Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: RV570 To Be First SLI-Able GFX Card From ATI

Xtreme Addict
    Apparently ATi is a little less apprehensive about showing this off. Don't ask me why...They're both coming at approx the same time afaik.

I'd link to all the pics, but it'd just get deleted. You can still find them around the web if you look though, although not at any of the original sources... :P
    That is all.

Peace and love.

Live Long And Overclock
    Thx for understanding why the pics were removed...though let this be a lesson

Always save prerelease pics right when they come out

Perkam

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by perkam
    Thx for understanding why the pics were removed...though let this be a lesson

Always save prerelease pics right when they come out

Perkam
    Or look in the C:\Documents and Settings\username\Local Settings\Temporary Internet Files

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by BlackX
    Or look in the C:\Documents and Settings\username\Local Settings\Temporary Internet Files
    True dat.
    That is all.

Peace and love.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    oh man, notice that the rv570 has dual xfire bridge connectors...

assuming the R600 will have the same, that means i can buy this now, upgrade to the r600 when it comes out, and have the rv570 be used as physics or maybe xfire both the rv570 & the R600?!

i am totally getting one of these X1950 Pros

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by b0bd0le

assuming the R600 will have the same, that means i can buy this now, upgrade to the r600 when it comes out, and have the rv570 be used as physics or maybe xfire both the rv570 & the R600?!

i am totally getting one of these X1950 Pros
    very good point, but the physic card thing is still a ways off

Xtreme Member
    Looks like a nice card...but anyone got any pictures of the stock heatsink? Will it be the X1900GT one? or a new redesign? Because i saw a picture on the DFI RD600 thread with dual X1950's in there, and they werent X1950 XTX or Crossfire editions.
    Gaming Rig:
    Intel Core 2 Duo E6600 @ 3.15GHz w/Stock Intel HSF L704A945
    Asus P5N32-e SLi Plus Motherboard BIOS 1401
    3X1GB Corsair XMS2 DDR2 800Mhz RAM 4-4-4-12
    ATI Radeon 5970 E
    Seagate Barracuda 320GB HDD 16MB Cache SATA2
    Seagate Barracuda 500GB HDD 32MB Cache SATA2
    OCZ StealthXStream 700W PSU
    Samsung 18X Dual Layer DVD Burner SATA
    Samsung 22X Dual Layer DVD Burner SATA
    Thermaltake Soprano Black ATX Case with Window
    Logitech G11 Gaming Keyboard
    Logitech G5 Gaming Laser Mouse
    Logitech X-230 2.1 Speaker system
    Samsung 205BW 20" Widescreen LCD Monitor
    Windows 7 Professional x64

I am Xtreme
    i miss gazing at the RD600

its soo hott.

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by b0bd0le

assuming the R600 will have the same, that means i can buy this now, upgrade to the r600 when it comes out, and have the rv570 be used as physics or [I]maybe xfire both the rv570 & the R600?! [/
    I think the former, but not the later. I think for them to both to work together on rendering they need to be the same card (or act as the same card). Physics it would seem would work, as ATi has always said you could use a lesser card independently for physics.

As for the cooler...Think a thinner single-slot version of the x1950xtx sink with heat exhausting out the side rather than the back. It's definitely not the same one used on the x1800xl/x1900gt. The setup you saw in the RD600 thread are assumingly cross-fired rv570's.
    Last edited by turtle; 09-08-2006 at 03:10 PM.
    That is all.

Peace and love.

Live Long And Overclock
    Titled Tweaked.

Perkam

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by turtle
    I think the former, but not the later. I think for them to both to work together on rendering they need to be the same card (or act as the same card). Physics it would seem would work, as ATi has always said you could use a lesser card independently for physics.

As for the cooler...Think a thinner single-slot version of the x1950xtx sink with heat exhausting out the side rather than the back. It's definitely not the same one used on the x1800xl/x1900gt. The setup you saw in the RD600 thread are assumingly cross-fired rv570's.
    I have this feeling that we won't see much physics on DX9 cards such as these. M$ is also working on a physics API, I heaven't heard much about it, but this API will be aimed at DX10 cards because they offer even more precision and features over DX9 cards. So physics on DX9 cards might be skipped al together if they don't bring it to the market quickly.

Xtreme Addict
    Have you looked at ATi's white papers? I suggest checking out the Data Parallel Virtual Machine they demonstrated at Siggraph.

The physics API (havok-based) is probably part of the GPGPU initiative. It is DX9-based because DX10 lacks certain features (like scatter) available in DX9.

Remember, the X1K architecture was built with GPGPU (such as physics) in mind. I highly doubt they would bail on it before it's conception.
    Last edited by turtle; 09-08-2006 at 06:02 PM.
    That is all.

Peace and love.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    The LP RD600 was hawt.
    Asrock Z68 Extreme4 Gen3
    •i5 2500k @ 4.5ghz - 1.32v - CM Hyper 212 Evo
    •G.Skill F3-12800CL9D-8GB
    •ASUS 7850 @ 1250//5800
    •Corsair TX650 V2
    •Dell 3007WFP
    •Win 7 64 Ult

Quote Originally Posted by Helmore
    I have this feeling that we won't see much physics on DX9 cards such as these. M$ is also working on a physics API, I heaven't heard much about it, but this API will be aimed at DX10 cards because they offer even more precision and features over DX9 cards. So physics on DX9 cards might be skipped al together if they don't bring it to the market quickly.
    http://www.dailytech.com/article.aspx?newsid=3476

Xtreme X.I.P.
    what titles are penned for release on ATI physics?

We have no info on any upcoming titles that will support it, surley if a launch was that close there owuld at least be a rumoured supporting titles list somewhere... I want ATI phsics, but I think there's a chance we'll be waiting to at least the end of next year befoer titles are out.

regards
    Raja

Xtreme Addict
    The way I understand it, the DPVM project was ATi opening up the X1K architecture ("down to the metal") to creators without needing to go through D3D/OGL; to create their own GPGPU API's (such as physics) using the sheer computational power through the "Data Parallel Processing Architecture Abstraction Layer". Havok's API supporting ATi/Nvidia hardware for physics came out about two months ago and could be an example of this. I don't believe it has to go through D3D/OGL, but it can. It may on Nvidia hardware, and may not on ATi hardware...or something to that effect. Don't quote me on that, but it would make sense. If it does, than I imagine some other API will pop up that won't need to. That's when we'll have crossfire physics (and later on crossfire AI...etc).

I imagine we'll see games as soon as titles start trickling out that were either in a point of development that an API such as this could be incorporated (post DPPAAL) or games start to come out that started development post-release of the HavokFX API (or others that are/have created API's like it).

That's the thing that sucks about ATi's whole GPGPU thing...There's no real standard...They just opened up X1K through the DPPAAL and let people go wild with the FLOPS. I think they are hoping a standard will pop up and be accepted. If Havok is doing what I think they're doing with HavokFX, there's a good chance that will be the standard for physics; be it incorporated differently on different hardware. Look at how many games, and popular games at that, used former Havok API's that used the CPU for physics.

When ATi said It wouldn't be until roughly Spring/Summer 07 we see cards being used for physics, they weren't kidding. It still doesn't mean current hardware won't be supported, it will, it just means it'll be that long until titles are programmed towards cards using that function uniquely with a unique API and it starts to catch on. The API('s) had to be created in the first place with hardware support in mind, and I imagine that hardware was X1K as well as DX9-D3D/OGL (for all ATi/Nvidia hardware).

Does that make any sense? Maybe not. Sometimes...I just ramble.
    Last edited by turtle; 09-10-2006 at 05:57 PM.
    That is all.

Peace and love.

I am Xtreme
    Quote Originally Posted by turtle

Does that make any sense? Maybe not. Sometimes...I just ramble.

I get what you are saying.

From my understanding this is also why ATI GPU's should be able to fold once the software for it is released.

Xtreme Addict
    didital pwm looks nice, maybe there is enough space for a efficient single-slot cooling now (large fan + large surface area + low fin density )

PS: lookw at those white lines on the pcb, this cooler has to be HUGE
    Core i7 2600k|HD 6950|8GB RipJawsX|2x 128gb Samsung SSD 830 Raid0|Asus Sabertooth P67
    Seasonic X-560|Corsair 650D|2x WD Red 3TB Raid1|WD Green 3TB|Asus Xonar Essence STX

Core i3 2100|HD 7770|8GB RipJawsX|128gb Samsung SSD 830|Asrock Z77 Pro4-M
    Bequiet! E9 400W|Fractal Design Arc Mini|3x Hitachi 7k1000.C|Asus Xonar DX

Dell Latitude E6410|Core i7 620m|8gb DDR3|WXGA+ Screen|Nvidia Quadro NVS3100
    256gb Samsung PB22-J|Intel Wireless 6300|Sierra Aircard MC8781|WD Scorpio Blue 1TB

Harman Kardon HK1200|Vienna Acoustics Brandnew|AKG K240 Monitor 600ohm|Sony CDP 228ESD

beefin' it up!
    Quote Originally Posted by Revv23
    I get what you are saying.

From my understanding this is also why ATI GPU's should be able to fold once the software for it is released.
    aye, all x1k series cards will be able to run Folding@Home, with open betas starting in a matter of weeks. the folding labs at stanford are already running a 25 x1900XTX and 25 x1900XT cluster and there may be some "closed beta" activity going on with certain individuals
    i cant wait for the open beta...

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by Bloody_Sorcerer
    aye, all x1k series cards will be able to run Folding@Home
    Exactly ya'll. F@H is an example of using the DPPAAL to create an API for X1K to use the raw flops. An independant physics API could potentially be born the same way. This is not to say we won't see physics using the GPU through D3D first or at the same time, but it should come eventually.

For those wondering, the new X1900GT's w/ HDCP (clocked at 512/1314) will use the same sink/pcb as RV570 X1950pro. This is a x1900gt (hence lack of crossfire connectors) but the pics with the RD600 board showed the same heatsink on a card that did; hence assumption. The new cards will use the R580 core but will have digi PWM like x1950pro.

Pics of new X1900gt:

http://www.pcdvd.com.tw/showthread.php?t=651843
    Last edited by turtle; 09-11-2006 at 03:12 AM.
    That is all.

Peace and love.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    it looks like the air is exhausted to the end of the pci slot but it's not dual slot so the air isn't going out...

Xtreme Addict
    Air is exhausted out the side opposite the pci-e connector. This should be very useful if you have a case with a fan on the side used as an exhaust as it's usually positioned right around that area. In other cases, like CM's Stacker, there are ventilation holes on the side which this exhaust design should allow the heat to go right out of the case...In theory.
    Last edited by turtle; 09-10-2006 at 05:27 PM.
    That is all.

Peace and love.

Xtreme Addict
    it seems that the AMD and ATI merger has already paid its fruition.
    --===== proud owner of new razor tarantula gaming keyboard =====--

Admin
    Is it just me or is contact really bad with that cooler?

Overall looks promising though....digital PWM, a svelte cooler with good direction of airflow, single-slot, etc....

Live Long And Overclock
    Me likey all that copper

Perkam

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast