Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Heat probs reported for Intel E8400s

Xtreme Addict
    I don't really give a $hit about the temp sensors, it's the degradation reports from guys using only 1.4v and less that worries me.

D.F.I Pimp Daddy
    I think Intel is lying to you boys Did I just say that
    SuperMicro X8SAX
    Xeon 5620
    12GB - Crucial ECC DDR3 1333
    Intel 520 180GB Cherryville
    Areca 1231ML ~ 2~ 250GB Seagate ES.2 ~ Raid 0 ~ 4~ Hitachi 5K3000 2TB ~ Raid 6 ~

Xtreme Cruncher
    Quote Originally Posted by mrcape View Post
    I don't really give a $hit about the temp sensors, it's the degradation reports from guys using only 1.4v and less that worries me.
    I was wondering about that one too.Can you post some links for the reports ,please?

Xtreme Addict
    Well informal, they aren't officially reports, but symptoms reported. I can poke around and find some links if you'd like. There were posts on this site about it. Of course, it was brushed off as a PSU or CPU issue lol. There was also a poll going on at some greek forum that had interesting results showing degradation over a week or so of time with low~medium volts.

The idea of what high volts are goes out the window as it should with this new architecture. I think it totally skews the current methodology of how to get a good, safe over clock. That's why I don't see why people think the current board and bios offerings make any sense. Sure 45nm can run on them, but it's starting to seem like putting a porche engine in a mustang body.

This is sorta bringing up a chicken before the egg argument. So what side is everyone taking? Are these new chips designed for todays boards and chipsets? Are todays boards and chipsets designed for yesterday's chips? Does fancy cooling matter as much anymore?
    Last edited by mrcape; 02-01-2008 at 01:31 PM.

Xtreme Cruncher
    Thanks for the informations mrcape.
    It sure sounds like electromigration effect,but i must say i'm a bit sceptical about it happening in "weeks time-frame".I would've expected it to show up after several months of heavy overvolting(>1.5V),not in weeks time.
    Could it be that since the increased stress on the VRM(after excessive OCing),some of the components of the mobos started to fail?It would have looked like you described it.But if the chips(in question) experienced the same behaviour in a brand new motherboards,then it would mean sure degradation.Also like you said,it could be PSU failing,too.
    If you get a hold of some links,post 'em up please.Thanks .
    Last edited by informal; 02-01-2008 at 01:35 PM.

Xtreme Mentor
    Quote Originally Posted by Brother Esau View Post
    I think Intel is lying to you boys Did I just say that
    And somewhere in this forum you talked about AMD thread crapping... well done brother
    Friends shouldn't let friends use Windows 7 until Microsoft fixes Windows Explorer (link)

Quote Originally Posted by PerryR, on John Fruehe (JF-AMD) View Post
    Pretty much. Plus, he's here voluntarily.

Xtreme X.I.P.
    I agree with Vapor we are getting too hung up on temps and VID's and pack dates and week this that and the other. Just bench it and see how you go. You'll either be lucky or unlucky with the cpu you have.

As for degredation I'd like to see a mass of people on XS get it first rather than rumours from a Greek forum etc. It is true though that this is a new process using new metals and we are sticking 50% more volts through a cpu which has smaller surface area, so if you need a long lived chip then just give it 1.3v and hit 4Ghz or abouts. That's still not shabby.

But if you are XS then stop whinging about things and just do it. I'm doing 4.5GHz plus at 1.55v.

On a stock Intel heatsink.

Which aint bad at all......

Regards

Andy

Xtreme Addict
    And snap into a slim jim!

Xtreme Addict
    Accurate temps reading is meaningful data.

VTT / FSB voltage will cause the cpu to overheat if it is up too high.
    Intel 9990XE @ 5.1Ghz
    ASUS Rampage VI Extreme Omega
    GTX 2080 ti Galax Hall of Fame
    64GB Galax Hall of Fame
    Intel Optane
    Platimax 1245W

Intel 3175X
    Asus Dominus Extreme
    GRX 1080ti Galax Hall of Fame
    96GB Patriot Steel
    Intel Optane 900P RAID

I am Xtreme
    Quote Originally Posted by FUGGER View Post
    VTT / FSB voltage will cause the cpu to overheat if it is up too high.
    no disrespect, but i dont think much users that oc actually touch more than vmem and vcore (maybe vmch and vpcie).

Anyways it could be very well true, that high VTT/FSB voltage increases the temprature.

Xtreme Cruncher
    Not to beat a dead horse here but this is something I said well over a year ago. Temp does not matter. What matters is stability. If your stabil then your overclock is good...

Ply

Xtreme Enthusiast
    2 x E8400@1.425v, 4 GHz 24/7, TT BT VX = 0 problems.

If they die, I'll report here.

xtreme energy
    Running @ 1.45V for 2 weeks so far fine. Temps ~40C till TJmax Heatpipes are cold

Quote Originally Posted by Hornet331 View Post
    no disrespect, but i dont think much users that oc actually touch more than vmem and vcore (maybe vmch and vpcie).

Anyways it could be very well true, that high VTT/FSB voltage increases the temprature.

AUTO sometimes might be even worse because MB itself sets too high value if you overclock
    Last edited by kiwi; 02-01-2008 at 05:06 PM.

Xtreme Mentor
    Reading over the forums (briefly) sounds like what we see with Everest with Phenom before the recent build or with CoreTemp with Brisbane... there is no official support from AMD or Intel on providing information on the DTS other than what the author of CoreTemp has extracted for C2D's...

It could be that the calibration algorithm has simply changed or that the wrong MSRs are being read, and the legacy MSRs are just getting the wrong digital value.... this is probably nothing at all, other than the Inquirers seemling clocklike attempt to smudge/blackmark any Intel new release by digging around in the forums.

Then again, there could be a problem with the DTS and temperatures are better taken from the socket than at the core.
    One hundred years from now It won't matter
    What kind of car I drove What kind of house I lived in
    How much money I had in the bank Nor what my cloths looked like.... But The world may be a little better Because, I was important In the life of a child.
    -- from "Within My Power" by Forest Witcraft

Xtreme Mentor
    Quote Originally Posted by informal View Post
    Thanks for the informations mrcape.
    It sure sounds like electromigration effect,but i must say i'm a bit sceptical about it happening in "weeks time-frame".I would've expected it to show up after several months of heavy overvolting(>1.5V),not in weeks time.
    Could it be that since the increased stress on the VRM(after excessive OCing),some of the components of the mobos started to fail?It would have looked like you described it.But if the chips(in question) experienced the same behaviour in a brand new motherboards,then it would mean sure degradation.Also like you said,it could be PSU failing,too.
    If you get a hold of some links,post 'em up please.Thanks .
    It is not electromigration that should be a concern with respect to the newness of this product, but TDDB.

(If I read the context of your refrence to EM correctly).

If there are people concerned about a safe overclock, my advice would be never exceed the Vmax spec'ed by Intel... as this is the spec that Intel states the CPU can handle.
    Last edited by JumpingJack; 02-01-2008 at 05:33 PM.
    One hundred years from now It won't matter
    What kind of car I drove What kind of house I lived in
    How much money I had in the bank Nor what my cloths looked like.... But The world may be a little better Because, I was important In the life of a child.
    -- from "Within My Power" by Forest Witcraft

I am Xtreme
    Quote Originally Posted by kiwi View Post

AUTO sometimes might be even worse because MB itself sets too high value if you overclock
    yeah i agree, but most go manual anyway so VTT/FSB stays the same.

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by Hornet331 View Post
    yeah i agree, but most go manual anyway so VTT/FSB stays the same.
    Yeah how could you go auto with vtt/gtl if it's (auto) designed for 65nm which needs more? For me, setting it lower made all the difference in getting a stable setting at or over 4ghz.

This is a great paper. I'd like to see a continuation with present day examples (boards/chipsets/chips).
    Last edited by mrcape; 02-01-2008 at 05:48 PM.

Xtreme Addict
    How to figure out if you have a bad sensor:
    1. Attach ln2 tube
    2. Top off tube with LN2
    3. Check sensor

If it says it cold bugging and registers as 48C, bad sensor

My Custom Pressure/Temperature Charts for Various Refrigerants

QX6700 @ 3900 | EVGA 680i |2 GB Corsair 8500 Dominator | 7800 GT SLi | Silverstone 1KW | Seagate 7200.9 Barracuda RAID 0 + Hitachi Deskstar 2TB RAID 0 | SS Phase w/ Cryostar Evap | MIPS Full Motherboard cooling
    My Fake Quad Core is better than your real Quad Core! **cough**Barcelona**cough**

Lian Li Cube Case with Phase and Water DONE!!

Xtreme Enthusiast
    On my board in windows core temp reports 42c minimum temp no matter what, load are 51 core 0 and 61 core 1, that's at 4ghz. On the other hand gigabyte's cpu utlity reports 30 idle and 51 load. Cpu doesn't experience any problems beside one, C1E when enabled crashes system.

Xtreme Addict
    is the temp sensor prob only with E8400s? how about E8200 & E8500?

I am Xtreme
    I'm concerned about temp readings on these cpu as mine HAS degraded over the space of a week, with 4ghz first requiring 1.3375, and now requires 1.3825, 4250mhz used to require 1.425, now requires 1.4625.

Loss of clocks happened over the space of a day..one day i primed 4ghz for 12.5 hrs, and when done, went up to 4.25ghz, again primed for 12 hrs.

Left the systems on idle, came back, it wasn't stable. Prime would not run for more than 1 minute.

I spent some time verifying the board was ok, that ram was not the cause, all parts proven stable using other components.

So, during this, cpu was under fuson block in Maximus Formula SE. I never mounted cpu with aircooler. But temps never budged from 35c CPU and 40c DTS0 and DTS1.

So, on air, temps went over 70c DTS at stock, which seems a bit high for 45nm, but oh well.

I'll be checking throttling next time I get a chance...I don't think it's an issue tho...

And I'm sorry, but "stable" isn't good enough for me. Stable can include TM1/2 throttle, with no notice given to user, without knowing what to look for. Without accurate temp readings, it's impossible to verify that throttle is an issue without specific software, and hence my need for such temp readings...it's nice to know how far away you are...
    Last edited by cadaveca; 02-02-2008 at 01:50 AM.

Xtreme X.I.P.
    no hw mfg actually advertizes or guarantees a thermal diode to work properly.
    you could have a cpu or gpu or other chip with defective temp reading and it would not get rma'ed

Quote Originally Posted by saaya View Post
    no hw mfg actually advertizes or guarantees a thermal diode to work properly.
    you could have a cpu or gpu or other chip with defective temp reading and it would not get rma'ed
    I agree with you. So how do we go about getting accurate on die temp readings? maybe they could leave a hole in the IHS so we could use our own thermal probes.
    "Foldin, Foldin, Foldin...keep those benchers foldin..." (Lyrics by Angra, Music is Rawhide)

BOYCOTT MIR's

Quote Originally Posted by Monkeywoman View Post
    aww an OC virgin! lose it tonight with Xtremesystems!!!

Xtreme Member
    The thermal diode could only be calibrated for stock voltage anyway.
    = P5WDH - E6600 - Tuniq Tower - 2GB STT PC6400 - 8800GT - Real Power Pro 850 =

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast