Thread: Capacitors on the bottom of geforce2 mx400

XS - Extra Strong

Exclamation Capacitors on the bottom of geforce2 mx400

Hi,

I really hate to make this my first post, because its kind of embarrassing.

I own a geforce2 mx400, obiviously, when i bought it I was unaware of its emense level of suck. Then I discovered overclocking. I started off with the card all stock, and made it to about 220 core (max) and 204 on the ram (it was a "bit" unstable) My next step was to cut some ramsinks out, and slap those on there, and also on the voltage regulator (which was getting hotter then the core ) Doing that allowed me to get it to 255core and 222ram which isn't bad considering that it came stock at 175core and 166 ram. But I desired more, so I put the fan from my old p3 heatsink on the stock heatsink. It helped, but not enough. Then I decided to switch out the stock heatsink with the one off my p3. Sure enough though, my luck had ended.

While clamping the heatsink onto the board to make sure there was good contact when the epoxy was "curing" I tightened it too much and the clamp crushed 2 of the capacitors on the bottom of the board

Even after emailing IOMAGIC (the makers of the board) and next Nvidia, I had only gotten the run around. So now I'm posting here, asking if any of you kind souls can measure your capacitors on the bottom of your geforce2 mx400. The capacitors in question are C174 and C171. Once I can find out the capacitance, I'll hopefully be able to find a replacement and solder it back onto the board.

thanks!

ps. this board is pretty good, when I lowered the ambient case temps to 13 degrees, I was able to get it stable at 270core,245 ram, which is why I want to save it.

Xtreme Member
    I understand, it clocks well. trashed my GF2Pro this week, doing 200/400 @ 265/300 with a big heatsink. 3d page on orb in the GF2range. I can RMA it, but get a GF4MX as replacement (if they RMA it)

I don't have such a card, but I'll try get those resistors tested