Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: BARAM overtakes Ultra 120 Extreme?

Xtreme Enthusiast

BARAM overtakes Ultra 120 Extreme?

Quote Originally Posted by xbitlabs
    Well, ThermoLab BARAM proves to be more efficient on an overclocked processor than its formidable opponent, even though the advantage is relatively small. The newcomer is about 1-3°C better. We remember that Thermalright Ultra-120 eXtreme has been the most efficient tower cooler so far (with the exception of unique Thermalright IFX-14). Also, considering that ThermoLab BARAM is 165g lighter and $15-$20 cheaper, and features an impeccably even base, it has every right to be called the best CPU air cooler!
    Quote Originally Posted by xbitlabs
    All the optimizations of the traditional tower heatsink implemented by ThermoLab engineers allowed BARAM to cool the overclocked processor 1-3°C better with 1 less heatpipe, smaller size, lower weight and at a lower cost than the reputed Thermalright Ultra-120 eXtreme.

http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/coo...lab-baram.html

http://www.pcshoptalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=16594

Quote Originally Posted by frostytech
    After resetting the synthetic test platform back to 150W, the Thermolab BARAM heatsink was outfitted with the 120mm AGA12025F121 fan spinning at its default speed of 2000RPM.

Under this scenario the Thermolab BARAM heatsink broke records with a very low rise over ambient temperature of just 15.1°C at stock speed!
    http://www.frostytech.com/articlevie...articleID=2346

http://www.overclockersclub.com/revi...ermolab_baram/

http://www.bigbruin.com/2009/thermolabbaram_1
    Last edited by Machinus; 08-01-2009 at 10:30 PM.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Yeah, it overtakes the TRUE120X, albeit a small - near negligible margin. But its still hard to find Baram this days.

The Megahalem(another TRUE beater) is easier to find, at least in my place.
    [[Daily R!G]]
    Core i7 920 D0 @ 4.0GHz w/ 1.325 vcore.
    Rampage II Gene||CM HAF 932||HX850||MSI GTX 660ti PE OC||Corsair H50||G.Skill Phoenix 3 240GB||G.Skill NQ 6x2GB||Samsung 2333SW

flickr

Xtreme Addict
    my baram with 2 magma fan take my i7 at 4000mhz without problem...........

Last edited by Andrea deluxe; 08-02-2009 at 01:42 AM.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    where can you buy these from ?

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Andrea deluxe

What is your idle and load temps.?
    [[Daily R!G]]
    Rampage II Gene||CM HAF 932||HX850||MSI GTX 660ti PE OC||Corsair H50||G.Skill Phoenix 3 240GB||G.Skill NQ 6x2GB||Samsung 2333SW

flickr

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by labs23 View Post
    Andrea deluxe

What is your idle and load temps.?
    depends more by ambient temperature......

here in italy now the temperature is around 32-35°

and i have 48°(core temp) idle

and 80-85° (core temp) load

but consider: i7 920 4ghz cpu at 1.232v

high ambient temp.

in the nignt i have 42-45° idle and around 80° on load

Xtreme Member

BARAM overtakes Ultra 120 Extreme?

In nearly all of these online comparisons of high-end CPU HSFs, they usually do not say whether their TRUE has been lapped, and if they do, it usually has not been.
    Since most people with TRUEs here on XS have lapped them, the online tests are rather meaningless.

BTW, I don't understand why Thermalright continue with their policy of making the bases of their TRUEs convex (curved outwards). They say it's to match the curvature of CPU heat spreaders, but among the 2 Athlon 64s, 1 P4 and 4 Intel quads that I have encountered, none have had surfaces anywhere nearly as uneven as my TRUE (pre-lapping), and none have been noticeably concave (curved inwards).
    I will admit the possibility that CPU heatspreaders flex when pressure is applied to the HS, but no-one has discussed that.

I'm also not against Barams or whatever. I've posted in another thread here ( http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/...8&postcount=65 ) my theory that the TRUE could be improved by reducing the apparent heat bottleneck between its base block and heatpipes, and would love to be convinced that a new HS, modified TRUE or whatever, significantly beats the existing TRUE.
    Last edited by BlindFreddie; 08-02-2009 at 08:54 PM.

Xtreme Member
    The TRUE Black has the same pipe layout as the BARAM, it would be a more fair test.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by koksy View Post
    The TRUE Black has the same pipe layout as the BARAM, it would be a more fair test.
    the TRUE design didn't change from TRUE to Black. Not to mention but if you compared the black with the BARAM some other guy will come in and say its not fair to compare the BLACK to the BARAM, the normal TRUE would be a more fair test.
    Everyday is a NiceDay

Xtreme Mentor
    wind tunnel effect fins start wide shrinking to reduce turbulence, this works better if it's multiple rows one after the other, not shrinking to the center. They could also try making the fins like stator blades for the fins. now that I think about I should try making my own lol
    HAVE NO FEAR!
    "AMD fallen angel"
    Quote Originally Posted by Gamekiller View Post
    You didn't get the memo? 1 hour 'Fugger time' is equal to 12 hours of regular time.

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ar3s View Post
    the TRUE design didn't change from TRUE to Black. Not to mention but if you compared the black with the BARAM some other guy will come in and say its not fair to compare the BLACK to the BARAM, the normal TRUE would be a more fair test.
    ahh, you're right, my bad. The layout OP posted is just completely wrong.

Xtreme Mentor
    love to see it against JUST a pressure modded true (to give it a proper mounting) not the crap it comes with and see how it fairs
    "Cast off your fear. Look forward. Never stand still, retreat and you will age. Hesitate and you will die. SHOUT! My name is…"
    //James

Xtreme Member
    I talked Gary into stocking the BARAM back in April I think. Anyway, here's a link to where you can buy it.

http://www.sidewindercomputers.com/thbauncpucos.html

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Avan View Post
    I talked Gary into stocking the BARAM back in April I think. Anyway, here's a link to where you can buy it.

http://www.sidewindercomputers.com/thbauncpucos.html
    Good to know its listed as compatible with S1366 now.

A Baram vs. Megahalem in a thorough review would be very nice. Or did i miss a link?
    [[Daily R!G]]

flickr

Xtreme Member
    Will post a Roundup including Baram vs. Megahalems vs. TRUE soon All 9 coolers were tested on an i7 setup and in single- and dual-fan configuration

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Tommy_Hewitt View Post
    Will post a Roundup including Baram vs. Megahalems vs. TRUE soon All 9 coolers were tested on an i7 setup and in single- and dual-fan configuration
    OMG can't wait!! Mugen 2 also?

Xtreme Member
    Mugen 2, IFX-14, Megahalems, Baram, TRUE, Brocken, Nordwand, NH-U12P (NH-D14 in september) and Thor's Hammer

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Mugen 2, IFX-14, Megahalems, Baram, TRUE, Brocken, Nordwand, NH-U12P (NH-D14 in september) and Thor's Hammer
    Nice! Will be looking forward, certainly.
    [[Daily R!G]]

flickr

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Mugen 2, IFX-14, Megahalems, Baram, TRUE
    Sweeet!!! can't wait to see the push/pull temps at overclock!!

Xtreme Member
    Some information how I'm testing: The fans I use for testing are Noctua NF-P12 with ~1400UPM, CPU's an i7 920 @ 3,2GHz w/ 1,3V Vcore and 1,3V Uncore-Voltage

Nordwand is a pretty interesting cooler

Xtreme Enthusiast
    People say they have reduced CPU load temps by up to 10C by lapping + washer-modding the TRUE, so if this comparison used an unlapped/standard mount TRUE, the BARAM ain't even close to better.

The TRUE is nothing special out of the box; everybody knows that.
    i7 920 D0 | TRUE Cu | ASUS RIIIE | 6GB Dominator GT | Gigabyte GTX480 Special Edition | Win7 Ultimate x64

Xtreme Member
    I just rebuilt my Dual-boot Hacintosh setup with a QX9650 i had on the shelf and used a Megahalem to cool it. With the case setup I have, I'm only using one fan (even though i bought the spare set of fan clips) Running @ 3.6Ghz (400FSB) with voltages at AUTO (on Gigabyte EP45-UD3R) i see vCORE around 1.25-1.3 and idle temps are 37*C with load temps in the mid-high 60s (67ish) Ambient in the room is kept around 22*C

I had a TRUE BLACK that i lapped and used with this QX9650 for a while, but in the system build at the time (2x GTX 280 @SLI) internal temps warranted me putting that system back on water. So i used the TRUE BLACK on an E8400 that cruised along at 4Ghz for a LONG time (2 fan setup) temps were good. BUt i've pulled both the TRUE and the E8400 (and will promptly sell both of them to fund a new fishing reel) in favor of the Megahalem and QX9650 setup running in that system now.

Xtreme Mentor
    Quote Originally Posted by LennyRhys View Post
    People say they have reduced CPU load temps by up to 10C by lapping + washer-modding the TRUE, so if this comparison used an unlapped/standard mount TRUE, the BARAM ain't even close to better.

The TRUE is nothing special out of the box; everybody knows that.
    Exactly the types of results that I saw. Running an unlapped, unpressure modded True is a waste of money, imo. Since there are quite a few coolers that can compete with a vanilla TRUE.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    When you guys say TRUE you mean ultra 120E right?

Xtreme Enthusiast
    ThermalRight Ultra 120 Extreme
    Everyday is a NiceDay

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast