Page 1 of 11 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: EVGA 680i SLI board is killing ram.

Xtreme Enthusiast

EVGA 680i SLI board is killing ram.

I have 2 kits of G.Skill 6400HZ and i have lost 1 stick from each kit. 1 of the sticks that died has never been overvolted.

Here is some compaints and stories

Originally posted by Dayofpain
    [br]heres a nice piece of ****.

4x DOMINATOR PC8888 FRIED
    4X DOMINATOR PC8500 FRIED
    2X OCZ TITIANIUM PC8000 FRIED.

Im going to return this pos to newegg. (the mobo)

First mobo.

http://www.evga.com/community/messag...erms=dayofpain

Second mobo.

Installed last night.

Have to remove power and use cmos jumper to boot EVERY SINGLE TIME. beta bios flashed. Too bad everysingle resistor on the board needed to be straightened. 2 were bent all the way to the ram slots. gfg.

cant boot cant maintain voltage. and this is one that they handpicked for an advanced rma.

later evga. 2 strikes ur out.

2 thousand dollars in ram. Thanks.

--------------------------------------------------------

Originally posted by palese
    [br]just lost a stick of Corsair 6400C3DF in black slot, the default volt for this ram is 2.4
    ---------------------------------------------

Originally posted by linflas

and I have 2 GB of Gskill sitting on my desk waiting for an RMA number because one stick I know for sure has gone to the ******per, and another that I do not trust now, back to corsair for me, as soon as I get new one's back from RMA the gskill goes on ebay, and I get some better corsair stuff
    ------------------------------------

Quote Originally Posted by sadcat1
    I can tell you in my case no sticks work in the right slots, all sticks work in the left slots and when a stick is put in either right slot,I get C1 and a long beep.
    -----------------------------------------

Quote Originally Posted by lopri
    Absolutely no. I had the same C1 problem with one of my sticks. I first thought my stick was defective because I didn't have a problem booting with my other pair. (Both pairs are exact same model, same batch)

After playing a bit with the working pair, I used canned air to blow any dirt away from the sticks and the slots. I also configured the BIOS settings to what I wanted (including Vdimm). Shut down the machine and inserted the problematic sticks, then it worked flawlessly ever since.
    ---------------------------------------------

The board didn't kill my ram! It doesn't work in the right side slots. It works in the left side. I know this is difficult to believe. My personal opinion is these reference boards have so many different problems, they have no idea how to fix them.

Xtreme Member
    i just cancelled my order just by reading this.I hope i did the right thing

XIP
    Its a difficult mobo to overclock. Other conroe's board is too easy...Set all in bios, boot to window and use clockgen, but not this 680i board.

Remember those UTT fiasco? It turned out that Nf4 board not supply enough v to memory when it post. Change the ram's spd cured it all.
    680i board just came out not even 3 weeks with 1 bios revision (1333 FSB conroes not even released yet).

I ran this board almost 24/7 in 12 days straight with phase @-40/-30ish evap. overclocked (mostly @4.2Ghz 1.6Vcore) and never give me a problem.....Knock on wood.
    And I killed a bunch of 975X boards because condensation or some other problem.

Give it time and keep playin with it.
    Last edited by Dumo; 11-24-2006 at 03:46 AM.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Report of my 2 bad sticks.
    Stick-1 needs 2.2v to run at stock speed and timings
    Stick-2 Tried 2.1v,2.2v,2.3v At stock speeds and stock timing and BSOD just before windows.

So i have a bad stick in each of my 2 kits tested.

It seems that the second blue slot is the 1 that damaged my rams.

Xtreme Member
    OMAGAD! thats sound really bad. I knew something MUST be wrong about a 590 labeled as 680!

I hope Abit and the other Manufacturers who havent released their Board are now aware of the Problem!

iLL

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by SKiLL3D
    OMAGAD! thats sound really bad. I knew something MUST be wrong about a 590 labeled as 680!

I hope Abit and the other Manufacturers who havent released their Board are now aware of the Problem!

iLL
    i hope they don't have the problem either.
    I know that the asus striker has the sound problem just like the evga did.

Xtreme Addict
    to all the 680i users out there:

do u think 680i is buggy now??

cuz i kinda wanna get 1 but after seeing these results ...
    E6600 @ 3.6
    IN9 32x MAX
    EVGA 8800Ultra
    750W

Xtreme Addict
    man u hate this board dont u?

if this is how it goes. i might just get P5B DLX and prolly do single GPU...
    E6600 @ 3.6
    IN9 32x MAX
    EVGA 8800Ultra
    750W

Xtreme Member
    It is buggy, yes. I do have a question, though. About how many of these motherboards have been sold and are being used right now? Quite a few. The op quoted 5 posts from other forums, 6 if you include himself. sadcat1 and lopri are not reporting that their 680i killed their ram, so scratch two of the six. So their are 4 people reporting dead ram. Does this make it a confrimed epidemic? Do the math and percentages. It does not. Let's say for argument's sake that only 500 EVGA 680i's were sold and being used. With four people reoprting ram failures, that would put it at .8%. Does that sound like a "confirmed" motherboard defect? Not yet.

I have 2 kits of G.Skill 6400HZ and i have lost 1 stick from each kit. 1 of the sticks that died has never been overvolted.
    So 3 of the 4 that failed have been overvolted? What does that do for an RMA? You voided your warranty when you applied too much voltage to the ram sticks.

The board didn't kill my ram! It doesn't work in the right side slots. It works in the left side. I know this is difficult to believe.
    posted by sadcat

How many boards and chipsets have ram slots that don't work very well? DFI boards are famous for having to use the orange slots and not the yellow (I used the SLI-DR for a year, so I know this from experience). Does this make it a ram killer? No, even posted by sadcat, one of the persons you tried to use to bear witness to your EVGA 680i SLI board is killing ram. Confirmed!!!
    doomsday thread topic.

As far as Dayofpain and his $2000 worth of ruined ram, I feel for him, because that's an aweful lot of money. But good lord, wouldn't you have stopped after maybe the second set of ram stopped working????? To me, it would have been very obvious after the second set of memory failed that their was an issue with the board, but to waste 2 sets of four and an additional set of two sticks is not very wise. Like I said, I really do feel bad for him, but man, common sense should have kicked in at some point, don't you think? As a side note to his particular situation, EVGA rep contacted him directly on Wed to get his mobo issue resolved. It's obvious that he got a very very bad motherboard. But again, does this confirm that all EVGA 680i's are ram killers? NO!!!!!!!!!

If you wanted to post how this board has sata issues, you would have a much stronger case, seeing as there are many, many more posts and complaints that support that claim, including EVGA responding that nVidia and EVGA are aware of the issue and are working on it.

Your "confirmed" claim has been confirmed by you and maybe 3 other people. Very shakey at best.
    Last edited by shawn1998; 11-24-2006 at 04:44 AM.
    Asus P6T6 Revolution/Core i7 965EE
    Vista Ultimate 64bit
    BFG GTX295
    6x2gig OCZ Platinum DDR3-1600
    Samsung SH-S223Q
    2 640gig WD's in raid 0
    Areca ARC-1210
    Auzentech X-FI Forte/Z-5500's
    Corsair 1000w psu

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by shawn1998
    So 3 of the 4 that failed have been overvolted? What does that do for an RMA? You voided your warranty when you applied too much voltage to the ram sticks.
    Only 1 stick that was overvolted failed but is working at stock speed and timings at 2.2v now. the dead stick wasn't overvolted at all. 2 of my sticks out of the 4 are fine and dandy.

Overvolting G.skill ram does not void your warranty.
    From G.skill web site.

RMA Policy

All G.SKILL memory products are covered under Life time warranty.

RMA Process
    Please contact us (by email or fax) for RMA request and please provide following information for RMA request.

1. Invoice Number

2. Invoice Date

3. Description or part number of product

4. Quantity

5. Failure Sympton

* RMA shipping instructions: RMA must be shipped freight prepaid and insured. Replacement items will be shipped back to customer freight prepaid as well.

* Product that proves defective by reason of improper workmanship or materials by G.SKILL is subject to repair or replacement without charge for parts and labor. Product returned within warranty period will be repaired or replaced upon verification and testing of the product.

Warranty Void
    No express or implied warranty is made for product if following points meet:

1. Warranty sticker is removed

2. Physically damaged (e.g. racks, missing pins, nurnt contacts, or bent leads)

3. Any unathorized disassembly, repair or modification (includes heatsink)

4. Use thermal paste to make the memory chip print damaged as the photo below

Xtreme Member
    * Product that proves defective by reason of improper workmanship or materials by G.SKILL is subject to repair or replacement without charge for parts and labor. Product returned within warranty period will be repaired or replaced upon verification and testing of the product.
    So it's G-Skill's fault that you ran it out of spec? Does over-volting fall under the "improper workmanship" or "materials"? Just curious...

I wouldn't advertise the fact that you over-vloted some of the "failed" memory to G-Skill. I think you are reading something into the warranty that's not implied.
    Last edited by shawn1998; 11-24-2006 at 05:05 AM.
    Vista Ultimate 64bit
    BFG GTX295
    Samsung SH-S223Q
    2 640gig WD's in raid 0
    Areca ARC-1210
    Corsair 1000w psu

Xtreme Enthusiast
    So it's G-Skill's fault that you ran it out of spec? Does over-volting fall under the "improper workmanship" or "materials"? Just curious...

I wouldn't advertise the fact that you over-vloted some of the "failed" memory to G-Skill. I think you are reading something into the warranty that's not implied.
    here is a quote from gskill help section.
    Quote Originally Posted by kakaroto
    It should not be right. If you need voltage for stock speeds that is beyond stock voltages, you should RMA them.
    Often they are bad kits.
    http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/...ad.php?t=76323

Xtreme Legend
    did your sticks die in the same slot
    Team.AU
    Got tube?
    GIGABYTE Australia
    Need a GIGABYTE bios or support?

Xtreme Member
    You are completely missing the point. I've read your posts over on the EVGA forums and know a little of the background. You have memory that is rated at 4-4-4-12 2.0-2.1 volts. You ran them at 4-4-4-8 2.3-2.4 volts. Your reasoning wsa because they had the micron D9 chips on them, so you figured that you were well within the warranty to run them at those timings and voltages. I'm happy your DDR2 6400HZ's have micron D9 chips on them, but that doesn't change the fact that you RAN THEN OUT OF SPEC. Get it yet? It doesn't matter what they have on them, it matters what the manufacturer specifications rate them at. You ran them out of spec.

ok i think i might have found the problem.
    I set voltage to 2.3v and 1 of the bad sticks seems to be working so far.
    I am testing the stick with orthos blend test. which is using the whole 1GB. i will test for 20 minutes and then i will test the other stick. I think that there seems to be a problem with Vdimm in this P20 beta bios.

I am running the ram at stock speed 4-4-4-8 2.3v

EVGA 680i SLI M/B
    C2D X6800
    4GB G.Skill 6400HZ
    SilverStone 850W ZEUS
    8800GTS SLI
    2 x 150GB WD Raptors
    1 x 74GB WD Raptors
    2 x 250GB WD Caviar SE16
    2 x pioneer 111D
    X-Fi Extreme Music
    Logitech Z5500
    G7 mouse
    22" Proview HDCP
    This is your qoute from the EVGA forums. Your ram is not rated to run at 4-4-4-8 and 2.3 volts. You ran it out of spec. This is a statement of fact taken from your own post.
    Vista Ultimate 64bit
    BFG GTX295
    Samsung SH-S223Q
    2 640gig WD's in raid 0
    Areca ARC-1210
    Corsair 1000w psu

Xtreme Addict
    why would you run this ram stock speed 4-4-4-8 at 2.3v?

I have a pair i can run at 450 at 4-4-4-8 at 2.0
    Mpower Max | 4770k | H100 | 16gb Sammy 30nm 1866 | GTX780 SC | Xonar Essence Stx | BIC DV62si | ATH AD700 | 550d | AX850 | VG24QE | 840pro 256gb | 640black | 2tb | CherryReds | m60 | Func1030 |
    HEAT

Xtreme Enthusiast
    the only thing here is that YOUR mobo, and YOUR setting killed the ram...too many of us have the same mobo and ram with no probs.
    Q6600 L723A (400 x9)
    Evga 780i P02
    G.skill 8 GB
    Evga GTX 280
    Raptor X (3) 150's Raid 0
    Targen BZ 1100w
    Thermalright Ultra Extreme 120
    Vista Ultimate x64
    Xclio

Xtreme Member
    So.............. X.T.R.E.M.E_ICE, shawn1998
    Should we buy it or not?? Any advice??

-tam2-

Xtreme Addict
    Maybe there should be a pinned posting:

WARNING 680 board defects, defuncts and out right lemonade problems!

I'm not kidding, there seems to be quit a few people having issues with this board - scary.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    If it's true than this is bad
    Core Quad Q9300
    ASUS P5Q-PRO
    4GB RAM
    Ati Radeon 4890
    Enermax Liberty 620w

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by dinos22
    did your sticks die in the same slot
    i think so.

Xtreme Member
    You are completely missing the point. I've read your posts over on the EVGA forums and know a little of the background. You have memory that is rated at 4-4-4-12 2.0-2.1 volts. You ran them at 4-4-4-8 2.3-2.4 volts.

This is your qoute from the EVGA forums. Your ram is not rated to run at 4-4-4-8 and 2.3 volts. You ran it out of spec. This is a statement of fact taken from your own post.
    4-4-4-8@2.3v shouldn't be a problem for this ram. I had the same kit running on my P5B-Dlx, same timings, 950mhz and 2.3v... And no problem at all, rock stable!

Well, but acidents appens...
    Last edited by JohnMike; 11-24-2006 at 06:53 AM.

Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit, SP1 Power By:
    Asus Rampage IV Formula
    Intel SBE 3930K
    Gskill RipJaws Z 14900 (1866 DDR3) 16GB 10-11-10-24
    EVGA 570 GTX SLI
    SSD Samsung P830 240GB
    Corsair AX850

Xtreme Enthusiast
    You are completely missing the point. I've read your posts over on the EVGA forums and know a little of the background. You have memory that is rated at 4-4-4-12 2.0-2.1 volts. You ran them at 4-4-4-8 2.3-2.4 volts. Your reasoning wsa because they had the micron D9 chips on them, so you figured that you were well within the warranty to run them at those timings and voltages. I'm happy your DDR2 6400HZ's have micron D9 chips on them, but that doesn't change the fact that you RAN THEN OUT OF SPEC. Get it yet? It doesn't matter what they have on them, it matters what the manufacturer specifications rate them at. You ran them out of spec.

g.skill say that overvolt does not void warranty.

Quote Originally Posted by tam2
    So.............. X.T.R.E.M.E_ICE, shawn1998
    Should we buy it or not?? Any advice??

-tam2-
    wait for word from evga first.

Banned
    Now that Asus Striker Extremely Overpriced isn't looking so bad.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Omastar
    Now that Asus Striker Extremely Overpriced isn't looking so bad.
    it has the sound problem as well.

Page 1 of 11 1234 ... LastLast