Thread: watts to degrees conversion

I am Xtreme

watts to degrees conversion

ok im on a mission today and i can't find the answer.
    what is the conversion for watts to celcius when your talking cpu's.
    ive seen the equation before and for the life of me i can't find it and its going to burn a hole in my brain until i find it.
    "These are the rules. Everybody fights, nobody quits. If you don't do your job I'll kill you myself.
    Welcome to the Roughnecks"

"Anytime you think I'm being too rough, anytime you think I'm being too tough, anytime you miss-your-mommy, QUIT!
    You sign your 1248, you get your gear, and you take a stroll down washout lane. Do you get me?"

Heat Ebay Feedback

I am Xtreme
    now i know one of you math geniuses knows this ive seen people post it before i just cant find it here
    "These are the rules. Everybody fights, nobody quits. If you don't do your job I'll kill you myself.

"Anytime you think I'm being too rough, anytime you think I'm being too tough, anytime you miss-your-mommy, QUIT!
    You sign your 1248, you get your gear, and you take a stroll down washout lane. Do you get me?"

Heat Ebay Feedback

Xtreme Cruncher
    ??? Watts is a measure of power and degrees is a measure of temperature. You can't just say 100w = 1°C rise in temperature because 100w is going to raise the temperature of something thats small a lot whereas it won't do anything to the temperature of a chunk of iron.
    3570K ● Asus V Gene ● 8GB Mushkin DDR3-2133 ● EVGA 660 Ti SC ● Seasonic X750 ● 128GB Samsung 830 SSD & External 1TB RAID1

SupremeFX SPDIF -> MHDT Constantine DAC -> Darkvoice 336i Tube Amplifier -> AKG K701

Xtreme Mentor
    Quote Originally Posted by Lestat
    ok im on a mission today and i can't find the answer.
    what is the conversion for watts to celcius when your talking cpu's.
    ive seen the equation before and for the life of me i can't find it and its going to burn a hole in my brain until i find it.
    You cannot do that without knowing the thermal transport capacity of your cooling solution in your environment. And that capacity is certainly not constant, so you have a pretty big mess on your hands if you want to develop an approximate formula.

Banned
    There's a formula for watts to Joules, of course, but none for watts to Celsius like uOpt said. In theory it kinda makes sense as heat and energy are related, but they're not directly comparable.

I am Xtreme
    yes there is and when i find it .....
    now it could have been a calculation per cpu brand, i cant recall.

but you know as well as i do a 65w cpu runs cooler than those beasty old 150 cpu's is that cuz of the voltage ? no cuz they actually run similar voltages, its the wattage output of the cpu.

have you never heard of 150w of heat ? now i know as you that there are 1000000 other variables to take into consideration that can change that temp, its just a temp at the core of the cpu.
    i know when i did find it it took lot of searching but the guy had a calculation to tell you volts, watts, cpu freq. = such-n-such projected temp.
    it also wanted to know the thermal conductivity rating of your heatsink.

its not a simple watts to celcius calculation i know that, but there is a way to figure the thermal/wattage rating of the cpu to degrees.

hopefully me just describing it more helps.

oh its frustrating cuz i had it bookmarked before i reloaded my system last time and i never said my bookmarks.

Heat Ebay Feedback

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Yea power (watts) is dissipated across a resistor in the form of heat.....but this isn't a direct comparison, as this relates to serveral variables as stated above. Such as resistance, current, voltage, capacitance.......
    Q6600 G0 @ 3.8 (475x8) 1.496V || ASUS Maximus Formula X38 || 4x2GB Geil Evo One DDR2-950 5-5-5-15 ||
    Sapphire 4870X2 857/1000 || XSPC Delrin full coverage block || MCP655 || D-Tek Fuzion Nozzled ||
    Black Ice 480GTX 8 120mm Yate Loon push/pull || Silverstone DA850 PSU 70A +12V || Auzentech Prelude ||
    Vantage P15071 in Vista x64

Xtreme Cruncher
    remember the 2nd law of thermodynamics.

Xtreme Cruncher
    Quote Originally Posted by Lestat

its not a simple watts to celcius calculation i know that, but there is a way to figure the thermal/wattage rating of the cpu to degrees.
    The only W/°C rating I know of is for heatsinks, which basically is the measure of how much heat can be dissipated.
    3570K ● Asus V Gene ● 8GB Mushkin DDR3-2133 ● EVGA 660 Ti SC ● Seasonic X750 ● 128GB Samsung 830 SSD & External 1TB RAID1

SupremeFX SPDIF -> MHDT Constantine DAC -> Darkvoice 336i Tube Amplifier -> AKG K701

Quote Originally Posted by Kobalt
    The only W/°C rating I know of is for heatsinks, which basically is the measure of how much heat can be dissipated.
    yea and that is because its one solid element or compound, not a mix. that relationship isnt linear either, imo the best way to test is to actually do the trials. increase the voltage and see how it affects the temp. its most likely logarithmic, and after u plot a bunch of points u should be able to use any graphing program to derive a regression line.

all outta gum
    But then you actually have no way of measuring the wattage of CPU at different voltages. It can be done on a dummy heater - i've seen such thing on some polish site, they have built a copper block in shape of CPU core and it's heated from inside by heating spiral (don't know the right english word). There you always know the current and voltage and can measure watts/celsius curve for a cooling solution.
    www.teampclab.pl
    MOA 2009 Poland #2, AMD Black Ops 2010, MOA 2011 Poland #1, MOA 2011 EMEA #12

Test bench: empty