Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: New Discovery with Conroe IHS's!

Unoriginal Macho Energy

New Discovery with Conroe IHS's!

OK, I don't know if this has been discussed or what it means. Let me first preface this with the fact that I ordered 2 OEM 6700's from clubit.com. Second, I have no idea if this is an OEM thing or includes retail CPU's as well. My 2 6700's have DIFFERENT IHS's. The codes for each CPU are very similar and come from the same plant. Here are the codes for each CPU:

SL9S7 L624A584 - Very sharp EDGED IHS and looks wavy near the edges
    SL9S7 L624A586 - Very beveled EDGED IHS and looks very flat, like every RETAIL Intel CPU I have ever owned - this is my first buy of Intel OEM's.

It would be interesting to see if any RETAIL Conroes have this 'sharp' edged IHS. Is the beveled edge CPU a Retail reject? This could mean nothing, but I do find it odd for intel to clearly be using 2 different style IHS's especially with one being flatter. My gut feeling is that most OEM's will have the sharp edge to the IHS while the beveled edge will be for retail. Maybe I'm just insane too, IDK! Anyway, here are some pics to show what I am talking about. It is hard to see the non-flatness of the sharp edged CPU in the pics but believe me, it looks like a rippled pond

*:-.,_,.-:*'``'*:-.,_,.-:*'``'*:-.,_,.-:*'``'*:-.,_,.-:*'``'*:-.,_,.-:*
    GTZ --> MCW-NBMAX --> EK FC --> PA 120.3 --> PA 160.1 --> 2x DDC Ultras in Series --> Custom Clear Res
    "Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity."

Quote Originally Posted by ranker View Post
    Did you just get hit in the head with a heavy object? Because obviously you're failing at reading comprehension.

Xtreme Member
    probably somehow slipped passed QC cus the IHS probably goes through some kind of machine to polish and finish.
    Intel i7 950 4GHZ
    OCZ Reaper 1600mhz 6-8-6-20
    Gigabyte UDR3 X58
    2x Nvidia 460 GTX 1GB in SLI
    2x OCZ Vertex 2 120GB Raid 0
    620w Corsair PSU

Xtreme Enthusiast
    weird...
    Rig:
    Pentium D 805 3.8 GHz and counting, w/Big Typhoon (hopefully E6600 at christmas)
    eVga 7900GT KO Reload, 508/1525 stock volts
    MOBO SWITCH! P5B deluxe
    2 GB Patriot ddr2-667 4-4-4-12
    Antec NeoHE 550
    250GB Seagate 7200.10
    Thermaltake Soprano w/2xAspire 120mm and 1xThermaltake 90mm
    Dell 19'' LCD monitor
    Heat

Xtreme Member
    well the beveled edge may look flat, but mine wasn't and I lapped it so it's all copper now and really flat.
    Intel i7 2600K @4.??, Asus P67 Pro Mobo
    noctua nd-d14 - Cooler Master HAF 932
    Geforce GTX470 - 16GB Ram G.Skill RIPJAWS
    128GB Crucial Solid state drive, and a few 2TB drives
    60 inch samsung LCD LN60C630
    ---

Lenovo t60p - Core 2 duo T7200
    2GB RAM - 120GB hard drive
    ATI x1400 - fingerprint reader, NMB keyboard, etc.

Xtreme Cruncher
    Quote Originally Posted by Pandamonia
    probably somehow slipped passed QC cus the IHS probably goes through some kind of machine to polish and finish.
    I agree, I think it was supposed to have its edges bevelled and wasn't noticed at quality control.
    Core 2 Quad Q6600 @ 3GHz . DFI DK P45-T2RS Plus . XFX 9800GT 512MB . 8GB OCZ Blade PC2-9200 . WD6400AAKS AHCI .
    Creative X-Fi XtremeMusic . Hanns.G 28" LCD . Thermalright U120-E . Seasonic S12 600w . Windows 7 Professional E Retail x64 .

Unoriginal Macho Energy
    Quote Originally Posted by lawrywild
    I agree, I think it was supposed to have its edges bevelled and wasn't noticed at quality control.
    I hope that is the case!

GTZ --> MCW-NBMAX --> EK FC --> PA 120.3 --> PA 160.1 --> 2x DDC Ultras in Series --> Custom Clear Res

Did you just get hit in the head with a heavy object? Because obviously you're failing at reading comprehension.

Xtreme Member
    Maybe contact Intel and get an answer. If you play the "I think something wrong with my CPU" they might tell you something. Probably what everyone else said...a slip in quality control.

Xtreme Member
    the retail cpu is not flat at all.. at the first look it might seems flat, but if look carefully, it is concave.. and that makes the contact very poor

yes lapping is the answer, but cant we complaint to Intel for selling such horrible IHS?
    Intel Core i7 870,
    MSI P55 GD65,
    4x 2048mb DDR3 1600 Corsair Dominator,
    Sapphire 5870,
    Corsair HX850W,
    2x 640GB WD sata II,
    1x 1TB WD Sata III,

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Everyone speaks of how concave the IHS is.. can someone post a picture to show the spread of thermal paste using the stock HSF? Maybe the mounting pressure is enough to flatten the IHS a little bit?
    i7 3770k - p8z77-v pro - 4x4gb - gtx680 - vertex 4 256gb - ax750
    i5 3570k - z77-pro3 - 2x4gb - arc-1231ml - 12x2tb wdgp r6 - cx400
    heatware

Xtreme Cruncher
    Quote Originally Posted by zoob
    Maybe the mounting pressure is enough to flatten the IHS a little bit?
    lol?
    Core 2 Quad Q6600 @ 3GHz . DFI DK P45-T2RS Plus . XFX 9800GT 512MB . 8GB OCZ Blade PC2-9200 . WD6400AAKS AHCI .
    Creative X-Fi XtremeMusic . Hanns.G 28" LCD . Thermalright U120-E . Seasonic S12 600w . Windows 7 Professional E Retail x64 .

Xtreme Member
    Everyone speaks of how concave the IHS is.. can someone post a picture to show the spread of thermal paste using the stock HSF? Maybe the mounting pressure is enough to flatten the IHS a little bit?
    sorry but i'm too lazy to reopen my zalman cnp9500(issit correct, forgot the name already )

but in my case, artic silver i used remain at the same place when i opened the stock hsf a day after. and the base of the hsf looks very clean..

i also tried scythe ninja, and same thing happen..

since the center of the IHS is deeper than the side, so i might do some lapping at the edge of the IHS, to make it on par with the center of the IHS. i dont want to lap the whole IHS bcoz the wordings on the IHS will disappear
    Intel Core i7 870,
    MSI P55 GD65,
    4x 2048mb DDR3 1600 Corsair Dominator,
    Sapphire 5870,
    Corsair HX850W,
    2x 640GB WD sata II,
    1x 1TB WD Sata III,

Admin
    Maybe the mounting pressure is enough to flatten the IHS a little bit?
    We have a winner....too bad stock Intel mounting system can't provide quite enough pressure (because the boards can't take it....unlike boards of yore, the LGA775 boards do not like to warped in the slightest). The best way to get it flat is to lap it. When I lapped my E6700ES, took quite some time to see scuffs (320Grit) in the center.

As for the sharp edges....definitely looks like a QC boo-boo.

Admin
    There are several possibilities. I think lawrywild is probably right...sort of. It missed something in the manufacturing process, but they clearly let it go for sale anyways. QC probably determined that it was in good enough condition to sell---maybe not as a retail though. Even if such an IHS turns out to be a rarity, I think it shows that blips occur in OEMs if nothing else.

Xtreme X.I.P.
    i think they probably contracted out another OEM to make those IHS's.

Maybe the two different oems have different process to make them... dunno

good photos tho
    CPU: Intel CORE 2 Duo E6550 @ 3.6GHz w/ 1.29vcore (517*7)
    Motherboard:
    Gigabyte P35-DQ6
    Memory:
    Crucial 8500's
    Video:
    Nvidia 8800GTX
    PSU:
    Zippy 700W (fan modded of course)

Does anyone know how thick the IHS cover is? A very bad ripple due to sharp edges might not be removed (with lapping) if the lap would remove too much material. Thickness sounds like an important piece of information. Anyone??

Xtreme Cruncher
    Quote Originally Posted by Kango
    Does anyone know how thick the IHS cover is? A very bad ripple due to sharp edges might not be removed (with lapping) if the lap would remove too much material. Thickness sounds like an important piece of information. Anyone??
    Lets just say I doubt it's THAT bad..

Here are some pics of my Conroe E6600 retail B2 ...

http://gallery.weyland.be/v/Computer...ware/C2D/core/

It's not at all concave like some others ...
    weyland.be | system specs

I'll eat my shorts when AMD/ATI can come out with something that can counter an C2DX8000 with QuadSLI 7950GX2 on a Intel 975X chipset board when official Forceware drivers come through.

Xtreme Cruncher
    Quote Originally Posted by selder

You can hardly see anything from the angle you've taken those pictures from.

the camera needs to be at the level of the top of the IHS with a lamp on the other side of the blade...

Quote Originally Posted by lawrywild
    You can hardly see anything from the angle you've taken those pictures from.

the camera needs to be at the level of the top of the IHS with a lamp on the other side of the blade...
    True ... but I'm not gonna dismount my Zalman 7700 just to proove it's flat as a ... < insert really flat thing here >
    weyland.be | system specs

I'll eat my shorts when AMD/ATI can come out with something that can counter an C2DX8000 with QuadSLI 7950GX2 on a Intel 975X chipset board when official Forceware drivers come through.

I am Xtreme
    QC failed, bottom line I have seen worst then that with dents on the corners.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Unoriginal Macho Energy
    Quote Originally Posted by selder

Selder, your IHS is like my SHARP ONE!! This proves that it is NOT a QC issue... some are sharp edged and some are beveled! Take this one for example:

http://gallery.weyland.be/v/Computer...68f5464368031c

Admin
    And we have another over at OCF also with the sharp edges...:o...this certainly looks deliberate.

Xtreme Addict
    My retail E6600 has the sharp edges and was REAL flat. I lapped it and was amazed that the first pass on the ol' wet or dry scuffed the entire thing. VERY FLAT for an IHS. Now the south brdige however, that took some sanding.

Xtreme Member
    That is really interesting, why would Intel switch IHS's? Are the newer ones cheaper? this really confuses me

XS in Sin City
    Looks like a different machining process in that the sharp edged IHS is actually CNC'd from a billet whilst the other is pressed like how a coin is made...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast