Page 1 of 6 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Nvidia should be boycotted by XS members. [opinion]

Banned

Exclamation Nvidia should be boycotted by XS members. [opinion]

Competition is great, it keeps prices low, makes companies try hard, and stimulates innovation at a fast pace. As competition gets fierce, sometimes companies do things that are not considered "fair" by most people.

One example is intel paying dell not to do business with AMD. While this is not yet 100% proven, one can safely assume intel did things that border on the edge of legal, to keep AMD out of certain market divisions. Something intel will likely have to pay for when investigations in several parts of the world come to a conclusion.

Some companies however go a step further and spend money and energy on -instead of improving their own product- making the competing companies products worse.

What the hell? How can a company make someone else's product worse?
    That would be like intel going undercover in AMD's development team, screwing up designs of upcoming processors.

Ridiculous?

This is what nvidia does.
    Not going undercover in ati's development team of course, but spending money and energy into making ati's offerings perform worse.
    One of the examples that -so far- has been revealed is the rendering issues with the game Tiger Woods Golf.

In this game it is impossible to select a certain high resolution, or to see the water rendered properly, unless you play on nvidia hardware. A hardware issue with ati hardware maybe? Not really. If you trick the game into thinking your ati card is actually an nvidia card, all issues are resolved.

http://www.rage3d.com/board/showthread.php?t=33727194

A more recent example is the Assassins Creed controversy.
    First a tech-site (rage3d) finds out that Assassins Creed uses directx 10.1, an api supported by ATI and S3 hardware long before nvidia supported it.
    Then after some testing, it appears directx 10.1 improves performance and IQ.

And then Ubisoft suddenly says directx 10.1 support will be removed in the next patch, because the current implementation is flawed. How it is flawed, or why it is wrong is not specified, and according to the tests, the directx 10.1 screenshots show no decrease in IQ, in fact it shows an increase.

http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/...=184822&page=9

For now the most logical theory is that nvidia pays Ubisoft to remove directx 10.1 support from the game, just like they paid the tiger woods development team to make the game run better on nvidia hardware.
    Some think this theory is far fetched.
    Why would nvidia pay any developer to cripple a game on competing hardware?

The first reason is to generate negative publicity about competing hardware.
    Those that like to play golf games, do not really care about why the water looks crappy on ati hardware, they just want to play the golf game without hassle, so pick nvidia hardware.

One other reason in regards to the AC issue, is that nvidia has been yelling quite loud that directx 10.1 is merely a minor extension, not attributing much importance to it. A 20% performance improvement for the competition is not only bad for benchmarks, but also for the public image of nvidia, as it makes the company look rather dumb, taking their previous statements about directx 10.1 into account.

http://www.neowin.net/news/main/07/1...ay-directx-101

These theories are always hard to prove, as companies will do everything to twist and turn the facts untill they are not to blame for anything, but to me, based on the information currently available, it is not far-fetched at all to think that nvidia may be playing dirty again.

What is the importance of all this? Why should XSers care about how companies try to compete with eachother?

Because all you tech enthusiast have the choice to support a companies strategy, by buying their products, or not support it, by buying the competitions hardware.

If noone cares about fair play and innovation, we will all end up with one company that becomes so big it can buy other companies into oblivion, using strategies such as used by nvidia and intel, raising prices and stalling innovation.
    Last edited by Jakko; 04-22-2008 at 11:15 AM.

Xtreme Member
    GO get a tinfoil had ASAP before nvidia reads your thoughts and sends their goons after you.
    EVGA z68 FTW
    i7 2600k @ 4.8
    8gb DDR3 1600
    3x GTX 580 3gb HydroCopper2
    Silverstone Strider 1500W
    Areca 1880i w/ 6x intel x25m
    On water

Xtreme Addict
    Tinfoil or not, here we go again!

It's not like this hasn't happened before. Maybe in your utopia, no. But it has happened before, and I wouldn't be surprised to see it happening again.

I hold back flames and fanboy statements simply because I'm burnt out of this dumbness, but when I read OP's post a little voice inside me said; "meh, I wouldn't be surprised at all."
    E7200 @ 3.4 ; 7870 GHz 2 GB
    Intel's atom is a terrible chip.

Xtreme Addict
    you cant have capitalism and free markets without downsides (i.e. companies throwing mud at each other and trying to ruin the success of the competition), sorry it sucks, but theres no way around it (no, communism isnt better and is allready a proven failure).

L-l-look at you, hacker.
    Quote Originally Posted by naokaji View Post
    you cant have capitalism and free markets without downsides (i.e. companies throwing mud at each other and trying to ruin the success of the competition), sorry it sucks, but theres no way around it
    What you're describing isn't capitalism - it's governance by a corporate elite. Capitalism does not mean that the rule of law and due process is supplanted or applies unequally; illegality is still illegality. In fact, capitalism relies on competition and a free market, both of which are served by having regulatory watchdogs that prevent non-competitive behaviour such as price fixing or lockout tactics.
    (no, communism isnt better and is allready a proven failure).
    Lies. There's never been a communist state; any theory that relies upon and rewards the better nature of man is fine with me.

But this is a little off-topic, no?
    Rig specs
    CPU: i7 5960X Mobo: Asus X99 Deluxe RAM: 4x4GB G.Skill DDR4-2400 CAS-15 VGA: 2x eVGA GTX680 Superclock PSU: Corsair AX1200

Foundational Falsehoods of Creationism

One-Eyed Killing Machine
    Sorry to ruin your rant, but:

1) The same thing has happened in the past for the other side as well.
    Can you really prove that it's nVIDIA or ATi who ASKED or DEMANDED as you wish the developers to cripple the counter-parts performance ?

2) When ATi was in shape and had decent GPUs, they were beating nVIDIA in "TWIMTBP" games ( TWIMTBP = The Way It's Meant To Be Played" games, developments sponsored by nVIDIA )... so what was wrong back then ?
    Nothing... ATi just had decent hardware, which was better than nVIDIA's in both performance and image quality.

3) Thinking about boycotting nVIDIA is a dream never come true, especially in this place, and of course, same goes for globally.

Xtreme Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by tet5uo View Post
    GO get a tinfoil had ASAP before nvidia reads your thoughts and sends their goons after you.
    Team.AU
    Got tube?
    GIGABYTE Australia
    Need a GIGABYTE bios or support?

Xtreme Cruncher
    It is amusing to see that you make these speculation that thus far,,, have not occurred with certainty. That will have to come in time. On the other hand, where I will sound very redundant, this is just the way things are in this world.
    Apple MBP 15": Intel T9400 (2x2.53GHz) | 2x2Gb DDR3 1066 | 9400M + 9600M GT | 250Gb 7200rpm
    Wish List: Return to desktop for some crunch action.

I am on... QuadCaine.

I am Xtreme
    Somebody call the waaaaaaahhhhhhhhmmmmbulance!

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by SoulsCollective View Post
    What you're describing isn't capitalism - it's governance by a corporate elite. Capitalism does not mean that the rule of law and due process is supplanted or applies unequally; illegality is still illegality. In fact, capitalism relies on competition and a free market, both of which are served by having regulatory watchdogs that prevent non-competitive behaviour such as price fixing or lockout tactics.
    Lies. There's never been a communist state; any theory that relies upon and rewards the better nature of man is fine with me.

But this is a little off-topic, no?
    off topic? well, somewhat, but at the same time not really since the "corporate freedom" is what allows nvidia to do such things without any fear of consequences (except the chance that ati can do the same).

Xtreme Addict
    He own stock in ATI
    Boy that info was old. As am I. Currently my kids have taken over my desktops. They are both sporting matching GTX1080's. Last Christmas I got everyone Oculuses and thus GTX1080's. My eldest is some sort of CSGO champion gold label something or other. Me I work and shoot real guns. Build Comps as needed.

I am Xtreme
    Quote Originally Posted by little_scrapper View Post
    He own stock in ATI

Quote Originally Posted by Jakko View Post
    This is what nvidia does.
    Not going undercover in ati's development team of course, but spending money and energy into making ati's offerings perform worse.
    One of the examples that -so far- has been revealed is the rendering issues with the game Tiger Woods Golf.

In this game it is impossible to select a certain high resolution, or to see the water rendered properly, unless you play on nvidia hardware. A hardware issue with ati hardware maybe? Not really. If you trick the game into thinking your ati card is actually an nvidia card, all issues are resolved.

http://www.rage3d.com/board/showthread.php?t=33727194
    at first u *seemed* to have a good point.. but the I checked the above link.. the thread is back in 2003

verdict?

get a life, stop spending ur time digging up that happened FIVE years ago

seriously, have u nothing better to do? ur basically trolling
    DNA = Design Not Accident
    DNA = Darwin Not Accurate

heatware / ebay
    HARDWARE I only own Xeons, Extreme Editions & Lian Li's
    https://prism-break.org/

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by tiro_uspsss View Post

at first u *seemed* to have a good point.. but the I checked the above link.. the thread is back in 2003

verdict?

A little harsh bro but I agree with that more or less...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	wambulance1.gif 
Views:	1157 
Size:	36.6 KB 
ID:	77139  
    Last edited by RAW-Raptor22; 04-22-2008 at 06:52 AM.
    |-------Conner-------|

RIP JimmyMoonDog

2,147,222 F@H Points - My F@H Statistics:
    http://fah-web.stanford.edu/cgi-bin/...e=Conman%5F530

I am Xtreme
    Quote Originally Posted by [cTx] Raptor22 View Post
    I little harsh bro but I agree with that more or less...
    the truth sometimes is

*mutters to himself: five yrs ago.. FIVE.. wth is that Jakko doing with his spare time..*

heatware / ebay

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by tiro_uspsss View Post

verdict?

If -not likely- you are interested in making a sensible reply, then maybe you should read the second half of the post as well tiro.

I am Xtreme
    If -not likely- you are interested in making a sensible reply, then maybe you should read the second half of the post as well tiro.
    oo aahh ur sooo right, u managed to pull out a more recent example

wow

my hero

u found a few examples of nv being naughty

hey, heres an idea! - since u got soooo much spare time, dig up some on ATi as well!
    Hell, dont stop there! there is Matrox! & S3! come on! chop, chop, quit looking - start searching now! dont delay, its a once in a life time opportunity!

heatware / ebay

Xtreme Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by DarthBeavis View Post
    Somebody call the waaaaaaahhhhhhhhmmmmbulance!
    ....................................and thread derailment starts

NOW!
    Team.AU
    Got tube?
    GIGABYTE Australia
    Need a GIGABYTE bios or support?

I am Xtreme
    Quote Originally Posted by dinos22 View Post
    ....................................and thread derailment starts

NOW!

heatware / ebay

I am Xtreme
    going by 'logic' (or lack thereof) Jakko, we all should not buy Intel CPUs

FAIL

heatware / ebay

Well, shyt! I was just about ready to go buy a new Nvidia graphics card ...

So I guess I better not cave ...huh? .... PSYCH!! !
    Intel i7 7700K @ 5.1 GHz w/Corsair H115i * ASUS Maximus Hero IX* BIOS 0701 * 32GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3200MHz * 2 x 256GB Samsung 950 Pro NVMe (RAID 0) * 1TB Samsung 850 Pro (Steam Drive) * 4TB WD Green (Storage) * Corsair HX1000i * Corsair 750D Obsidian Airflow Edition

I am Xtreme
    this bs thread should really be in the SF section.. there is no hardware problem to discuss.. merely someones whinging RE: big bad ol' nv

heatware / ebay

Banned
    I really dont mind the whaaaambulance replies.
    I allready expected a topic that criticises nvidia to receive childish replies from some individuals that like nvidia a lot.

I guess this thread shows why nvidia can keep on pulling .
    Most don't care about it much.

Untill they have to pay 800 dollar for a new gpu that is...

tiro you seem to be posting a lot in my BS thread.
    is it upsetting you?
    Last edited by Jakko; 04-22-2008 at 07:35 AM.

I am Xtreme
    I allready expected a topic that criticises nvidia to receive childish replies from some individuals that like nvidia a lot.

Untill they have to pay 500 dollar for a new gpu that is...
    so there is a couple of questions some of us would like to know

a) what did u type into google to find that 5yr old thread &
    b) what page-depth did u keep searching till to find said thread

I mean, come on! my friend sometimes goes as deep as 20+ pages.. when he's looking for pr0n!

u got dedication, i'll give u that

heatware / ebay

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by tet5uo View Post
    Exactly... threads like this are useless as the tinfoil hats...

Quote Originally Posted by BenchZowner View Post
    Sorry to ruin your rant, but:

1) The same thing has happened in the past for the other side as well.
    Can you really prove that it's nVIDIA or ATi who ASKED or DEMANDED as you wish the developers to cripple the counter-parts performance ?

2) When ATi was in shape and had decent GPUs, they were beating nVIDIA in "TWIMTBP" games ( TWIMTBP = The Way It's Meant To Be Played" games, developments sponsored by nVIDIA )... so what was wrong back then ?
    Nothing... ATi just had decent hardware, which was better than nVIDIA's in both performance and image quality.

3) Thinking about boycotting nVIDIA is a dream never come true, especially in this place, and of course, same goes for globally.
    and...../thread on that note.

Go away ub3r s0ft fanboys. Tighten up.

Untill they have to pay 800 dollar for a new gpu that is...

tiro you seem to be posting a lot in my BS thread.
    is it upsetting you?
    L....O...mothering...L at this post.

Live in glass houses much? Throw stones much? This entire thread is part of the WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAMMBUALNCE of which you speak.

For the record, I could care less what brand card I own. As long as its the best for my money, in which I do the research, who cares.
    Last edited by jas420221; 04-22-2008 at 07:40 AM.

Banned
    Exactly jas, you want the best bang for the buck.
    You don't care about the bigger picture, you don't care about innovation, you just want the best bang for your buck!

Like most.

I really do understand where you are coming from, I just don't get why you have to be so hysterical about it.

Page 1 of 6 1234 ... LastLast