Page 3 of 22 FirstFirst 12345613 ... LastLast

Thread: Lapped core 2 duo IHS pics

Xtreme Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by virtualrain
    I echo that question... The purpose of thermal paste is to fill the tiny gaps in an imperfect surface... With a finish like that, does paste help or hinder?
    id also like to know.

Xtreme Member
    I echo that question... The purpose of thermal paste is to fill the tiny gaps in an imperfect surface... With a finish like that, does paste help or hinder?
    The funny thing is, unless the thermal paste is almost liquid, with a mirror-finish like those, the odds are you're actually ADDING imperfections...

Would anywone be so kind as to shed some light on this subject? Maybe with some tests to back either conclusion?

And thanks for the reply about the warranty issue. I'm not going to try that with a 1 month old €200 E6400, I'll have to get a €50 Celly to do that My money doesn't grow on trees (unfortunately) hehe

Cheers.

Miguel

Xtreme Legend
    MIRROR MIRROR ON THE WALL WHAT IS THE BEST FINISH OF THEM ALL

Cathar says 600grit
    Team.AU
    Got tube?
    GIGABYTE Australia
    Need a GIGABYTE bios or support?

Xtreme Member
    Think I'm going to try lapping my P4 3.2NW to get a feel for this before doing anything of value

Quote Originally Posted by rick_fx
    Same here. Got a 10C decrease in idle temp and 5-6C got load temps on my e6700.
    Without lapping, my E6600 is running about 5 deg higher than the room temp (idle). Now I wonder if I can get it to run 5 deg lower than room temp if I lapped it... anyone tried this? Please post your results ... lol
    First successful overclock: Intel 8088,10MHz@12.5MHz
    Multiplier? What Multipler? Desolder and replace the crystal!
    Benchmark? Or did you mean "Landmark"? The year was 1985!!!

Accidentally, this small man has become a part of the legend... (Added Dec 16, 2006)
    Toms Hardware Guide (Dec 11, 2006 - http://www.tomshardware.com/2006/12/...-guide-part-1/): ""Overclocking" may in fact pre-date PCs, going back to the days of simpler devices, but legends of 8 MHz 8088 processors overclocked to 12 MHz via a simple change in clock crystal started a phenomenon."

Thermal Paste (a.k.a. Heatsink compound) is basically silicon grease loaded with some heat conductive substances - it is a reasonable conductor of heat but even the premium stuff (think nowherenear-Arctic-$$$ilver) is nothing when compare to the thermal conductivity of metals such as Cu or Al.

A small amount of Thermal Paste fills the void and get rid of the air in between the IHS and the HSF, creating a lower themal resistance than air (which is a bad conductor of heat). Too much of it is like putting resistors in series (because afteralll that stuff is not an ideal heat conductor). It creates a thermal resistance in between the IHS and HSF, so I guess you know what that means, right?
    First successful overclock: Intel 8088,10MHz@12.5MHz
    Multiplier? What Multipler? Desolder and replace the crystal!
    Benchmark? Or did you mean "Landmark"? The year was 1985!!!

Accidentally, this small man has become a part of the legend... (Added Dec 16, 2006)
    Toms Hardware Guide (Dec 11, 2006 - http://www.tomshardware.com/2006/12/...-guide-part-1/): ""Overclocking" may in fact pre-date PCs, going back to the days of simpler devices, but legends of 8 MHz 8088 processors overclocked to 12 MHz via a simple change in clock crystal started a phenomenon."

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by dinos22
    MIRROR MIRROR ON THE WALL WHAT IS THE BEST FINISH OF THEM ALL

Yes you shall go to the ball cinders

@topic -
    Seriously though lapping to a mirror finish is nice to look at sure, but really as long as the surface is flat that is enough, as dinos/cathar says 600 grit is plenty to achieve this without gouging the surface. To lap an IHS that is already pretty much dead flat is not worth it, but if your IHS is concave like mine was then chances are you will get a good result from lapping... sadly Intel's IHS's are not consistent in that regard so it's always worth checking.

As far as paste application, in my experience it pays to use as little as humanly possible, I've always had best results when the paste is so thinly applied that it is practically translucent. The method described by Arctic Silver where you apply a line for dual core or a grain of rice for single cores and then let the heatsink spread it always gives much worse results for me, it may be fine for the uninitiated, but when every last 0.1c counts it usually makes the thickness of the TIM way too heavy and hinders heat transfer. That's an interesting idea about not using any paste at all, I've considered it in the past but never had the balls to try it out... so far.
    Q6600 G0 L720B058 @ 3.8GHz | Asus Maximus Formula (Rampage 0403 Modded) | 4x2Gb GSkill PC8000 PQ @ 1015MHz | XFX 9800GX2 XXX @ 680/2080 | 2 x WD Raptors RAID0 | 1 x WD5000KS | Samsung S203B DVDR/W | Samsung SM245B + Panasonic TX37LZD80
    D-Tek Fuzion | PA120.3 + Shroud + Nexus Fans | MCW30 | Laing DDC w/ Petra's DDCT-01s Top Combo | Tygon 1/2" Tubing | T-Line

Xtreme Cruncher
    No polish whatsoever, just wet and dry, 30 minute job

Core 2 Quad Q6600 @ 3GHz . DFI DK P45-T2RS Plus . XFX 9800GT 512MB . 8GB OCZ Blade PC2-9200 . WD6400AAKS AHCI .
    Creative X-Fi XtremeMusic . Hanns.G 28" LCD . Thermalright U120-E . Seasonic S12 600w . Windows 7 Professional E Retail x64 .

Xtreme Member
    Awesome pics lawrywild

I've never really considered the benefits of lapping, guess I'm like a boy with a new toy and want it installed and running as soon as poss but this thread has reminded that OC'ing is like decorating - it's all in the preparation, plus I've always been attracted to shiney copper

Xtreme Member
    how's the warranty after lapping the processor?

tnx

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by DJSUB
    how's the warranty after lapping the processor?

tnx
    gone ... i believe ...

Xtreme Gamer
    Quote Originally Posted by sbinh
    gone ... i believe ...
    and that's when you ask yourself how often do you have CPUs fail on you after a good 24+ burn in... the answer is close to never. About 1 in 10k are prone to fail.

Xtreme Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by HermS
    Yes you shall go to the ball cinders

@topic -
    Seriously though lapping to a mirror finish is nice to look at sure, but really as long as the surface is flat that is enough, as dinos/cathar says 600 grit is plenty to achieve this without gouging the surface. To lap an IHS that is already pretty much dead flat is not worth it, but if your IHS is concave like mine was then chances are you will get a good result from lapping... sadly Intel's IHS's are not consistent in that regard so it's always worth checking.

As far as paste application, in my experience it pays to use as little as humanly possible, I've always had best results when the paste is so thinly applied that it is practically translucent. The method described by Arctic Silver where you apply a line for dual core or a grain of rice for single cores and then let the heatsink spread it always gives much worse results for me, it may be fine for the uninitiated, but when every last 0.1c counts it usually makes the thickness of the TIM way too heavy and hinders heat transfer. That's an interesting idea about not using any paste at all, I've considered it in the past but never had the balls to try it out... so far.
    well i dont think you have to worry about how big your balls are with trying out no paste. Personally i think now adays unless your stuff is extremely uneven as long as the metal of the heatsink makes good contact with the IHS you wont have to worry about starting the thing up and it burning up I would know, when i first started building computers i did not mount a heatsink right on a slot 1 pentium 3 and it didnt make contact with the cpu, and i destroyed that cpu by always trying to run it with no heatsink

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by rick_fx
    Excellent stuff, thanks! I beeter think hard about this, cus even though CPU failure is very rare (I have never needed to RMA a CPU) it is still a possibility. Im nervous! Still, great stuff, everyone!

The Hulk: "Hulk smash!"
    MoBo: Evga 780i
    CPU: Intel Core2Extreme X6800 (L631A669)
    Heat Sink / Fan: Tuniq Tower 120
    Mem: Corsair Domnianator 6400C4D (2x1024MB)
    Video: BFG 8800GTX OC2 x1 (other card went bad and is going to be RMA'd)
    HDD: Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 320GB SATA
    Sound: On board
    Net: On board
    PSU: CoolerMaster 850W SLI
    Case: CoolerMaster Stacker 830 Nvidia Edition

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Well, you guys got me so excited by the pretty lapping jobs, I had to try for myself.

Last edited by crazyea; 02-06-2007 at 03:29 PM. Reason: Old pictures ugly, new pictures pretty.
    | Asus Maximus IV Extreme | i7 2600K w/ Noctua NH-D14 | ASUS ENGTX580 DirectCU II |
    | 2x4GB G.Skill DDR3-1600 | Corsair F60 60GB - Raid 0 | WD2001FASS | Silverstone FT-02 w/ Corsair 1200w PSU|

Xtreme Guru
    so how uneven was it, im sure you were able to tell during the process? My lappiing kit is on its way, but ill be lapping my old AMD athlon 64, because i wont be buying the new parts for the new rig for some time.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    It took me 20-30mins of sanding just to get the inner area at the same level as the outer area. It was like a crater in the center.
    | Asus Maximus IV Extreme | i7 2600K w/ Noctua NH-D14 | ASUS ENGTX580 DirectCU II |
    | 2x4GB G.Skill DDR3-1600 | Corsair F60 60GB - Raid 0 | WD2001FASS | Silverstone FT-02 w/ Corsair 1200w PSU|

Xtreme Addict
    Wow! Loved the "out the window, on the street" pic, haha! I didn't spend too much time on this E6400, but it did lower temps and she's 24hr Orthos stable @ 3600.

Last edited by Jodiuh; 02-02-2007 at 04:36 PM.

Xtreme Member
    whats the best motion to go into?

90 degree angles or a figure 8?

By 90 degree angle, what i mean is to place the cpu on the sand paper and move it up, straight up then pick it up and place it back down in the center of the paper and do it again at least another 4 times. Then rotate the cpu to the right and go up again 5 times. Is this the best way?

also, you have to do this dry right? Do not wet the paper with anything??

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Orangeblast
    whats the best motion to go into?

90 degree angles or a figure 8?

By 90 degree angle, what i mean is to place the cpu on the sand paper and move it up, straight up then pick it up and place it back down in the center of the paper and do it again at least another 4 times. Then rotate the cpu to the right and go up again 5 times. Is this the best way?

also, you have to do this dry right? Do not wet the paper with anything??
    Read this, same principle applies for a CPU as a heatsink. http://www.bigbruin.com/reviews/lapp...dex.php?file=1
    Last edited by qdemn7; 02-02-2007 at 06:17 PM.
    MSI Big Bang XPower
    Core i7 930 @ 3.38 Ghz
    6 x 2GB Patriot DDR3 1600
    XFX Double D 7850
    Therltake Toughpower 1200
    Thermalright Ultra 120 Extreme
    OCZ Revodrive 3 120GB
    Corsair 700D
    Dell 2405FPW
    W7 Pro 64 bit

Xtreme Member
    love this thread ... awesome pics ... hmm .. im thinking of lapping mine now as well

need more Mhz
    i7 920, EX58-UD5, 6GB Corsair 1600Mhz, 8344ELP + 4x146GB SAS, 2x640GB, 27" DELL, 4870, P182 liquid cooled, Antec Quattro 1kW, X-Fi Prelude + Z5500, Razer Mamba, G15

Xtreme Member
    It said to use water.

I think thats a no-no.

you sand the IHS with dry sand paper, NO WATER no OIL no soap. right? just straight dry?

and yes, it looks like the 90 degree up/down left/right technique is best.

do you do it back and forth or up and the lift up and place it back down and go up again?

I am Xtreme
    My E6300

Reflecting camera.

Reflecting the Giant Markets logo on a gallon of distilled.

...and my friends Celeron D

Reflecting my monitor.

and mousepad.
    Core i3-550 Clarkdale @ 4.2GHz, 1.36v (Corsair A50 HS/F) LinX Stable
    MSI H55-GD65 Motherboard
    G.Skill 4GBRL DDR3-1600 @ 1755, CL9, 1.55v
    Sapphire Radeon 5750 1GB
    Samsung F4 320GB - WD Green 1TB
    Xigmatek Utgard Case - Corsair VX550

Xtreme Member
    <3 u for this thread.

h8 u for using this cute avatar i allready use in another forum.

h8<3

Xtreme Guru

Page 3 of 22 FirstFirst 12345613 ... LastLast