Thread: Asus Maximus Formula Socket Pins Broken

Xtreme Enthusiast

Asus Maximus Formula Socket Pins Broken

Hi everyone... i just take of the box mine new brand asus maximus formula and when i put in my e8400 i have to make a little more press to to the hook of socket.... when i start my system it doesn't start :s only all light of motherboard till turn on....

I know that all other hardware is right... so i retire my cpu and i notice that same pin of socket are broken or twisted :s ... the problem is that i bought this mobo 2 month ago and like i didn't have any cpu to test it, i take it from the box and see if all bundle was complete, i don't retire the socket protector :s so i don't know if pin was broken from factory or what....

I think that i couldn't broke the pin putting cpu in good position :s so.. what i must to do :s any one could help me, and share a good picture.. of pins or something that i can use to see how to repair..... i don't know if store which sell it will be recognize it.. :s

Please if anyone could help me.. please .... thanks for all
    Last edited by BNDMOD; 02-23-2008 at 06:18 AM.
    iMac 24''
    BNDMOD @
    Cruz Alta (Cba.) Argentina

Wow, that's an expensive board, and I am sorry that it is damaged.

Since it does seem that you were given a defective board, can you just try to return/exchange it? It might help if you spoke to a manager.

Wikipedia has a picture of S775:
    http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...Sockel_775.jpg

I think that it is going to be difficult to straighten bent pins, I would suggest you try the return/exchange.

Xtreme Addict
    Asus' customer service is pretty decent, at least in America. if worse comes to worst, you could probably get an RMA from them over the phone without any proof of purchase. when a motherboard design is less than three years old, it must be under warranty still and they should give you an RMA with no questions asked.
    My Videos
    GRID Demolition Derby * GRID Camaro vs. Mustang * Audiosurf - Speed Racer
    I Shot the Hosties * Slightly Stupid * Dump Truck

Intel Haswell 4770K * 2x8GB Mushkin Redline DDR3 1866 CL9 * Asus Maximus VI Gene * Sapphire 7870 GHz Edition
    500GB Samsung 840 Series SSD + 2TB WD Raid Edition 3 magnetic * SilverStone Temjin case * Corsair TX750 PSU * Corsair H60 water cooler * Win7 Pro x64

Xtreme Enthusiast
    I must wait to 3th of march to talk with people who sell it... i think that they're going to recognize it and change for another one or give me another model .....

I'm looking for a draw of pin... not socket... :d
    jejeje i'll try to take a foto... with macro or using a loop(LUPA)
    iMac 24''
    BNDMOD @

Xtreme Member
    no i dont think theyll replace the board since theres damage to the socket pins . on there website it says any damage to pins =no replacement.
    if u tell them it came like that im 100% sure theyll say no proof no replacement.theyll say u damaged the pins.
    i had a similiar problem with the same board actually .but the retailer i bought the board from actually damaged the pins whilst testing it. but asus said i still have to pay to have it repaired. it cost around $80 au to repair the pins but atleast they do it properly. thats about$100 usd i think not sure. id ring the retailer and send it in for repair via them.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Dam.. :s here in argentina... a person say that it's posible to repair and more or less it's cost 15 dls.... i use a big zoom glass and i see that it has 2 pins broken :s they aren't there :s just not there :s
    iMac 24''
    BNDMOD @

Xtreme Member
    BND|MOD, you need to speak with someone on the 3dgames forums....i think there was someone that fixes mobos and stuff like that.
    Habla con alguien en el foro de 3dg, tengo entendido que alguien arreglaba mothers y demas. Suerte.

Good luck.
    Victor.
    Gigabyte EX58-UD5 // Intel Core i7 920
    SuperTalent PC3-12800 3x2gb
    ATI 4870X2 2gb
    Samsung 1TBx6
    Coolermaster Silent Pro Gold 1000w
    Coolermaster Cosmos
    Dell u3014

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by BND|MOD View Post
    Dam.. :s here in argentina... a person say that it's posible to repair and more or less it's cost 15 dls.... i use a big zoom glass and i see that it has 2 pins broken :s they aren't there :s just not there :s
    Then if there are no pins, you can rma it and get new motherboard, just say them that you just did open mobo package and didnt even get to install cpu when you saw that there is broken pins.

::: Desktop's - Intel *** Intel 2
    2 x Xeon E5-2687W *** Intel i7 3930k
    EVGA SR-X *** Asus Rampage IV Extreme
    96Gb (12x8Gb) G.Skill Trident X DDR3-2400MHz 10-12-12-2N *** 32Gb (8x4Gb) G.Skill Trident X DDR3-2666 10-12-12-2N
    3 x Zotac GTX 680 4Gb + EK-FC680 GTX Acetal *** 3 x EVGA GeForce GTX780 + EK Titan XXL Edition waterblocks.
    OCZ RevoDrive 3 x4 960Gb *** 4 x Samsung 840 Pro 512Gb
    Avermedia LiveGamer HD capture card
    Caselabs TX10-D
    14 x 4 TB WD RE4 in RAID10+2Spare
    4 x Corsair AX1200

::: Basement DataCenter :::
    [*] Fibreoptic connection from operators core network
    [*] Dell PowerConnect 2848 Ethernet Switch [*] Network Security Devices by Cisco
    [*] Dell EqualLogic PS6500E 96Tb iSCSI SAN (40 2Tb Drives + 8 Spare Drives, Raid10+Spare Configuration, 40Tb fail safe storage)
    [*] Additional SAN machines with FusionIO ioDrive Octal's (4 total Octals).
    [*] 10 x Dual Xeon X5680, 12Gb DDR3, 2x100Gb Vertex 2 Pro Raid1 [*] 4 x Quad Xeon E7-4870, 96Gb DDR3, 2x100Gb Vertex 2 Pro Raid1

[*] Monster UPS unit incase power grid failure backed up by diesel powered generator.

Xtreme Mentor
    Quote Originally Posted by rintamarotta View Post
    Then if there are no pins, you can rma it and get new motherboard, just say them that you just did open mobo package and didnt even get to install cpu when you saw that there is broken pins.
    The motherboards are packaged by a machine, who would believe that excuse? I don't think that would fly at all.
    PC Lab Qmicra V2 Case SFFi7 950 4.4GHz 200 x 22 1.36 volts
    Cooled by Swiftech GTZ - CPX-Pro - MCR420+MCR320+MCR220 | Completely Silent loads at 62c
    GTX 470 EVGA SuperClocked Plain stock
    12 Gigs OCZ Reaper DDR3 1600MHz) 8-8-8-24
    ASUS Rampage Gene II |Four OCZ Vertex 2 in RAID-0(60Gig x 4) | WD 2000Gig Storage

Theater ::: Panasonic G20 50" Plasma | Onkyo SC5508 Processor | Emotiva XPA-5 and XPA-2 | CSi A6 Center| 2 x Polk RTi A9 Front Towers| 2 x Klipsch RW-12d
    Lian-LI HTPC | Panasonic Blu Ray 655k| APC AV J10BLK Conditioner |

Xtreme Member
    So you broke a new mother and never used?.......mi god.... You now BND MOD in the LGA socket theres only 1 way to put the CPU.....what happen? Try to send the mother to RMA, and just say: "you sold me a broken mother, give me another one"....

Che pero q onda? o sea tenes 1 sola manera de poner el micro man, q paso? no es dificil, tas al horno, encima nunca usaste el mother ? =S
    Intel C2D E8400 @ 4Ghz // Asus Maximus Formula x38 @ FSB 500Mhz// G.Skill Pi 2x2GB 1000Mhz // 9800GTX+ SSC eVGA // WD Raptor X 150GB + Samsung Spinpoint 2TB // DVD-RW DL Asus // Powercooler 850W // CM Cosmos S // Samsung T260N / Edifier R251 // Logitech G9 // Logitech G15 Rev2

Cooling System: Swiftech Apex Ultra H2O Kit + MCW60

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Yes... my friends.... i know that there is one way to put in the cpu... only one.. but.... when i put... by the only way... i had to make more presion to close the socket hook :s so i think there was when pins broken... i don't know why.... the mother is in buenos aires right now.... i only just wait to an answer and them i'll do the best to change it with RMA :d

Thanks for all..

By the way :p ? why do you speak in spanish :p jejeje.. just english jijiji for other way i talk to someone in "galeria Jardin" that repair broken pins and twisty too :d
    iMac 24''
    BNDMOD @

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BND|MOD View Post
    Yes... my friends.... i know that there is one way to put in the cpu... only one.. but.... when i put... by the only way... i had to make more presion to close the socket hook :s so i think there was when pins broken... i don't know why.... the mother is in buenos aires right now.... i only just wait to an answer and them i'll do the best to change it with RMA :d

Thanks for all..

By the way :p ? why do you speak in spanish :p jejeje.. just english jijiji for other way i talk to someone in "galeria Jardin" that repair broken pins and twisty too :d
    hahaha there practising there spanish ?lol and they speak better spanish than i do whish is sad since im from chile origanally. but not many people speak spanish here in australia so ive forgotton a fair bit.
    i hope u have luck with asus with this one. i hear there better in the usa than in china. i had to rma to china since its near aust. they saw the bent pins and said "NO WAY ,HOSAY" ! ! they said i can pay to have it repaired but it will take 6 months!! i just bought a dfi lanparty x38 instead . stuff that.
    good luck though.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Ohhh that so bad :s i don-t want to miss :s 350 dls that i payed it.. :s jejeje.. just to have 2 pins broken... :s yeah... jejeje... i only wait that RMA recognize it...

Jejeje muy poco español se lee en este foro :d jejeje.. y es normal que te vayas olvidando del español rodeado de australianos.. In English... jejeje here we can read litle spanish.... and it-s normal that you-re going to forgetting the Spanish languages.. there rounded of Australian...
    iMac 24''
    BNDMOD @

Xtreme Addict
    Just order another one, swap boards, return the broken one, just get your money back. Its kind of sneaky but if you did in fact receive a defect then I dont see a problem with getting what you paid for.
    Boy that info was old. As am I. Currently my kids have taken over my desktops. They are both sporting matching GTX1080's. Last Christmas I got everyone Oculuses and thus GTX1080's. My eldest is some sort of CSGO champion gold label something or other. Me I work and shoot real guns. Build Comps as needed.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Well .. i-m trying with RMA...

right now... i-m trying to turn=on other system but i don-t know what happend..... could maximus with broken pin damege my e8400+
    iMac 24''
    BNDMOD @

Bad luck but very reckless from you.
    E4300 @ 3 GHz TT Big Water 735 - Gigabyte P35 DS3L - 2x1 GB ST DDR2 @ 800 - HIS HD3850 256 MB w/TT Waterblock - SB Live! 24 Bit - WD1600JD/Samsung HD160JJ - Topower 530W EZ Plug & Cooler Master Mystique 632s - HP w2207

I can't just belieave what i'm reading for, you say that you press too hard the micro into the socket and broke one of the pins?, oh my god, you are an animal. like Sharko's Says, it is only one way to put it into the socket, and if it doesn't fit, there is a problem or you are trying bad.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    asus RMA SUCKS! they can't do anything with the same problem on my old striker extreme and you know that!.

dead the striker ave foxconn!
    hersounds powered by 121 % overclocking Machine http://valid.x86-secret.com/show_oc.php?id=220390 - http://valid.canardpc.com/show_oc.php?id=1917405

facebook.com/hersounds

Intel Core i5 4670K @ 4,5 Ghz 24/7 - Galaxy HOF GTX 780 - 8 GB Team Group Xtreem 2666 Cas 11 - 8Gb Avexir Core series 2800 Blue Led - Maximus VI Formula Armor TUF - Corsair Force GT 120 GB SATA 3 - Galaxy Hall of fame 1200 hersounds Limited edition Modular - Antec 620 dual fan mod

Xtreme Member
    What a terrible mistake!

Poor Formula!

El micro anda?

Xtreme Enthusiast
    jajaja..... you don-t know.... jajaja..... i don-t make to much press.. only a bit more than ever....

not enauge to brake a pin.... cpu has only one way to put in... and i know it... i-m not an animal... i-m a person which know the only way to put a cpu... LGA775 just know it....

I-m crossing my finger... with RMA :d
    iMac 24''
    BNDMOD @

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by okorn View Post
    What a terrible mistake!

Poor Formula!

El micro anda?
    hey understand this... the cpu.. has been putting by the only way.. it was put into the maximus fine.. not in a wrong way... understand that... i don-t know because.... the p5k that i have to test the cpu.. doesn-t work too :s i don-t know why.... jejeje just turn on.. and stak with all 2900xt-s light turn on :s
    iMac 24''
    BNDMOD @