Thread: my 4870 SUCKS

Xtreme Member

my 4870 SUCKS

so i reciently got an ATI 4870 and am getting some crap performance from it. the issue seems to be loading textures into memory. Whenever i turn a corner in a game i get a really low(2-5) fps for a couple seconds then after that the game will play perfectly.

i also seem to be getting very low performance, in the crysis benchmark with all settings to medium, no AA, and at 1280x1024 i only get around 15fps on the first run, then each time i run it in a row it raises as it seems all the textures get put in memory. The second run tends to be around 30fps then the third around 35.

im using a saphire 4870. i have tried it in xp32, vista64, server 2008 64bit. they were all fresh installs with the exception of xp32. i have tried the 8.6 hotfix, 8.8 and 8.9. i have even tried flashing the cards bios to see if that would fix it.

im considering RMAing the card and getting one of the new 216shader GTX260. help stop me
    CPU:X3210 G0@3.6 (8x450 1.48v)
    MOBO: Asus P5K Premium, bios 402
    RAM: 4x 1GB DDR2-1066 @ 1080 5-5-5-15 2.3v
    CASE: antec 900
    GPU: XFX GeForce 7900gt @600/1900
    PSU: silverstone OP1000
    Cooling: MCP655, Apogee GT, MCR320-QP-K

Xtreme Addict
    i'd say try replacing it first, or returning it for one of those fancy new 1gb cards.
    but try a replacement definitely--bum cards happen.

Xtreme Member
    yeah but what do i list the issue as in an RMA report

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by dunn2953 View Post
    so i reciently got an ATI 4870 and am getting some crap performance from it. the issue seems to be loading textures into memory. Whenever i turn a corner in a game i get a really low(2-5) fps for a couple seconds then after that the game will play perfectly.

i also seem to be getting very low performance, in the crysis benchmark with all settings to medium, no AA, and at 1280x1024 i only get around 15fps on the first run, then each time i run it in a row it raises as it seems all the textures get put in memory. The second run tends to be around 30fps then the third around 35.

im using a saphire 4870. i have tried it in xp32, vista64, server 2008 64bit. they were all fresh installs with the exception of xp32. i have tried the 8.6 hotfix, 8.8 and 8.9. i have even tried flashing the cards bios to see if that would fix it.

im considering RMAing the card and getting one of the new 216shader GTX260. help stop me
    Why don't you bench it with something other than Crysis, which no card does well with?

4870s are way too fast to "suck".

I'd put it in a friend's machine and test it also.
    Intel 990x/Corsair H80 /Asus Rampage III
    Coolermaster HAF932 case
    Patriot 3 X 2GB
    EVGA GTX Titan SC
    Dell 3008

Mine works fine. But I've not tried it in Crysis. Does it do this in all games or just crysis? Do try it in another system just to be sure...
    I'm just curious, what is your PSU?

If you RMA, list it as random performance crashes or something like that. Explain what happens and what you've done to try and fix it (be sure to list operating system changes, driver changes, etc). Or call them and talk to someone directly, might be easier to explain over the phone.
    The Cardboard Master
    Crunch with us, the XS WCG team
    Intel Core i7 2600k @ 4.5GHz, 16GB DDR3-1600, Radeon 7950 @ 1000/1250, Win 10 Pro x64

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rollo View Post
    Why don't you bench it with something other than Crysis, which no card does well with?

4870s are way too fast to "suck".

I'd put it in a friend's machine and test it also.
    it happens in all games, i cant even play 4 year old need for speed games since the scenery changes fast. though i havent tried it in a friends computer. Ha all my friends are stuck with AGP, suckas.

Quote Originally Posted by SparkyJJO View Post
    Mine works fine. But I've not tried it in Crysis. Does it do this in all games or just crysis? Do try it in another system just to be sure...
    I'm just curious, what is your PSU?

If you RMA, list it as random performance crashes or something like that. Explain what happens and what you've done to try and fix it (be sure to list operating system changes, driver changes, etc). Or call them and talk to someone directly, might be easier to explain over the phone.
    My PSU is a Silverstone OP1000 so i doubt thats the issue though i really have no way to test it.

Thanks for the advice on the RMA

Xtreme Member

Hello
    You should try this little utility

Video Memory stress Test

http://mikelab.kiev.ua/index.php?page=PROGRAMS/vmt_en

Try this and see if it finds any errors.

Banned
    it happens in all games, i cant even play 4 year old need for speed games since the scenery changes fast. though i havent tried it in a friends computer. Ha all my friends are stuck with AGP, suckas.
    I am sorry, but this sounds just a little bit shady.

First of all you open a topic named "My 4870 SUCKS", instead of "Problem with my 4870".
    Then you claim it fails to run all games properly because the scenery changes too fast.

Ehm what?
    Be more specific, you look like a troll.

Xtreme Member
    since my HHD died ive have had nothing but probs with my setup ....i thought it was the gfx card (4870)....i tryed numerous fixes / drivers ...formatted it god knows how many times and still the system was unstable to say the least.
    i put back in my old 1900xt and the system was fine and solid...swapped back to 4870 and bang it would crash out to black screen / fans spinning....the only thing i overlooked was the X38-DS5 bios ....problem solved .....but i didnt just jump on the forums and proclaim my card SUCK's ....because it didnt ...i did .....i now no longer suck and my system loves meh !!.
    point being i just didnt give up !!

Xtreme Addict
    Mine has no problem with scenery. And how does the scenery change too fast? Compared to what? What is fast?

Maybe its stuttering when loading chunks of the level from ram, or the hdd.
    E8400 @ 4.0 | ASUS P5Q-E P45 | 4GB Mushkin Redline DDR2-1000 | WD SE16 640GB | HD4870 ASUS Top | Antec 300 | Noctua & Thermalright Cool
    Windows 7 Professional x64

Vista & Seven Tweaks, Tips, and Tutorials: http://www.vistax64.com/

Game's running choppy? See: http://www.tweakguides.com/

Xtreme Mentor
    Sounds to me like the card is defective, or a BIOS/Windows/other settings is bunked somewhere.

For my part I know nothing with any certainty, but the sight of the stars makes me dream.

Xtreme Addict
    There are other things that could be going wrong if something else is dead in the system or the OC is not stable anymore. I was noticing problems for a few days until I found out when I corrupted my BIOS it reverted back to the original 2 days before. The newer BIOS helped overclock A LOT. After reflashing the problems went away.

Xtreme Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by Yukon Trooper View Post
    Sounds to me like the card is defective, or a BIOS/Windows/other settings is bunked somewhere.
    I dont think the card is defective, always try it on another pc before rma.

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by GAR View Post
    lol everyone has a second high performance PC laying around right?? I sink all of my $$$ into one system. Other than that there is a work laptop and a SFF HP machine niether can take a good video card.

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by ewitte View Post
    lol everyone has a second high performance PC laying around right?? I sink all of my $$$ into one system. Other than that there is a work laptop and a SFF HP machine niether can take a good video card.
    Not necessarily your PC. Another PC.
    E8400 @ 4.0 | ASUS P5Q-E P45 | 4GB Mushkin Redline DDR2-1000 | WD SE16 640GB | HD4870 ASUS Top | Antec 300 | Noctua & Thermalright Cool
    Windows 7 Professional x64

Vista & Seven Tweaks, Tips, and Tutorials: http://www.vistax64.com/

Game's running choppy? See: http://www.tweakguides.com/

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by AKM View Post
    Hello
    You should try this little utility

Video Memory stress Test

http://mikelab.kiev.ua/index.php?page=PROGRAMS/vmt_en

Try this and see if it finds any errors.
    thanks looks like a useful utility, though it didnt find any errors

Quote Originally Posted by Miss Banana View Post
    I am sorry, but this sounds just a little bit shady.

First of all you open a topic named "My 4870 SUCKS", instead of "Problem with my 4870".
    Then you claim it fails to run all games properly because the scenery changes too fast.

Ehm what?
    Be more specific, you look like a troll.
    you should know that on this forum we tend to have very few trolls of which i am not one. i named my topic this because i knew it would get responses and views. thanks for your useless post

Quote Originally Posted by Dragy2k View Post
    since my HHD died ive have had nothing but probs with my setup ....i thought it was the gfx card (4870)....i tryed numerous fixes / drivers ...formatted it god knows how many times and still the system was unstable to say the least.
    i put back in my old 1900xt and the system was fine and solid...swapped back to 4870 and bang it would crash out to black screen / fans spinning....the only thing i overlooked was the X38-DS5 bios ....problem solved .....but i didnt just jump on the forums and proclaim my card SUCK's ....because it didnt ...i did .....i now no longer suck and my system loves meh !!.
    point being i just didnt give up !!
    it seems asus has just released a new bios for my motherboard. ill give it a try and hopefully that will fix the issue. thanks for the advice

Quote Originally Posted by B.E.E.F. View Post
    Mine has no problem with scenery. And how does the scenery change too fast? Compared to what? What is fast?

Maybe its stuttering when loading chunks of the level from ram, or the hdd.
    its not really how fast it changes its more of whenever it changes and has to show something it hasn't shown before. im starting to question it being something wrong with my northbridge ram controller. look at this picture for why. (note superfetch is disabled. and 2gb of ram is in my system)

Quote Originally Posted by GAR View Post
    i would do this but none of my friends are at all into computers, the only person i know with PCIe is my girlfriend and thats on a mac
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	memory leak.jpg 
Views:	549 
Size:	61.4 KB 
ID:	85894  

c[_]
    Whats your page file set to?

All along the watchtower the watchmen watch the eternal return.

Xtreme Member
    its set the windows default of when the ram is 2gb. so i think it should be set to 4gb. dont see why that would make ram mysteriously be used and not be able to see where

c[_]
    Bump it to 4096-4096 or around there. Probably a good idea to enable some large memory switches (/PAE, /3GB iirc) since you're probably still on a 32-bit OS which will only see about 2.75-3.5GB of your memory.

All along the watchtower the watchmen watch the eternal return.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Something's definitely wrong w/ the card. I run Crysis in 1600x1200 with everything on Very High and get pretty smooth frame rates. Try having it replaced as defective -- for reason say performance is not where it should be given comparisons to other 4870 machines. If they won't RMA it when clearly something is wrong with it, then you may have to "fenaggle" your way through the RMA process.
    ASRock 990FX Extreme4
    AMD FX 8350
    Kingston 16GB (4GBx4) DDR3 1333
    Gigabyte NVidia GTX 680 2GB
    Silverstone 1000W PSU

Xtreme Addict
    @ The OP, defragment your hard disk.

Xtreme Mentor
    Quote Originally Posted by Razrback16 View Post
    Something's definitely wrong w/ the card. I run Crysis in 1600x1200 with everything on Very High and get pretty smooth frame rates. Try having it replaced as defective -- for reason say performance is not where it should be given comparisons to other 4870 machines. If they won't RMA it when clearly something is wrong with it, then you may have to "fenaggle" your way through the RMA process.
    look a few posts up It wont be his card imo

something is definatley wrong with the amount of ram usage is that on a generall idle desktop or during a game?
    "Cast off your fear. Look forward. Never stand still, retreat and you will age. Hesitate and you will die. SHOUT! My name is…"
    //James

Xtreme Member
    im laying a $1000 on it being the bios ........