Thread: Overclocking ECC RAM?

Xtreme Member

Question Overclocking ECC RAM?

Hi all,

Im considering Crucial DDR2 PC2-5300 DDR-667 ECC RAM for an Intel XBX2 mobo. I would like to run the mem 1-1 at 750 i.e. a FSB of 375 MHZ. Its a pretty mild mem OC .... should I expect any hassles?

http://www.crucial.com/uk/store/mpar...2ACAB6A5CA7304

I have run a few sets of micron brand ECC, granted they still had the d9 chips they ran like champs as well under 2.45v @ 450mhz

Quote Originally Posted by WillyWonka
    Hi all,

Im considering Crucial DDR2 PC2-5300 DDR-667 ECC RAM for an Intel XBX2 mobo. I would like to run the mem 1-1 at 750 i.e. a FSB of 375 MHZ. Its a pretty mild mem OC .... should I expect any hassles?

I wonder whether D9 chips are on this Crucial 1GBx2 DDR2-667 kit. I'll be happy if it can be overclocked like what DamTheMan gets from his DDR2-533 kit... over 400 MHz with pretty tight timings.

It's on The ultimate overclocking DDR2 memory list! Anybody tried it?

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by DamTheMan
    I have run a few sets of micron brand ECC, granted they still had the d9 chips they ran like champs as well under 2.45v @ 450mhz
    Holy crap. Thats encouraging

Xtreme Mentor
    Why would you overclock ECC ram? Isn't the point of using ECC and paying the extra $$ because you have fault critical data?

Xtreme Addict
    this is where xtreme stuff happens
    Amd Nvidia/Ati -3dmark06 scorebord revisted

asus L1N64-ws or /b depending on bios chip
    4x1gig 8500 gkill bpk
    2x opteron 8224 @ 3.8ghz
    http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/...&postcount=236
    vga= 8800gt
    winxp pro

custom chiller -31 water
    2x dtek fuzions
    bix3-with x3panaflo hi output
    antec 850 quattro

heat under msimax abitmax and dfimax

Xtreme Mentor
    Quote Originally Posted by msimax
    this is where xtreme stuff happens
    How is that? You don't buy ECC ram to overclock it. It's all about data integrity.

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Speederlander
    Why would you overclock ECC ram? Isn't the point of using ECC and paying the extra $$ because you have fault critical data?
    +10% is hardly an overclock

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by WillyWonka
    Hi all,

I used to overclock a micron DDR266 ECC stick to DDR500 @ 3-4-4-8, not impressive but still amazed me that it could overclock that much. ECC RAMs are cheaper than regular ones on eBay, probably because not many people want them.

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by Speederlander
    How is that? You don't buy ECC ram to overclock it. It's all about data integrity.

what i learned being on this forum is that if you can change the voltage, clocks or cool it down to -400c then it will be done here.
    so if this guy chose to overclock ecc so be it. and based on DamTheMan results i just might try it and put my results
    in the xtreme bandwidth section so we can inspire other people to do crazy stuff
    Amd Nvidia/Ati -3dmark06 scorebord revisted

asus L1N64-ws or /b depending on bios chip
    4x1gig 8500 gkill bpk
    2x opteron 8224 @ 3.8ghz
    http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/...&postcount=236
    vga= 8800gt
    winxp pro

custom chiller -31 water
    2x dtek fuzions
    bix3-with x3panaflo hi output
    antec 850 quattro

heat under msimax abitmax and dfimax

Xtreme Member
    O/cing ECC why not just buy better stuff @ same price =/

Quote Originally Posted by momomo6789
    O/cing ECC why not just buy better stuff @ same price =/
    Yes, I think so too, also there is better compatibility-

@all
    What about ECC registered on Desktop? I could get some DDR333 ECC reg. from our office for my S478 P4!?

Regards
    Last edited by Albatroner; 02-25-2007 at 08:56 AM.

Phenom™
    Nice results, but the question isn't whether your ram is ECC capable or not, but rather is ECC enabled or not?

Phenom™
    Quote Originally Posted by Albatroner
    Yes, I think so too, also there is better compatibility-

@all
    What about ECC registered on Desktop? I could get some DDR333 ECC reg. from our office for my S478 P4!?

Regards
    Reg ECC is a different beast altogether. Most motherboards have to specifically support Registered memory in order to run it. Today's desktop mobos almost all ship with the ability to run ECC memory, but without support for Registered. If you're wondering about overclockability for Reg memory, you can forget about it since it buffers data to ensure integrity....

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by s7e9h3n
    Nice results, but the question isn't whether your ram is ECC capable or not, but rather is ECC enabled or not?
    Yes its rather important to know if he had ECC enabled. If I did not make it clear, my original question was whether is was possible to OC ECC RAM with ECC turned on

Well, I didn't disable the ecc feature in my bios, and my cpuz screenshot says "correction ecc" I have another 2x1gb micron d9 ecc set with some 667 chips on them that my girlfriend is using at 900mhz 2.45v 4-4-4-10.

The only reason I was using these, and a few other ecc kits is beacause I have good connections in the server world, I also have a few kits of non-ecc stuff. I like to play around with the different types of micron just to see what it can do.

right now i'm using my crucial 10th anniv @ 1200mhz 2.45v 5-5-5-15

Oh, and in reguards to the ecc registered memory, that probably will not work, I'm pretty sure registered ram is for servers only. I have however gotten my hands on some 512mb module FBdimms from micron with the fatbody d9 chips on them. I don't have an overclockable motherboard that uses FBdimms yet but they work very nicely in my precision 490.
    Last edited by DamTheMan; 02-25-2007 at 03:35 PM.

Well, I didn't disable the ecc feature in my bios, and my cpuz screenshot says "correction ecc" I have another 2x1gb micron d9 ecc set with some 667 chips on them that my girlfriend is using at 900mhz 2.45v 4-4-4-10.
    By the way, are the 667 chips D9DCL?

Actually, yes they are D9DCL

Xtreme Mentor
    It's certainly possible, with ECC unreg of course. ECC Reg requires other memory controllers.

The thing I noticed is that while overclocked ECC with ECC turned on works flawlessly for me, it seemed to react badly to FSB changes from time to time. I generally run with BIOS-set FSB with ECC RAM. But since superfast memory is mostly useless for real-world performance I don't overclock it much either.

Keep in mind normal ECC RAM only does ECC on the data bits, not the control lines. It is highly questionable whether you would make overclocking safer or not by enabling ECC as the main problem is "overrunning" the RAM on the control lines.

Actually, yes they are D9DCL
    To DamTheMan: they look precious!

To WillyWonka: Here is one solution for you. According to this simple review, the following Crucial 1GBx2 DDR2-667 kit is built with D9DCL, the same chip running at 900 MHz 2.45v 4-4-4-10 by DamTheMan's girlfriend. Before acquiring it, you may like to make sure your supplier is selling the kit with D9DCL chips.
    It shouldn't give you much trouble... let us know your results?

Xtreme Member
    Will do. I will start buying the machines in 1-2 weeks.

Xtreme Member
    i had these free from tearing apart a replaced server and to my surprise they were micron.. all i need is two more of these and im set =)

2.1v (today)

2.2v (few days ago)

i'll give em a tougher test soon enough..
    Last edited by Slay0r; 03-07-2007 at 11:04 AM.