Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Newly built recovery machine! DIY

Xtreme Mentor

Newly built recovery machine! DIY

Well I was bored out of my skull and for some reason house cleaning wasn't going to cut it, So I figured I'd finish a project that I had procrastinated away for dam well 5 years! (Ya I'm a pro at putting things off )

So a brief over view: The main reason I decided to build one was to re-use old R-12 from fridges as there are plenty about, but my conscious killed that Idea I just can't murder our environment like that by allowing the gas to be put into another system, I'll let the HVAC guys take it to be destroyed (Thats what we do in BC any old R-12 is incinerated and destroyed) how ever during a recent move the guys killed my chiller, and I been getting more R-22 charged systems. With my chiller damaged and scoring some Ac's I figured about time to make a system to both recover it and mediocrey recondition it by removing oil and other such things from it.

The design concept: By using an old green propane tank as the intake separater it leaves plenty of space for it to suck in liquid, and any who do home brewing knows the idea of distillation it works the same for refrigerant! We boil the refrigerant off leaving the waste oil inside the tank to be disposed of. Using an oil sep on the compressors discharge we can prevent the compressor oil from getting back into the refrigerant being recovered, and by using a cap the refrigerant being recovered will all so cool the compressor!

So after recovering the refrigerant, I set it up so it sucks in liquid, distills it, then puts it back in the tank in a continuous cycle, Oh with a F/D in-between the tank and machine of course on the suction side.

Now for the picies!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	bulk head front.jpg 
Views:	2535 
Size:	75.4 KB 
ID:	54270   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	bulk head top.jpg 
Views:	2187 
Size:	36.5 KB 
ID:	54271   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Intake oil sep.jpg 
Views:	2631 
Size:	107.8 KB 
ID:	54272   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Compressor.jpg 
Views:	2395 
Size:	124.6 KB 
ID:	54273   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Vibration dampeners.jpg 
Views:	2405 
Size:	111.7 KB 
ID:	54274  

Bring back natural selection! No more warning lables!

The one and Only MG Pony

Xtreme Mentor
    More pics

So thats it for now till I start fixing my chiller.

I have vaced it out to 28.5" Hg and it sat at that for over night with out budging and it held 85PSI through the day so I think it is safe to say it is a tight system. It will be charged with POE oil and I'll be using a CO-082 F/D.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Waste oil valve.jpg 
Views:	2280 
Size:	45.4 KB 
ID:	54275   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Full view.jpg 
Views:	2677 
Size:	119.8 KB 
ID:	54276  

The one and Only MG Pony

Xtreme Mentor
    thanks, I recomend puting a strainer inbetween the outlet of the tank and intake of the suction port of the compressor to protect against any particals that may have found their way into the tank during fabrication, I didn't have one on hand, so said sod it, and built it any way.

The one and Only MG Pony

-150c Club Member
    Hmmm sorta like what I was considering! Except i completely forgot about the oil. Good reminder ;0

If you have a cooling question or concern feel free to contact me.

Xtreme Mentor
    Hehe glad to see this thread is helping to remind

Another reson for such a stupidly large intake sep is it will allow me to pull in liquide to a degree for very fast removal directly from systems with small receivers and remove the oil on the fly so it saves time and hassle.

The one and Only MG Pony

Xtreme Member
    heh, very inventive
    from the pics I didn't see a pressure switch, I think if I put something together like that I'd fit something just to protect the tank, I guess the chances of that compressor blowing the tank up like a baloon is rather slim, nevertheless, it's another gadget to wire in

anyhow, we need more threads like this, good job Xeon.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Much better recycling unit in my opinion... http://www.extremecooling.net/index/...opic.php?23508
    with chiller, he is able to recycle high presure gas like R23 or R1150...
    Quote Originally Posted by Xeon th MG Pony View Post
    ....and avoid being a total venting loser!

Xtreme Mentor
    Quote Originally Posted by expansionvalve
    heh, very inventive
    from the pics I didn't see a pressure switch, I think if I put something together like that I'd fit something just to protect the tank, I guess the chances of that compressor blowing the tank up like a baloon is rather slim, nevertheless, it's another gadget to wire in

anyhow, we need more threads like this, good job Xeon.

did you see the two spar ports at the bulk head?

I had to rush out so I didn't have time to post the fact that is what they where for where the dual pressure switches!

Thanks for pointing it out though, good thing to not leave to chance!
    Last edited by Xeon th MG Pony; 12-29-2006 at 11:18 PM.

The one and Only MG Pony

Xtreme Mentor
    Quote Originally Posted by Moc
    Much better recycling unit in my opinion... http://www.extremecooling.net/index/...opic.php?23508
    with chiller, he is able to recycle high presure gas like R23 or R1150...

lol you think I'm don? I been working on a design that uses the recovered refrigerant to super cool the recovery cylinder and cools the compresser oil all at once, still mentaly tweaking the design -Insert devil smiley here- I was thinking if I ever got into the higher pressure stuff using an auto cascade principal to cool the recovery machine and high pressur gas.

His design is sloppy IMO needs to be majourly streamlined and uses two compressores and is dependant on a secondary refrigerant Mine will use the very refrigerant it is recovering and be a single clean loop with one compressor. It will be worth the wait lets put it that way.

My next recovery unit is going to be much smaller and cleaner then the one in the first post, that was some thing to just allow me to get the stuff don that I need to get finnished.

EDIT: Added info and text
    Last edited by Xeon th MG Pony; 12-29-2006 at 11:42 PM.

The one and Only MG Pony

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Xeon th MG Pony
    lol you think I'm don? I been working on a design that uses the recovered refrigerant to super cool the recovery cylinder and cools the compresser oil all at once, still mentaly tweaking the design -Insert devil smiley here- I was thinking if I ever got into the higher pressure stuff using an auto cascade principal to cool the recovery machine and high pressur gas.
    Ya, I think so.. Show me you design please. Okay, you can use recovered refrigerant to cool the R Cylinder but that would only work with low pressure gas like R404A, R507, R134A... do you think that would work with R23 or R1150 ? Autocascading Recovery Unit... that can't work! Want to see you design also here.

Xtreme Mentor
    When its don, I am still working on it for the normal gasses, for the higher pressur ones remember that expanding gass will cool just fine it has low capacity though, but cools non the less & with a recovery machine I imagine you need not tons of capacity, thus I think even vapour expansion will work, it then becomes simple issue of efficient plumbing and design, this I need to work on, it may work as my low pressur one. Only diff is the high pressur will use expanding gas to cool rather then boiling liquid.

The one and Only MG Pony

Xtreme Addict
    Does anyone know of a guide or anything to do with recovery machines? I'm unsure of how they work .
    The only thing i'm slightly sure about is that you need a strong vacuum to pull out the refrigerant, then it would be hooked up to a recovery tank and the gas compressed back inside?

-150c Club Member
    Well generally you want to condense that refrigerant back into the recovery tank. Or illegal, home made cylinders if you somehow can purify and re-use the refrigerant on your own. But you have to seperate out the oil from the unit and from the recovery unit.

Xtreme Member
    I second Brett's request, perhaps someone could draw a diagram of recovery machine. It looks like their's a diagram over at the German site, but I don't speal the language.

-150c Club Member

Theres as I understand it.

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by n00b 0f l337
    Well generally you want to condense that refrigerant back into the recovery tank. Or illegal, home made cylinders if you somehow can purify and re-use the refrigerant on your own. But you have to seperate out the oil from the unit and from the recovery unit.
    Ahh right, I think I understand. So where does the oil have to go once it's seperated from the refrigerant? In to its own storage tank until it can be removed?
    Last edited by Brettbeck; 12-30-2006 at 02:00 PM.

Xtreme Member
    Thanks NoL, I see how it works now. I suppose if I can find some scrap parts and it's cheap enough, I'll build my recovery unit rather than buying one. Have you tested this yet Xeon? How well does yours work?

Xtreme Addict
    I made a quick design, does it look ok?

-150c Club Member
    Same as mine though I think your compressor might overheat, and if the back and forth lines above the compressor are a condenser, your in for trouble.

Xtreme Addict
    Sorry I should have made that more clear... I copied and pasted the components out of another diagram I drew for a cascade .
    The back and forth lines above the compressor is a de-superheater, which probably isn't needed. Also, the back and forth lines on the right side is the condenser, but that has nothing to do with size. It would be a similar size to single stage condensers .

Admin
    Thanks for the cool thread MG Pony - I'm going to build a unit for myself now.
    UNDER THE ICE .com
    Phase Change Cooling

is the remedy

Xtreme Enthusiast
    My recoverty unit:

With my unit, you don't need a recycling bottle...

On the rise!
    I think I will use this as a guide and build my own recovery unit. Was tryin to think of how to build one the night before last and then this thread shows up. This is excellent. I'm thinkin STICKY! Or at least add it to one of the Phase guides.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    I also agree on putting this in with the phase guides.
    Making it easier to DIY your own recovery unit will hopefully decrease the number of DIY'ers out there just dumping it into the atmosphere.
    Quote Originally Posted by kayl View Post
    the ethylene in NZ is colder
    Quote Originally Posted by DetroitAC View Post
    When in doubt about an unknown substance, I taste it just in case it's pie.
    Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    Would you be willing to piss over the mona lisa?

Xtreme Mentor
    Quote Originally Posted by n00b 0f l337

Theres as I understand it.
    and theres about right well dead on to be exact ty.

The one and Only MG Pony

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast