Page 21 of 30 FirstFirst ... 1118192021222324 ... LastLast

Thread: Liquid Cooling Render Gallery

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Great work metric, i really like that

Xtreme Member
    jesus Mick64, we get it.
    That case is BEAUTIFUL, probably best laid out wc'ing case ever.

WHERE ARE WE GOING TO SEE THE HARD VERSION?

hey fellows, i m totally blasted from all these render pics. so much incredible ideas you re creating, but is there anyone of you who is building them for real? for testing and if yes, what are the developement costs? are there any companies coming up to you to get ideas and designs?

regards

Flaggschiff

@Metric
    this has to be one of the most beautiful water blocks i have ever seen it is clean and looks amazing

Xtreme Enthusiast

INTRO

In this tutorial I'll be using Solidworks 2009 for modeling, Rhino 4.0 for scene setup and Maxwell Render 1.7.1 for the rendering. Maxwell Render is supported by numerous software packages (Solidworks, Rhino, Google Sketchup, Cinema 4D, etc. A list can be found on the Maxwell Render site, http://www.maxwellrender.com).

Each software group follows the same rules when applying Maxwell Materials (.mxm files). I'll be using Rhino as my scene setup software and the process in which materials are applied should be nearly the same for Solidworks, Sketchup and so forth.

TUTORIAL RESOURCES

HDRI Lighting Environments: http://files.getdropbox.com/u/2028/Tutorial/hdri.zip

Maxwell Materials: To be added!

Maxwell Render Website: http://www.maxwellrender.com

Maxwell Render Material Gallery: http://mxmgallery.maxwellrender.com/

Maxwell Solidworks Help Guide: http://www.maxwellrender.com/manual/...help/index.htm

McMaster-Carr: http://www.mcmaster.com

THE DESIGN

In nearly all of my watercooling block designs, they are physically correct in dimensions and scale. For this tutorial, I'll show the making of the 680i MOSFET waterblock posted earlier in this thread.

Taking the MOSFET heatsink off of my dead 680i board, I went and measured the mounting dimensions with my digital calipers (These can be found at Home Depot/Lowes/Etc for around $25.00-$35.00 USD).

I also measured the length and the height required to clear the R50 chokes (68mm and 7mm respectively)

After taking these measurements, I start sketching out the base in Solidworks.

Note that the height of the base (11.75mm) is less than the standard diameter of a G1/4 tap (11.8mm) and necessary O-Ring groove, so an "adapter" will be needed to have any fittings work. This is where the mid-section and top designs come into play.

Each section (base, mid and top) and complementing O-Rings are then put together into an Assembly file. The Bitspower Shining Silver barbs are made by evil-98 on Xtreme Systems and I still need to see if I have permission to post the .SLDPRT file (will be under the resources section once I can). Hex cap models and dimensions can also be downloaded at McMaster-Carr: http://www.mcmaster.com/.

RENDERING THE SCENE

After finishing up the MOSFET block in Solidworks, I setup a simple studio setup in Rhino (Solidworks users will have to create an assembly with each piece (floor, lights, etc) and work from there)

MATERIALS, LIGHTING AND CAMERA SETTINGS

Materials are simply applied by adding them to the current Scene Manager from the Materials Library. They are then applied by selecting the desired objects and right-clicking on the wanted material in the Scene Manager and selecting "Apply to Selected Objects". A ZIP file of some starting materials (Copper, Acetal/Delrin, Acrylic, etc) will be added at the beginning of this tutorial later this week.

LIGHTING

Unless you are dealing with a very large scene (working in meters, not millimeters), the supplied HDRI environments will work just fine (Reflections can become blocky/pixelated if the HDRI isn't a high enough resolution for the scene). HDRI's can be applied under the Environment box in Maxwell Studio or the equivalent software plugin window. For the camera, settings such as ISO Speed, F-Stop can be used to control the DOF. For the provided HDRIs, the camera's EV should be set to 9 (Default is 13).

RENDERING

After tweaking with the camera settings, the final step is to render. After clicking the Render button/menu item in your software's Maxwell plugin, a command window should briefly popup and then Maxwell Render should start up and begin rendering your scene.

Each SL or Sampling Level doubles in duration (i.e. If SL 1.0 takes 3 seconds, SL 2.0 would take 6 seconds, SL 3.0 would take 12 seconds, etc). As the SL increase, noise is also halved. A good quality-to-noise ratio is usually achieved after a SL of 14. The time is obviously dependent on the materials used and the complexity of the scene. To reach a SL of at least 14 can take anywhere from 15 minutes to over an hour on my system (Vista 64, 3.6GHz Q6600, 4GB DDR2-800).

CONCLUSION

Hope this tutorial helped shed some light on how to work with Solidworks and render using Maxwell Render. If you have any questions or found an error, feel free to email/PM me.
    Last edited by Metric; 07-15-2009 at 02:54 PM.
    [ 3770K @ 4.2 : H100i : ASRock Z77E-ITX : GTX560 Ti : 16GB DDR3 1800 : +4TB : Bitfenix Prodigy : 2x Dell S2340M : Filco Majestouch-2 [Cherry Brown] : BX8a Deluxe]

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Nice tutorial Metric!

Now all I need to do is find the cash to purchase Solidworks and Maxwell....

HOW MUCH!
    System :- Gunmetal Antec P182 : Antec Quattro 850 : Asus P5E Deluxe : Intel Q9550 (E0) @ 4004MHz (8.5 x 471 FSB) 1.4 volts (VID: 1.3v) : 8Gb 1100 OCZ Gold XTC @ 942MHz 2.0 volts (5-5-5-15) : Gainward GTX 570 GS GLH (GPU: 800MHz, Shader: 1600MHz, Memory: 2000MHz) : 1x 128Gb Crucial RealSSD + Asus U3S6 (OS) : 1x 1Tb & 2x 500Gb Samsung Spinpoints (Storage) : Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium (64bit)

Cooling : 4x Sharkoon Eagle 2000's (Case) : 3x Scythe Gentle Typhoons (R120-T rad) : 4x Scythe Gentle Typhoons (RS 240 rad in push-pull) : Akasa Fan Control Pro : Stepped Aquacomputer Cuplex XT di : EK FC5X0 GTX GW - Nickel (GTX 570) : Swiftech MCP355 : 1x XSPC R120-T : 1x XSPC RS 240 : XSPC Bay Reservoir : XSPC 1/2" Tubing : Blue Feser One Coolant

Check out my water-cooling case design:- Here & Here
    Find SketchUp Computer Components Here
    Download my case design SketchUp files from Here

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Great work and thanks metric , will really help a fair few of us.

metric thanks for the answer and the good to understand tutorial. i think i will give my skills a try!

Xtreme Enthusiast

(Just a quick AA render in Cobalt v8 )

I am Xtreme
    Quote Originally Posted by Mankz_91 View Post

(Just a quick AA render in Cobalt v8 )
    Nice! Is that for Watery? Isn't it gonna be kind of a pain to drain the coolant though?
    Circles SucQ!

If your annoyed by sigs telling you to put things in your sig, then put this in your sig

Bribery won't work on me...just say NO to AT!!!

Xtreme Enthusiast
    It is one of the possible designs for the new revision, yes.
    As for the draining, I think the entire project is rather more about form than function

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Metric View Post

Thank you so much for this!
    Very helpfull

Xtreme Member
    I know it's a gallery so I'm sorry for not posting pics.

Does anyone know how to make basic fonts into live objects in AutoCAD 2010?
    I can't extrude or do anything but basically scale them.

I would like to make them into some kind of polylines and make them into 3D-blocks.

Cheers!
    Fractal Design Array mITX
    LC Worklog: Project Purple Haze
    LianLi V1000
    LC Worklog: Project Crystal Clear
    LianLi A05
    LC Worklog: Project Simplicity

Xtreme Addict
    anyone have never had an idea to full mobo wateblock?

full cover: cpu-northbridge-soutbridge-vrm-etc

anyone try to make a render?

maybe with the most famous mobo?

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by Andrea deluxe View Post

wow... that will need a lot of materials...

i guess the derlins can cover the distance and save some... but still would be costly...

would like to see tho...
    "The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands in times challenge and controversy."
    Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.

DIY: Self Clinching Nuts

Canon EOS 7D | Tokina 12-24mm f/4 | Canon EF 24-105 f/4 L | Canon EF 70-200 f/2.8 L IS Mk II | Canon EF 35mm f/1.4 L | Canon EF 400mm f/5.6 L | Canon EF 100-400mm f/4-5.6 L

I am Xtreme
    Quote Originally Posted by Andrea deluxe View Post

Quote Originally Posted by kinghong1970 View Post
    wow... that will need a lot of materials...

i guess the derlins can cover the distance and save some... but still would be costly...

would like to see tho...
    Innovatek tried something like that (and utterly failed) with the P5E. They didn't get the SB but they got the CPU, NB and the VRegs.

http://www.frozencpu.com/products/72...3s804b22#blank
    Circles SucQ!

If your annoyed by sigs telling you to put things in your sig, then put this in your sig

Bribery won't work on me...just say NO to AT!!!

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Waterlogged View Post
    Innovatek tried something like that (and utterly failed) with the P5E. They didn't get the SB but they got the CPU, NB and the VRegs.

http://www.frozencpu.com/products/72...3s804b22#blank
    Vadim designed one for all of the P5K series, but it was never put into production. I'm pretty sure its printed in the 2007 Custom PC dream PC mag.

Xtreme Addict
    thanks metric. Just a question for you, solidworks have a grid system when you go to isometric view showing xyz? Could we get clickable pictures that enlarge so that we could see the gui? A video would be nice too =P

Sorry if this is too demanding, but I just started cad work in mastercam and finished my first wb model. Is solidworks anything like it, or is it completely different?

Metric, can you post a tutorial on how to do the scene setup is solidworks for people that don't have rhino?
    Last edited by Boogerlad; 07-27-2009 at 08:22 AM.

Here's my try...
    Rendered in VRay
    I don't have this block so all dimensions come from photos.
    Still working on lighting and shaders...

@Koen looks very realistic very much like a picture

and thanks for the tutorial Metric

STRMX - thank you

Here's further progress, with some photoshop post-processing:
    Last edited by Koen; 08-06-2009 at 03:08 AM.

Xtreme Addict
    I have to learn how to fix lighting in my render. It looks too dark in mine. Can anyone with maxwell and solidworks help me?

Xtreme Addict
    First render guys. I know I need to fix the lighting. Other than that, what else should I do? How would I render screw threads too?

It took 19 hours to render this on an e1200 at 2.8ghz.
    Last edited by Boogerlad; 08-12-2009 at 03:29 AM.

Xtreme Member
    Here's the lightened one Boogerlad

vuuuu

Xtreme Addict
    how did you do that? Photoshop? I probably need to add emitters and some bsdfs to the model. The solidworks lighting has no effect on the maxwell lighting.

Page 21 of 30 FirstFirst ... 1118192021222324 ... LastLast