Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How to dye water cooling tubing *Experiment*IKIKUINTHENUTZ

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by faster3200 View Post
    This better be worth the effort. I had to go into a Walmart for the stuff .
    *Gasps*
    HOW DARE YOU, ACE HARDWARE OR RITE AID SHOULD HAVE IT!
    jk

posts your results, don't forget, this stuff is super dense, put too much and you would only get opaque effects. Hell I think I put too much...
    Work and School, Work and School, oi!

Admin
    I wonder if RIT White-Wash is a white dye?

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Vapor View Post
    I wonder if RIT White-Wash is a white dye?
    http://www.pburch.net/dyeing/dyelog/...4/E1035496870/

Dyers like to say that white dye is called water. Dye is transparent, so a white dye would have no effect on the color you place it on top of.

Removing dye from fabric is called discharging. Discharging agents include chlorine bleach and sodium hydrosulfite. (See What chemicals can be used to remove dye?.) Synthetic fabrics cannot be discharged, but often cotton can be. Does your duvet have a care label telling you not to bleach it? If not, you can choose between household bleach and Rit® brand Color Remover, which is sodium hydrosulfite. Sometimes one works better, sometimes the other does. Sometimes neither one has any effect. Just do not combine them; use only one at a time, and wash the duvet thoroughly in between the two products, if you decide to try both. Rit Color Remover may be less damaging to the fabric than chlorine bleach. You will need several packages. Be sure to follow the package directions carefully.

Rit® White-Wash is another product that contains sodium hydrosulfite; it also contains soda ash. I suspect it to be a less powerful formulation than Rit Color Remover, for removing color.

Rit's manufacturer, Phoenix Brands, also sells an optical whitener, called Rit® Whitener & Brightener, which can make a fabric treated with it look brighter. It does this by absorbing invisible ultraviolet light and changing it to white light. It will not change a cream colored fabric to white, but it may make a white one more attractive. Your best results would probably come from using two or three boxes of Rit Color Remover, washing that out, and then using Rit Whitener & Brightener.
    Last edited by IKIKUINTHENUTZ; 09-21-2009 at 07:20 PM.

Admin
    Whitener & Brightener looks interesting for adding a UV effect....

The other two, hard to say if they'll do anything to transparent plastic, probably not

I was hoping for some (non-applique) way of turning the outside of Tygon Silver into a white-ish color...might turn into a subdued pearl look.

Maybe I'll try dilute Ecru RIT with the Whitener if I get around to it

Xtreme Addict
    I ran some tests with the Denim Blue color. Denim Blue is not blue at all, in fact... it is purple!

I dyed some Tygon Silver and Masterkleer. Pics will come as soon as I can find my camera.

I also attempted to dye plexi and copper pennies. I soaked the plexi in the solution for 30 seconds and it didn't dye at all. I also soaked 10 copper pennies for 10 minutes. 7/10 pennies were unaffected. 2/10 had color in the ridges of the dye, which I was able to mostly wipe off. One actually appeared to be partially dyed and I couldn't wipe it off. It is worth noting that the pennies that did change color were fairly dirty while the unaffected one were fairly clean. So my guess would be that the grime on the pennies is what got dyed as opposed to the copper.
    Just something I thought I would test in case people were worried about using dyed tubes in a loop.

Admin
    What year was the one that got permanently dyed?

Xtreme Addict
    What year was the one that got permanently dyed?
    I can't say for sure as I just grabbed them from my Dad's penny collection. That's right my Dad has a penny collection, and not any specific set or organized in any way. He just has this vase filled with over $500 worth of pennies. I am sure though that none of the pennies I grabbed were from 1982 or older.

Admin
    If you can, find some older ones, they're more representative of the material we use:
    The alloy remained 95 percent copper and 5 percent zinc until 1982, when the composition was changed to 97.5 percent zinc and 2.5 percent copper (copper-plated zinc). Cents of both compositions appeared in that year.
    http://www.usmint.gov/about_the_mint...ion=fun_facts2

EDIT: I didn't even think about what RIT would do to copper, but it's definitely a valid concern if the internals of the tubes get dyed.

Xτræmε ÇruñcheΓ
    was gonna say this is the stuff people (geekhack) use on keyboard keys
    i7 2700k 4.60ghz -- Z68XP-UD4 F6F -- Ripjaws 2x4gb 1600mhz -- 560 Ti 448 stock!? -- Liquid Cooling Apogee XT -- Claro+ ATH-M50s -- U2711 2560x1440
    Majestouch 87 Blue -- Choc Mini Brown -- Poker Red -- MX11900 -- G9

Xtreme Addict
    If you can, find some older ones, they're more representative of the material we use:

http://www.usmint.gov/about_the_mint...ion=fun_facts2

EDIT: I didn't even think about what RIT would do to copper, but it's definitely a valid concern if the internals of the tubes get dyed.
    True, but my understanding of it is that current pennies aren't actually alloys but copper plated zinc (as is also stated in that fact sheet) so what is touching the dye would still be copper. I'll see if I can find some pre-1982 pennies anyway.

Engineering The Xtreme
    RIT dye is a thermo set dye, I dont think it will have issues as long as the tubing is thoroughly rinsed after being dyed

Xtreme Member
    Arg, I bought the wrong cap plug size

I was about to test Rit Red with that UV whiter stuff I posted ealier.

Rite Aid has the whiter stuff on sale for $0.79 and I got 2 boxes to test out, results tomorrow if I can get my proper cap plugs

Xtreme Member
    Any results with the Rit Red?? I'm not so hot on the UV so much, but I'd love some transparent red tubing, and in the spirit of case building and modding, would prefer to dye my own if it looks good.
    In Progress:
    EVGA X58 Classified w/EK-FB full board block | Core i7 920 w/ Enzotech Sapphire | 6GB Gskill Trident F3-16000CL9T-6GBTD | ATI Radeon 4870 1GB | Hitachi 320GB HD x2 | Hitachi 1TB HD x2 | PCP&C Silencer 750W PSU | D5 Vario w/EK-D5 v2 | MCR320-QP w/cheap Yates (for now)

Do youn think that you could apply one dye over the top of another??
    Lets say, a base coat of mid green, then apply lots of twisted rubber bands, then an application of brown, to acheive a camo effect???
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Engineering The Xtreme
    Quote Originally Posted by heinz357 View Post
    Do youn think that you could apply one dye over the top of another??
    Lets say, a base coat of mid green, then apply lots of twisted rubber bands, then an application of brown, to acheive a camo effect???
    yes this is possible, search the net for dying lacrosse heads and you will see all the techniques that can be done

Xtreme Member
    Finally I Got Some Time to do this damn thing! Midterms sucks

Anyways I got a big update for all of ya

This post will be talking about these items shown here the topic will be Rit red, black, and whitener stuff

Thanks to Snipedogg of XS this is what he shared
    Quote Originally Posted by SNiiPE_DoGG View Post
    Good idea IKIKU as I have said before on these boards in regards to RIT dye, there is a lot of cool effects you can make with it - with specific respect to tubing I would think some kind of spiral patter using electrical tape and possibly a hot glue pattern would be very cool
    Why not lets put this claim to the test shall we?

This image below is comprise of 4 things: Masterkleer tubing, DD T-line plugs, electrial tape, and water inside the tube.

the purpose of the plugs is that so the dye will not go inside and the tape is for stopping the dye dying where I don't want it to be.

Repeat the steps in my first post and simply pull the unit out from your desired time and rinse it very well.

I removed one fitting, poured out the water inside, then started to remove the tape

Whoa that came out very nice!

the next thing I did was that I re seal the tube, tape up the whole process again but this time I put the tape directly over the dyed parts

Repeat the process, remove the tape, fittings, etc Vollia!

now my next test involves regularly dying of 2 different cuts of Tygon tubing
    one with red dye and the other with the red dye with the whiter stuff

After dying one tube I put the whitener into the same pot of red dye. the stuff smelled and acted like detergent.

Left one is the regular dye and right one is the dye with with the whitener. It Don't look that great and it was very cloudy.

Under UV light, the one with the whitener barely shows some characteristics but it's not that great

I tried this out the other day on my case's drive latches and was able to dye them completely black. Much better then the purple they started out as. Let them boil in the dye for 2-3 minutes so it had a chance to soak in. One warning though, some of the pieces did shrink a bit. My drive rail shrank about 1-1.5mm and now don't really fit. Lesson learned.

This also works on plexi. I put a small piece in the black dye and checked it every few mintues. After 40 minutes of simmering it turned a deep translucent brown, not exactly the smoked black/grey I was looking for. When I get access to a camera again I can post up some pictures if anyone is interested.

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by pb300 View Post
    I tried this out the other day on my case's drive latches and was able to dye them completely black. Much better then the purple they started out as. Let them boil in the dye for 2-3 minutes so it had a chance to soak in. One warning though, some of the pieces did shrink a bit. My drive rail shrank about 1-1.5mm and now don't really fit. Lesson learned.

This also works on plexi. I put a small piece in the black dye and checked it every few mintues. After 40 minutes of simmering it turned a deep translucent brown, not exactly the smoked black/grey I was looking for. When I get access to a camera again I can post up some pictures if anyone is interested.
    Pics please

on and sucks to hear about the shrinkage, they were still usable right?

original

dyed

plexi dyed. This was with black dye and you can ignore all the dots. The water boiled off and I ended up with them, opps. The color of the plexi is correct even though the rest of the picture isn't (d40 wouldn't play nice and I'm not getting out the lightbox and flashes at 5am). Maybe blue dye would make a smoke grey color?

Yes the rail were still usable, just had to jam them on.

Edit: You can also dye sata cables this way too. No idea how this will change the longevity/performance of the cable though.
    Last edited by pb300; 10-11-2009 at 01:29 AM.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Great idea, I must admit it was something I'd thought of previously.

Should be good if you just have enough length, just dip the middle in (don't submerge the ends) and only the outside will be dyed! Means that there is no chance the dye will go into your loops.
    sigh

Xtreme Member
    Umm does anyone here realize the candy cane dye I made had it's end's sealed during the process? I'm getting the same responses across the net asking why I didn't seal the ends, of course I do admit I did not seal the end for whitener test because I figure it wasn't that important for testing reasons but the Candycane had to for preventing dye being over lapped internally and getting shown different external.

Quote Originally Posted by dreamaxx View Post
    Great idea, I must admit it was something I'd thought of previously.
    If you get an idea, just do it lol

Xtreme Addict
    Might give off a cool 3D effect if you use a red solid colour for the inside and the candy cane black on the outside.

Xtreme Member
    is it safe to dye the inside of the tubing? i know that the colored tubing you get is but the whole material is made that color before they make the tubes.... maybe we can test with the inside dyed too?
    Current System:

Coolermaster HAF 932
    XFX 680i LT SLI Motherboard
    Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 @ 2.99 GHz
    4 Gb (2x 2Gb) OCZ SLI-Ready RAM
    2x XFX 8800gt XXX edition @ 690/975
    1x 300GB Western Digital Caviar HDD

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by alphadog009 View Post
    is it safe to dye the inside of the tubing? i know that the colored tubing you get is but the whole material is made that color before they make the tubes.... maybe we can test with the inside dyed too?
    There was some people mentioning that they will test the bleeding, so far I haven't heard any responses.

Xτræmε ÇruñcheΓ
    i havent heard of anyone doing it on keyboards getting blue fingers...

as he said above, OP only plugged the ends for the stripe effect.
    i7 2700k 4.60ghz -- Z68XP-UD4 F6F -- Ripjaws 2x4gb 1600mhz -- 560 Ti 448 stock!? -- Liquid Cooling Apogee XT -- Claro+ ATH-M50s -- U2711 2560x1440
    Majestouch 87 Blue -- Choc Mini Brown -- Poker Red -- MX11900 -- G9

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12