Page 9 of 16 FirstFirst ... 6789101112 ... LastLast

Thread: ASUS ROG Rampage III Extreme

Xtreme Mentor
    Disappointing that Asus has not provided the BIOS options to lock in a specific RTL value for each channel manually. Instead they continue with this 'let the board decide' scenario which causes a lack of repeatability of results, and takes control away from the user. If I spend this much on a board, I want to be able to set things to what I choose. This is the same behaviour the Rampage II Extreme has, and I have raised this exact issue with the Asus rep on this site and nothing has been done to correct it. Interesting to see the legit reviews reviewer of the Rampage III Extreme raise the same point in a negative light.

some cool pics
    sorry i didnt attach these in my last post
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	24537_407650122177_115494032177_5275901_303218_n.jpg 
Views:	1496 
Size:	48.0 KB 
ID:	102056   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	24537_407650147177_115494032177_5275902_6224616_n.jpg 
Views:	1507 
Size:	55.5 KB 
ID:	102057   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	24537_407650167177_115494032177_5275904_3839124_n.jpg 
Views:	1507 
Size:	63.7 KB 
ID:	102058  

uncore challenged...
    Quote Originally Posted by CryptiK View Post
    Disappointing that Asus has not provided the BIOS options to lock in a specific RTL value for each channel manually.
    the BIOS for this board is still being worked on and taking feedback from those testing the board. RTL selection has been changed and now works as you will find on all other boards with direct selection...no more guessing
    i don't quote in my signature, but best WR ever...
    Quote Originally Posted by Jor3lBR View Post
    It holds the current WR for the least vcore required to run 4500Mhz stable (1.32vcore)
    i can't even make that shyt up ^^^

-_-
    Quote Originally Posted by 3oh6 View Post
    the BIOS for this board is still being worked on and taking feedback from those testing the board.
    I want a full report on my desk 8am tomorrow morning on your findings.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gautam View Post
    I'll add my name to this elpida graveyard as soon I even think about running 32M. (yes, the thought is enough)

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by sholvaco View Post

EDIT: Seems ASUS listened to the enthusiast community and used an Intel NIC on their top of the range board. A nice touch.
    Any spec list on this board yet? Would love to know more about the Intel NIC, I agree this is a very nice touch

I am Xtreme
    I doubt this heatsink will perform good enough... But we'll see I guess.
    Donate to XS forums
    Quote Originally Posted by jayhall0315 View Post
    If you are really extreme, you never let informed facts or the scientific method hold you back from your journey to the wrong answer.

Xtreme Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by zalbard View Post
    I swear every time i read your posts no matter what about you are always so negative.............. you need to slap yourself silly every morning and look at the mirror and say the glass is half full today
    Team.AU
    Got tube?
    GIGABYTE Australia
    Need a GIGABYTE bios or support?

these heatsinks have more surface area so i think they would perform better though they look more like a cosmetic touch

Xtreme Addict
    Well classy heatsink was HUGE and performance? TERRRIBLE, bigger is not always better...
    ░█▀▀ ░█▀█ ░█ ░█▀▀ ░░█▀▀ ░█▀█ ░█ ░█ ░░░
    ░█▀▀ ░█▀▀ ░█ ░█ ░░░░█▀▀ ░█▀█ ░█ ░█ ░░░
    ░▀▀▀ ░▀ ░░░▀ ░▀▀▀ ░░▀ ░░░▀░▀ ░▀ ░▀▀▀ ░

Xtreme Mentor
    the BIOS for this board is still being worked on and taking feedback from those testing the board. RTL selection has been changed and now works as you will find on all other boards with direct selection...no more guessing
    Good to hear.

Xtreme Guru
    Why would a big heatsink be needed? From what I understand, the partially digital power distribution components run excessively cool

Xtreme Member
    Seems like it will run very cool. I can definitly say that my classified heatsink kinda sucks. Any ideas of a round about release date for this thing??
    Corsair 800D -- ASUS Rampage III Extreme -- i7-920 (On water) -- Corsair Dominator 6GB -- ASUS GTX 580 -- ASUS GT 430 -- 2x1TB Caviar Black -- 80GB Intel X-25M SSD -- Corsair HX1000W -- Dimas Tech Bench White

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by dctokyo View Post
    Any spec list on this board yet? Would love to know more about the Intel NIC, I agree this is a very nice touch
    Sorry I can only go by what's obviously visible on the PR shots. The onboard gigabit NIC really isn't that big of a deal; apart from a few features they are all closely comparable to each other, the true upgrade being one of Intel's PCIe x1 network cards. Still people cry for it come every major board release and ASUS delivered this time.

Quote Originally Posted by SKYMTL View Post
    Why would a big heatsink be needed? From what I understand, the partially digital power distribution components run excessively cool
    He owns a classified, can you blame him?

Seriously though, prior to Tylersburg launch we've been constantly told how the NB is going to run cooler without IMC and it turned out anything but, with boards like MSI eclipse plus nearly cooking themselves at stock settings and heaps of others having similar thermal issues he's justified for being at least a bit paranoid.

Xtreme X.I.P.
    Thermal resistance of heatsinks used in this size is greater than 1C per watt, so you'll need airflow to bring the figure down (a 20w load on the heatsink will result in a 20 Celsius rise OVER ambient if the heatsink's thermal resistance is 1C per watt. Junction temperature rise will be higher due to thermal resistance of the package, interface materials and heatsink). The heat produced will be proportional to the switching frequency - so 'cooler' temps at lower switching frequencies and higher temps if you shoot for 800KHz+. The Classified supported a minimum 800KHz, which is why you saw temps in the 50's upwards when the board is in a case. Temp reporting varies from board to board too, not all controllers/vendors report FET junction temperature. I think people need to come to terms with the fact that higher switching frequencies on performance oriented boards will result in 15~20 rises over ambient case temp at a minimum, a dash of realism is needed.
    Last edited by Raja@ASUS; 03-15-2010 at 09:14 AM.

Memory Addict
    I thought R3E bios had settings for cold bug/boot assistance ? They helped ?
    ---

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by eva2000 View Post
    I thought R3E bios had settings for cold bug/boot assistance ? They helped ?
    seems to be cpu dependant.. so it works sometimes!

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by raju View Post
    Thermal resistance of heatsinks used in this size is greater than 1C per watt, so you'll need airflow to bring the figure down (a 20w load on the heatsink will result in a 20 Celsius rise OVER ambient if the heatsink's thermal resistance is 1C per watt. Junction temperature rise will be higher due to thermal resistance of the package, interface materials and heatsink). The heat produced will be proportional to the switching frequency - so 'cooler' temps at lower switching frequencies and higher temps if you shoot for 800KHz+. The Classified supported a minimum 800KHz, which is why you saw temps in the 50's upwards when the board is in a case. Temp reporting varies from board to board too, not all controllers/vendors report FET junction temperature. I think people need to come to terms with the fact that higher switching frequencies on performance oriented boards will result in 15~20 rises over ambient case temp at a minimum, a dash of realism is needed.
    Thanks for the info. I think people are actually used to seeing CPU PWM temps scraping the 100°C mark under heavy load, IOH sitting at above 50°C while idling is a bit harder to swallow on the other hand. One can claim a particular(ly large) chipset cooling assembly as being designed with a fan in mind from the get go, but when another manufacturers simpler, completely passive solution produces lower temps at load (than above stated idle), one can not expect the first solution to go by without as much as a smidgen of criticism.
    Last edited by sholvaco; 03-15-2010 at 10:43 AM.

ASUS Technical Marketing Rep
    Hello All,

In regards to availability no street date has been set/confirmed additionally pricing has yet to be set or confirmed. Currently we have reached MP (mass production) status on the board but our current focus is to ensure the best 1st release bios as possible). Lastly in regards to the heatsink assembly/design this is always an area of debate depending on end user experience with previous boards, perception and comfort levels specific to temperatures ( just like CPU temps some say x degrees is ok while other says x degrees is too much/hot ). With that noted the design and overall implementation of heatsink for the RIIIE has always had cooling performance and efficiency at the forefront of the ID/Thermal Team mindset and design focus. With that being kept in mind ASUS also wanted to introduce a style and look to the board to continue with the innovative designs ROG boards have set in the past. I think we can all agree that we want enthusiast’s boards to look the part and separate themselves from the normal design queues.

As always if you have any specifics questions, concerns or inquiries please let me know. As always please enjoy the rest of your day.

Xtreme Member
    ^ sounds great. can't wait.

Is either the molex connections optional?
    ATCS 840| Core i7 920 - 4.2Ghz - H20| Corsair Dominator GT 1600Mhz 6GB| EVGA X58 Classified| GTX480 2-Way SLI| WD 640GB X2 (Raid 0)| Corsair HX1000W

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by sholvaco View Post
    Sorry I can only go by what's obviously visible on the PR shots. The onboard gigabit NIC really isn't that big of a deal; apart from a few features they are all closely comparable to each other, the true upgrade being one of Intel's PCIe x1 network cards. Still people cry for it come every major board release and ASUS delivered this time.

Thanks for the reply, and that is what I have, I own a Intel Pro 1000 PT server card

Xtreme Guru
    One good thing about the new heatsink (which just follows Maximus III design and nothing more) is that u can still use Swiftech MCW-NBMAX...
    Project ZEUS II

Asus Rampage II Extreme
    Intel I7 920 D0 3930A @ 4.50GHz (21 X 214mhz)
    3 x 2GB G.Skill Trident 1600 @ 1716MHz (6-8-6-20-1N)
    2 x Asus HD 6870 CrossFire @ 1000/1100MHz
    OCZ Vertex 2 60GB | Intel X25-M 120GB | WD Velociraptor 150GB | Seagate FreeAgent XTreme 1.5TB esata
    Asus Xonar DX | Logitech Z-5500 | LG W2600HP 26" S-IPS LCD

Watercooling setup:
    1st loop -> Radiator: 2 x ThermoChill PA120.3 | Pump: Laing DDC-3.25 with Alphacool HF 38 top | CPU: Swiftech Apogee XT | Chipset: Swiftech MCW-NBMAX | Tubing: Masterkleer 1/2" UV
    2nd loop -> Radiator: ThermoChill PA120.3 | Pump: Laing DDC-3.2 with Alphacool HF 38 top | GPU: 2 x EK FC-6870 | Tubing: Masterkleer 1/2" UV

Assembled in Mountain Mods Ascension Trinity