered in the middle. Might look into that, bit tippy in one direction?
    All stock for now, no need for more, but it's gonna be soon methinks.
    Giga Xtreme 58 mobo i7 965 ES D0 step Corsair 1600 6 gig
    SLI GTX470 EVGA
    EK HF nickle blue top CPU block (free from Eddie)
    Koolance 470 waterblocks
    One big loop, two 120x3 rads. Pa 120.3 and XSPC RX 120x3. Swiftech 35x pump with V2 restop. GT AP15 fans.
    Banchetto Tech Station
    120 GB SSD, and a few other drives.
    1000W UltraX3 PSU, 900 watt (1500VA UPS
    23.999" Acer GD235hz and 24" Acer H243H

Xtreme Member
    Ah thats strange, I replied seperately to those posts, I guess I didnt click send!

Fan grill tastes differ between people, I believe the best thing to do is to offer the unit without grills and if the user wish's to use them then they may choose from the many different types available from many retailors. I have made the feet wider to increase the stability of the unit, this of course, becomes less of a worry with 420mm rads etc.

I have offset the rad as this will me to run fans and fan spacers on the side facing us, so once everything is assembled the stand is positioned approximately in the middle of the rad/fan assembly.

Xtreme Member
    Hi guys,

I have just received the fabricated parts today, however I am still awaiting on the CNC machined feet. They were shipped at the end of last week I believe so they should be with me anyday now.

The image below shows the steel parts bolted together but without the CNC feet. Some will notice the G-Changer 560 rad in the background, this will be assembled along with rad spacers and 140mm fans once the CNC feet have arrived.

Edit: Just to let you those are not nuts on the back but infact hank bush's which are pressed into the steel, so all thats needed for assemply is an allen key!

Name:	Rad Stand 1.jpg 
Views:	3941 
Size:	223.9 KB 
ID:	105940  

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Is there any other company thats planing on releasing 560 radiators?

Xtreme Member
    I have only heard of the Black Ice SR1 and the G-Changer, however this will mount any size of 140mm rad, and in the future there willl probably be a 120mm version. This floor stand allows users to buy and use these extreme radiators even if they haven't got mammoth PC cases!

I am Xtreme
    i think it would be cool to build a handle that uses the top fan mounting holes, for easy moving and stylish appearance to match the base

Xtreme Guru
    Don't know. In my eyes if i'd ever consider external rad, i'd probably get MoRa3.

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mudgey View Post
    Black Ice SR1 and the G-Changer
    The GTX560 is also available.

cnc looks very good.
    and nice design too.

Xtreme Addict
    You know this stand would look good for any type of 140mm rad . One of the best I've seen so far . You're still waiting for the feet by the looks of it?
    “Little expense had been spared to create the impression that no expense had been spared.” - Hitchhiker's Guide
    It's better to ask dumb questions now, than to look stupid later
    Mondays:

Xtreme Addict
    Looking good
    Asus Crosshair IV Extreme
    AMD FX-8350
    AMD ref. HD 6950 2Gb x 2
    4x4Gb HyperX T1
    Corsair AX1200
    3 x Alphacool triple, 2 x Alphacool ATXP 6970/50, EK D5 dual top, EK Supreme HF

Xtreme Member
    Thanks for the encouraging comments guys!

I am still waiting on the feet and then I can post pictures of the whole unit assembled with a 560 rad, it looks pretty awesome already with the rad installed!!

Xtreme Member
    I have finally received the CNC machined feet. I have attached some pictures of the unit fully assembled with a 560 radiator!

I have 10 available, however lots of people have PM'ed me expressing their interest so be quick!

These are now ready, please pm me for a price and shipping costs.

Name:	Rad 1.jpg 
Views:	5425 
Size:	162.2 KB 
ID:	105945   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Rad 2.jpg 
Views:	3509 
Size:	154.2 KB 
ID:	105946  
    Last edited by Mudgey; 07-07-2010 at 09:53 AM.

Xtreme Guru
    Mudgey: Next thing you can work on - make this stand easily extendable to something speaker alike .. more fit to bolt on good looking 'box' on top, or since the beginning box-like design (to get as result something like aquaduct, that would look good near Hi-Fi hardware )

Xtreme Member
    Hi Churchy,

Thats a good idea, however that aquaduct looks hideous!!

Chasing After Diety
    a rad stand is kinda pointless without a holder for a small PSU.

Sorry to say, but most rad stands are located externally.
    Then having tubing + wires come from rads to your case is very ugly.

I would be very nice if you could somehow integrate a holder for a small PSU, to keep near the rads so you can connect the fans to it, instead of having the fans cables to back to your computer.

Or a way to combine all 3 leads into 1 nicely.... you want to minimize whats going in and out of your case.

Other then that its a very nice and simple design.
    Nadeshiko: i7 990 12GB DDR3 eVGA Classified *In Testing... Jealous? *
    Miyuki: W3580 6GB DDR3 P6T-Dlx
    Lind: Dual Gainestown 3.07
    Sammy: Dual Yonah Sossoman cheerleader. *Sammy-> Lind.*

[12:37] skinnee: quit helping me procrastinate block reviews, you asshat. :p
    [12:38] Naekuh: i love watching u get the firing squad on XS
    Its my fault.. and no im not sorry about it either.

Xtreme Guru
    NaeKuh: extra PSU for fans - price++. Imho single wire for all of fans (or all of them sleeved together) won't be as bad. I recall seeing L-slot bracket with 4-pin molex in it (originally probably for quick test/connecting something like standart harddisks/dvdroms). Imho something like that + quick disconnects might result in nice external radstand. Connect two quick disconnect fittings, push in connector in that bracket and all ready to go . It would be nice to see integrated rheostat for fans in external rad aswell.

Xtreme Member
    More product images:

Name:	CIMG1494.JPG 
Views:	3396 
Size:	376.3 KB 
ID:	105956   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CIMG1495.JPG 
Views:	3387 
Size:	333.9 KB 
ID:	105957   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CIMG1496.JPG 
Views:	3355 
Size:	388.9 KB 
ID:	105958  

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast