Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I'm downright dissatisfied with my Phenom II 940's performance....

Xtreme Addict

I'm downright dissatisfied with my Phenom II 940's performance....

I have a Phenom II 940 rig. Specs are in my sig. I'm dissatisfied with it. Why, you ask? Because:

It is just too damn fast! There is no reason for me to overclock it, tweak it, constantly benchmark it, or anything anymore. I have no games that stress it in the least now. It runs everything at 1680x1050 fast as hell so there is just no reason to push overclocks anymore.

I remember the good ole days when I had my Athlon XP 2100+. I got it up to 2.5Ghz and that meant something. You could FEEL the speed and it made me happy and proud of my accomplishment. My Opteron 185 even needed a boost to 3Ghz to get things done. This damn Phenom II just works fine! It goes to whatever clock I want it to go to and doesn't complain, lockup, reboot, or anything. I get 3.6Ghz stable at stock volts, or with just a little bump. This is all on AIR COOLING. I don't even have a reason to go water now.

All in all I have to say this system has ruined my enthusiast hobby. There is no hardware I want to buy now. All this crap is just too fast. The SSDs and HDDs leave you wanting for nothing. I don't even have a reason to overclock the memory. It wouldn't do much if I did. This system is just too stable and works too well for my tastes. I should have gone with a Core i7 920 so I could at least risk burning up the IMC with too many volts.

I even went as fast as to load up SuSE 11.1 Linux+Virtualization on a spare drive just to try and put pressure on this CPU. I'm desperate to slow it to a crawl in daily use. I have all of Windows Vista's Aero crap turned all the way up too.

Now I know I can't be the only one having this painful experience. What do you guys think about this tragedy in the world of AMD enthusiasts?
    Core i7 2600K@4.6Ghz| 16GB G.Skill@2133Mhz 9-11-10-28-38 1.65v| ASUS P8Z77-V PRO | Corsair 750i PSU | ASUS GTX 980 OC | Xonar DSX | Samsung 840 Pro 128GB |A bunch of HDDs and terabytes | Oculus Rift w/ touch | ASUS 24" 144Hz G-sync monitor

Quote Originally Posted by phelan1777 View Post
    Hail fellow warrior albeit a surat Mercenary. I Hail to you from the Clans, Ghost Bear that is (Yes freebirth we still do and shall always view mercenaries with great disdain!) I have long been an honorable warrior of the mighty Warden Clan Ghost Bear the honorable Bekker surname. I salute your tenacity to show your freebirth sibkin their ignorance!

Xtreme Mentor
    invest yourself in video editing, or things alike. of course you can stress this CPU to make it scream for mercy, you just happen to be a guy that bought a super fast computer to watch youtube and play games. i mean come on, games are no indicator of CPU speed.

Ryzen 9 3900X w/ NH-U14s on MSI X570 Unify
    32 GB Patriot Viper Steel 3733 CL14 (1.51v)
    RX 5700 XT w/ 2x 120mm fan mod (2 GHz)
    Tons of NVMe & SATA SSDs
    LG 27GL850 + Asus MG279Q
    Meshify C white

Xtreme Cruncher
    You need to start crunching try WCG that'll make you want to oc the hell out of your cpu

Banned
    but ast least you are doing somethings with it ehh?

video editing and encoding is my thing aprt from gaming and have a few comparisons for you, it also justifies the clocks that i get too

for me this is everything and justifies any overclock i get, i capture and encode a tone of video, and have done for years.

any saving on time is a plus for me.

and i do realise your post was tongue in cheek, just gave a serious answer thats all.

Xtreme Addict
    Its kinda nice to be in this place for once. After chasing more and more and more performance for the last 20 years I feel like I finely got there. The software folks are slacking and not keeping up with todays hardware it seems. Maybe once we get Win7 and DX11 we can get back to squeezing out every last drop of performance to get 30fps in our games.
    Particle's First Rule of Online Technical Discussion:
    As a thread about any computer related subject has its length approach infinity, the likelihood and inevitability of a poorly constructed AMD vs. Intel fight also exponentially increases.

Rule 1A:
    Likewise, the frequency of a car pseudoanalogy to explain a technical concept increases with thread length. This will make many people chuckle, as computer people are rarely knowledgeable about vehicular mechanics.

Rule 2:
    When confronted with a post that is contrary to what a poster likes, believes, or most often wants to be correct, the poster will pick out only minor details that are largely irrelevant in an attempt to shut out the conflicting idea. The core of the post will be left alone since it isn't easy to contradict what the person is actually saying.

Rule 2A:
    When a poster cannot properly refute a post they do not like (as described above), the poster will most likely invent fictitious counter-points and/or begin to attack the other's credibility in feeble ways that are dramatic but irrelevant. Do not underestimate this tactic, as in the online world this will sway many observers. Do not forget: Correctness is decided only by what is said last, the most loudly, or with greatest repetition.

Remember: When debating online, everyone else is ALWAYS wrong if they do not agree with you!

V3 Xeons coming soon!
    If you guys think the new single sockets from any company are fast you should try a dualie for work like video encoding.
    8 cores of brutal power and even at 100% load they don't slow down.
    Expensive yes, but when encoding you got to see the speed to beleive it.
    Crunch with us, the XS WCG team
    The XS WCG team needs your support.
    A good project with good goals.
    Come join us,get that warm fuzzy feeling that you've done something good for mankind.

Quote Originally Posted by Frisch View Post
    If you have lost faith in humanity, then hold a newborn in your hands.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Not quite sure I'd ever see a thread like this. But yeah, i agree the performance boost is next to nil in daily tasks. Why don't you sign up for WCG or F@H if you have unused cpu poser? Just a thought
    SOGOs > BOGOs

Xtreme Addict
    My Phenom II chewed up and spit out a 230mb file conversion from AVI to H.264 with AVS in 6 minutes. I think I need to bring that down to 5. Thank you so much Soundood. You also get +rep cause you watch Knight Rider on the move LOL.
    Core i7 2600K@4.6Ghz| 16GB G.Skill@2133Mhz 9-11-10-28-38 1.65v| ASUS P8Z77-V PRO | Corsair 750i PSU | ASUS GTX 980 OC | Xonar DSX | Samsung 840 Pro 128GB |A bunch of HDDs and terabytes | Oculus Rift w/ touch | ASUS 24" 144Hz G-sync monitor

Hail fellow warrior albeit a surat Mercenary. I Hail to you from the Clans, Ghost Bear that is (Yes freebirth we still do and shall always view mercenaries with great disdain!) I have long been an honorable warrior of the mighty Warden Clan Ghost Bear the honorable Bekker surname. I salute your tenacity to show your freebirth sibkin their ignorance!

the jedi master
    In the scale of things the OP is dead right, I have been testing PH2 for a few weeks, 3.8 to 4GHZ was easy, 8GB ram 1066 was easy...was it fast..YUP well it felt fast then i slammed an SSD on there and boom now it felt really fast

I think AMD have hit that plateau Intel did with core2 where you start to get bored with clocking...horrid to say it out loud i know. Its now time for faster interconnect, SSD and pushing more to GPU/ co processor.

Phenom 2 has to be up there for me with my 185 opty and ther 165 dual core i ran on my uber Expert board, 4GB ram ddr500 3-3-2-8 2.35V was wonderful and im getting the same warm feeling from my new AMD CPU's but clocking them up while still fun has lost a little of the edge it used to have.

I still feel its miles more fun tweaking AMD CPU's over Intel ones...and I own the best both players have at this time.

Great 1st post Mechromancer
    Got a problem with your OCZ product....?
    Have a look over here
    Tony AKA BigToe

Tuning PC's for speed...Run whats fast, not what you think is fast

Xtreme Cruncher
    I know what ya mean. My 940BE was fun, then I realized it was fast and unless I do some extreme cold I didn't see me tweaking it much anymore. I set it at 3.6ghz stock v's and let it go at that. Then I got the 720BE. I must admit, the whole 4th core thing intrigued me. I got excited again. I now run 4cores like it was ment to be one. benches like my 940BE and scores higher. I don't think I'll be buying another Phenom II for a while, Unless something with less voltage and higher clocks rolls out. I have moved on to cranking up the GPU's.
    Last edited by charged3800z24; 03-15-2009 at 05:03 PM.
    ~1~
    AMD Ryzen 9 3900X
    GigaByte X570 AORUS LITE
    Trident-Z 3200 CL14 16GB
    AMD Radeon VII
    ~2~
    AMD Ryzen ThreadRipper 2950x
    Asus Prime X399-A
    GSkill Flare-X 3200mhz, CAS14, 64GB
    AMD RX 5700 XT

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by Tony View Post
    In the scale of things the OP is dead right, I have been testing PH2 for a few weeks, 3.8 to 4GHZ was easy, 8GB ram 1066 was easy...was it fast..YUP well it felt fast then i slammed an SSD on there and boom now it felt really fast

I think AMD have hit that plateau Intel did with core2 where you start to get bored with clocking...horrid to say it out loud i know. Its now time for faster interconnect, SSD and pushing more to GPU/ co processor.

Phenom 2 has to be up there for me with my 185 opty and ther 165 dual core i ran on my uber Expert board, 4GB ram ddr500 3-3-2-8 2.35V was wonderful and im getting the same warm feeling from my new AMD CPU's but clocking them up while still fun has lost a little of the edge it used to have.

I still feel its miles more fun tweaking AMD CPU's over Intel ones...and I own the best both players have at this time.

Great 1st post Mechromancer
    A fellow former-Opty 185 user!

Tony, I completely agree with you. It definitely is time for them to work on the infrastructure a bit. Hopefully we'll see big improvements with 890FX/SB800 motherboards on that front. I'd also hope AMD can get a Phenom 2.5 or 3.0 out the door with tweaks that allow it to take full advantage of all it's memory bandwidth.

Then again it is already stupid fast as is. I doubt I'll upgrade again until the software industry catches up requires all that extra bandwidth and multicore horsepower. I'm anticipating the day when I actually need to clock to 4Ghz just to make a program "fast enough" again.

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mechromancer View Post
    I'm dissatisfied with it. Why, you ask? Because:
    It is just too damn fast!
    Now I know I can't be the only one having this painful experience. What do you guys think about this tragedy in the world of AMD enthusiasts?
    Is this a joke? Please lay off the

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by Eternalightwith View Post
    Is this a joke? Please lay off the
    What are you on about?

He's pretty right. OC'ing has been a big hobby of me, but since AM2 Ive yet to see such a huge increase in performance which makes me feel like YEAH!. The only thing Ive to fall back to is that Ive, in this case, a 4.2Ghz i7 for 265 Euro while the 3.2Ghz one runs 1GHz lower for 1000 Euro.

same as with my old Opty although you could see a speede increase there. had a opty 146 running at 2.8Ghz. I was seriously pissed it didnt go further while loads hit 3GHz. At once I saw the light and was satisfied since the FX-57 ran at the same speed for 8 times the price of my CPU.

But I also think that the longer you OC the more easy you go and get a better quality product which also increases speed from default settings (like chosing a 940BE over a 920). Compared to the old opty's you're quite a few levels higher when you get a PhII BE. PhII BE is aimed at a different market, exactly what we want to do. Those opty's weren't but were known to clock damn good.

Hope you guys understand a bit what I mean
    Synaptic Overflow

CPU:
    -Intel Core i7 920 3841A522
    --CPU: 4200Mhz| Vcore: +120mV| Uncore: 3200Mhz| VTT: +100mV| Turbo: On| HT: Off
    ---CPU block: EK Supreme Acetal| Radiator: TCF X-Changer 480mm
    Motherboard:
    -Foxconn Bloodrage P06
    --Blck: 200Mhz| QPI: 3600Mhz
    Graphics:
    -Sapphire Radeon HD 4870X2
    --GPU: 750Mhz| GDDR: 900Mhz
    RAM:
    -3x 2GB Mushkin XP3-12800
    --Mhz: 800Mhz| Vdimm: 1.65V| Timings: 7-8-7-20-1T
    Storage:
    -3Ware 9650SE-2LP RAID controller
    --2x Western Digital 74GB Raptor RAID 0
    PSU:
    -Enermax Revolution 85+ 1250W
    -Windows Vista Business x64

ORDERED: Sapphire HD 5970 OC
    LOOKING FOR: 2x G.Skill Falcon II 128GB SSD, Windows 7

Banned
    My Phenom II chewed up and spit out a 230mb file conversion from AVI to H.264 with AVS in 6 minutes. I think I need to bring that down to 5. Thank you so much Soundood. You also get +rep cause you watch Knight Rider on the move LOL.
    just to finish off some things in this forum, here is my latest result

your gonna love this, i have just finished a few optimisations on this board, and have basicaly smashed my last record for encoding

yep that 3 full minutes taken of of that time

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by soundood View Post
    just to finish off some things in this forum, here is my latest result

your gonna love this, i have just finished a few optimisations on this board, and have basicaly smashed my last record for encoding

yep that 3 full minutes taken of of that time
    WTF DID YOU OPTIMIZE MAN?! You went from over 5 minutes to 2.5 minutes with only a 100mhz increase in speed?! Did you find SMT in the BIOS or something?

What? You crazy?

Nothing can EVER be too fast
    The Cardboard Master
    Crunch with us, the XS WCG team
    Intel Core i7 2600k @ 4.5GHz, 16GB DDR3-1600, Radeon 7950 @ 1000/1250, Win 10 Pro x64

Xtreme Member
    3 full minutes for 100MHz increase in clock speed

My money is on magic pixie dust

Banned
    WTF DID YOU OPTIMIZE MAN?! You went from over 5 minutes to 2.5 minutes with only a 100mhz increase in speed?! Did you find SMT in the BIOS or something?
    nothing too complicated, all the previous benches where at stock HTT, and stock NB and Mem timings.

after upping the NB to 2800 and using 250 x 14, with ram at 500 4-4-4-12

this is what i get

all i can say is wow, and to be honest i dont really know how it has happened, the last 3.4 gig bench was with this board, so its not the board change.

i guess this app just loves the high NB and HTT

Xtreme Mentor
    Quote Originally Posted by soundood View Post
    nothing too complicated, all the previous benches where at stock HTT, and stock NB and Mem timings.

after upping the NB to 2800 and using 250 x 14, with ram at 500 4-4-4-12

this is what i get

all i can say is wow, and to be honest i dont really know how it has happened, the last 3.4 gig bench was with this board, so its not the board change.

i guess this app just loves the high NB and HTT
    Northbridge L3 cache MHZ the phenom's secret weapon
    HAVE NO FEAR!
    "AMD fallen angel"
    Quote Originally Posted by Gamekiller View Post
    You didn't get the memo? 1 hour 'Fugger time' is equal to 12 hours of regular time.

Awesomeness....I shall assume/guess that in the last run perhaps you switched from ganged to UNganged which would account for such a large decrease in time encoding.

Either that or you really do have some magic pixie dust!

Kei

(Btw, I agree with the OP in that the PII is just too damn fast to bother haha)
    Phenom II X4 955 running 3.2Ghz @ 1.168v| Gigabyte MA770T (temp board)| ATi 5770|G.Skill 4Gb 1866Mhz cas8 1T Ripjaws| Cooler Master 650W| 160& 250Gb HDD's non raid config| CD/DVD Burner| HD DVD Drive| Blu-ray DVD Drive| Cooler Master V8 stock fan on lowest setting (lapped)

Ah, okay so maybe I should've read your FULL post first and noticed that you were running stock NB the other times and now ran it at 2.8Ghz which is a massive ridiculous gain in speed. Demon is right L3/Northbridge speed is the Phenom's secret weapon.

Kei
    Phenom II X4 955 running 3.2Ghz @ 1.168v| Gigabyte MA770T (temp board)| ATi 5770|G.Skill 4Gb 1866Mhz cas8 1T Ripjaws| Cooler Master 650W| 160& 250Gb HDD's non raid config| CD/DVD Burner| HD DVD Drive| Blu-ray DVD Drive| Cooler Master V8 stock fan on lowest setting (lapped)

Xtreme Addict
    Ok now I have a renewed interest in overclocking. My NB is at 2.4Ghz. Soundood, can we make an arrangement for me to get that KnightRider.avi vid from you? I want to test with the exact same file you're using. Also what are the core and NB voltages you're using to get to those HTT and NB speeds?

Brilliant Idiot
    Ok now I have a renewed interest in overclocking. My NB is at 2.4Ghz. Soundood, can we make an arrangement for me to get that KnightRider.avi vid from you? I want to test with the exact same file you're using. Also what are the core and NB voltages you're using to get to those HTT and NB speeds?
    I agree this will be fun, I want in. The AMD knightrider.avi to .mp4 conversion bench
    heatware chew*
    I've got no strings to hold me down.
    To make me fret, or make me frown.
    I had strings but now I'm free.
    There are no strings on me

Banned
    hey no problem, vcore 1.45 v NB 1.3, using 1066 ram at 800 mhz, 250 HTT x 14 multi

now do you have a copy of AVS Video convertor 6?

the file is easy, i will upload it to mininova for you and PM you the link, not sure direct links to torrent sites are allowed for this kind of content, i suspect it is borderline. after all this will still have a copyright issue

your cool with torrents ehh?

Xtreme Addict
    lol @ the new KnightRider.avi bench

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast