Page 4 of 42 FirstFirst 123456714 ... LastLast

Thread: The official GT300/Fermi Thread

Xtreme Enthusiast
    With a launch at Q1 that let's a lots of time for AMD to make a move.

Xtreme Mentor
    Why are people hyping up ECC so much, the ATi's cards also support something similar if not same "EDC" even that is great tech for some GPU-CPU action.
    Coming Soon

Nursing Student -or- Beta Testing Escape From Tarkov
    Blah, didn't we go through this last year and the year before? Rumor mill never ceases...

Btw, good to see you around diltech
    Intel Core i7 7700K | MSI Z270 XPOWER G.T. | EVGA 1080Ti SC2 | 16GB DDR4 G.Skill Trident Z 3200 | Samsung S27A950D | 3 x Samsung 850 EVO (250GB, 2 x 2TB) | EVGA Supernova P2 1200w | Coolermaster Cosmos II

Xtreme Cruncher
    Quote Originally Posted by AbelJemka View Post
    no it isnt. what would they do except lower price point?

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Chumbucket843 View Post
    Sell a lot of DX11 cards while preparing something special for G300 launch?

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ajaidev View Post
    Why are people hyping up ECC so much, the ATi's cards also support something similar if not same "EDC" even that is great tech for some GPU-CPU action.
    http://www.anandtech.com/video/showdoc.aspx?i=3651&p=6

so whats the clock speed

Quote Originally Posted by EternityZX9 View Post
    Blah, didn't we go through this last year and the year before? Rumor mill never ceases...

Btw, good to see you around diltech
    it was officially announced so we have some specs its not all rumors
    5930k, R5E, samsung 8GBx4 d-die, vega 56, wd gold 8TB, wd 4TB red, 2TB raid1 wd blue 5400
    samsung 840 evo 500GB, HP EX 1TB NVME , CM690II, swiftech h220, corsair 750hxi

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SamHughe View Post
    Here, I fixed your post for you. You are welcome!

On topic: I am really surprised that they adopted 384 bit memory interface rather than 512 bit. Is it because of GDDR5?
    probably due to ECC?

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Please argument!
    If you're point is 4 months is nothing, i laugh in advance

Xtreme Cruncher
    Please argument!
    what move will they make then? 5890? please tell me.

Xtreme Member
    Lower price point and raise clock speeds to make HD5890? Not much you can do... unless you're expecting some kind of a miracle new architecture in 4 months.

Watching the Nvidia GTC, I have a good feeling that GF100 will be special... much faster and better than the competition in every aspect except price.
    Last edited by Clairvoyant129; 09-30-2009 at 02:46 PM.

Xtreme Addict
    I think the performance is totally a mystery to every everyone at this point so they don't know whether to jump or stay put. And even if they were to make a move, it couldn't be much more than a clock jump as i doubt AMD would think r8xx was only going to last 6 months.

Knowing AMD they might just completely forfeit the high end and fight at 250 and below for the next year if this card turns out to be 50-60% percent faster than the 5870, like they did against intel lately or 88xx generation to an extent. If the gtx 380 is able to somehow beat r800, it might just completely abandon it altogether, as I doubt it would sell well at all, as 3870x2 bombed and it was still beating the 8800 ultra. This was lots to do with NV just being a stronger brand due to marketing.

This is all talk at this point until NV atleast shows the card.

Please argument!
    There's 2 things they can do, 5890 with maybe another 100-150 mhz, and a 5870x2.

This card should still be faster than a 5890, and a GTX-395 will likely walk all over the 5870x2 with ease.

2x+ the speed of a GTX 285(not sli, literally double or more performance) will put a single GTX-380 far above the 5870(40 to 60%, if not more), and a simple overclock of the 5870(5890) is NOT going to catch it.

There's no way ATi can launch another architecture in 4 months, so those are their only 2 options.
    Quote Originally Posted by Leon2ky
    "dammit kyle what's with the 30 second sex lately?" "Sorry sweetie, I overclocked my nuts and they haven't been stable since"
    Quote Originally Posted by trinibwoy View Post
    I don't think his backside has internet access.
    Quote Originally Posted by n00b 0f l337 View Post
    Hey I just met you
    And this is crazy
    But I'm on bath salts
    And your face looks tasty

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Complete Nvidia brigade jump on me

Xtreme Member
    No, you're just making assumptions that doesn't make sense. Seriously, what do you expect in 4 months? A new architecture? I really want to know your answer.

I have no preference over certain brands as I have two HD5870s in my desktop but you on the other hand.

I am Xtreme
    Bigger die = more expensive card. Lets see who wins price / performance wise.
    The way I -feel- about it, AMD solution will offer better price / performance ratio for games, while Nvidia will offer additional computing features.
    Donate to XS forums
    Quote Originally Posted by jayhall0315 View Post
    If you are really extreme, you never let informed facts or the scientific method hold you back from your journey to the wrong answer.

Xtreme Addict
    Exactly, the true ECC won't happen with GDDR5, expect the Telsa cards to have DDR3 on them.

Umm... have other cards out? Have a die shrink being prepped and released shortly after? Ever thought on why Cypress and Juniper are so large for their bus sizes?

Quote Originally Posted by zanzabar View Post
    so whats the clock speed
    750mhz core is supposedly the targeted core clocks.

Yep, seems that way now that certain people are back posting...

Edit- If anyone is expecting these cards to have a massive performance lead over 5870 is sadly going to be very disappointed.
    Originally Posted by motown_steve
    Every genocide that was committed during the 20th century has been preceded by the disarmament of the target population. Once the government outlaws your guns your life becomes a luxury afforded to you by the state. You become a tool to benefit the state. Should you cease to benefit the state or even worse become an annoyance or even a hindrance to the state then your life becomes more trouble than it is worth.

Once the government outlaws your guns your life is forfeit. You're already dead, it's just a question of when they are going to get around to you.

Xtreme Member
    Details on ECC ---> http://www.anandtech.com/video/showdoc.aspx?i=3651&p=6
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Clairvoyant129 View Post
    No, you're just making assumptions that doesn't make sense. Seriously, what do you expect in 4 months? A new architecture? I really want to know your answer.

I have no preference over certain brands as I have two HD5870s in my desktop but you on the other hand.
    Ok i give you what i thinking.

I will quote Anandtech article about Fermi :
    http://anandtech.com/video/showdoc.aspx?i=3651&p=7
    Ujesh is wiling to take total blame for GT200. As manager of GeForce at the time, Ujesh admitted that he priced GT200 wrong. NVIDIA looked at RV670 (Radeon HD 3870) and extrapolated from that to predict what RV770's performance would be. Obviously, RV770 caught NVIDIA off guard and GT200 was priced much too high.
    AMD launch it card before this time, what AMD is doing now : extrapolate GT300 performance and cost.
    Performance? GTX285 SLI is like 30% faster than 5870 in average. GTX380 may be more like 50% to 60% faster than 5870 in average. Maybe even less.
    Cost? 40% more transistors than RV870 and 384bits istead of 256bits. 600$? More?
    Diltech speaks about GTX395 but in Nvidia history multigpu cards were launched very late (More than 6 months in average).
    Basically AMD have 3 months to sell DX11 card with the help of Windows 7.
    Last edited by AbelJemka; 09-30-2009 at 03:14 PM.

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by ubuntu83 View Post
    Read above...
    Every genocide that was committed during the 20th century has been preceded by the disarmament of the target population. Once the government outlaws your guns your life becomes a luxury afforded to you by the state. You become a tool to benefit the state. Should you cease to benefit the state or even worse become an annoyance or even a hindrance to the state then your life becomes more trouble than it is worth.

Once the government outlaws your guns your life is forfeit. You're already dead, it's just a question of when they are going to get around to you.

Xtreme Addict
    Wow, its like an 8800GTX but with more RAM, and 4x the shaders...

The 8800GTX was awesome so this probably will be too.
    |-------Conner-------|

RIP JimmyMoonDog

2,147,222 F@H Points - My F@H Statistics:
    http://fah-web.stanford.edu/cgi-bin/...e=Conman%5F530

Ok i give you what i thinking.

I will quote Anandtech article about Fermi :
    http://anandtech.com/video/showdoc.aspx?i=3651&p=7

AMD launch it card before this time, what AMD is doing now : extrapolate GT300 performance and cost.
    Performance? GTX285 SLI is like 30% faster than 5870 in average. GTX380 may be more like 50% to 60% faster than 5870 in average.
    Cost? 40% more transistors than RV870 and 384bits istead of 256bits. 600$? More?
    Diltech speaks about GTX395 but in Nvidia history multigpu cards were launched very late (More than 6 months in average).
    I doubt it'll be $600, NVidia said they realized they launched the GTX-280 too high and they won't be making that mistake again. I'm thinking probably around $400 at launch, which will put a VERY tight squeeze on ATi.

Of course, that's all theoretical as no one can know for sure how NVidia will price this thing. We'll find out soon enough though. Considering NVidia is aiming to market for tesla, where the profit margins are much higher, they can afford lower prices on the desktop cards and make the difference off tesla kits. Just a little something to keep in mind.
    Quote Originally Posted by Leon2ky
    "dammit kyle what's with the 30 second sex lately?" "Sorry sweetie, I overclocked my nuts and they haven't been stable since"
    Quote Originally Posted by trinibwoy View Post
    I don't think his backside has internet access.
    Quote Originally Posted by n00b 0f l337 View Post
    Hey I just met you
    And this is crazy
    But I'm on bath salts
    And your face looks tasty

Xtreme Cruncher
    Quote Originally Posted by LordEC911 View Post
    Umm... have other cards out? Have a die shrink being prepped and released shortly after? Ever thought on why Cypress and Juniper are so large for their bus sizes?
    those will only compete at price point. i am suprised to see you not excited about this card. 2 kernels,new ISA and a new mem hierarchy... yay

are you referring to a 28nm shrink?i thought the die was big because they doubled everything.

Xtreme Enthusiast

amd's cards can detect errors on the memory BUS only and not do a thing to correct them. If there is an error on the bus connecting the controller to the chip, amd's card can try to adjust the signal to maintain a stable connection to the memory chip.AMD did this to maintain higher memory clocks without having to change traces on the pcb. ECC on fermi is for more than just the memory bus.
    Quote Originally Posted by Manicdan View Post
    real men like the idea of packing lots of stuff into a very small space, which is what the mac mini is
    ----------------------------------------------------

Quote Originally Posted by Baron_Davis View Post
    PS. I'm even tougher IRL.

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by DilTech View Post
    I doubt it'll be $600, NVidia said they realized they launched the GTX-280 too high and they won't be making that mistake again. I'm thinking probably around $400 at launch, which will put a VERY tight squeeze on ATi.

Of course, that's all theoretical as no one can know for sure how NVidia will price this thing. We'll find out soon enough though. Considering NVidia is aiming to market for tesla, where the profit margins are much higher, they can afford lower prices on the desktop cards and make the difference off tesla kits. Just a little something to keep in mind.
    Really? You think they will be pricing it that low when it will easily have a kit cost higher than G200? I am guessing anywhere from $150-$200 each and that's being conservative.

those will only compete at price point. i am suprised to see you not excited about this card. 2 kernels,new ISA and a new mem hierarchy... yay

are you referring to a 28nm shrink?i thought the die was big because they doubled everything.
    I am excited to see exactly what they have done with the architecture but from what I have already seen they are dismissing their, original, primary mission of delivering uncompromising gaming performance and are now more focused on marketing and very minor niche markets. While there is much money to be made in the GPGPU market it is a little disappointing to see them chasing it so hard and with little to no regard to their gaming performance. Plus Nvidia's arrogance as a whole is very bewildering and insulting as a consumer.
    Last edited by LordEC911; 09-30-2009 at 03:29 PM.

Page 4 of 42 FirstFirst 123456714 ... LastLast